Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Phosphorus from Phosphor-bronze

elementcollector1 - 5-6-2013 at 10:44

From Wiki, the phosphorus content of phosphor-bronze is ~1% by mass. So, if we took a 100g phosphor-bronze sheet and dissolved it in nitric acid to get rid of the tin and copper, we would get around 1g P (in what allotrope, I have no idea, although I assume red).

Has anyone tried this before? I assume red P is inert to nitric acid, although if not other acids such as H2SO4 and HCl plus H2O2 could be substituted. Given the common occurence of phosphor-bronze in various electrical parts, musical instruments/parts, and other uses, it wouldn't be too difficult to buy a piece and sacrifice it to the phosphorus gods. :D

[Edited on 5-6-2013 by elementcollector1]

woelen - 5-6-2013 at 12:47

The phosphorus in phosphor-bronze most likely is not present as phosphorus, but as metal phosphide (non-stoichiometric). I myself once purchased nickel-phosphorus with approximate constitution Ni3P, but I found this to be useless as a source of phosphorus. It reacts with oxidizing acids like HNO3 with formation of Ni(2+) and H3PO4 and a lot of NO2. With non-oxidizing acids it does not react at all, it is amazingly inert. I am afraid that with other metal/phosphorus alloys it is the same, either they react with the phosphorus being oxidized or escaping as PH3, or they do not react at all.

elementcollector1 - 5-6-2013 at 13:39

Curses, foiled again. Back to high-temp reaction mixes...

papaya - 5-6-2013 at 13:53

What if you use FeCL3 instead of nitric acid?

AndersHoveland - 5-6-2013 at 22:08

Anyway to separate out the phosphorous from copper phosphide?

I also suspect that if we were to react phosphorous triiodide with only a limited stoichiometric quantity of water, it would result in PH3 an I2

[Edited on 6-6-2013 by AndersHoveland]