Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sorry for asking so many questions here

Cou - 27-10-2013 at 14:44

It's just that I'm only in 9th grade so I haven't been in chemistry class yet, and google doesn't have the answer for everything. I was worried I was coming off as unhelpful and demanding because I ask so many questions without answering.

Random - 27-10-2013 at 15:17

I was the same when I joined I was near 14 year old. I was also asking many questions at first and now I can say almost everything I know about chemistry is actually from this forum. I have read many books too but without this forum I would be nowhere. That's why I will always help someone new to chemistry here, who truly wants to learn.

And I still ask many questions because nobody knows everything.

[Edited on 27-10-2013 by Random]

vulture - 27-10-2013 at 15:56

Noted. But apologies don't absolve you from a responsibility to learn and to observe good forum conduct (posting in the appropriate section for example).

subsecret - 27-10-2013 at 18:17

Cou, I feel the same. I'm currently in the 10th grade, and I haven't had a chemistry class yet. I've had chemistry-like things in the past (labelled "physical science," but those aren't terribly advanced (despite the fact that I go to a good school). I've gained most of my understanding of chemistry from the internet. UC Berkeley and Khan Academy have pretty nice videos for chemistry, and I find them very helpful.

Well said, Vulture. :)

MichiganMadScientist - 13-11-2013 at 13:36

As pointed out already, asking questions is never a bad thing. However, the distinguishing mark of a true scientist is when you have developed an ability to self-educate yourself and think independently. The fact that you have already tried to teach yourself things using the internet and these forums is a step in the right direction.

Chemistry is an extremely complicated subject, and at some point, your ability to advance your understanding will be limited until you receive some formal education. If your school offers a chemistry course (typically, a 10th grade course here in the US), take it. I warn though, you will inevitably find some of it to be boring and uninteresting.

To be honest, I did not really care so much for General Chemistry when I initially took the course. It seems like a bunch of unrelated principles at first, but once I got into higher level chemistry courses, I began to realize how everything in gen chem ties together. You will also need a good 2-semester Algebra foundation. Chemistry is an Algebra-based science for the most part.

The cool thing with formal education and learning is, that the more you learn, the more new concepts you will have to spend time doing your own self-learning and exploring about.

Best of luck to you. :)

Fenir - 18-11-2013 at 16:28

I am in 10th grade and am taking AP chemistry. So far it has been rather entertaining.