Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemistry Wiki Attempt

Pages:  1  2    4

The Volatile Chemist - 3-7-2014 at 19:39

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
@The Volatile Chemist: Could you please use the new format for chemical compounds and elements? We're really trying to go for some cohesion on these pages. You can implement it by clicking the link at the top of the page when you create a new page.
Sorry, I read that part after I had edited.....oops :( Won't happen again.

good work

quantime - 4-7-2014 at 00:34

I think what you are doing is fantastic. I am teaching myself o-chem and I read your wiki as much as I can. I wish I could help, but I am not smart enough yet. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you persons who are doing the wiki.:)

Amos - 4-7-2014 at 11:32

I think it's great that you've decided to start up chemistry, but you can definitely contribute if you want to! I've sat down multiple times to write articles on the very simplest of chemicals (table salt, for example :o). If you pick a chemical you'd like to know about and decide to write an article on it, you'll learn so much during the write-up that you'll basically be an expert on it. It's a great way to learn new things.

The Volatile Chemist - 5-7-2014 at 06:02

50 pictures annd not yet 100 pages? Pictures are great, but this isnt wikimedia! Let's make some more stubs, guys...

Texium - 5-7-2014 at 09:13

Stubs are fine to start with, but make sure to do more than just make stubs though. Also when you do make a stub, make sure to mark it with the {{stub}} template so that it will be visible on the list of stubs page.

And I can provide a lot of the pictures. I have a decent camera, so anything that I have I can provide a picture for, as I have with some things already. I actually plan on retaking a couple of the earlier ones, like the copper sulfate, because I found out how to focus my camera better for close-up shots.

Overall though, I'd have to say, it's looking really great! It's progressing a good bit faster than I originally expected it to.

Brain&Force - 9-7-2014 at 11:46

Can someone make a periodic table template (maybe just copying it from Wikipedia and modifying it will work) and a template for chemical compounds? This will help improve navigation and allow for addition of red links for new articles.

Also, just to reiterate, all photos that I post here (mostly in Pretty Pictures (2)) can be copied and used in the wiki. I still don't have an account, so I can't copy them myself. Just make sure to attribute them to me. woelen's photos can be used with attribution, and I believe kristofvagyok's can as well (again, with attribution). I'll send him a U2U.

My photos fall under a beerware-type license.

[Edited on 9.7.2014 by Brain&Force]

Brain&Force - 18-7-2014 at 13:24

Yup, kristof said yes to using the photos. The wiki's become quite inactive now...

Texium - 18-7-2014 at 13:44

Yeah it has. I'm sorry for not having the burst of editing that I promised. As it turned out there was more stuff going on in July for me than I thought there was. Plus I find it easier to work on it when other people are too. It adds a little morale boost.

The Volatile Chemist - 23-7-2014 at 05:56

Yeah it has. I'm sorry for not having the burst of editing that I promised. As it turned out there was more stuff going on in July for me than I thought there was. Plus I find it easier to work on it when other people are too. It adds a little morale boost.

It definitely does :/ Lets make a boost day and advertize it on SM. That way everybody contributes at once, it's more encouraging when we get stuff done, and we get more people involved! You can choose a day, if you like the idea.

The Volatile Chemist - 26-7-2014 at 12:06

All I can say in regards to the wiki is that it's going downhill... If we got more people to understand that the wiki would be the solidification of the information on this forum, procedures developed would be put there, information on reactions, etc. But it's not got enough visitors...

alexleyenda - 26-7-2014 at 21:00

Unfortunately lots of things are going on in my life atm, I probably won't have any time for chemistry at home until next summer. I might still post a bit and finish what I was working on but yeah, I won't do much : /

The Volatile Chemist - 27-7-2014 at 15:22

Quote: Originally posted by alexleyenda  
Unfortunately lots of things are going on in my life atm, I probably won't have any time for chemistry at home until next summer. I might still post a bit and finish what I was working on but yeah, I won't do much : /

That's too bad! If there's anything we can do...?
Anyone know where zts is?

Brain&Force - 27-7-2014 at 21:42

I've just been having too much fun this month...my birthday and all. I'm so busy with all sorts of other things that I've been neglecting chemistry (it happens when you don't have a lab...)

alexleyenda - 27-7-2014 at 21:59

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

That's too bad! If there's anything we can do...?

Nah, sometime life really sucks, and i'm deep in a hole atm... It'll take some time and serious actions to get out of it. And in a month I'll be moving to an apartment, obviously I'll leave my chemistry things at my dad's house so, I won't really have chances to do any until university is over the summer. At least I'm in chemistry ! Anyways that's about that

Texium - 28-7-2014 at 07:04

Well I'm back now. I was in Big Bend and had no service pretty much the whole time, and even then only my cell phone, which I hate using for replying on the forum. I must say, it was a little sad to see that only a couple edits were made in the week that I was away, but it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes people just don't have the time or willpower to work on it, and that's fine. There's no time limit to it, so we can just continue adding to it at whatever pace is comfortable. And if someone wants to have an editing rampage... more power to them! :D

The Volatile Chemist - 28-7-2014 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I've just been having too much fun this month...my birthday and all. I'm so busy with all sorts of other things that I've been neglecting chemistry (it happens when you don't have a lab...)

My birthday was this month, I got pretty distracted too :)

Well I'm back now. I was in Big Bend and had no service pretty much the whole time, and even then only my cell phone, which I hate using for replying on the forum. I must say, it was a little sad to see that only a couple edits were made in the week that I was away, but it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes people just don't have the time or willpower to work on it, and that's fine. There's no time limit to it, so we can just continue adding to it at whatever pace is comfortable. And if someone wants to have an editing rampage... more power to them! :D

So should we have a promotional 'edit Day'?

Texium - 10-8-2014 at 16:31

Ok, I'm planning on doing a lot of editing tonight (stopping only for dinner until I get too tired to work on it anymore) so if anyone else wants to join me on that, you're more than welcome to.

Also, I'd be happy for the site to migrated to the Sciencemadness server whenever it's convenient, because I see no reason for it to stay on WIkia. It would be a lot more customizable and professional looking if it was over here. I know next to nothing about websites though, so I have no idea how that would work.

The Volatile Chemist - 11-8-2014 at 07:10

Ok, I'm planning on doing a lot of editing tonight (stopping only for dinner until I get too tired to work on it anymore) so if anyone else wants to join me on that, you're more than welcome to.

Also, I'd be happy for the site to migrated to the Sciencemadness server whenever it's convenient, because I see no reason for it to stay on WIkia. It would be a lot more customizable and professional looking if it was over here. I know next to nothing about websites though, so I have no idea how that would work.

Well... I dunno If they'd move it to scimad, but it certainly should be more customizable. It should become the more solid form of data and experiments and procedures that have been synthesized by our community. Like a formal collection of all our work. If putting it on sciencemadness doesn't work, we could put it on my server if you wanted.

Texium - 11-8-2014 at 08:16

Polverone wants us to restrict access to those who are registered, and eventually migrate the wiki to the Sciencemadness servers.
It should work. It would also probably be better to do it sooner rather than later, before it gets much bigger. I don't know how all that works though, whether it's something that could be done automatically, or if we'll have to copy and paste everything over. I guess a new part of the site will have to be made too.

And yes, a formal collection of our work would be great. A lot of times when stuff is in thread format, it's a lot harder to find specific procedures and stuff since they often get long and go off topic and get added to and changed over months or even years. For instance, the preparation of elemental phosphorus thread is simply insane. There's nothing wrong with it, but if you weren't part of the discussion for a long time, it's really hard to get pieces of good information out of it. If we had a wiki page about preparation of elemental phosphorus, it could include the best procedures from the thread in an easy to follow format.

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force - 11-8-2014 at 09:01

If Polverone wants to have the wiki on his servers, he needs to install MediaWiki - I think. I have no idea how things are run server-side. That may be an issue for Forum Matters. The source of the pages shouldn't be an issue - just copy and paste.

But if someone would give us some article requests, it would really help us in figuring out what to do. (I'll put it in my sig - U2U me for an article request)

Texium - 11-8-2014 at 09:44

If Polverone wants to have the wiki on his servers, he needs to install MediaWiki - I think. I have no idea how things are run server-side. That may be an issue for Forum Matters. The source of the pages shouldn't be an issue - just copy and paste.

But if someone would give us some article requests, it would really help us in figuring out what to do. (I'll put it in my sig - U2U me for an article request)
Yeah, article requests are a good idea. I think I'll put that in my signature too. Up until now, I've just been making pages for whatever I happen to be doing at the time.
I think we should just wait for Polverone's input about migration, unless you think we should start a thread in Forum Matters about it.

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by zts16]

Texium - 12-8-2014 at 11:17

The wiki has been a lot more active in the past two days. Many thanks to those who have been contributing!
Also, to any of you guys whose account have been compromised, Brain&Force says that in the meantime you can come work on the wiki if you have nothing better to do. :)

Texium - 12-8-2014 at 13:19

Okay, so one thing that I've noticed is that (especially recently) there haven't been many people citing sources. Personally, I don't really care. I do it and try to enforce it because it seems like the right thing to do, and to make it more credible, but if nobody else wants to cite sources and everyone's cool with that, I guess we don't have too. Anyone have any input on this issue?

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 09:27

I would say to put stuff down regardless of citations for now so we can help the wiki grow, but cite whatever you're able to cite, especially if there's a Sciencemadness thread on the subject. (We can tell people to either UTFSE or check the SM wiki.)

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 09:35

I would say to put stuff down regardless of citations for now so we can help the wiki grow, but cite whatever you're able to cite, especially if there's a Sciencemadness thread on the subject.
Okay, but I think in the long run it's easier to cite at the time of the writing. It's especially difficult to cite things for other people, since you don't actually know where the information came from. Basically, if we're going to cite, let's cite as we write. If not, then it can just be assumed that it's "peer reviewed" by other members and therefore fairly accurate, and I'll take down the stuff that says to cite sources.
(We can tell people to either UTFSE or check the SM wiki.)

UTFW!

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 09:48

The thing about chemistry and the sciences is that most of the results that will be listed in the wiki are repeatable: it can be demonstrated in a lab. Not so much with the history that is prevalent in sources like Wikipedia.

It may also be a good idea to link videos as well. I'll start a page on trimethyl borate and include one of my own videos for shameless self-promotion :D

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 10:01

The thing about chemistry and the sciences is that most of the results that will be listed in the wiki are repeatable: it can be demonstrated in a lab. Not so much with the history that is prevalent in sources like Wikipedia.
Very true. I guess we could do it like Tdep does, and vouch that the information in the page is correct in the references section.

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 11:13

I'm currently testing a large amount of features on the wiki, including achievements, polls, etc. Let's see how things work out. Feel free to give me feedback.

Oh, and edit an article within the category "Acids" for a surprise...

[Edited on 14.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 11:21

Oh ok, oops, didn't see this. I just sent you a U2U asking about that, lol.
I was going to try implementing some of those features myself at some point, but never got around to it.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 14:02

Serious question: What do we put in the category of "acids?" I know that iron(III) chloride is a Lewis acid, so by definition it's an acid. BUT I also know that the use of the word "acid" implies something that donates protons like HCl, HBr, H2SO4, etc. Should Lewis acids like ferric chloride go under the category "acids?"

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 14:08

How about we assume Brønsted-Lowry acids for things in the acids category, and have a separate category for Lewis acids, since the concept is a bit broad?
(And the same for bases too)

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 14:38

That's how I've been doing it the whole time, so no change is needed.

Also, if a Sciencemadness member is selling an element or compound, can he/she put up a notice on the wiki? It might be of use for trades.

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 14:56

That's how I've been doing it the whole time, so no change is needed.
Yeah, that's why I figured that it'd be easiest that way. :)
Also, if a Sciencemadness member is selling an element or compound, can he/she put up a notice on the wiki? It might be of use for trades.
I don't see why not. Maybe we could have a marketplace page too, where all notices can be additionally located.

Oh, and I made some of the adding categories achievements related to bonding. (Single bond, double bond, triple bond) not sure yet what the rest will be though. I'm trying to think of something chemistry related to use for the picture achievements also.

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 15:16

Lol, I just discovered that the wiki suggests eating a concentrated alkali hydroxide solution... Great idea.

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 6.15.11 PM.png - 39kB

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 15:19

I already finished it for you. I know a few members are trying to sell stuff, I'll contact them to see if they're interested.

Tdep - 14-8-2014 at 17:10

Very true. I guess we could do it like Tdep does, and vouch that the information in the page is correct in the references section.

I wouldn't say I was vouching for its correctness, I'd say I'm taking responsibility for the information I provide. So if you see something slightly questionable, you know who to argue with :)

Brain&Force - 14-8-2014 at 17:19

Lol, I just discovered that the wiki suggests eating a concentrated alkali hydroxide solution... Great idea.

Look what I found on Wikipedia:

mother of satan.png - 216kB

I really, really, REALLY do not want to see this edited out.

[edit] oh, wait, TATP really is called "Mother of Satan!"

[Edited on 15.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

Texium - 14-8-2014 at 18:08

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  

I wouldn't say I was vouching for its correctness, I'd say I'm taking responsibility for the information I provide. So if you see something slightly questionable, you know who to argue with :)
Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

The Volatile Chemist - 15-8-2014 at 06:28

So recommended way of citing at the moment? I prefer the self vouching for now, but how exactly should I put that on the pages?

Brain&Force - 15-8-2014 at 10:35

Here's what I would recommend: use whatever sources are available, but try to follow this order of precedence for which sources are better:

1. Any handbooks, such as CRC
2. "Trustworthy" websites
3. Sciencemadness threads
4. Personal experience (and if you use this, I highly recommend you start a blog or post about experiment results on your talk page).

There are badges given for editing articles about acids, bases and lanthanides, and I'll be adding more categories to encourage editing.

Texium - 15-8-2014 at 14:34

Yeah, I was going to work on that. I thought you'd appreciate the lanthanides one though. :) I thought of some more achievement names last night after I got off too, such as Mischmetal, but I see that you filled in the rest of them. And I think that we should have a page similar to Get Started that has the basic editing protocol and rules for everyone to read, with a link to it in big attention-getting text on the main page.

Edit: I'm working on the editing guidelines page now.
Edit again: B&F, I copied your list from your last post directly into the page

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by zts16]

[Edited on 8-16-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force - 15-8-2014 at 16:30

I have a logo for us! What do you think of it?

Also, what else do you think should be incentivized on the wiki? I was thinking transition metals, organic compounds, solvents, and lab equipment. Potentially energetic materials as well, because we need safety procedures for their production and handling.

Texium - 15-8-2014 at 19:53

I would have suggested exactly the ones that you suggested. I was about to make a track for organic compounds earlier, but then I had to go do something. Maybe also theory? We have almost no theory on there, but that's just as important as chemicals and equipment, albeit more difficult to write about.

Tdep - 15-8-2014 at 20:41

Maybe also theory? We have almost no theory on there, but that's just as important as chemicals and equipment, albeit more difficult to write about.

Don't get too far ahead, there's more than enough chemicals and equipement to keep writing about for now :P

Texium - 15-8-2014 at 21:52

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Maybe also theory? We have almost no theory on there, but that's just as important as chemicals and equipment, albeit more difficult to write about.

Don't get too far ahead, there's more than enough chemicals and equipement to keep writing about for now :P
Yeah, you're right about that. We've all got a lot on our plates. It would be nice if some other people would help out. (hint hint)

Brain&Force - 16-8-2014 at 13:30

These categories are really hard to incentivize. If I want to edit the article "Terbium sulfate" it won't count as an edit to the Lanthanides category because it's not a member of that category. Hopefully Wikia has a way of fixing this...

Anyway, I realized that we need to do a better job of promoting the use of the wiki. If you see a place where an article on the wiki may have information on the topic at hand (especially in Beginnings) post a link!

The Volatile Chemist - 16-8-2014 at 15:35

Sorry I haven't helped more...I get distracted while I'm on the computer. Yea, let's not move on to theory till we have an article on clasien flasks (this should be a good indicator of how detailed we get in our article-writing). We might want a list of starter subjects for people wanting to contribute only a little. (Like: "favorite chemical, most often used piece of equipment, strong chemical... etc.).

Sorry for the scetchiness of this post, I'm not even supposed to be on the computer right now...

Brain&Force - 17-8-2014 at 15:09

On the subject of trades, do you want to have a single page where sellers can list their items or do you want to put stuff for sale on the relevant pages (so someone selling cobalt would have a notification on the "Acquisition" section of the cobalt page)? If we use a single central page, should we make it free for anyone with an account to put up an ad, or should we restrict it to admin editing only?

Texium - 17-8-2014 at 15:41

Let's make one central page. It's a lot easier that way, because then you can see everything that's for sale all in one place. And I think we can have it open to anyone with an account unless it causes any problems. If it does then we can restrict it at that point. It would be a lot simpler once the wiki gets integrated to the forum, however that may happen.

Edit: I made the page, it's really simplistic, but something to start with.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force - 17-8-2014 at 17:09

I added in some rules and legalese. Tell me if you think there need to be any edits to the policies included.

Texium - 17-8-2014 at 17:45

I added in some rules and legalese. Tell me if you think there need to be any edits to the policies included.
Thanks, and not any that I can think of now. Looks good to me. Hopefully people will use it.

The Volatile Chemist - 18-8-2014 at 09:32

Yes definitely a single page. Suprisingly, it looks as school will be starting for me, I will have more time...

Brain&Force - 18-8-2014 at 09:51

Apparently, you have to be autoconfirmed in order to edit the Marketplace page, which sucks because there are probably going to be quite a few people who register for the wiki just to advertise their stuff. zts16, is there any way you can add elementcollector1 to the autoconfirmed group?

Texium - 18-8-2014 at 09:52

I will not... My schedule is packed because I'm cramming a year and a half's worth of classes into one year. For the first couple weeks and occasionally on the weekends I will probably be around, but not all that often other than that.

Brain&Force - 18-8-2014 at 09:57

Well, I think I may have a bit less time, as I'm heading to university in October, but I should still be able to edit the wiki and do what admins do.

Also, I'm going to mention the marketplace here so that I can gauge opinions. Nobody seems to read this thread...should I also post info in Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition as well?

The Volatile Chemist - 18-8-2014 at 10:20

In my opinion, yes. Also encourage people to write on their favorite procedures (possibly in our signatures...), maybe in a post to a topic where you'd already have some comment to make. eg. If you complement someone on a way to calcinate a complex or something, add they should add their method to the wiki.

Brain&Force - 21-8-2014 at 12:31

Great to see the nice flurry of editing on the wiki!

Please fill this up and vote for your favorites!

Also, who was that one guy who was recategorizing everything? Just curious.

[Brain&Force: fixed error in a hyperlink]

[Brain&Force: I hate smilies]

[Edited on 21.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

The Volatile Chemist - 21-8-2014 at 14:34

:Projects_for_the_beginning_chemist lol :) I'll try to do a bit tonight.

Brain&Force - 21-8-2014 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
IUPAC says "sulfur, aluminium, caesium"

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Naming_conventions_(chemistry)#Caesium_v_Cesium

ACS begs to differ, but hey... my country is one of three still using the silly English unit system. Call me a pushover but I tend to go with majority vote.

[Edited on 16-6-2014 by Praxichys]

Ok quick question...I know that "caesium" is the preferred spelling, but even British English speakers don't use it. And unlike sulfur and aluminium, I would also think a foreign speaker is likely to spell it "cesium" rather than "caesium."

I'd like to hear any concurring or dissenting opinions.

Zyklon-A - 21-8-2014 at 17:59

I use and prefer "cesium". It's spelled how its pronounced.

Tdep - 21-8-2014 at 18:23

If anyone edits out my use of the word 'colour' I won't be happy haha :P

Brain&Force - 21-8-2014 at 21:44

What do you use, Tdep? Cesium or caesium?

Tdep - 21-8-2014 at 22:56

Knowing my spelling, probably czum.

But cesium.

Edit: just realised that joke won't make sense to you Americans because I say Zee and you say Zed.

Edit 2: my friend just angrily informed me it's the other way around, and apparently I'm meant to be the one saying zed.

I think I'm going to be deported now.

[Edited on 22-8-2014 by Tdep]

[Edited on 22-8-2014 by Tdep]

Brain&Force - 21-8-2014 at 23:48

I thought you narrated this video about TAZedP?

Zinc Permanganate Complex: http://youtu.be/jtGyug-S8uI

We use zee but Canadians use zed.

Tdep - 21-8-2014 at 23:54

Oh gosh I've just been proven wrong by myself. I don't know how to feel about this.

I'm siting here like a moron making sleeping noises.

Zzzzzz?

The Volatile Chemist - 24-8-2014 at 17:05

lol, funny conversation. What needs the most work on the wiki, guys?

And B&F, I must ask b/c I don't recognize the formula which is your mood... what is it?

Brain&Force - 24-8-2014 at 19:26

It's the volume of an n-sphere where n is the dimension, r is the radius, and eta is the n-sphere constant. WolframAlpha REALLY botches this one by using pi instead (tau doesn't work here either!):

Note that eta is the measure of a right angle in radians. Also note that there are 2n right angles in an n-sphere (a circle, or 2-sphere, has 4 right angles, a 3-sphere (just a sphere) has 8, etc.) So the right angle is what defines an n-sphere!

Anyway, what we need most is images. I've been sending U2Us to members who have some interesting images for use on the wiki. Follow my lead - if you find any interesting images, ask if you can use them on the wiki. Once you secure permission, upload them.

Also, do you think we need a disclaimer page on the wiki? Saying things like how we don't support drug synthesis, bomb making, etc?

[edit] BBCode superscripts don't seem to be working properly. The proper expression is 2 to the n, not 2 times n

[Edited on 25.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

[Edited on 25.8.2014 by Brain&Force]

Amos - 1-9-2014 at 12:02

I've added some pictures, and as I do more chemistry I'll document it all visually via the wiki. Should we start making more articles on chemical processes, lab techniques, apparatus, etc.? I'm not the most experienced of us here, but things like how to conduct a simple distillation and such aren't beyond me, and there are a million pieces of glassware to write about if anyone thinks those are important. Let me know what you all think.

Texium - 1-9-2014 at 12:45

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
I've added some pictures, and as I do more chemistry I'll document it all visually via the wiki. Should we start making more articles on chemical processes, lab techniques, apparatus, etc.? I'm not the most experienced of us here, but things like how to conduct a simple distillation and such aren't beyond me, and there are a million pieces of glassware to write about if anyone thinks those are important. Let me know what you all think.
Definitely. Even though we have an infinite amount of chemical compounds to write about, we can't neglect everything else. Having pages for glassware would be awesome. We have one right now for general glassware, but more detailed pages for the more complex types would be great to have.
Pages detailing processes and procedures would be great to have too. Having those would really make the wiki stand out.

Also, earlier I made a template called the unsatisfactory page template that can be put on pages that don't meet the requirements (like the ones for hydrochloric and acetic acids, which are really messy since they were mostly pasted in from Wikipedia). It can be added like the stub template, but with {{unsatisfactory}} instead of {{stub}}.

Texium - 7-9-2014 at 19:24

Ha, I just went on the wiki and observed that the only articles that show up on the recent edits for today are picric acid and acetone peroxide... somebody visiting the wiki for the first time today might get the wrong idea. :P

Tdep - 7-9-2014 at 19:45

Haha I was about to do an edit for MEKP... Maybe I should do a non energetic article first :P

Amos - 8-9-2014 at 07:26

A lot of new home chemists begin because they want to make stuff blow up; I was one of them before I calmed down a bit. If anything I think that'll help more people find the wiki through searching, even if they are trying to destroy government property with it:D

Texium - 8-9-2014 at 16:44

A lot of new home chemists begin because they want to make stuff blow up; I was one of them before I calmed down a bit. If anything I think that'll help more people find the wiki through searching, even if they are trying to destroy government property with it:D
Yeah, I currently have a friend who is trying (painfully obviously) to leach off of my knowledge with very kewlish intentions. I told him that if he just wanted to make things go bewm he could research it on his own. I'm hoping he might get past that point and start to become interested in a more broad section of chemistry.
As for myself, when it comes to energetics, I've made black powder, and that's about it. They've never been a huge draw for me. I got into chemistry from a weird obsession with the periodic table that I've had my whole life that I finally decided to act upon about a year ago. I started element collecting first, and then I got into chemistry from that.

Brain&Force - 8-9-2014 at 18:41

I wasn't ever really interested in explosives - exotic rocket propellants and simply burning things to make colors was more of my taste. I did enjoy other uses of chemistry simultaneously, however.

The Volatile Chemist - 10-9-2014 at 13:31

I just liked the logical/thinking part. I didn't get into hands-on chemistry experimentation till a year or so ago.

The Volatile Chemist - 11-9-2014 at 14:42

Who's the Mabus Guy? Has anyone suggested he join Sciencemadness? Or is he not that kind of guy...?

Amos - 11-9-2014 at 17:48

Y'know, I just kind of assumed he was a sciencemadness member. Maybe he saw my posts on reddit and came from there? It'd be good to know.

Texium - 11-9-2014 at 18:37

Yes, he is a Sciencemadness member. His username on here is just Mabus. He hasn't posted very much.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by zts16]

The Volatile Chemist - 13-9-2014 at 13:42

OK. I'm glad he's contributing, but he needs to try to sound more professional, or at least work on grammar. 'If you prefer' doesn't have place in science articles. Not to say his help isn't appreciated.

Texium - 13-9-2014 at 17:21

OK. I'm glad he's contributing, but he needs to try to sound more professional, or at least work on grammar. 'If you prefer' doesn't have place in science articles. Not to say his help isn't appreciated.
I agree about the sounding more professional part, but It's not a big deal as it can be edited out later, not to mention that sounding more professional is something that wouldn't hurt for you to work on yourself. His contributions are very informative and most definitely appreciated.
(He certainly contributes more than you do, TVC! :P)

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by zts16]

Amos - 13-9-2014 at 18:01

As far as sounding more professional goes, pronouns like "you" and instructions that are written in imperative form (ex: grind the acetone peroxide in a mortar and pestle) probably shouldn't be there unless they are written in the form of a rare aside, as if you were speaking directly to the reader. But then if we get caught up on too many rules people will be afraid to post. As long as a couple of us check the edits(I typically check all of them out of curiosity) for that kind of language it can be remedied. There's a happy medium between a wiki with a ton of informally written raw information and one that has very little info but is flawlessly written.

Texium - 13-9-2014 at 21:05

instructions that are written in imperative form (ex: grind the acetone peroxide in a mortar and pestle) probably shouldn't be there
Haha, that particular instruction shouldn't be there under any circumstances! ;)

The Volatile Chemist - 14-9-2014 at 10:47

Haha :)

Quote:
not to mention that sounding more professional is something that wouldn't hurt for you to work on yourself.
:/ Hey...
And I do edit a pretty good bit, check my edit count... :/

Amos - 14-9-2014 at 12:18

Holy shite! I just realized while looking through this thread that Zyklon-A and I have the same first name(Amos). What're the odds?

The Volatile Chemist - 14-9-2014 at 14:16

That's crazy! Haven't met anyone on here w/ the first name Nathan.
Did a good bit of editing today.

Texium - 14-9-2014 at 16:52

OK. I'm glad he's contributing, but he needs to try to sound more professional, or at least work on grammar.
Well, it does appear that you're still getting "its" and "it's" confused.

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 7.42.17 PM.png - 65kB

I normally wouldn't point that out, at least not in front of everyone else, but in this case I thought that it was appropriate since you were criticizing someone else's grammar.
Check yourself before you shrek yourself dude. (:

Amos - 14-9-2014 at 17:08

OK. I'm glad he's contributing, but he needs to try to sound more professional, or at least work on grammar.
Well, it does appear that you're still getting "its" and "it's" confused.

I normally wouldn't point that out, at least not in front of everyone else, but in this case I thought that it was appropriate since you were criticizing someone else's grammar.
Check yourself before you shrek yourself dude. (:

First, thanks a bunch for the shrek-related images running through my head now, zts16 :o Secondly, I don't think The Volatile Chemist has been told about this issue yet; that was all MabusWinnfield as far as I can recall. It is still one of the most common mistakes I see as well. "It's" is only used in instances when the two words "it is" would make sense; "Its" is for instances like the one zts16 pointed out, when you are applying a condition or possession to something. Apart from that, though, good work with the editing; Any addition of useful information is valued even if the grammar isn't intact.

Brain&Force - 14-9-2014 at 17:17

Lol, don't worry about that. We got plenty of grammar nazis here.

Texium - 14-9-2014 at 19:28

First, thanks a bunch for the shrek-related images running through my head now, zts16 :o Secondly, I don't think The Volatile Chemist has been told about this issue yet; that was all MabusWinnfield as far as I can recall. It is still one of the most common mistakes I see as well. "It's" is only used in instances when the two words "it is" would make sense; "Its" is for instances like the one zts16 pointed out, when you are applying a condition or possession to something. Apart from that, though, good work with the editing; Any addition of useful information is valued even if the grammar isn't intact.
You're welcome!
And he knows, because I told him about it via U2U some time ago.

Really, I don't think that the grammar thing is a big deal, so long as people are trying their best to not make those mistakes. I don't mind going along and fixing them here and there when I'm performing one of my occasional wiki sweeps. All that matters is that we keep getting more good information put on there. Yesterday, I actually went to the wiki to find a bit of info that I needed. I think that's a sign that it's starting to turn into something useful.

The Volatile Chemist - 15-9-2014 at 13:30

Indeed! And yes...it's and its is a bit of a prob, mess it up a lot, sorry.
I went on a minor-edit rampage yesterday, hope to do a bit more today. Last I checked I was ranked 2 on the wiki...

Texium - 15-9-2014 at 13:36

Indeed! And yes...it's and its is a bit of a prob, mess it up a lot, sorry.
I went on a minor-edit rampage yesterday, hope to do a bit more today. Last I checked I was ranked 2 on the wiki...
Aha! So my motivational insulting worked!
Good job TVC. :)

I need to do more editing too. I'll probably mostly focus on reformatting and adding small bits of information, as I don't have a lot of time that I can spend at my computer writing up brand new pages.
Keep up the great work everyone!

The Volatile Chemist - 15-9-2014 at 13:52

Thanks zts! I have to prep for my first AP test tonight. I may get to help later on tonight.

Brain&Force - 15-9-2014 at 15:53

Being out for a week really hit my wiki ranking. I dropped down to #3 (tied with Zyklon) but I moved myself up in points by getting two easy badges :D You're still #2 Volatile.

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 09:38

Anyone have any issues with using the edit feature? I just got a Windows 8 device and so far I am unable to bring up the normal editor - I can only edit the wiki source code. Currently I'm using IE but I may switch to Firefox soon (my main computer uses FF as well).

Amos - 16-9-2014 at 09:56

Thanks zts! I have to prep for my first AP test tonight. I may get to help later on tonight.

And which AP test would that be? And somehow you high schoolers make me feel old...

Being out for a week really hit my wiki ranking. I dropped down to #3 (tied with Zyklon) but I moved myself up in points by getting two easy badges :D You're still #2 Volatile.

That wasn't a very nice thing to say about The Volatile Chemist. Oh, and you can forget about ever taking first place;)

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 15:20

Hey, I just was reading the stats! I'm #3 still.

zts16, on the other hand...

gdflp - 16-9-2014 at 16:55

LOL
How do you make a template on the wiki? One major thing which the wiki is missing, in my opinion, is physical data such as melting and boiling point, molecular mass, and solubility in water(and different solvents depending on how much data is available). If a template sidebar was put into all of the wiki articles, it wouldn't be too much trouble for someone who owns a CRC, like me, to go through and enter all of that physical data.

[Edited on 17-9-2014 by gdflp]

Amos - 16-9-2014 at 18:10

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
LOL
How do you make a template on the wiki? One major thing which the wiki is missing, in my opinion, is physical data such as melting and boiling point, molecular mass, and solubility in water(and different solvents depending on how much data is available). If a template sidebar was put into all of the wiki articles, it wouldn't be too much trouble for someone who owns a CRC, like me, to go through and enter all of that physical data.

[Edited on 17-9-2014 by gdflp]

I don't really mind not having that kind of information as it's right there on wikipedia. But yeah, as time goes by it would be good to have an all-inclusive wiki that doesn't require other sources. I don't know how to make a template, though, sorry.

Texium - 16-9-2014 at 19:27

Hey, I just was reading the stats! I'm #3 still.

zts16, on the other hand...
Hey, I've been busy! :P

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
LOL
I tried to make infoboxes for that information some time ago, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to do it, so I abandoned the idea for now. I'd definitely like to have it at some point. Some sort of a simplified version of Wikipedia's, with only the very useful information and statistics in it.
I also own a CRC, and I try to include that information, or at least some of it, in the body of the text on the pages that I write.

Brain&Force - 16-9-2014 at 19:37

Have you tried copying the source for infoboxes and expandables (those blue things on the bottom with links, I forget what you call them) from Wikipedia or other wikis and integrating it into the wiki? That's probably the easiest solution.
 Pages:  1  2    4