Sciencemadness Discussion Board

HCOOH storage - any CO risk?

Grebulocities - 20-2-2014 at 12:16

I just obtained 950 mL of 95% formic acid, and I've read that it decomposes slowly over time even at room temperature to make CO and H2O. I believe my bottle has a self-venting cap, so there won't be a pressure buildup, but is the production rate of CO fast enough to cause any safety issues if I store the bottle of formic acid on a shelf in my house?

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm really new at this and I don't have a CO detector, so I just wanted to make sure I won't gas myself!

[Edited on 20-2-2014 by Grebulocities]

testimento - 20-2-2014 at 12:39

My farmer friends store 10s of tons of that stuff around and after 40 years they're still alive. So I think its fairly safe.

Grebulocities - 20-2-2014 at 18:58

Alrighty, thanks. I doubted there would be any problem, but figured it would be better to ask now than get nominated for a Darwin later. ;)

CarlScheele - 21-2-2014 at 05:08

Could you share your source for formic acid? I have some flavoring esters I'd like to make with it. I suppose I could make my own:
http://thechemikid.weebly.com/synthesize-formic-acid.html

If I can source a precursor cheaply I do, often interesting to compare quality on make-it- yourself vs. commercial or even lab grade. Working up purity via. Re crystallization is fun. Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack a thread.

I'm building a wooden acid storage cabinet I plan to vent to the outside.

gdflp - 21-2-2014 at 05:31

I bought my formic acid for like US$13.00 a liter from Duda Diesel on ebay.