Sciencemadness Discussion Board

TCATP acts like HMTD???

wish i had a kraken!!! - 11-3-2014 at 08:44

I always used to believe that TCATP(acetone peroxide) wont detonate by impact but recently I made a few grams of it and let it dry out for almost 2 days in a cool place (so it didn't evaporated!) and then I placed a few amounts of on a metallic surface(I used anvil) when I hit it by a steel hammer it detonated!!!

another amazing experience was that when I hit the same material which was not dried it used to vanish!!! no detonation occurred-just the sound of collision of steel hammer and anvil- it just vanished!

I always thought TCATP won't be detonate by impact ,so , I thought some of u might think like me thought in the past
and I wanted to share with u my experience!!! be careful!!!

hissingnoise - 11-3-2014 at 08:58

Many here will be appalled at the thought of someone fucking around with organic peroxides without a full knowledge of their properties . . . ?

packetforger - 11-3-2014 at 14:27

You thought acetone peroxide *does not* detonate from impact?!

Acetone peroxide is a sensitive primary explosive. Of course it detonates from impact, shock, friction, flame, spark, electrostatic discharge, or having its name taken in vain.

I would suggest you do a bit more reading up on the materials you are working with before taking such actions as whalloping them with hammers and the like...

roXefeller - 11-3-2014 at 15:42

I like that his example of "most sensitive material" is HMTD.

The_Davster - 11-3-2014 at 15:53

What sort of primary would you not expect to detonate from impact?

closed.