Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Aliexpress Synthware Store - Too Good to Be True?

malford - 2-10-2013 at 09:31

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/223140

Aliexpress is an offshoot of Alibaba, a place where Chinese manufacturers connect to retailers abroad. Aliexpress seems to be aimed towards the Chinese selling directly to consumers abroad using very cheap shipping. By cutting out the multiple middlemen who are typically involved, one can save a large amount.

In this store, I've found, for example, a brand-new 500mm 24/40 Graham condenser for $29. A lot of these prices are far cheaper than even Laboy.

Does anyone have some feedback on this store or brand? It seems too good to be true.

BobD1001 - 2-10-2013 at 10:53

What a great find! I have used Aliexpress many times, and have never been let down. Everything I have ever bought through Aliexpress has been unbelievably under-priced, yet still great quality. Shipping can be slow, but its well worth the price. I know where I'm buying any future glassware! Also, as you probably know, synthware is excellent quality.

MichiganMadScientist - 2-10-2013 at 15:24

A lot of Synthware glass on this website. My professor was big on using this stuff in his graduate research lab, since its fairly affordable. I'm still a big believer in the US made brands like Pyrex, Kimax, Wilmad, and even Roccoware.

But, I still own a few Synthware items that don't require heating (like a separatory funnel, etc.). Nice find. Thanks for sharing.... :)

Funkerman23 - 4-10-2013 at 23:02

Some of these images aren't too focused, I've got a few catalog PDFs( incomplete apparently..) and a number of these glass pieces aren't listed. That being said, those jacketed coiled condensers are a fair bit cheaper that the reseller Chemglass ones.If thier quality is good enough it would help a lot.Good to see they have more options than Laboy on thermometers. If any of you have bought 10/18 thermometers from Laboy you'll know two things: the first being they are synthware and two Laboy does not sell the -20 to320 degree jointed thermometers on their site.Weather or not the metallic filling is actually mercury ( I much prefer real mercury) is up for debate. given the above; it looks like here will have to do. Shame none of these three neck RBFs are vertical either but hey not bad at all. US made stuff is amazing, no lie , but these guys are good, at least for our general needs.

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by Funkerman23]

PeeWee2000 - 5-10-2013 at 18:15

Excellent find indeed they even have socketed mercury thermometers :o!

Almost all my glassware is synthware minus a few pyrex and chemglass ones, I've never noticed any quality issues with their glassware as long as I've had it either. Definitely ordering from here next time I need something!

malford - 24-10-2013 at 17:37

I placed my order a little while ago and have been wondering why the tracking number was not retrieving any information. The sales rep responded to my inquiry and said that my 500mm graham condenser was over the 60cm limit for the cheap Chinese shipping service so he spent $40 to use FedEx. My whole order was $60 for the condenser, a long stem vacuum adapter and shipping. They won a few points for that. I'll post again when I receive it.

malford - 4-11-2013 at 15:22

Received order today. 500mm graham condenser and long stem vacuum adapter. All looks legit and is in perfect condition. Help me keep these guys in business.

BobD1001 - 4-11-2013 at 17:45

Malford, how was the shipping time for your condenser?

Funkerman23 - 4-11-2013 at 23:49

My mistake: the sell plenty of vertical necked RBFs and a lot more. This is good general use glass. Don't be afraid to buy.
Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
Some of these images aren't too focused, I've got a few catalog PDFs( incomplete apparently..) and a number of these glass pieces aren't listed. That being said, those jacketed coiled condensers are a fair bit cheaper that the reseller Chemglass ones.If thier quality is good enough it would help a lot.Good to see they have more options than Laboy on thermometers. If any of you have bought 10/18 thermometers from Laboy you'll know two things: the first being they are synthware and two Laboy does not sell the -20 to320 degree jointed thermometers on their site.Weather or not the metallic filling is actually mercury ( I much prefer real mercury) is up for debate. given the above; it looks like here will have to do. Shame none of these three neck RBFs are vertical either but hey not bad at all. US made stuff is amazing, no lie , but these guys are good, at least for our general needs.

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by Funkerman23]

confused - 23-11-2013 at 04:35

i bought some glassware from the aliexpress sythware store recently.

300mm vigruex condenser
3 way distillation adapter
vacuum takeoff adapter

all joints are 24/40

shipping took about a week after the order was processed
all items arrived safely, adequate padding was used during shipping.




scimad.jpg - 191kB

Funkerman23 - 9-1-2014 at 01:53

be forewarned: unless they update in a few hours I think they're sold out/ no longer stock 10/18 jointed thermometers. Not happy about this as the OP Aliexpress store was the only source that sold the 300 C ( I think) jointed thermometers that I know of but I thought you folks might want to know. On the plus side I found a few cannulas on their page.

confused - 9-1-2014 at 03:07

It really takes quite some time for them to update on orders, and didn't get any customer support from them

vmelkon - 9-1-2014 at 15:25

Quote: Originally posted by confused  
i bought some glassware from the aliexpress sythware store recently.

300mm vigruex condenser
3 way distillation adapter
vacuum takeoff adapter

all joints are 24/40

shipping took about a week after the order was processed
all items arrived safely, adequate padding was used during shipping.



I don't care much about the shipping time.
How much is the shipping?
Because I bought a couple of things on eBay and shipping cost has become ridiculous (USA to Canada). The shipping cost is always higher than the item. I bought 1000 mL separatory funnel Kimax and a 500 mL RBF Pyrex separately.
Shipping was 30$ and 19$.

confused - 10-1-2014 at 01:21

vmelkon , you can add to cart the items that you want and when u visit the shoppig cart, you can select the country and shipping options, and they will calculate the shipping based on your information

vmelkon - 10-1-2014 at 06:10

Quote: Originally posted by confused  
vmelkon , you can add to cart the items that you want and when u visit the shoppig cart, you can select the country and shipping options, and they will calculate the shipping based on your information


Wow, it is cheap. A 40 mm liebeg for 15$ and 18$ shipping. The USA equivalent shipping is 30$ for shipping.

Loptr - 20-4-2015 at 12:55

I have several items from Synthware and am very happy with them. The only kicker is the shipping, which for me, is typically around $90 compared to a mid $400 subtotal. The shipping could be worse, I guess.

The glassware is very good quality. Their items on the Aliexpress site seem to come and go sometimes, which I attribute to possibly the listing expiring, or something, but they always come right back up.

I am actually waiting on shipment of an order currently. Here are the items from my current order.

1 x Distillation receiver, Dean stark, capacity:10ml, Joints:19/22, Stopcock:2mm PTFE, Approx Height* Width:205*75mm
1 x Distillation Apparatus, Microscale, Thermometer Joint:10/18, Joints:19/22 (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Distillation-Apparatus-Micros...)
1 x synthware, Adapter Connecting, Joints:19/22, Length between Joints:90mm
1 x Funnel, Pressure Equalizing, Teflon Metering, Stopcock, Capacity:250ml, Joints:19/22, Stopcock bore:2mm
1 x synthware,Chromatography Column, Column O.D.:26mm, Column I.D.:20.0, Effective Length inch:203mm, Joint:24/40, Stopcock Bore:2mm
1 x synthware,Adapter, Drying tube, straight, Joints:14/20
1 x Distilling receiver, Joints:19/22 (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Distilling-receiver-Joints-19...)
2 x synthware,Bubbler, Mineral Oil, Body O.D.:26mm, Overall Height*Width:185*80mm
1 x Filter Funnel. Buchner, Inner Joint, Capacity:350ml, Joint:24/40, Frit O.D:80mm, Porosity:G3
2 x SYNTHWARE, Adapter, Vacuum or Agron, Joint: 19/22, Hose O.D.:8mm
1 x Flask Erlenmeyer, Joint:24/40, Capacity:1000ml
1 x synthware,Adapter, Vacuum Filtrarion, Lower Joint:19/22, Fits funnel Capacity:2 to 30ml
1 x synthware,Condenser, Liebig, Jacket Length:300mm, Joints:19/22, O.D.hose connection:8mm
5 x Metal clamp for standard taper joint, joint:19/22
1 x Synthware,Condenser, Internal coil, Jacketed, Jacket Length:250mm, Joints:19/22, Hose connection:10mm
1 x synthware, Adapter, Distilling,105, Joint:19/22, Height*Width:90*60
1 x Pressure Vessel, Heavy wall, Capacity:350ml, O.D.*Overall.:80*115mm, GL thread Size:15

All of this is definitely cheaper if you were to purchase from any of the Synthware resellers, or even their US-facing company, Kemtech.

[Edited on 20-4-2015 by Loptr]

[Edited on 21-4-2015 by Loptr]

Texium - 21-4-2015 at 10:26

That does look like some really nice stuff actually. Once I have some money to burn I think I'll order the pieces for a little 14/20 distillation kit, something I've been wanting for a while. Perhaps a chromatography column too.

Hellafunt - 23-4-2015 at 11:04

most of my glass is kemtech synthware from ebay , and i am very happy with the quality. no bubbles, everything perfect. good stuff

Molecular Manipulations - 23-4-2015 at 11:45

Just saw this post. I've bought almost my entire lab from this source. There're the best I've found.

DFliyerz - 23-4-2015 at 12:28

You guys, making me drool all over my keyboard...

Mush - 21-5-2015 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
be forewarned: unless they update in a few hours I think they're sold out/ no longer stock 10/18 jointed thermometers. Not happy about this as the OP Aliexpress store was the only source that sold the 300 C ( I think) jointed thermometers that I know of but I thought you folks might want to know. On the plus side I found a few cannulas on their page.


10/18 joint, 25,50,75 mm immersion thermometers ground glass joint
http://www.fengtecex-laborglas.de/english/distillation/

FengTecEx Co. Ltd. is the sales representative of Synthware Glass Co. Ltd. in Europe. :D


Funkerman23 - 21-5-2015 at 18:55

I'm gonna see if they ship to the US.. the shipping might be hideous though..

Molecular Manipulations - 22-5-2015 at 10:54

Another warning about their thermometers. In the two distillation rigs I've bought from them, both had two thermometers, one mercury and the other alcohol. The mercury ones work well, but the others were off by over 10 degrees.

Mush - 22-5-2015 at 12:56


Mush - 22-5-2015 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
I'm gonna see if they ship to the US.. the shipping might be hideous though..


They only ship to Germany. I tried to place an order but Germany is the only available country in their listed countries.:(



Quote:

Another warning about their thermometers. In the two distillation rigs I've bought from them, both had two thermometers, one mercury and the other alcohol. The mercury ones work well, but the others were off by over 10 degrees.


Which company are you refering to? Synthware Glass Co. Ltd.?


aga - 22-5-2015 at 13:07

10 C is a lot, although i always test any thermometer i get.

It's one thing i can easily do !

(None, as in None have ever been 100% correct).

ELRIC - 27-5-2015 at 13:57

I ordered a 500 ml soxhlet and had it within two weeks. They do ship to the US,
and I didn't pay any shipping. It might take a little longer to get, but definetly worth the
time. Only complaint: the extractor didn't come with a thimble. Price: $49 and some change

Zombie - 27-5-2015 at 14:41

Very Nice. I am in the market for one myself.

What was the "brand"? Was it branded? What are your impressions of it?

What month is it where you live?;)

Is that one too many questions? Or is this one too many?

The free shipping kills me. I don't know HOW they pull a profit on China goods...

aga - 27-5-2015 at 14:45

The Chinese just know how to market their goods is all.

be0315 on ebay was doing really cheap glassware 6 months ago.

It's Good Stuff.

I got some, and now the price has more than doubled.

Loss Leader they call it.

Zombie - 27-5-2015 at 15:00

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
The Chinese just know how to market their goods is all.

be0315 on ebay was doing really cheap glassware 6 months ago.

It's Good Stuff.

I got some, and now the price has more than doubled.

Loss Leader they call it.



I've been looking for one w/ a 45/50 base. Do they make them that large?

What is the "thimble" used for?

I know I can look them up but I like showing I am human, and don't know everything.

ELRIC - 27-5-2015 at 15:16

Well, Zom, if I learn how to post pictures on here, ill give y'all a pic. I'm not sure of the brand, but maybe you would be. The "thimble" , not sure if that's the correct term, is where you put the sample that you want to extract something from. I haven't used it yet because I'm just trying to set up my lab for now. It's killing my pocket ordering a little glass each week. Then when that's done is the safety gear:mad: glass seems to be more addictive than beer....

Zombie - 27-5-2015 at 15:34

LOLOLOL

I'm 100% with you there. I have some vague ideas of the types of chemistry I wan to explore but I know myself. Once I begin something I have to explore every aspect, and I usually wind up thousands in the hole when reality slaps me...again.
I'm already improving things I don't yet own. Why build a perfectly good fume hood for 150.00 bucks, when you can build a combo laminar flow / fume hood for 2,000.00 bucks?
Why use anything for a work bench when you can build a monster enclosed in lexan?

Why have a bank account when I'm gonna spend it all anyway? This one I know... My computer does not have a cash taker thing.

Actually I did know what the thimble was. I didn't know what it was called. I just assumed "stuff holder" was it.

Thanks for the help, and keep clear of the science stuff sites. They're worse than drugs. ;)

ELRIC - 27-5-2015 at 15:42

Thanks for the reply. I hear ya loud n clear. Feel the same way. I sent a u2u so as not to derail the thread. If you or somebody can help with posting pics, ill gladly put some on here so everyone can maybe see the quality that comes from AliExpress.


BTW, the RBF that came with it has Chinese markings on it. The rest of the extractor says WEIY

[Edited on 27-5-2015 by ELRIC]

Zombie - 27-5-2015 at 15:45

Back at ya! Shout if you need more help.

9-BBN - 26-6-2015 at 04:52

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I wanted to buy Synthware from Aliexpress, but I want to be sure that it is not a rip-off.
And which payment method did you use for the transaction?

Thanks

Loptr - 26-6-2015 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by 9-BBN  
Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I wanted to buy Synthware from Aliexpress, but I want to be sure that it is not a rip-off.
And which payment method did you use for the transaction?

Thanks


Definitely not a rip-off. Very nice glassware! I was impressed with the pressure equalizing dropping funnel I purchased from them, among all the other glassware I purchased, but this one is different. It has your typical stopcock, except that it has another controller for providing a finer granularity of the flow of the liquid. Its pretty cool actually.

The only downside is shipping. If you aren't ordering much, it's doable, but if you order several pieces, you can expect to pay $80-$100 just to get it to your door. That was what frustrated me.

Texium - 26-6-2015 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Quote: Originally posted by 9-BBN  
Hello Everybody,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I wanted to buy Synthware from Aliexpress, but I want to be sure that it is not a rip-off.
And which payment method did you use for the transaction?

Thanks


Definitely not a rip-off. Very nice glassware! I was impressed with the pressure equalizing dropping funnel I purchased from them, among all the other glassware I purchased, but this one is different. It has your typical stopcock, except that it has another controller for providing a finer granularity of the flow of the liquid. Its pretty cool actually.

The only downside is shipping. If you aren't ordering much, it's doable, but if you order several pieces, you can expect to pay $80-$100 just to get it to your door. That was what frustrated me.
Apparently (and I noticed this only after paying for a hefty sum of shipping on my order) if you contact them prior to finalizing your payment, they will combine your shipping costs to make them much more affordable. Next time I order something from them I'll definitely be doing that. Currently I am awaiting my order of some 14/20 distillation stuff. When it says "goods awaiting acceptance," does that mean that it's on the way? I wasn't sure as it's the first time I've ordered from Aliexpress.

ELRIC - 26-6-2015 at 15:41

I'm pretty sure "goods awaiting exceptance" means they are
verifying you're payment method. I don't understand why anybody has paid shipping
I'm pretty sure I didn't. I'm gonna go look at the receipt if I can find it
and verify this. I think my item said free shipping under it. Not sure

Loptr - 26-6-2015 at 15:44

I don't remember. And yes, they will adjust your shipping for you. I typically ask for the best shipping they can do and have gotten it down from $100 to $80 before. I have been told if I order a large shipment they can send it by sea, but it will take a long time to arrive. I can wait :D

Templar - 28-6-2015 at 06:07

wow... this glassware looks NICE. Good find!

Mush - 1-4-2016 at 09:49

This shop has been closed down!:( Most of synthware products have gone from aliexpress. :mad:

Texium - 1-4-2016 at 09:53

No way! At first when I saw your post I was hoping it was some twisted April Fool's joke, but you're right. :(

Mush - 1-4-2016 at 10:07

There is hope! I have found their official Chinese website but I can't navigate or change to English on that.
http://www.xinweier.com/

In Hong Kong there is a retailer who stocks synthware glasswares. Bit more expensive than on aliexpress was but still cheaper than from the USA.
https://sites.google.com/a/labware.com.hk/hong-kong-labware-...



[Edited on 1-4-2016 by Mush]

Texium - 1-4-2016 at 10:26

Google will translate it (surprisingly accurately for the most part) into English. Converting the prices from yuan to dollars, it appears it may also be less expensive! (assuming shipping is about the same cost). Also, it says if you make an account with them you get a 40% discount.

Loptr - 1-4-2016 at 11:26

Quote: Originally posted by Mush  
This shop has been closed down!:( Most of synthware products have gone from aliexpress. :mad:


No, they come and go. I have ordered many things from them. I typically just message them when the listings are pulled, and they come right back up.

It's happened several times when I want to order something. They listings might have an expiration or something, or maybe just trying to get you to react. ;)

Loptr - 1-4-2016 at 11:28

Quote: Originally posted by Mush  
There is hope! I have found their official Chinese website but I can't navigate or change to English on that.
http://www.xinweier.com/

In Hong Kong there is a retailer who stocks synthware glasswares. Bit more expensive than on aliexpress was but still cheaper than from the USA.
https://sites.google.com/a/labware.com.hk/hong-kong-labware-...



[Edited on 1-4-2016 by Mush]


Good job! I had searched for them for a while, but came up empty handed. I should have just messaged them.

Nice find. :)

Synthware is my favorite...well, the non-US sellers anyway. It costs and arm, a leg, and your first born if you buy it here....

Mush - 1-4-2016 at 13:38


Quote:

No, they come and go. I have ordered many things from them. I typically just message them when the listings are pulled, and they come right back up. It's happened several times when I want to order something. They listings might have an expiration or something, or maybe just trying to get you to react.


Good to hear that :) .

If someone is interested their catalogue.


Attachment: 2012 Beijing Synthware Glass new products.pdf (953kB)
This file has been downloaded 663 times

Attachment: nmr+2013 catalog Beijing Synthware Glass .pdf (2.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 1028 times

Attachment: 2012 Beijing Synthware Glass product leaflet.pdf (6MB)
This file has been downloaded 688 times

[Edited on 1-4-2016 by Mush]