Sciencemadness Discussion Board

My MS300 is broken

TheTavernLab - 7-4-2014 at 11:42

Hello everyone! first of all I would like to exploit this occasion just to introduce myself, since I'm a new memeber of this wonderful forum! My name is Riccardo and I'm from Italy.

I bought a ms300 hot plate and stirrer almost one year ago, everything worked fine for a while. Then, few months ago I left it home and I moved to study abroad, without using it for all that time. Well, now that I came back, thinking about using it for my experiments, I had a very bad surprise.

Not even a single button is working anymore, the probe and the monitor work very well, but I can't set up temperature, time and stirrer as well, it is a nightmare. Practically, the whole thing is totally useless now, it is just a thermometer! Have one of you had an experience like this in the past? Do you know how to fix it (in the remote possibility that is still possible!)? Unfortunately I got no money enought to buy a new one, damn!

Thank you in advance guys, and could science be by your side! bye ;)

jwpa17 - 7-4-2014 at 17:19

At the bottom of this page
http://www.china-total.com/Product/meter/magnetic-stirrer/ma...
there is an email, saying to contact if you need a manual or information. I'd start by writing and asking for information. The description says it's microprocessor controlled - could be a damaged processor, but it could be something like a loose connection, or a dead on-board battery. Before you take anything apart, I'd contact the supplier and ask about the warranty. THEN, if not under warranty, open it up and take a look inside (unplugged, of course). I haven't had much luck repairing microprocessor based systems, but you could possibly replace the electronics with an Arduino and use the same sensor. You'd have to work out the motor/heater control issue.

Chemosynthesis - 8-4-2014 at 08:23

Please keep us updated on how this goes. My friend has a MS-300, as well as a very inexpensive Chinese sourced organic glassware kit, despite my repeated attempts to get him to consider otherwise due to this very concern.

valeg96 - 8-4-2014 at 11:01

TheTavernLab, I sent you a message in U2U.