Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Electricity Practical

shc25 - 14-6-2014 at 22:40

Our teacher has told us that we will being doing an electricity practical task where the notion of "y = mx + b" will be used. (i.e. our graph will have a non-(0,0) intercept). Does anyone have any idea of what this might be? Thanks!

Brain&Force - 14-6-2014 at 23:17

Photoelectric effect?

E = hf - φ where E is the maximum kinectic energy of an electron, h is the Planck constant, f is the frequency of incident light, and φ is the work function of the metal.

aga - 15-6-2014 at 03:55

Ohm's Law i think.

a plot of current vs voltage will be a straight line for a 'normal' fixed resistor, and bent or wiggly for a non-ohmic resistor (one that changes resistance in reponse to voltage or current).

This may help:-
http://www2.cose.isu.edu/~hackmart/ohm%27s%20law_101l.pdf

Edit: Seems y = mx + b is just the formula for a straight line graph.

[Edited on 15-6-2014 by aga]

smaerd - 15-6-2014 at 13:58

Could be practically anything. Typically electrical phenomena do not follow perfectly linear equations. Exponential, and sinuisoidal/harmonic equations seem significantly more common. However, for approximation purposes linear type analysis seems possible.

Photo-electric effect would be one of those things that works as B&F stated.

All kinds of sensors can produce a linear region between two variables. One example currently on my mind would be current verses irradiation of PIN photodiodes.

Realistically though, a professor could ask anything, "Say the flux of a magnetic field of 5T 4 M away from a 20 turn solenoid that has a surface area of 20cm^2 follows the equation dPsy/dt = 35x + 12, what is the electricpotential across the solenoid?". etc. Probably better off asking the professor.

aga - 15-6-2014 at 22:22

Quote: Originally posted by shc25  
the notion of "y = mx + b" will be used. (i.e. our graph will have a non-(0,0) intercept)

If you just mean the algebra part, then it means 'a straight line' if you draw a graph.

y = something times x plus a bit.

If the 'bit' (b) is not zero, then you'll not get a result where x=0 and y=0, i.e. a '0,0 intercept', so long as b is not 0.

That pdf looks like a class handout ...

woelen - 15-6-2014 at 22:47

The ohmic law is not a good example of y=mx + b, for b not equal to 0. Every passive resistor, being linear or not has a characteristic, which can be written as V = R(I), where R is a function of the current I, with the property R(0) = 0. It is not necessarily true that R(-I) = -R(I), e.g. think of a diode. For a linear resistor, R(I) is of the form R*I, with * being normal multiplication.

aga - 16-6-2014 at 14:21

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
The ohmic law is not a good example of y=mx + b, for b not equal to 0

Agreed.

The class should be on Ohm's Law and the straight line equation given in a different class.

Combining the two will just confuse the students.

PHILOU Zrealone - 17-6-2014 at 09:08

R is also R(T) when temperature increases resistivity also does and when it freezes outside the current encounters less resistance.

Artemus Gordon - 17-6-2014 at 19:51

A forward-biased Silicon diode is a good example of y = mx + b. Current flow is negligible until voltage = approx. 0.6v, then it behaves Ohmically (Resistance = m, current = x, voltage = y).