Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Is this a method for Cocrystalization

golfpro - 24-10-2013 at 14:13

Say we have 100g of material A and 20g of material B both of these are soluble in Acetone although Material A is very soluble in acetone and material B is soluble above 45*C in acetone. If these are both dissolved in the minimal amount of hot acetone needed, and then quickly poured into ice water, (both of which are insoluble in water) causing instant precipitation, would Material A and B be distributed evenly throughout each crystal (tiny powder specs.)??

Metacelsus - 24-10-2013 at 14:19

What are materials A and B? It sounds like you have a specific situation in mind. It would help to know if they have similar crystal structures.

golfpro - 24-10-2013 at 16:00

100g ETN and 20g RDX. This is the approximate formula for a perfect oxygen balance between the two.

Metacelsus - 24-10-2013 at 17:43

Those chemicals are pretty different in their structure. I would suspect that the process would form an intimately mixed powder, but with separate crystals. If, however, you were to do something like ETN and MHN, it might form a cocrystal. Also, I have heard of HMX and CL-20 being cocrystallized to enhance stability.

I suggest you read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocrystal