Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A few element samples for sale

LanthanumK - 5-10-2013 at 05:25

I have a few extra element samples that are available for sale.

Strontium - approx. 3 gram chunk - $5 - oxidized on the surface, but 99% pure metal - in mineral oil, in plastic bottle that I bought it in*

Calcium - approx. 4 grams of granules - $5 - apparently unoxidized - in plastic bottle that I bought it in*

Titanium foil - 3 x 3 inches - $4 - much thicker than average aluminium foil

Magnesium foil - 1 x 2 inches - $2 - a little white on the surface - about twice as thick as aluminium foil

Bead of mercury - 1 gram? - $1 - in glass vial with screw-top lid*

Gold foil - crumpled piece, 1/2 by 1 inch - $1 - in cardboard "sandwich" with clear plastic viewing area

Erbium - about 5 gram chunk - very slowly spalling - $5 - in labeled vial

Yttrium - about 5 gram chunk and small 1/2 gram piece - a little corrosion - $5 - in labelled vial

Niobium disk - approx. 0.25 mm thick - 2 cm diameter - little "bite" taken out of one side - purple anodizing spot on one face - $2

Thoriated tungsten welding rod pieces - $1 - 2 pieces, each about 1 inch long and 1/16'' thick

Tellurium - 1 gram, little chunks of crystal - $1

Selenium - 3 grams? - shot - $5

Gadolinium - 1 gram - little odd sized pieces - $1

Indium - 5 gram chunk - $5

Beryllium - 3/8'' sphere - corroded surface from HCl bath - $5 - potentially dangerous

*Will not mail.

Location is Somerset, NJ, United States. All prices are flexible. No international mail. Please send messages to lakraskci@hotmail.com. Pictures can be provided.

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by LanthanumK]

bismuthate - 5-10-2013 at 05:44

Please provide mass measurements for the foils.
these prices are very well priced forgive me for being sceptical, but please post pictures.

LanthanumK - 5-10-2013 at 05:51

Unfortunately I do not have a scale accurate enough for good mass measurements. I could post pictures on here and videos on my YT channel, though. One must realize that several of these samples are not reagent quality on the surface. Much of the samples were obtained from galliumsource.com.

bismuthate - 5-10-2013 at 06:32

Ok sorry, I'm just a little paranoid because some trolls on this forum rip people off (they get banned though).
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15656&...
Why does the niobium have a bite taken out of it?

LanthanumK - 5-10-2013 at 06:52

I sent Reactive Metals Studio an email asking if they sold niobium in small quantities. They responded that they will be glad to give a sample to me for free. A week later I received a niobium disk in the mail marked "Mispunch". I was surprised by their kindness.

bismuthate - 5-10-2013 at 06:59

Ahhh i couldn't see the "" so i thought someome actualy bit your niobium.

Pictures

LanthanumK - 5-10-2013 at 07:49

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Sz-Al8f9Kzd3VjUkJ2V3c2eFU/...

sorry for the blurry pics, macroshoot accessory was missing today

MrHomeScientist - 5-10-2013 at 08:42

The only ones I am interested in are the ones you won't mail. Aren't there shipping exceptions for small quantities like these?

elementcollector1 - 5-10-2013 at 10:46

I'm up for the selenium and tellurium, as well as some of the rare-earths.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by elementcollector1]

LanthanumK - 5-10-2013 at 11:01

OK, I still won't ship mercury, but I could ship calcium and possibly strontium, although postage will be higher as the bottles are bulky.

@elementcollector1, where are you located? "The Known Universe" is quite broad. :D If you are in the continental U.S., I could send you Se, Te, Gd, Y, and Er for $20, including postage. They will probably be wrapped in kitchen wrap / placed in Ziploc bags and mailed in a bubble mailer. Tracking will be provided. Payment will be a little tricky.

LanthanumK - 11-10-2013 at 07:34

All elements have been sold.

Xfactor - 15-10-2013 at 09:17

I'm going to ask in this thread so I don't have to open a new one:

About mercury? Is shipping it even legal (I live in EU)?
And how much is it worth, I have had the chance to obtain about 300g so obviously I went for it, and I might obtain some more in the future.

Seeing that quite a lot of people were searching for it, I'm trying to figure out a way to sell some, is this possible?

Dr.Bob - 16-10-2013 at 04:45

Mercury cannot be shipped by US Postal service in ANY quantity LEGALLY. They have big signs about that and explosives in every post office. But most hazmat shipments of any size are prohibited by the post office, UPS and FedEx do handle most hazmat, and there are exceptions for small samples, but they have to be packed a certain way and documented well. There are new rules on mercury sale to try to restrict its sale and use by illegal prospectors and other yahoos who pollute huge areas with it. While they are not meant to harm/bother scientists, they will, just like most other onerous rules. But many rules exist concerning the sale and shipment of mercury, which is why it is best not shipped if possible.