Sciencemadness Discussion Board

HMX, FOX-7, TKX-50, e.t.c

underground - 8-11-2013 at 02:00

Does anybody know the list of the explosives that they are more powerful or similar to RDX ?

Like HMX, FOX-7, TKX-50, CL-20 e.t.c. and see with one is possible to manufacture them from an amateur chemist.

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by underground]

Dany - 8-11-2013 at 02:36

Try DPX1 explosive or (E,E)-3,4-bis(oximomethyl)furoxan. all what you need is nitromethane (CH3NO2), NaOH and HCl.
This explosive has been synthesized by Davin G. Piercey and Joerg Stierstorfer in Thomas Klapotke laboratory, Germany.

Below is the copy-past of the abstract of the paper:

"Energetic furoxan (E,E)-3,4-bis(oximomethyl)furoxan (DPX1) was synthesized in 75 % yield, using a literature procedure, from a precursor readily available in one step from nitromethane. DPX1 was characterized for the first time as an energetic material in terms of calculated performance (Vdet = 8245 m s−1; Pcj = 29.0 GPa) and measured sensitivity (impact: 10 J; friction: 192 N; Tdec: 168 °C). DPX1 exhibits a sensitivity less than that of RDX, and a performance significantly higher than 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT)."

however, you must be careful with this material because it slowly decomposes at room temperature.

Dany.

Attachment: (E,E)-3,4-bis(oximomethyl)furoxan (DPX1).pdf (282kB)
This file has been downloaded 1406 times

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by Dany]

underground - 8-11-2013 at 02:59

What about other explosives close to Vdet of  9000 m/s and above

Dany - 8-11-2013 at 03:22

Quote: Originally posted by underground  

Check this paper on the synthesis and properties of N-alkylhydrazinium nitroformate.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/8624/1/IJCT%2...

Dany.

underground - 8-11-2013 at 11:40

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  

Check this paper on the synthesis and properties of N-alkylhydrazinium nitroformate.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/8624/1/IJCT%2...

Dany.

Hydrazine is a really toxic material to play with it...

Praxichys - 8-11-2013 at 13:05

There are many compounds that break the 9km/s mark but this is not the only metric that determines "performance."

Aminonitroguanidine nitrate @ 9750m/s calculated
Ammonium dinitroguanidine @ 9055m/s calculated
4,4’-Dinitro-3,3’-diazenofuroxan at 9800m/s calculated

Salts of bis(2,2-dinitroethyl)nitramine
Hydrazinium salt: 9305m/s calculated
Guanidine salt: 9504m/s calculated
Diaminoguanidine salt: 9314m/s calculated
Triaminoguanidine salt: 10004m/s calculated

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by Praxichys]

malford - 8-11-2013 at 15:14

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
There are many compounds that break the 9km/s mark but this is not the only metric that determines "performance."

On that note, something that I have intending to research is the question, why is speed at which the detonation wave propagates important at all? Should not the speed at which the gasses from detonation expand be more important?

Praxichys - 8-11-2013 at 15:42

The speed at which the gases expand is related to their pressure and temperature, which is related to the speed at which the solid/gas transition and energy release happens (the velocity of detonation).

Also related is density, ΔH, molecular weight of gases produced, and their molar amounts.

underground - 8-11-2013 at 20:14

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

It really looks very interesting

3,3’-Dinitro-4,4’-azoxyfurazan looks really difficult to made

Ammonium Dinitroguanidine looks really interesting, looks easier to manufacture that other HE's (unfortunately the link for ADNG does not work)

3-amino-1-nitroguanidine nitrate (ANGN) looks also possible to make but it requires hydrazine

has anybody made some of them ?

[Edited on 9-11-2013 by underground]

Multi nitro guanidine ?

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 9-11-2013 at 01:41

Here is the paper for 1,2 - dinitroguanidine.

Im not sure but I think that Nitroguanidine Nitrate exist.

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.16372117.html

And so does Dinitroguanidine nitrate ?

Attachment: phpfMx2S8 (129kB)
This file has been downloaded 908 times

underground - 9-11-2013 at 02:27

Ammonium Dinitroguanidine looks closer to manufacture from an amateur chemist

guanidine nitrate --> nitroguanidine --> dinitroguanidine --> ammonium dinitroguanidine

I do not know if dinitroguanidine nitrate exists and what properties have.
Ammonium Dinitroguanidine looks to be stable at all, but how you can make Ammonium Dinitroguanidine from Dinitroguanidine ?

I also wondering if you can make dinitroguanidine with a common nitration of h2so4/nitrate salt of nitroguanidine.

Guanidine salts looks really interesting and that you can play a lot with them

[Edited on 9-11-2013 by underground]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 9-11-2013 at 02:47

I wonder if you used nitronium cation would this happen. Maybe nitration using N2O5 ?

underground - 9-11-2013 at 08:54

It should be amazed if someone with that knowledge was going to inform us

underground - 9-11-2013 at 23:10

After a good read of the PDF were the DubaiAmateurRocketry mentioned above, i saw that dinitroguanidine it is not as easy to make as i though and it needs some obscure chemicals needed like Oleum e.t.c.

"Synthesis of 1,2-dinitroguanidine from nitroguanidine.

To a mixture of 20 ml of 98% HNO3 and 36 ml of 60% oleum at 010C was added dropwise a solution of 14 g of nitroguanidine in 20 ml of 98% nitric acid. Then 15 ml of 60% oleum and 2 ml of98% nitric acid was added, the mixture was kept at this temperature for 1 h, and at the same temperature to the reaction mixture was added 8090 g of ice. The separated precipitate (12 g) was filtered off and washed with trifluoroacetic acid. The filtrate was extracted with ethyl acetate (520 ml). The extract was washed with water, dried with sodium sulfate, the solvent was distilled off, and the residue was washed with hexane. Both portions of the product were combined and recrystallized from acetic acid or acetonitrile. Yield of pure substance of mp 169 was 16 g (80%)."

Also ammonium dinitroguanidine looks unstable and will going to decomposes at room temperature

"Whereas the metal salts of 1,2-dinitroguanidine acquire impurity of dinitrourea salts only at heating, the salts of the nitrogen-containing bases are far less stable and slowly decompose in water solutions already at room temperature. The least stable is the hydrazinium salt: The rate constants of 1,2-dinitroguanidine hydrolysis in water at 25C in the presence of 1.15 mol l1 of NaOH, NH3, Me2 NH, and 0.05 mol l1 of N2H4 are respectively 0.883 104, 1.52 102, 1.25 102, and 4.48 102 1s1."

To sum up, only 3-amino-1-nitroguanidine nitrate is going to left
Lets see about that.

DubaiAmateurRocketry on the PDF you mentioned earlier, it is said:

"unlike the nitroguanidine the 1,2-dinitroguanidine is relatively strong acid." AND
"The basicity of 1,2-dinitroguanidine is considerably lower than that of nitroguanidine (pKBH+  0.93 [8] and 0.98 [9] respectively)"

So i doubt if dinitroguanidine nitrate exists, but if even it exists, it is going to be very unstable, even more ammonium dinitroguanidine

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by underground]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 10-11-2013 at 03:58

I believe the trinitroguanidine can be prepared In the following method.

Nitroguanidine > acetyl bromide > N2O5 > Trinitroguanidine. I sketched the method for now, I will upload after my dinner when Im free.

caterpillar - 10-11-2013 at 04:45

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  
Try DPX1 explosive or (E,E)-3,4-bis(oximomethyl)furoxan. all what you need is nitromethane (CH3NO2), NaOH and HCl.
This explosive has been synthesized by Davin G. Piercey and Joerg Stierstorfer in Thomas Klapotke laboratory, Germany.

Below is the copy-past of the abstract of the paper:

"Energetic furoxan (E,E)-3,4-bis(oximomethyl)furoxan (DPX1) was synthesized in 75 % yield, using a literature procedure, from a precursor readily available in one step from nitromethane. DPX1 was characterized for the first time as an energetic material in terms of calculated performance (Vdet = 8245 m s−1; Pcj = 29.0 GPa) and measured sensitivity (impact: 10 J; friction: 192 N; Tdec: 168 °C). DPX1 exhibits a sensitivity less than that of RDX, and a performance significantly higher than 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT)."

however, you must be careful with this material because it slowly decomposes at room temperature.

Dany.

[Edited on 8-11-2013 by Dany]

Dear Dany, aforementioned paper clearly said, that slowly decomposes the intermediate -nitroacetaldehyde oxime, but not the furoxan. And you forget about oleum, used for this synthesis.

Dany - 10-11-2013 at 04:50

Dear Caterpillar, thanks for the correction :)

Dany.

underground - 10-11-2013 at 05:57

What about keto-RDX, it looks to be 4% more powerful than HMX

The only problem it should be the hydrolysis of hexamine (according to the pdf) as it is going to need polyphosphoric acid and phosphorus pentaoxide

Attachment: Synthesis, characterization and thermal studies of keto-RDX or k-6.pdf (113kB)
This file has been downloaded 1945 times

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 10-11-2013 at 06:21

What about keto-RDX, it looks to be 4% more powerful than HMX

The only problem it should be the hydrolysis of hexamine (according to the pdf) as it is going to need polyphosphoric acid and phosphorus pentaoxide

Thats a great find ! I wonder if you can switch all the CH2 to C=O, although less energetic, might serve an clean powerful dense oxidizer.

caterpillar - 10-11-2013 at 12:34

there is a way to do it without phosphorus acid- only usual mixed acid 50:50% Anders Hoveland gave link to this method, and it can be found at this very forum. Small quote (sorry for unicode)
: To50mLmixtureofnitᦈ 2;icandsulfuricacid ( 98% ), asthesameofmethodA , urea ( 4.5g , 0.075mol )
wasadded.Hexaminedᦇ 3;nitrate ( HDN )( 10g , 0.038mol )
wasaddedtomilkymixᦈ 4;ureattemperature<5T 51;.Addition
ofHDNisamildreactiᦇ 9;n.AfteradditionofHA 316;N , thereac
tionmixturewasalloᦈ 7;edtowarm10℃ andwasstirredfor
1h.Thereactionwasmᦇ 9;nitoredbyTLCmethodA 294;Finally ,
thereactionmixtureᦈ 7;aspouredincrushediA 347;e ( 400g ) to
workuptheproduct.ᦅ 2;hewhiteprecipitateA 367;asfiltered ,
washedanddriedtogiᦈ 6;e8gcrudeproductthaA 364;contain
RDX ( 55% ) andKetoRDX ( 45% ) .

underground - 10-11-2013 at 21:10

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
there is a way to do it without phosphorus acid- only usual mixed acid 50:50

Can you give to me more details about that please ? please ?

caterpillar - 11-11-2013 at 01:11

Did you have problems reading the text, which I upload? I extracted it from pdf, this is why it is not very good for reading. Well, I see that I had to translate it to plain English. 50 ml of mixed acid (HNO3+H2SO4, 50:50%). 4.5 gr of urea was slowly added into this mix with stirring and cooling. After addition mix was kept at 0 Celsius for 30 minutes. Then hexamine dinitrate (10 gr) was added. Temperature was kept at 5 Celsius. Then reaction mixture was allowed to warm up to 10 C and was stirred for one hour. Finally reaction mix was poured into 400 gr of crushed ice. The white precipitate was filtered, washed and dried. That's all. I have a solid guess, that replacement of urea with nitrourea is a good idea. And most likely mixed acid could be replaced by mix of sulfur acid and some nitrate.

underground - 11-11-2013 at 03:28

Did you have problems reading the text, which I upload? I extracted it from pdf, this is why it is not very good for reading. Well, I see that I had to translate it to plain English. 50 ml of mixed acid (HNO3+H2SO4, 50:50%). 4.5 gr of urea was slowly added into this mix with stirring and cooling. After addition mix was kept at 0 Celsius for 30 minutes. Then hexamine dinitrate (10 gr) was added. Temperature was kept at 5 Celsius. Then reaction mixture was allowed to warm up to 10 C and was stirred for one hour. Finally reaction mix was poured into 400 gr of crushed ice. The white precipitate was filtered, washed and dried. That's all. I have a solid guess, that replacement of urea with nitrourea is a good idea. And most likely mixed acid could be replaced by mix of sulfur acid and some nitrate.

What if use just hexamine in case of hexamine dinitrate, as long as hexamine dinitrate it is really really badly toxic!!

caterpillar - 11-11-2013 at 03:50

What if use just hexamine in case of hexamine dinitrate, as long as hexamine dinitrate it is really really badly toxic!!

Who says that??? BS. Do not eat it and sleep well. As a matter of fact, you can use hexamine instead of its dinitrate. But in such case addition of hexamine is exothermic process and you must cool reaction vessel. This is why I think, that dinitrate is the best choice. But, if you want to use hexamine, go ahead. It is named "method A". 65 ml of mixed acid (HNO3+H2SO4, 50:50%). 10 gr of urea was slowly added into this mix with stirring and cooling. After addition mix was kept at 0 Celsius for 30 minutes. Then hexamine (10 gr) was added in small portions. Temperature was kept below zero- 0- 5 Celsius (this reaction is exothermic!). Then reaction mixture was allowed to warm up to 10 C and was stirred for 35 minutes. Finally reaction mix was poured into 400 gr of crushed ice. The white precipitate was filtered, washed and dried. I suspect, that mixed acid must be really concentrated. According to original pdf, two nitro groups must be implemented into urea. This is the problem- preparation of dinitrourea probably requires oleum. This is why I think, that nitrourea would be better choice.

underground - 11-11-2013 at 05:06

What if you are going to do 2 reaction vessels, with one with you are going to do nitrourea, and to the other one you are going to do HDN, then mix them together for keto- RDX

By the way, i also believe that adding nitrourea in case of urea surely you are going to have more possibilities to form dinitrourea

caterpillar - 11-11-2013 at 10:25

I told you- in aforementioned pdf boys said, that reaction goes between dinitrourea and hexamine (more precisely, with products of its nitrolysis). It means, that mixed acid must be strong enough. I do not think, that two vessels are good idea- most likely, without dinitrourea hexamine will be completely destroyed. You may read elsewhere, that sulfur acid destroys nitramines like RDX and this compound requires pure nitric acid and cannot be obtained, using usual mixed acid. Two vessel method, as described here: Synthesis, characterization and thermal studies of keto-RDX or k-6.pdf uses poly phosphorus acids just because they wanted to preserve fragments of hexamine.

underground - 11-11-2013 at 11:34

When you are going to use a mixed acid, there is also there some H2SO4, so what about that, it does not destroy the K-6 ?

caterpillar - 12-11-2013 at 03:48

When you are going to use a mixed acid, there is also there some H2SO4, so what about that, it does not destroy the K-6 ?

It appears, that doesn't. Try it. I can repeat- concentration is crucial. People made this process under permanent control and they found, that at some time quantity of RDX and K-6 reaches its maximum. Then it goes down. Therefore, regime must be precisely reproduced.

underground - 12-11-2013 at 05:27

Caterpillar have you ever made K-6 ? or are you going to do ?

caterpillar - 12-11-2013 at 10:56

Negative. It would be interesting, but all my equipment with chemicals are leaved in my past live. I made RDX twice more or less successfully, but not K-6. I knew so few, when I was young. Now when I'm reading description of such procedures, I want to realize some of them, but now even sulfur acid is problem for me.

Dany - 12-11-2013 at 12:03

but now even sulfur acid is problem for me.

Dear caterpillar,

*Sulfuric acid

Dany.

caterpillar - 12-11-2013 at 20:30

Dear Dany, thanks for the correction. (I can take it only as a small revenge for my own). English is not my mother's tongue, and when I'm typing and typing quickly, I make some rather stupid mistakes. (off topic- few years ago we received electrolyte for ours accumulators. Concentrated solution of KOH + some LiOH. One bottle was especially heavy. After dilution an accumulator was flooded with this "electrolyte" and immediately foam went out of it. That heavy bottle contented sulfuric acid. I should have taken couple of litres...)

Dany - 12-11-2013 at 20:36

Dear Dany, thanks for the correction. (I can take it only as a small revenge for my own)

:)

Dany.

underground - 13-11-2013 at 02:23

I was thinking to make some aminonitroguanidine nitrate

guanidine nitrate from AN/U with Silica gel as a catalist -->

nitroduanidine with conc. H2SO4. -->

aminonitroguanidine with hydrazine sulfate -->

( It shoul be easy to make some hydrazine sulfate if you should have some MEK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7vwIFCnR0 )

aminonitroguanidine nitrate

ANG +HNO3 --> ANGN with dilute nitric acid. If it is concentrated to any extent it could oxidize the hydrazine. ANG is a much better base than nitroguanidine, so ANGN would be much more "stable"

So what do you think guys ?

[Edited on 13-11-2013 by underground]

caterpillar - 13-11-2013 at 14:49

It is a long way to Tipperary... When (and if) you have made nitroguanidine, we'll discuss the next. And if I'm correct, conversion of nitroguanidine to aminonitroguanidine requires hydrazine hydrate (or even pure hydrazine). And preparation of any salt of hydrazine is a little bit tricky.

underground - 13-11-2013 at 23:08

I do not know about if it requires pure hydrazine, but i want to believe that hydrazine sulfate will work. Better with some experience about that subject will answer to us. You can easily made some hydrate from hydrazine sulfate but i do not want to work with that think.

In case that hydrazine sulfate does not work, you can made some aminoguanidine nitrate, but i do not know the performance of that stuff, i believe it should have something close to 9000m/s

caterpillar - 14-11-2013 at 01:33

Believers go to a church. A scientist must know. From one russian forum: hot water solution of hydrazine reacts with nitroguanidine, producing nitroaminoguanidine. I have a solid guess, due to the nature of your questions, that your own experience in HE is very low. In such case, start with something simple.

underground - 14-11-2013 at 02:24

Quote: Originally posted by

Believers go to a church. A scientist must know. From one russian forum: hot water solution of hydrazine reacts with nitroguanidine, producing nitroaminoguanidine. I have a solid guess, due to the nature of your questions, that your own experience in HE is very low. In such case, start with something simple.

Like what ? I have already prepare some ETN, few things are more powerful than ETN, also i do not have a plenty of chemicals... and we can not judge nothing until we will try it, maybe will work, maybe not. Also guanidine nitrate and nitroguanidine are enough more simple, i will start from them anyway !!
But steel aminoguanidine nitrate can be made.
I was wondering if nitroaminoguanidine can be made from aminoguanidine to eliminate the uses of hydrazine.

caterpillar i am waiting you... :D

[Edited on 14-11-2013 by underground]

caterpillar - 14-11-2013 at 14:14

Go ahead. Reduction of nitroguanidine yields aminoguanidine, yeah. Read carefully the first tread at this very forum: 5-ATZ(5 aminotetrazole...) I do know nothing about nitration of aminoguanidine. Read literature or try it yourself. But the very first stage- preparation of guanidine nitrate- has some, let's say, underwater stones. Hot mixture of urea with AN may explode. You need some thermostat or you'll have to stay near, breathe with ammonia and switch power on and off. Stirring is usefull too. Silicagel should be transparent, it works better then opaque. Smash it to small pieces. That's all what I know.

underground - 14-11-2013 at 21:38

So it should be better to make the silica gel fine powder correct ?

Also here is a description about AGN

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12938

"The nitrate, NH2C(=NH)NHNH2*HNO3, crystallizes from water in large plates, from alcohol in needles, and melts at 144°C; it is only sparingly soluble (12 parts in 100) in water at 16°C. "

edit:

caterpillar, here is a description on how to make nitroaminoguanidine with hydrazine sulfate

"200ml water was heated to 60�C and 11g NQ were added while stirring. 15.3g hydrazine sulfate, 100ml water and 6.90g NaOH were mixed and stirred until everything had gone into solution. This solution was slowly poured into the agitated and heated NQ-solution/suspension. Heating (60�C) and stirring was continued during half an hour. After 15 minutes all the NQ had dissolved. The liquid turned orange and during the experiment I smelled ammonia:
HN=C(NH2)(NHNO2) + H2N-NH2 ---> HN=C(NHNO2)(NHNH2) + NH3

So after these thirty minutes, the solution was neutralised with concentrated hydrochloric acid (approx. 6ml HCl 29% was used). The liquid was allowed to cool to 5�C (fridge) and was left so for one hour for full precipitation of the NAQ (the colour... how should I say: slightly pale yellow - "blanc cass�" - light off-white colour?), . It was then filtered and washed with two portions of 15ml cold distilled water. Dried at 80�C. Yield: 7.25g or 57.6% yield. "

[Edited on 15-11-2013 by underground]

caterpillar - 15-11-2013 at 05:29

Yeah, but what happens with hydrazine sulfate in presence of NaOH? It turns out to hydrazine, of course. Problem is, where to get any salt of hydrazine. Its preparation is not very simple, as I know. NaOCl + urea, something like this. You have no need to make powder from silicagel- small pieces 1-2 mm in size would be enough. Reaction of sulphamic acid (or its ammonium salt) with urea with further nitration of guanidine sulfate surely is safer, then melting AN with urea. I can only repeat: when (and if) you have made nitroguanidine, you'll think about the next stages.

underground - 15-11-2013 at 06:15

Problem is, where to get any salt of hydrazine. Its preparation is not very simple, as I know. NaOCl + urea, something like this.

Very easy if you are going to have some MEK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7vwIFCnR0

:D:D

Also take a look on this

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=18487

[Edited on 15-11-2013 by underground]

caterpillar - 15-11-2013 at 13:40

Then what the problem is? Go ahead.

underground - 16-11-2013 at 00:17

I just want to know those products, like aminonitroguanidine - ANGN how toxic and harmful are going to be, and it is a little bit difficult to find any informations about those EM. But surely i would try.

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by underground]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 16-11-2013 at 05:31

There seems to have no extreme toxic groups in ANGN, however most explosives are harmful to you so you should really just synthesize, burn or detonate them in small scale.

This article might be providing some interesting energetic oxidzier and explosives with its derivatives.

Abstract
1-Amino-3-nitroguanidine (ANQ, 2) was synthesized via hydrazinolysis of nitroguanidine (1). An appropriate Lewis structure of ANQ is drawn based on VB calculations. Due to its basicity, it can be protonated by strong mineral acids or acidic heterocycles. In order to synthesize new energetic materials the nitrate (3) and perchlorate (4) salts of 1-amino-3-nitroguanidine were synthesized by protonation of 2 with 40% nitric acid and 60% perchloric acid, respectively. 5-Nitrimino-1,4H-tetrazole obtained by reacting 5-amino-1H-tetrazole with 100% HNO3 was used to synthesize the nitriminotetrazolate salt 5. Furthermore, the dinitramide salt 6 of 1-amino-3-nitroguanidine was synthesized by metathesis reaction of silver dinitramide and 1-amino-3-nitroguanidinium chloride. The dinitroguanidinate salt 7 was synthesized by protonation of 2 with 1,3-dinitroguanidine, which was prepared from nitroguanidine in anhydrous nitric acid/N2O5. All compounds were fully characterized by single-crystal X-ray diffraction, vibrational spectroscopy (IR and Raman), multinuclear NMR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, elemental analysis, and DSC measurements. The heats of formation of 2–7 were calculated using the atomization method based on CBS-4M enthalpies. With these values and the experimental (X-ray) densities several detonation parameters such as the detonation pressure, velocity, energy, and temperature were computed using the EXPLO5 code. In addition, the sensitivities towards impact, friction and electrical discharge were tested using the BAM drophammer, friction tester as well as a small-scale electrical discharge device. A Koenen test with 1-amino-3-nitroguanidinium nitrate (3) was carried out in order to evaluate its explosive performance and shipping classification.

http://www.znaturforsch.com/ab/v67b/0066.htm

I can not get the paper.. I wish i could read about it.

The dinitramide and nitrate salt sounds very interesting !

This one also ... what is the compound ? http://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/274771

[Edited on 16-11-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

exoto - 16-11-2013 at 12:34

I did synthesized FOX-7 in my lab as a high school student. I would say that it's not that kind of explosive that owns a lot of power. I detonated about 1.5g sample of FOX-7 with 0.5g LA as primary explosive in a paper tube, the link of the video is here:
http://v.ku6.com/show/1TqbsOv_fG0u8OVA.html
It is just normal. A little bit weaker than RDX but very stable and insensitive.

underground - 16-11-2013 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by exoto  
I did synthesized FOX-7 in my lab as a high school student. I would say that it's not that kind of explosive that owns a lot of power. I detonated about 1.5g sample of FOX-7 with 0.5g LA as primary explosive in a paper tube, the link of the video is here:
It is just normal. A little bit weaker than RDX but very stable and insensitive.

Try to make some ANGN ;)

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 16-11-2013 at 22:53

您好, 居然能在这里能碰到中国人, 有QQ吗?

And for you @underground, this paper is really one of the easiest way to synthesize furoxan compounds. 1 step reaction using an cinnamyl alcohol, sodium nitrite, AcOH, and water.

Link :

http://www.beilstein-journals.org/bjoc/content/pdf/1860-5397...

[Edited on 17-11-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

The_Davster - 16-11-2013 at 23:00

Eh, a lot of the low sensitivity explosives have a higher critical diameter than something more sensitive. I really doubt you can see FOX7's full performance at 1.5g. For example, RDX and PETN, same masses at the same density, lets say around 400mgs, despite RDX having a higher det velocity, guess which will make a greater dent? PETN.

exoto - 19-11-2013 at 00:17

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  

Eh, a lot of the low sensitivity explosives have a higher critical diameter than something more sensitive. I really doubt you can see FOX7's full performance at 1.5g. For example, RDX and PETN, same masses at the same density, lets say around 400mgs, despite RDX having a higher det velocity, guess which will make a greater dent? PETN.

Yes. I plan to synthesis more of FOX-7, say, 100g in the future. And I may use 20g~30g sample to do the detonation experiment and compare it with same amount of RDX and other explosives.
I work on several other synthesis as well such as LLM-105 and DNPP. LLM-105 was successfully synthesized but in small scale. DNPP is still in process. I m kind of interested in their performance in real world.
also, 5-aminotetrazole nitrate is one of the explosive we have scaled up. Its performance is a shock to me. 44g of it feel like a grenade.
Here is the link:
http://www.woopie.jp/video/watch/89a2aba27837602c?return=aut...
Many of us are interested in 5-ATNO3. It is surprisingly insensitive but meanwhile powerful

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 19-11-2013 at 01:21

also, 5-aminotetrazole nitrate is one of the explosive we have scaled up. Its performance is a shock to me. 44g of it feel like a grenade.
Here is the link:
http://www.woopie.jp/video/watch/89a2aba27837602c?return=aut...
Many of us are interested in 5-ATNO3. It is surprisingly
insensitive but meanwhile powerful

Yes it is on one of my to-do list.

5-Aminotetrazolium Nitrate Have an impact sensitivity of around 8j, being a bit less sensitive than RDX, while having higher vod

Attachment: Improved Synthesis and X-Ray Structure of 5-Aminotetrazolium Nitrate (5ATNO3).pdf (193kB)
This file has been downloaded 691 times

Attachment: Thermal decomposition and molecular structure of 5-aminotetrazolium nitrate.pdf (160kB)
This file has been downloaded 1565 times