Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Question on setup of electrochemical cell

Ax165Xj - 9-4-2014 at 17:02

I am a bit confused on the set-up of a divided cell. I know the whole salt bridge stuff but is that how it is actually done? I saw this cheap voltaic cell that comes with a porous cup:
Economy Voltaic Cell

It makes sense in my head that the porous cup could serve a similar function as a salt bridge. Am I correct in thinking that?

Metacelsus - 9-4-2014 at 17:17

Yes, it serves the same purpose.

arkoma - 16-6-2014 at 17:33

I've used a "salt bridge" tube, clay flower pots, and gore-tex. By far (for me) easiest, most trouble free has been the clay flower pot.

To do the salt bridge tube:

I used aquarium hose with a tightly wadded cotton ball in one end. Fill the hose with saturated salt (sodium chloride) solution. Keep in mind you don't want air bubbles. Then pack another tightly wadded cotton ball in the other end. Voila!

This pic doesn't exactly match, but ya can get the idea. What your doing is giving a pathway for electrons to move, leaving the larger anions and cations in their respective half cells.

Burner - 16-6-2014 at 19:24

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
I've used a "salt bridge" tube, clay flower pots, and gore-tex.

Has anyone used Tyvek successfully? I have read a number of suggestions on the forum here where its use has been suggested but I have not seen anyone report on its actual use, either positive or negative.

jock88 - 17-6-2014 at 14:54

I think a guy who posts here (Burner?) is going to try some in the near future and report back. ;)

nannah - 21-8-2014 at 13:09

How did he do with the tyvek? And how did he form a cup of the tyvek and kept it in place?

And how did the gore-tex do?

/Nannah.