Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Please help with oxydation mecanism

cuti_pie75 - 20-11-2004 at 13:31

Hi,

It's been quite some time now i've spent on figuring out the mecanism of the oxydation of toluene with KMnO4 to give benzoic acid. My problem is i dunno how exactly the MnO4 attacks the hydrogen on the aliphatic chain. So, if anyone can help me figure out the first steps of which O on MnO4 will attack, that'll be great! (fingers crossed) :(

Ref: Oxydation Mechanism

solo - 20-11-2004 at 16:19

You might trying to read this thread........

" Benzene synthesis" , find it on the search function, it also has some patents and other methods......solo

Edited: I read benzene ....but clearly its benzoic acid....my error.....solo:(

[Edited on 21-11-2004 by solo]

frogfot - 21-11-2004 at 07:27

I thoat this type of oxidations are not fully studied.. or maby I'm lagging on this one..
Maby there are some new articles regarding this.
Seen only the mechanism of oxidation of a double bond by MnO4-.

BromicAcid - 21-11-2004 at 07:38

All I remember from my organic chemistry class about this reaction was the teacher saying "I know that the first thing you think of is a pac-man type reaction, eating its way down the chain and leaving you with the carboxylic acid, but there is actually much more to it."

And yes, it was to my understanding too that this reaction was not fully understood.

Esplosivo - 21-11-2004 at 07:50

Since we're at it, does anybody know if the oxidation of toluene, and other alkylarenes, is carried out only by alkaline Permanganate? Can it be carried out by acidic permanganate? I'm asking about this because I do not have toluene (not that easy to find where I live) and cannot therefore carry out the above reactions. Thanks for the help.

[Edited on 21-11-2004 by Esplosivo]

unionised - 21-11-2004 at 14:46

"You might trying to read this thread........

" Benzene synthesis" , find it on the search function, it also has some patents and other methods......solo "

You might, indeed, try reading that thread.
I did, I couldn't find anything about the reaction mechanism so I can't help wondering why Solo posted that message.

Ref: Oxydation Mechanism

solo - 21-11-2004 at 15:33

Then this might suffice as to the explanation of the mechanism of oxidation of toluene as an alkyl side chain of benzene......solo

Attachment: - CHEMISTRY OF BENZENE- ELECTROPHILIC AROMATIC SUBSTITUTION.pdf (48kB)
This file has been downloaded 1135 times