Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sciencemadness App

TheChemiKid - 13-6-2014 at 17:20

Would it be possible to make an ios and android app for sciencemadness?
It would include all features of sciencemadness, but in an app.
I do not know much about designing apps, so I would need help.
Please leave ideas and what you think of this below.

hydride_shift - 13-6-2014 at 17:48

Not sure how many members would want their identity,
phone number and location tethered to their activities on this forum!

TheChemiKid - 13-6-2014 at 18:01

It wouldn't necessarily need to be tethered to the number and location.

The Volatile Chemist - 13-6-2014 at 19:21

Technically it would be. A phone's IP would be bound to the site, making it that much easier to trace the person, though in practical terms, it would make no difference. Over all, such an app may be used by many (I don't have either type of device though), but it would have trouble clearing ios' app registration process, because of this site's content.
I know a bit about programming, and I figure it wouldn't be too terrible to make, but it would require at least 100 hours of work, preferably by more than one person. And it'd be simplistic. And require probably more work by provolone than he'd wish to put into such a project.

Metacelsus - 13-6-2014 at 20:06

I could probably throw an Android app together in a few weeks (depending on exactly what we wanted it to do). However, I have no experience with iPhone programming.

However, what (more than browsing the forum) is necessary?

numos - 13-6-2014 at 20:14

I use SM on my phone all the time, I linked the URL to my homepage and use it like that. This post is written on my phone...

The Volatile Chemist - 14-6-2014 at 05:27

Right. I have a 2008 Nokia N800 tablet, but I can browse the forums because I have internet access, an app isn't necessary.

Zyklon-A - 14-6-2014 at 06:09

But an app would be cool. It probably isn't worth the trouble to make it though.
I would definitely use the app if it was made. I use my phone quite a bit on this site. [This was typed on it]

Mailinmypocket - 14-6-2014 at 06:12

There is an app that allows you to use any forum. The only thing is that the forum owner (Polverone) needs to install some sort of client on the server end I believe. Haven't read much into it because Scimad works fine on my device (iPhone 5s)

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20000