Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The Short Questions Thread (4)

Pages:  1  ..  24    26

Parakeet - 26-8-2023 at 03:56

Why does magnesium metal turn black in air?

I first believed that it's because the surface oxidizes. But, both MgO and MgCO3 are white, not black.
And I'm not aware of any black magnesium compounds.

Why is this?

clearly_not_atara - 26-8-2023 at 05:31

I think that small particles of unoxidized Mg are incorporated into the tarnish layer, darkening it. Not sure though. Manganese is a common alloying additive for magnesium, but it's used in extremely small amounts (<1%).

yobbo II - 15-9-2023 at 06:46

Would it be a sulphite you are looking at. Silver turnes black (ish).

Yob

yobbo II - 15-9-2023 at 06:47

In the book Introduction to magnetism and magnetic materials by David Jiles page 34 it gives a table
shown below. The figures of x and ur do not seem to make sense (according to the formula below the
table).
Am I missing something or is the table wrong?

Yob

sus.gif - 38kB

khlor - 15-9-2023 at 15:05

has anyone dissolved lead or tin in an alkaline aqueous solution like it can be done with zinc? NaOH preferably?

yobbo II - 15-9-2023 at 15:40

If you want a Sodium Plumbate (I believe it is called) you can dissolve Lead oxide (PbO) in NaOH.

Yob

[Edited on 15-9-2023 by yobbo II]

yobbo II - 21-9-2023 at 11:35

Maths leg up required (get out the spoons)

Can anyone tell me how to get from line 1 to line 2 in the pictures attached.
Thanks,
Yob

mag.gif - 104kBmag_2.gif - 117kB

yobbo II - 3-10-2023 at 16:52

This case is now closed :cool:

B = UoH + UoM

UoM = B - UoH

Divide both sides by H

Uo X = (B/H) - Uo [ X = M/H = susceptance = Ur -1 BTW]

Uo(Ur - 1) = (B/H) - Uo

UoUr - Uo = (B/H) - Uo

B = UoUrH

B = U H

and the second one

B = Uo(H + M)

B = Uo(Ni/L + M) H = Ni/L

B = UoUr(HI/L) FROM RESULT ABOVE

B = U Ni/L

Ni = BL/U

Cheers,
Yob

yobbo II - 16-10-2023 at 16:04

Hello,

Not too sure if this is appropriate here .. but

I am trying to sort a spread sheet on a certain columb.
The columb in questing contains a very large number, 15 digits.
I do not want to sort the sheet on the actual value of this number but rather on the value of the last three digits of the number.
In other words I want to sort the sheet using the last three digits of the columb containing the very large number.
Cannot figure it out. Using a fairly old version of excell.
If I could AND the number with 0000000000000111 (12 zeroes and three ones) I would strip away the digits I do not want (create a new columb and sort on the new columb but I am unable to do this AND.

Cheers,
Yob

B(a)P - 16-10-2023 at 16:35

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  

Hello,

Not too sure if this is appropriate here .. but

I am trying to sort a spread sheet on a certain columb.
The columb in questing contains a very large number, 15 digits.
I do not want to sort the sheet on the actual value of this number but rather on the value of the last three digits of the number.
In other words I want to sort the sheet using the last three digits of the columb containing the very large number.
Cannot figure it out. Using a fairly old version of excell.
If I could AND the number with 0000000000000111 (12 zeroes and three ones) I would strip away the digits I do not want (create a new columb and sort on the new columb but I am unable to do this AND.

Cheers,
Yob

Insert a new column.
In the first row of your new column include the formula
=RIGHT(A1,3)
assuming your large number is in column A starting in row one, so the first number you want to sort is in cell A1.
Drag the formula to the bottom of the sheet.
Select all of the columns that you want to sort and sort by your new column.
Is this what you were trying to achieve?

solo - 16-10-2023 at 20:04

....i have 2-tert butyl-1-phenyl ethanol and i want to nitrate the ring, i was thinking of using anhydrous ethanol as my solvent since the material is a powder, or can someone suggest another solvent that i can use.....solo

[Edited on 18-10-2023 by solo]

yobbo II - 17-10-2023 at 13:21

Thanks alot B(a)P,

That was exactly what I needed.
There is still a small problem but only a small one. I need to do the sorting very seldom.

It may be just a software glitch from using old Works.

When I paste in my info. the column (col A) with the large number gets pasted in in scientific notation (the number in notepad before pasting is just a simple 15 digit number).
I convert the column (A) to text and the number stayes as scientific notation.
The only way to 'convert' back to a 15 digit number is to double click on the number.
Sounds a bit weird.
Any suggestions?
The picture explaines things a bit better.

Thanks alot,
Yob

@solo appologies for talking over you!

exel.gif - 137kB

[Edited on 17-10-2023 by yobbo II]

B(a)P - 17-10-2023 at 14:03

Thanks alot B(a)P,

When I paste in my info. the column (col A) with the large number gets pasted in in scientific notation (the number in notepad before pasting is just a simple 15 digit number).
I convert the column (A) to text and the number stayes as scientific notation.
The only way to 'convert' back to a 15 digit number is to double click on the number.
Sounds a bit weird.
Any suggestions?

[Edited on 17-10-2023 by yobbo II]

Make the column wide enough to accomodate 15 digits. Select the column, then format as a number and it should go back to non-scientific notation. The default format for numbers is two decimal places so you may need to fix that as well by pressing the decrease decimal button a couple of times.

Dr.Bob - 18-10-2023 at 09:03

Or just use the MOD function and do X MOD 1000, which will return only the remainder of a division by 1000. For the text to work, you would need to use right(text(X,0),3) or something like that to convert the number to text, then use the right 3 digits. You can also use the format cell feature to set the cells to "text", where numbers are not converted to a real value, but saved as the text characters, and then right(x,3) will work.

yobbo II - 18-10-2023 at 14:46

I cannot get the =MOD(Ax, 1xxx) to work as the sheet gives an error. This must be a bug?
Both B2 and B3 are formatted as numbers. Setting greater number of decimal places does not help (It should not matter anyways)
See the picture

I got the sheet to work with the following:

I used the =string(Ax,0) (same as =text(xxx) I guess) to convert to general format this gets rid of the scientific notation
followed by =right(Ax, 4) to give me the four digits to sort on.

Thanks for you time

mod_error.gif - 39kB

Dr.Bob - 18-10-2023 at 16:54

I just checked and it seemed to work fine for me:

=MOD(2387373278378,1000) provides 378 for me.

but if the text way worked, that is fine as well.

Fluorite - 24-10-2023 at 01:27

Can copper sulfide be made by electrolysis sodium sulfide solution using copper anode? will the rest of the solution be just sodium hydroxide?

DraconicAcid - 24-10-2023 at 11:13

I wouldn't expect so- I'd guess that the anode would become coated with non-conductive copper(II) sulphide. If you had any other copper salt in solution or suspension, it should react with the sodium sulphide solution to give CuS, which is ridiculously insoluble.

solo - 4-11-2023 at 07:52

...help finding the correct name for compound ...i tried 2-ethyltert butylamine-1-phenylbenzoate ...but no results....its a steroid precursor .....solo

unknown namen of compound.jpg - 68kB

[Edited on 4-11-2023 by solo]

Bedlasky - 11-11-2023 at 08:00

2-(tert-butylamino)-1-phenylethyl acetate

solo - 11-11-2023 at 15:34

...thanks Bedlasky any suggestions on the type of solvent to use in a p-nitration of this 2-(tert-butylamino)-1-phenylethyl acetate or its 2-(tert-butylamino)-1-phenylethanol alcohol.....solo

note: I have searched around and found two candidatea, methanol and DCM

[Edited on 12-11-2023 by solo]

FableP - 11-11-2023 at 18:51

Likely a very noob question here, I have seen a synthesis for hydroxylamine HCL where nitromethane and HCl are refluxed for many hours, similarly I've seen the same for hydroxylamine sulphate with nitromethane and sulphuric acid, however when looking on how to synthesise hydroxylamine nitrate, most synthesis point towards reacting barium nitrate with hydroxylamine sulphate.
Will the following proceed to hydroxylamine nitrate: CH3NO2 + HNO3 + H2O → [NH3OH]NO3 + HCOOH
or is some other reaction pathway followed for a different product?

Bedlasky - 12-11-2023 at 09:46

I don't think that this will work. Hydroxylamine is strong reducing agent and refluxing it with HNO3 will probably destroy it. It could be actually pretty dangerous, because hydroxylamine reacts with some oxidizing agents pretty violently even in aqueous solution:

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/hydroxylami...

I hope you know that hydroxylammonium nitrate is explosive.

FableP - 12-11-2023 at 17:27

I'm planning a HiPEP project. It looks like BaNO3 might be the way to go.

j_sum1 - 12-11-2023 at 20:37

Quote: Originally posted by FableP  
I'm planning a HiPEP project. It looks like BaNO3 might be the way to go.

HiPEP??
I have no idea if you are taking about a herbal remedy claimed to cure intestinal bloating or High Power Electric Propulsion.

Please make your posts clear.
In the meantime, the formula for barium nitrate is Ba(NO3)2.

FableP - 12-11-2023 at 21:53

High Powered Electric Propulsion - Electric solid propellant

http://eplab.ae.illinois.edu/Publications/IEPC-2019-421.pdf
and
https://scholarsmine.mst.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=383...

Table 1: Chemical composition of the High Performance Electric Propellant (HIPEP).

Hydroxyl Ammonium Nitrate (HAN) (NH3OH)+ NO3 - 75%
Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) CH2CH(OH) - 20%
Ammonium Nitrate (AN) NH4NO3 - 5%

Thanks for pointing out the correct formula for barium nitrate.

j_sum1 - 12-11-2023 at 22:28

Mmm.
I am always a bit concerned when someone who can't balance an ionic formula starts playing around with significant quantities of energetics.

Be aware also that barium compounds are toxic to humans and the environment. Make sure you manage the risks and have a dispisal plan.

Why does the nitrate ion exist?

Sulaiman - 13-11-2023 at 06:11

The obvious answer is, because it does.
But the charge distributions make no sense to me
(I get the idea of resonance but don't understand why the ion is stable)
(is it the surrounding water molecules that stabilise it?)
anyone have an answer that I might understand?

clearly_not_atara - 13-11-2023 at 08:43

Symmetry!

Nitrate has three resonances:

(ON+(O-)O- + O-N+(O)O- + O-N+(O-)O) / sqrt(3)

According to the uncertainty principle, the more space an electron orbital occupies, the smaller the associated kinetic energy it requires to be admissible. It's got nothing to do with water molecules or other coordinations; the stability of alkali metal nitrates increases with ion size:

CsNO3 > RbNO3 > KNO3 > NaNO3 > LiNO3

with CsNO3 stable to around 700 C and LiNO3 decomposing below 400 C. Of course, this is precisely opposite to the coordination strength of the ions. And indeed the hydrogen compound is already slowly decomposing at room temperature.

Iron (II) sulfate

Chemgineer - 6-12-2023 at 14:45

I bought some sulfate of iron fertilizer from a garden centre wit the aim of purifying it to some FeSO4 crystals. When dissolved in water there was allot of light brown material which passed through my filter so I left it to settle for 24 hours.

I managed to pour off a nice green coloured solution and discarded the brown sludge.

I then tried to boil some of this down with the idea to drop out some crystals of iron sulfate.

What I notice is that as it is heated and concentrated I get a brown residue on the beaker and my solution become more cloudy. Is Iron II Sulfate difficult to purify? I see it might produce brown oxides in the presence of water.

Would I be better pouring it all into a big bucket and simply allowing it to evaporate over a few weeks to grow crystals?

DraconicAcid - 6-12-2023 at 14:52

The brown crud is from oxidation of iron(II) to iron(III), which happily precipitates as various forms of rust. You might try adding excess sulphuric acid to prevent this.

Chemgineer - 6-12-2023 at 15:06

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
The brown crud is from oxidation of iron(II) to iron(III), which happily precipitates as various forms of rust. You might try adding excess sulphuric acid to prevent this.

You are of course right, I just added some sulphuric acid to my hot boiling solution and it has gone from brown to green! I am learning!

DraconicAcid - 6-12-2023 at 17:00

PS- if you're looking to get crystals, rather than just purifying the compound, I believe double salts such as (NH4)2Fe(SO4)2 give better crystals than the plain sulphate.

Thorium nitrate

Sir_Gawain - 14-12-2023 at 07:50

Will ThO2 dissolve in nitric acid?

[Edited on 12-14-2023 by Sir_Gawain]

woelen - 15-12-2023 at 00:12

I don't think so, or only with great difficulty. ThO2, like many other oxides, is quite inert if it is calcined.
When it is freshly prepared from aqueous solution, then you have some hydrous form ThO2.xH2O, which easily dissolves in acids. These hydrous oxides (or mixed oxides/hydroxides??) are quite different from the anhydrous calcined oxides.

Sir_Gawain - 26-12-2023 at 15:51

Could molecular sieves be used to dry nitric or sulfuric acids? I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t work for nitric, but I’m probably missing something.

[Edited on 12-26-2023 by Sir_Gawain]

Sir_Gawain - 26-12-2023 at 16:02

Never mind. I just tried it with some azeotropic nitric acid and it completely destroyed the sieves.

solo - 2-3-2024 at 07:34

...trying to find the name the 4-amine of 2-tertbutylamine-1-pheny ethanol,...can;t seem to get the right name so i can get some specs and physical properties....could use some help!!:(...solo

note:

its something like this..

4-amino-N-(tert-butyl)benzamide , but its an amine

[Edited on 2-3-2024 by solo]

clearly_not_atara - 2-3-2024 at 08:46

CAS 56138-70-6:

https://www.lookchem.com/ProductWholeProperty_LCPL1207016.ht...

https://academic.oup.com/jpp/article-abstract/15/1/26/621701...

Aka 1-p-aminophenyl-2-t-butylaminoethanol.

Quote:
Never mind. I just tried it with some azeotropic nitric acid and it completely destroyed the sieves.

Lmao. Remember that mol sieves are usually NaAlSiO4.

[Edited on 2-3-2024 by clearly_not_atara]

yobbo II - 6-3-2024 at 08:02

Can anyone tell me how this water pump, made from tubing and an air pump, works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IUUoU2RUI

yob

bnull - 6-3-2024 at 08:58

Can anyone tell me how this water pump, made from tubing and an air pump, works?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IUUoU2RUI

It doesn't. There's a real pump inside the pond. You can see that, when he plugs the inlet tube, the end of the tube that's inside the water gets lodged in something. Also, there's a (crude) jump cut from 11:13 to 11:14. Just look at the other pond in the background (top right corner). It suddenly gets brighter.

Let's make a simple calculation. He claims that the thing is able to pump 280 m3 in one hour. One m3 is equal to 1000 L, so the rate is 280000 L of water per hour. It amounts to 280000/60=4666,7 L per minute, or 280000/3600=77,8 L per second. Almost 80 liters of water on each second. Using a fridge compressor. Of course it doesn't work.

Bullshit, scam, clickbait. Call it whatever you want. If you don't believe me, his next video should convince you:
bs.png - 12kB

For Chrissake.

[Edited on 6-3-2024 by bnull]

The Chrissake is directed to the pump guy, not you. Those Physics violators make me real mad.

mr_bovinejony - 6-3-2024 at 09:31

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1641005A/en

Why in this patent is mentioned a molar equivalent of alcohol is used to a molar equivalent of sulfuryl chloride but in the equation 2 molar of alcohol is used?

yobbo II - 6-3-2024 at 10:05

Thanks bnull,

Perhaps the 'for christsakes' should be directed at my too!

I did notice the LARGE 280m^3

There a a few more dudes going with the same idea. Is it for the ad's and they get paid?

Anyhow reading the comments I had to laugh. Most not in english so I cannot understand.

'According to fluid mechanics, this is impossible. Are you hiding a pump somewhere?'

Some not so great english but funny.

'Very informative... I try this in my newly buy refrigerator... And now I'm at the hospital,, because my wife hit me with the newly buy hammer.. '

I will reward my self with the icon_rolleyes.gif - 485B *

Yob

*Appologies Yob, but you deserve it.

[Edited on 6-3-2024 by yobbo II]

bnull - 6-3-2024 at 11:32

There a a few more dudes going with the same idea. Is it for the ad's and they get paid?

Yep. And the subscribers. The chances of a subscriber watching their crap are greater than a random dude who simply gets it recommended by YouTube. More views=>more subscribers=>more money. And as the chances of their "content" getting demonetized are remote, they keep doing that. That's sad, to be honest.

@mr_bovinejony: The formula says that one mole of sulfuryl chloride reacts with two moles of ethanol. The molecular equivalent is the quantity that reacts with one molecule of ethanol. For one molecule of ethanol you would need half molecule of SO2Cl2, which sounds pretty weird until you notice that its about molar masses and not real molecules. It's the same as equivalent weight or equivalent mass.

Beginning at line 42, one molecular equivalent of SO2Cl2 means half mole. You have half mole of sulfuryl chloride to one mole of ethanol. In lines 86-89, he uses double the amount of sulfuryl chloride to make sure there's no ethyl hydrogen sulfate left in the solution. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

The patent is from 1927, and the mole became a standard unit only in the early 1970s. The books I learned chemistry from were printed in the late 1950s/early1960s and I had to adjust to using moles in high school.

Sir_Gawain - 6-3-2024 at 13:09

'Very informative... I try this in my newly buy refrigerator... And now I'm at the hospital,, because my wife hit me with the newly buy hammer..
[Edited on 6-3-2024 by yobbo II]

WHAT?!

clearly_not_atara - 6-3-2024 at 21:51

I didn't know Yakov Smirnov posted here

mr_bovinejony - 16-3-2024 at 05:32

This is probably a bit of a stretch but I vaguely remember a procedure with triphosgene that says it can be heated at 80c to release a very slow stream of the gas, the most controllable reaction with the stuff I have read about. It may have been in a phosgene book but I can't find it. Anyone have any idea where this idea may have come from?

bnull - 18-3-2024 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by mr_bovinejony  
This is probably a bit of a stretch but I vaguely remember a procedure with triphosgene that says it can be heated at 80c to release a very slow stream of the gas, the most controllable reaction with the stuff I have read about. It may have been in a phosgene book but I can't find it. Anyone have any idea where this idea may have come from?

Are you sure you're not confusing the decomposition temperature with the melting point? Triphosgene melts at 80 °C and starts decomposing above 200 °C. It can be used as a phosgene substitute in the presence of a nucleophile (Heiner Eckert; Barbara Forster (1987). "Triphosgene, a Crystalline Phosgene Substitute". Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 26 (9): 894–895). That sort of fits your description.

mr_bovinejony - 18-3-2024 at 14:31

No, not confusing the two. It also mentioned stopping the reaction was as easy as removing the heat and letting it become a solid again. But it seems likely that 80c wasn't the right temperature I was thinking of. It was certainly lower than 160 though.

bnull - 18-3-2024 at 15:21

Hmm. Could it be this book?

[Edited on 18-3-2024 by bnull]

phosgene.jpg - 53kB

mr_bovinejony - 18-3-2024 at 16:41

Nope but I do love that book lol. Theres another shortter one called the recent advances in phosgene chemistry, these are the only two books I have on phosgene

mr_bovinejony - 18-3-2024 at 16:42

Nope but I do love that book lol. Theres another shortter one called the recent advances in phosgene chemistry, these are the only two books I have on phosgene

bnull - 18-3-2024 at 17:00

What about "A mild and efficient method for the preparation of acyl azides from carboxylic acids using triphosgene" (Tetrahedron Letters 43 (2002) 1345–1346)? Edit: No, it isn't.

Do you remember what was the reaction?

[Edited on 19-3-2024 by bnull]

yobbo II - 27-3-2024 at 13:58

Could someone tell me what is meant by the feature on these true RMS meters?

AC + DC Measurement

The meters are at this link>

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003126913969.html?src=go...
It is circled on the picture

TIA,
Yob

acdc.gif - 90kB

[Edited on 27-3-2024 by yobbo II]

B(a)P - 27-3-2024 at 14:54

AC + DC Measurement

The meters are at this link>

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003126913969.html?src=go...
It is circled on the picture

TIA,
Yob

[Edited on 27-3-2024 by yobbo II]

eevblog is a great resource for electronics questions. Check out this thread.

bnull - 27-3-2024 at 15:04

AC + DC Measurement

When the voltage has a component AC and a component DC (DC offset), ordinary meters measure either the AC component or the DC component but not both at the same time. The AC+DC meter measures both and outputs this:
$$V_{RMS_{(AC+DC)}}=\sqrt{V_{DC}^2+V_{RMS_{AC}}^2}.$$
It's for those times when you want to know the power dissipation in a resistor, for example.

Edit: Victim of ninja attack because of a typo in LaTeX. You won't get me next time, B(a)P, mark my words. :D

[Edited on 27-3-2024 by bnull]

yobbo II - 28-3-2024 at 05:43

Thanks you folks.
Yob

wg48temp9 - 4-4-2024 at 18:56

Quote: Originally posted by bnull  

AC + DC Measurement

When the voltage has a component AC and a component DC (DC offset), ordinary meters measure either the AC component or the DC component but not both at the same time. The AC+DC meter measures both and outputs this:
$$V_{RMS_{(AC+DC)}}=\sqrt{V_{DC}^2+V_{RMS_{AC}}^2}.$$

If you mean it performs that sum then that is incorrect. A true rms meter simple calculates the rms of the signal be it AC, DC or a combination of both.

Notice the first multimeter (UT8802) is not a true rms meter and has modes for DC and modes for AC. In AC mode it measures the mean rectified signal then increases it by 0.11 assuming its a sine wave. The ratio of the rms to the mean of rectified sine wave is 1.11. If you measured the rms of a + and - square wave it would give reading 0.11 too large.

The true rms multimeters (UT8803, I don't know about UT8804) do not have different ranges for AC and DC, its not needed because they calculate the true rms.

Modern true reading multimeters sample the signal and calculate the rms from the samples. The expensive UT8805 even provides different functions it can perform on the samples.

[Edited on 4/5/2024 by wg48temp9]

bnull - 5-4-2024 at 01:47

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
If you mean it performs that sum then that is incorrect. A true rms meter simple calculates the rms of the signal be it AC, DC or a combination of both.

"AC+DC measurement: Measure signals with AC and DC components (including various waveforms)
Ordinary multimeters can only measure pure AC/DC signals. If the measured AC signal is mixed with the DC signal, the AC signal reading is meaningless. For Uni-Trend’s multimeters with AC+DC function, the AC and DC components are measured together." (https://meters.uni-trend.com/faqs/acdc-measurement/)

"AC and DC are components of a complex signal.
AC Voltage means RMS Voltage for AC component (effective Voltage of alternating current).
DC Voltage means Voltage for DC component (constant Voltage offset).

Both components produce power dissipation on the applied load.
So, you're needs to sum them together in order to get effective Voltage for a total dissipated power.

AC+DC Voltage = sqrt([AC RMS Voltage]^2 + [DC Voltage]^2)" (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/can-someone-explain-...)

"If you are expecting to include the DC component, but the meter is AC coupled, the results can be dramatically wrong. As a side note, if you need to measure a small AC signal riding on a large DC offset but your meter doesn’t provide AC + DC directly, you can measure the AC component using AC coupling and measure the DC component separately. Then add the two using rms addition:
AC + DC =sqrt((ACrms)2+DC2)" (Make Better AC RMS Measurements with your Digital Multimeter. Application note, Keysight Technologies, 2018. There's a bloody typo in the formula that they never bothered to fix.)

True-RMS Measurement Pt.1: AC vs. AC+DC. "Roger demonstrates the difference between so called "True-RMS" (only AC) and "True-RMS AC+DC" multimeters and a simple AC-averaging multimeter." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEie3nAo1E) meter1.jpg - 85kB

I don't know about UT8804

That's the one in question:

meter.jpg - 154kB

[Edited on 5-4-2024 by bnull]

wg48temp9 - 7-4-2024 at 01:12

I have now had time to view the details of UT8804.

Below is a snip of the selection switch for the UT8804:

rms04Screenshot 2024-04-07 072929.jpg - 75kB

I think the symbol next to all the current ranges is intended to indicate mixed AC and DC signals which are measured true rms ie calculating the rms from a set of samples of the signal DC coupled. I think some people are calling this "AC + DC" mode.

On the voltage range there or two different symbols one usually indicates AC and the other DC. I would expect the AC range to be AC coupled and measures the RMS of the AC component. Does the DC position indicate average or rms ?

The UT8803 only uses the mixed symbol that the current ranges of the UT8804 uses. Meaning it only measures true rms DC coupled

I suspect the tick in AC+DC column for the 04 refers to the two voltage ranges, AC range and DC range that the 03 does not have.

I am very interested in these meters as they both have a usb interface. I expect to purchase the 03. If I want to measure the AC component of a mixed AC and DC voltage l I will add a series capacitor to one of the test leads.

[Edited on 4/7/2024 by wg48temp9]

bnull - 7-4-2024 at 06:47

I think the symbol next to all the current ranges is intended to indicate mixed AC and DC signals which are measured true rms ie calculating the rms from a set of samples of the signal DC coupled. I think some people are calling this "AC + DC" mode.

On the voltage range there or two different symbols one usually indicates AC and the other DC. I would expect the AC range to be AC coupled and measures the RMS of the AC component. Does the DC position indicate average or rms ?

The UT8803 only uses the mixed symbol that the current ranges of the UT8804 uses. Meaning it only measures true rms DC coupled

I suspect the tick in AC+DC column for the 04 refers to the two voltage ranges, AC range and DC range that the 03 does not have.

I am very interested in these meters as they both have a usb interface. I expect to purchase the 03. If I want to measure the AC component of a mixed AC and DC voltage l I will add a series capacitor to one of the test leads.
[Edited on 4/7/2024 by wg48temp9]

Read the UT8804E manual (http://unitrend.oss-cn-hongkong.aliyuncs.com/upload/file/202...), starting on page 9.

mr_bovinejony - 25-4-2024 at 18:05

Will clemmensen reduce 3 bromo benzaldehyde to 3 bromo toluene or will it remove the bromine?

clearly_not_atara - 26-4-2024 at 05:32

Quote: Originally posted by mr_bovinejony  
Will clemmensen reduce 3 bromo benzaldehyde to 3 bromo toluene or will it remove the bromine?

Not sure but I do know that this method will reduce the aldehyde without affecting the bromine:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ja01860a035

mr_bovinejony - 26-4-2024 at 14:05

Very cool, now just gotta find some hydantion or hippuric acid

EF2000 - 26-4-2024 at 21:53

Hydantoin is easily prepared from glycine and urea: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...

mr_bovinejony - 27-4-2024 at 02:42

Awesome, though not a fan of the 50 hour reflux mentioned in the paper when they reduce o-chlorobenzylhydantoin. Guess this will be a last resort option
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26