Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bulk quantity purchase of energetic precursor?

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 5-12-2013 at 20:46

If I purchase around 10kg of 5-Amino-1,2,3,4-Tetrazole(5ATZ), the price would be extremely cheap, much cheaper than sigma aldrich.

I then can sell it for members in the forum for 49 dollars per 500 grams(1.1 pounds). Whereas same amount of 5ATZ for
Sigma Alrich's Price is over 410$ and with only 97% purity and monohydrate. I can get 99% Anhydrous.

What are your thoughts ?This product is labeled as a pharmatical product, intermediate, and precursor. However also release toxic fumes on heat, dangerous, flammable, so Im not sure about the shipping prices.

If a handful of people here want 5ATZ, then Ill buy in bulk quantity and ship it to whoever wants& needs 5ATZ.

5ATZ one of most important precursors to make countless types of nitrogenous energetic materials with high detonation velocity and pressure.

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

bfesser - 18-12-2013 at 20:46

[Moved per OP request.]

DraconicAcid - 18-12-2013 at 21:09

That's an interesting material...I wonder if it forms analogues of cyclopentadienyl (Cp) complexes.

But I don't think I'd ever get around to the chemistry, even if you could ship it to me.

woelen - 19-12-2013 at 02:23

This is a very interesting product, with so many N-atoms in its molecule, but I have strong doubts on shipping this. Shipping it as "pharmaceutical, intermediate, precursor" does not sound very wise. I think that in nearly all countries an association will be made with drugs. I think it is better to have it labeled as general lab reagent, together with its correct UN-number as required by all transport agencies, and to be honest about dangers such as flammability. Shipping flammable solids is not that difficult, as long as the material is not self-igniting, very poisonous, corrosive or reactive with air or water.

Maybe there is some small volume exemption for shipping this material and an E-sticker may be used for this material. Some materials can be shipped in amounts up to 500 grams, others only up to 25 grams in a single unit. Larger amounts may be split in smaller separated units, but packed together in a single multi-compartment parcel, up to a total of at most 500 grams. You have to look at the IATA guidelines.

I certainly am interested in this, but shipping must be done in a honest way, with correct labeling of the package content. Well... nearly honest , the value of the product must be labeled lower (at most $25 or so), otherwise we need to pay large import taxes. I once had thallium nitrate shipped this way, 50 grams of this compound, divided over two units in two separate compartments of a single parcel with an E-sticker and the cost of this shipping was only appr. $20 from the USA to NL. It was totally legal, according to IATA regulations.

I would not really be interested in the energetic properties of such a compound, but having a molecule with so many N-atoms in it certainly must open up ways for making weird compounds and interesting complexes. It is that kind of weird chemistry which I find most interesting.

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 20-12-2013 at 09:22

Well, woelen, 5-amino-tetrazole is very safe, it wont burn/deflagrate/ or explode on its own, unless subjected to high heat, it will only decompose. The compound is generally safe and shipable.