Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Where is not_important?

Random - 28-6-2013 at 20:01

I reminded myself of this guy today and he has been quite a regular poster here and just dissapeared, checked his posts, last post in sept 2011.

Is he even alive!?

franklyn - 29-6-2013 at 02:35

I seconf that. His contributions have always been highly informative and knowledgeable.

Sauron is also missed here ,

As well as Axt

Finnnicus - 29-6-2013 at 05:47

Can someone please fill me in on the Sauron situation?
I read his thread about leaving, but it was rather unclear.

franklyn - 29-6-2013 at 14:26

@ Finnnicus

Sauron expressed his misgivings here _
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12469
last entry there 13-7-2009

He did linger longer _
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/search.php?token=&srchtxt=&a...
unitl 2-4-2010

sonogashira - 2-7-2013 at 05:25

Quote: Originally posted by Finnnicus  
Can someone please fill me in on the Sauron situation?
I read his thread about leaving, but it was rather unclear.
Ousted by tyrants! :D

franklyn - 3-7-2013 at 17:58

Speaking of which what happened to " The WiZard is In "

I did not care for his method of posting everything rather than just uploading
it as an attachment , but otherwise the information he provided was rare and
historic.

Bot0nist - 3-7-2013 at 19:05

I greatly miss The Wizard is In's posts as well. And qs, of course. At least their posts are semi-immortalized here, I suppose.

Quicksilver??

gnitseretni - 15-12-2013 at 19:37

Has anyone heard from Quicksilver yet? I can't help but think that something must have happened to him. :(

Bot0nist - 16-12-2013 at 07:04

Polverone posted a thread asking about him. His is very missed in the EM section.

IrC - 18-12-2013 at 01:06

Not on topic to person but good place to ask, what happened to Peach, has not been here in 14 months and not posted in around 17 months.

Panache - 18-12-2013 at 03:11

The wizard is likely dead, as for what happened to not_important, well its likely not important, my guess is an effective dose of SSRI's.

Random - 18-12-2013 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
my guess is an effective dose of SSRI's.

Can you elaborate??

DJF90 - 30-12-2013 at 17:50

Sauron I believe may have kicked the bucket... I was in contact with him for a fair while after he left here but that communication ceased a good while ago. I tried searching for an obituary but to no avail.

As for Peach, he's doing good. I'm in fairly regular contact with him. He's unable to experiment independently at the moment due to a change in personal circumstances.

Fantasma4500 - 31-12-2013 at 05:06

not to mention chemcamtv, i recall this was his name on SM aswell..?
he told me around.. 3-4 months ago he was gonna go to work somewhere for 2 months and be back in october i recall it as..
and he just didnt come back?

im abit afraid he might have boasted about his creations as in HE creations and some people might have gotten some serious chemphobia sensation, work accident perhaps too, but thats less likely to be completely fatal, right?

For the record...

bfesser - 8-3-2014 at 17:19

I've resigned from moderation. It's unlikely that I'll visit much if at all. I haven't died in an accident—yet. I wish you all well, and urge you to stay safe & cite sources! Goodbye.

P.S. franklyn, stay crazy.

good_riddance_pluto.png - 22kB

DrAldehyde - 8-3-2014 at 23:16

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
I've resigned from moderation. It's unlikely that I'll visit much if at all. I haven't died in an accident—yet. I wish you all well, and urge you to stay safe & cite sources! Goodbye.

P.S. franklyn, stay crazy.

Wow, I'm quite new here, but yours is a name I know already. Who is going to keep SM from falling into an out of control jumble of cross posts, kitchen remodel ads, and a breeding ground for kewls and cooks. It is a somewhat dirty job, but you did it well. Well I sincerely wish you luck.

hissingnoise - 9-3-2014 at 05:19

I second that ─ the moderator's task is surely difficult enough without having to endure constant sniping from a gaggle of professional malcontents . . .
I didn't agree with everything you did bfesser, but you are/were doing a tough job and doing it well!

TheChemiKid - 9-3-2014 at 05:25

I hope this is considered a worthwhile post, because I am the third saying it.
I third that – your task was difficult, but you generally made good decisions and if someone had a problem with what you were doing, you tried to fix it. Good Luck!

Zyklon-A - 9-3-2014 at 06:00

This is truly a big change. Although he sometimes can be upsetting, I've always know that the forum was much better off with him, then it will be without him....:( I'm sad to see him go.

cyanureeves - 9-3-2014 at 06:44

i thought bfesser pretty much explained all that he did quite well and even reconsidered some some of his choices that caused unending controversy. i hope his voiced opponents do not think that all their combated opinions now have merit because of his absence because by FAR bfesser was more right than wrong.

bismuthate - 9-3-2014 at 08:19

I think that he did a good job and would listen to complaints it's a shame he's leaving.
Also we should use this thrad to tell the forum when somebody leaves.

TheChemiKid - 9-3-2014 at 08:28

I agree. Also this thread should be used if someone hears of someone dying or getting injured and having to stop doing chemistry.

froot - 9-3-2014 at 11:30

Sorry to see you go bfessor, the amount of time you spent sifting and tidying has not gone unnoticed and is appreciated by at least a few of us. Thank you.

forgottenpassword - 9-3-2014 at 12:11

I think he made a complete mess of the forum, personally. Every other moderator manages to do so discretely, yet his presence and indecision is thrust in everyone's face in innumerable threads, eg. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29059&...

Mailinmypocket - 9-3-2014 at 12:28

He did do a very good job at trying to keep the spoon feeding requests to a minimum (not just only for things like drugs and energetics) and tin-foil hat type conspiracy threads too. Basically making it look less like forums such as "chemicalforums" which is a junkyard of half answered questions and decaying threads.

Also... Things like the topical compendium and whatnot are not what I consider making a mess of the forum, personally. That takes a lot of unpaid time to do. He did have a more strict/direct way of moderating but anyone was free to discuss things with him via PM...

It will be interesting to see if there is much of a change in how many useless posts remain around, cluttering up the place.

HeYBrO - 9-3-2014 at 13:23

The weirdest part of humans: We don't know what we have till it's gone. Bfesser's actions were never unjustified, he also would complement people on their hard efforts. Does anyone know why he is going? seems kind abrupt and unnecessary because no one really hated him just a "vocal minority".

DrAldehyde - 9-3-2014 at 14:33

Bfessor, I believe your contributions to the site are far too valuable to let you leave without a damn good excuse. So unless your health is in jeopardy, I refuse to accept your resignation.

BromicAcid - 9-3-2014 at 14:50

For it so falls out
That what we have we prize not to the worth,
Whiles we enjoy it, but being lack’d and lost,
Why, then we rack the value; then we find
The virtue, that possession would not show us
Whiles it was ours.

People seldom appreciate the effort that goes into a difficult job. Enjoy your retirement Bfesser.

jock88 - 9-3-2014 at 15:30

A bad day.
He pissed off only those who were inclined to fall into kewl moods and throw preteen tantrums when there silly useless contributions were booted to detritus (like kicking turds off of a sidewalk).

Good Luck Bfessor.

turd - 10-3-2014 at 01:40

I also think that all in all the forums profited from what some considered as "excessive" moderation. And although it's minority opinion, actually I would have no problem if more vacuous drivel and crack-pottery was detritused.

Anyway, I understand the resignation - what a thankless job.

Gearhead_Shem_Tov - 10-3-2014 at 02:56

I'll add my voice to those supporting the positive changes bfesser helped bring about and also the regret I feel should he completely leave the community.

Too many years I had to wade through bloated threads hijacked by blowhards rocking their various hobby horses. I didn't come to Science Madness to be told by the likes of these wankers what to think about politics/religion/philosophy; I came to find out what happens when reagent A is reacted with reagent B in apparatus C under conditions D, E, and F. I also came to read a bit of good-natured humour about the pleasures, peaks, and pitfalls of the amateur science experience.

-Bobby

Etaoin Shrdlu - 16-3-2014 at 07:30

I barely post, but I've lurked this forum for probably close to two years, and this is a sad announcement. Hope your future endeavors go well, bfesser.

macckone - 16-3-2014 at 08:21

I have not been here long but I have been impressed by many of your post. Bfesser, you will be missed.

elementcollector1 - 16-3-2014 at 08:34

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

Also... Things like the topical compendium and whatnot are not what I consider making a mess of the forum, personally.

Speaking of which, shouldn't someone take over that and keep it going?

forgottenpassword - 16-3-2014 at 15:02

It has been deleted.

Gooferking Science - 16-3-2014 at 15:30

I am sad to see you go bfesser :( Good luck! Don't die.

Brain&Force - 18-3-2014 at 16:33

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

Also... Things like the topical compendium and whatnot are not what I consider making a mess of the forum, personally.

Speaking of which, shouldn't someone take over that and keep it going?

If someone's willing to split the work with me, I'd be willing to help restart it. I'm really busy right now, but once the school year is over, I'll have a lot more free time on my hands.

bfesser was probably our top forum contributor behind woelen and the almighty Polverone. I'm relatively new here, but it's obvious that he made a serious difference in the forum.

As stated earlier, I would be willing to fill the gap, but I'm short on time and couldn't do the job as well as bfesser did. And I think I'm a little short on posts for the admins to consider me.

I hope he sees these messages and reconsiders his decision.

Zyklon-A - 18-3-2014 at 16:59

I'm new too, and not as smart as bfesser, but I have plenty of time, and would love to contribute to the forum.

BromicAcid - 18-3-2014 at 17:39

Personally I miss axehandle. I have yet to see another member put up a live streaming feed to experiments in progress, let alone a megalithic sulfur burner while taking questions on chat.

The_Davster - 18-3-2014 at 18:01

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Personally I miss axehandle. I have yet to see another member put up a live streaming feed to experiments in progress, let alone a megalithic sulfur burner while taking questions on chat.

Agreed.

There was also the "oops I stepped in a puddle of molten aluminum" and was it him who posted photos of his nuts after a phosgene burn?

He was priceless.

GoldGuy - 19-3-2014 at 17:52

bfesser is very smart and Im sure he has good reasons for leaving. He did a ton of work which we are endebted to him for. He kept this forum up to a certain standard.

A valuable, good-willed human. An asset to this forum. I too refuse your resignation

MrHomeScientist - 20-3-2014 at 10:35

While I disliked his heavy-handed moderation style, bfesser was apparently the only thing keeping the spammers at bay. I've seen more spam posts in the last two days than in the last several months.

Texium - 20-3-2014 at 16:11

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
I think that he did a good job and would listen to complaints it's a shame he's leaving.
Also we should use this thrad to tell the forum when somebody leaves.

I think we should have a thread for when people leave, but perhaps not this one, as the subject is "Where is not_important?," which doesn't really make sense as a general resignation thread.
Also, while I haven't been posting for long, I've read this forum for almost a year and will also definitely miss bfesser.

elementcollector1 - 20-3-2014 at 18:54

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  

If someone's willing to split the work with me, I'd be willing to help restart it. I'm really busy right now, but once the school year is over, I'll have a lot more free time on my hands.

bfesser was probably our top forum contributor behind woelen and the almighty Polverone. I'm relatively new here, but it's obvious that he made a serious difference in the forum.

As stated earlier, I would be willing to fill the gap, but I'm short on time and couldn't do the job as well as bfesser did. And I think I'm a little short on posts for the admins to consider me.

I hope he sees these messages and reconsiders his decision.

I can focus on elements and stuff - I really need to update my own little Topical Compendium anyway. I don't remember much of what was in bfesser's compendium, but I'll see if I can persuade him to send it to me if he has it - he's still lurking on IRC.

Ironically, bfesser would have probably split most of the latest replies of this thread long ago.

I agree with above

GoldGuy - 20-3-2014 at 22:33

And after this comment he would have sent it to Detrius!

Brain&Force - 16-5-2014 at 19:24

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  

I'll try to do this for you if I can. Livestream, not a megalithic sulfur burner (though that sounds AWESOME).

I wish NurdRage, peach, and I am a fish were around. But what happened to chemoleo? He hasn't posted since 2011 (though he logged on this January).

And yes, this thread needs to be renamed "Goodbye" or something like that.

Mailinmypocket - 16-5-2014 at 19:36

In addition, It just occurred to me... Where is endimion17? I guess this is the nature of a forum. People come and go for various reasons. Too bad though.

The Volatile Chemist - 16-5-2014 at 19:46

A toast to Bfesser and all the people who help make this a profitable place to spend an evening.

Rogeryermaw - 16-5-2014 at 20:23

anyone here still in contact with peach? if so, tell him roger says hi. miss that guy...

Mailinmypocket - 16-5-2014 at 20:30

There is a thread somewhere in which I asked about peach. I think it was DFJ who mentioned he is in contact with peach and peach had put chemistry on hold for the time being due to life circumstances. I searched and wasn't able to find the thread where I asked about him but it's something along those lines. I do miss peaches' posts with all the photos and humor and whatnot

Rogeryermaw - 16-5-2014 at 20:42

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27951#...

earlier in this thread...but dfj hasn't been on in a bit either.

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 12:32

Whoa, where did Little_Ghost go? I just tried looking for his posts and he seems to have disappeared! Before that, his name became unclickable.

I recall the same think happened to Amos Backstrom (who recreated his account as Zyklonb, later Zyklon-A).

deltaH - 16-9-2014 at 12:45

Yeah and a thread he just started in beginnings disappeared too, I believe he posted about wanting to make CaO from seashells. I assumed he deleted it before anybody replied, but then read this and became suspicious.

[Edited on 16-9-2014 by deltaH]

hissingnoise - 28-9-2014 at 08:56

I see our watson fawkes hasn't posted here since late last year ─ I hope he's OK?

Brain&Force - 28-9-2014 at 09:30

Yeah. Haven't seen much of Bot0nist lately, either.

Polverone - 28-9-2014 at 10:46

I know that watson.fawkes is fine, he just felt that this site was taking too much time from things he wanted to accomplish. In the interest of self-discipline he stopped visiting.

violet sin - 28-9-2014 at 11:31

I know Bo0tnist had a kid same day as me( almost 9mo back), so... and I had to taper WAY(!) back on the chem. mainly just reading these days, other than a few late night projects. really hard to fit in the time, and especially you mess with toxic substances. wash up a million times, then take a LONG shower, then wash again out of paranoia. this after wearing 2 x gloves, jumpsuit, apron and all. with my fave being metal plating experiments and electrochem... you have a right to be paranoid about getting anything on your kid at all. door knobs are a good reason to use 2 x gloves. contaminate one, and the whole house gets it :P

any how you can see how it becomes a little difficult between safety/free time/cash. just my 2¢
-Violet Sin-

Lambda-Eyde - 28-9-2014 at 13:43

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
I know that watson.fawkes is fine, he just felt that this site was taking too much time from things he wanted to accomplish. In the interest of self-discipline he stopped visiting.

Very sad to hear that, though I'm glad to hear all is well. I can't remember reading a post from watson.fawkes that wasn't informative, interesting or well-written (or a combination thereof). I hope his absence won't be permanent.

hissingnoise - 29-9-2014 at 01:33

Quote:
I can't remember reading a post from watson.fawkes that wasn't informative, interesting or well-written (or a combination thereof).

My thoughts exactly, L-E ─ thanks Polverone . . .

I wonder what it is he's doing that's so fucking important . . . leading the campaign against ISIS, perhaps . . . ?

IrC - 21-6-2015 at 00:39

Since this thread sort of morphed into the 'where is' discussion, my question is where is vulture. It appears he has not even visited in around a year and a half. I really miss his input here.

ELRIC - 26-6-2015 at 15:25

Has anyone heard anything out of Arkoma?