Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Test for genuine Turquoise?

D4RR3N - 28-5-2014 at 11:10

Can anyone think of a very simple chemical test to confirm real turquoise from fake dyed stones, howlite etc. Turquoise is aluminum phosphate with small amounts of copper so I was thinking a phosphate test of come kind would do the trick

any ideas?

elementcollector1 - 28-5-2014 at 11:11

Copper test would probably be more suitable.
What about the standard mineral tests? Scratch plate, Mohs hardness, etc.?

D4RR3N - 28-5-2014 at 11:22

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Copper test would probably be more suitable.
What about the standard mineral tests? Scratch plate, Mohs hardness, etc.?

Testing hardness requires equipment, I just want some test that will identify if copper or phosphate is present.

I just want to crush a small sample into powder and drip a solution on it and get a positive or negative result.

HgDinis25 - 28-5-2014 at 11:25

Actually, testing hardness could only require a piece of glass, a nail, a finger nail, and some knowledge.
Anyway, heat it up with concentrated Sulfuric Acid in a test tube. If it's Copper Phosphate it should form an equilibrium, thus coloring the solution blue. Watch out for phosphric acid fumes.

D4RR3N - 28-5-2014 at 16:47

Fake turquoise is dyed blue so it may turn the solution blue anyway?

Perhaps a phosphate test would be more accurate since turquoise is the only gem stone to contain it whilst copper may be common to many.

elementcollector1 - 28-5-2014 at 17:58

No, concentrated sulfuric acid would likely destroy the dye.
Copper is not very common in gemstones - come to think of it, I can't think of any other major gems containing copper... Unless as trace impurity. Azurite maybe? But it's a very different shade than turquoise...

D4RR3N - 29-5-2014 at 06:43

Malachite contains copper in a high degree, formula for Turquoise is actually CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8ยท4H2O it is not copper phosphate as someone above stated.

so basically I heat some crushed turquoise with conc sulphuric acid and if it turns blue its genuine turquoise?

elementcollector1 - 29-5-2014 at 08:56

Pretty much, yeah. Dyed howlite would just dissolve to a clear solution (destruction of dye and dissolution of the Ca/B/Si oxyhydroxide).

unionised - 29-5-2014 at 11:01

If I'm reading things correctly, unhardened mild steel will scratch howlite but not turquoise.

If I was looking for something to dye howlite, I might use a copper based dye like monastral blue or even a solution of copper sulphate.

zed - 29-5-2014 at 20:27

A lot of fakes are actually mineral stuff, stuck together with resin. Touch the tip of a red hot pin to the backside of your purported turquoise. If it melts, it's bogus.