Sciencemadness Discussion Board

eBay seller deschem

arkoma - 24-6-2014 at 09:39

My "secret santa" got me a distillation rig from deschem, out of china. Well, I broke the 500ml RBF almost immediately, thinking maybe a "bad pour" of borosilicate. Dunno.

What I do know, is that I contacted them, AND THEY ARE SENDING ME A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE.

I just checked the tracking number,and it is indeed on the way!!! Also, the original shipment took LESS than a week to reach the US from China.

Loptr - 24-6-2014 at 10:23

Could you speak to the quality of the glassware? How well have the fittings been formed to fit together--snug fit?

That is great that they replaced it, but I am just wondering will the replacement be of the same quality?

I am currently in the market for some glassware, and am paying keen attention to these glassware sourcing threads.

Haber - 24-6-2014 at 11:54

I own some 24/29 glassware from deschem and I haven't had any problems with quality, the parts fit very tight.

However one can easily see that this is cheap glassware because there are some bubbles and various defects in the glass, especially the condensers have bubbles in the glass.

None of my rbfs have bubbles which is a relief.

For the low cost I'm very satisfied.

arkoma - 24-6-2014 at 12:08

I'm overall VERY pleased. They even sent TWO thermometers, one mercury, one spirit.

alexleyenda - 24-6-2014 at 12:15

Quote: Originally posted by Haber  
I own some 24/29 glassware from deschem and I haven't had any problems with quality, the parts fit very tight.

However one can easily see that this is cheap glassware because there are some bubbles and various defects in the glass, especially the condensers have bubbles in the glass.

None of my rbfs have bubbles which is a relief.

For the low cost I'm very satisfied.

I would say the exact same thing about this seller. I've ordered several times from him now and the glassware was awesome for the price. By the way, I order from its Aliexpress shop, the shop is much more easy to browse and god knows why, the prices are lower there. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/111264

[Edited on 24-6-2014 by alexleyenda]

arkoma - 1-7-2014 at 08:37

Got my replacement flask yesterday!!! Completely free of charge from deschem, all the way from China

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by Polverone]

inertia - 20-7-2014 at 11:08

Does anyone have any experience pulling vacuum on deschem's glass? I have a couple distillation adapters from deschem (in addition to some rbfs and a few other miscellaneous items) which are equipped with the barbed vacuum adapter necks, but I don't know if I should trust it. Deschem's stuff is so cheap, I'm just worried that the glass isn't capable of handling a vacuum. My lab is pretty well equipped, but I'd rather not have flying shards coming at me.

gdflp - 20-7-2014 at 11:11

I don't have any experience personally with deschem, but I would say don't use a vacuum pump. That vacuum will be much stronger than an aspirator, which would probably be fine since they don't pull a very strong vacuum.

Magpie - 20-7-2014 at 14:18

An aspirator on cold water can easily pull down to a pressure of 50 mmHg or less. A full atmosphere is 760 mmHg. So 50mmHg is [(760-50)/760](100%) = 93% of a full vacuum.

gdflp - 23-7-2014 at 10:07

Really? Something must be wrong with my setup then. I have an aspirator connected to a fish pump rated at 128gph, but filtration using an 11cm buchner funnel along with a 500ml vacuum flask took about 12 hours. If I put my finger over the end of the vacuum output hose, I can't feel any vacuum whatsoever.

Magpie - 23-7-2014 at 10:43

Yes, you have have something really wrong there. I just measured my aspirator at 257 gph. It's giving me a deadheaded vacuum of 26 inches of Hg vacuum or 760-660 = 100mmHg absolute pressure.

aspirator.jpg - 78kB

Edit: I just corrected my flow rate (I slipped a decimal point). So maybe your flowrate is just too low.

[Edited on 23-7-2014 by Magpie]

gdflp - 23-7-2014 at 10:59

Hmmm I'm using this aspirator which claims it needs a flow rate of 1.5gpm(which my pump is surpassing) to pull a vacuum of 70mmHg. Maybe I should test my pump to see if it really is pumping water at it's quoted rate.

Magpie - 23-7-2014 at 11:08

Measure the flow rate during aspirator operation. Use the "mixed cup velocity" method. That's an engineering term for bucket and stopwatch. :D

aga - 23-7-2014 at 11:11

Personally i think deschem's stuff is pretty good.

Give the vacuum a go - at the prices they charge, it is almost disposable anyway.

My bet would be that it stands the vacuum no problem.

gdflp - 23-7-2014 at 11:35

Ok just tested it, flow rate of pump without an aspirator is 0.8gpm, with aspirator it is 0.7gpm. Looks like the pump was slightly misadvertised and I need to find a new pump, or get an adapter and hook it up to a sink. Only problem is I don't have a sink in my lab.:(

inertia - 30-7-2014 at 13:25

Followup on the vacuum issue:

I gave it a shot with my new vacuum. The pump pulls a very strong vacuum, and much to my surprise, deschem's glass held its own!

I mean, all of it. After my first success with my 1 L rbf, I moved on to my 3 neck, and then to full distillation apparatus, and soon I was building useless glass contraptions just to test their strength. I'm very impressed with the quality of deschem's stuff.

I've heard of deschem glass with bubbles in it, around the neck and such. None of my glass has any of that, and so I'd be a little more careful before pulling vacuum on anything like that.

arkoma - 30-7-2014 at 13:34

"Tim" from deschem BLEW ME AWAY when he warrantied, post-paid, a 500ml RBF with just an emailed picture as evidence. The Chinese are where "we" (Anglo-US) were 125 years ago as far as being economically "hungry"; seems like they are doing what it takes to get the business. kudos.

inertia - 30-7-2014 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
"Tim" from deschem BLEW ME AWAY when he warrantied, post-paid, a 500ml RBF with just an emailed picture as evidence. The Chinese are where "we" (Anglo-US) were 125 years ago as far as being economically "hungry"; seems like they are doing what it takes to get the business. kudos.

I can vouch for this! My first 1L rbf shattered on first use, and "Tim" shipped another one free with my next deschem order. Pretty crazy. You don't see that in the old US of A.

arkoma - 30-7-2014 at 14:46

ya USED to. no more.

Manifest - 31-7-2014 at 10:24

I bought the distillation kit too, broke the little adapter off the still head and they sent me a replacement also!
Would recommend.

mrTrifaziux - 19-8-2014 at 13:12

I bought Liebig condenser from them. Works to this day lol.
Also I bought 2 250ml RBF and some adapters from ben0315. Fast shipping, great condition. Sadly deschem doesn't send items to Lithuania anymore.

[Edited on 19-8-2014 by mrTrifaziux]

Templar - 23-8-2014 at 19:50

Chinese glassware is very good for the price.

Find a reputable ebay seller, and buy off them. You will not be disappointed.

Ground joints arent as smooth as on US made glassware, but you can't complain for that price.

violet sin - 27-8-2014 at 22:21

I just ordered the kit here from interlabglassware: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131156736530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

it's not Deschem, but the kit is comparable to his: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chemstry-Glassware-Kit-Laborator...

I had asked if they were the same seller because of inventory similarities, and got this response( I x'd out most my name ):

"Dear xxxxxxxx666,
I am sorry
We not the D SELLER
Our glassware are the really ASTM E438 Standard,
Not the low quality glassware
TKS
Jack"

it will be a little while before I can say one way or the other how this glassware performs. but I think it is nice to note their ebay description clearly says in big red lettering, "All of our glasswares have no any bubble and defect. If you find our glasswares have any bubble or defect,we will give you the refund or replacement. Free shipping"

and the final bonus... I showed how the difference in the 135$ kit and the 145$ kit was a 24/40 1000ml RBF, that normally went for 18$ when not in the set. 10$ payed on 18$ flask for a 44% discount, specifically on pieces in addition to at least the 135$ kit... he agreed, and I used that to logic to snag a few pieces my choice at great prices.

TheChemiKid - 28-8-2014 at 19:13

I recently bought a dean stark trap, a glass buchner funnel, and a replacement 500mL pressure equalizing addition funnel w/ a teflon stopcock for a good price. Very happy.

violet sin - 6-9-2014 at 13:14

been following the progress of my glassware on it's way to me... kinda funny, it flew into california @ LA and went into customs. then for some reason it was flown up to Eureka Ca, passing my home and going ~200 mi north of me.

it's quite a drive to Eureka from here, a least 3+ hrs the shortest way... which I found odd, because Sacramento is only 1:15 south of me by highway. I would have thought it would inch its way north to me, not overshoot quite a ways and come back. figured the most logical path was going to go to Sac, then driven up I5. like most my china based purchases have done.

also can't remember ever seeing ANY of my previous purchases going into customs... not really concerned as most the others were small batches of electronic parts or metallic elements on 100g scale. and this is at least a larger sized box with the 135$ O-chem distillation kit + 2 condensers, an extra still head, Claisen adapter and a 500ml 3 neck RB flask.

should arrive just in time to have missed me, heading back for work on the coast :( always next weekend I guess

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by violet sin]

NOV:5 - 6-9-2014 at 16:56

I've bought a good chunk of glass from deschem. Never had an issue, have pulled some of their gear to almost 29" from my system. Never noticed any bubbles in the glass. I've got some multi necked RB's, buncha 300mm condensers, and some other stuff..

Havta say my favorite right now is scilabsupplies

violet sin - 8-9-2014 at 11:15

my glassware flew into LA, 848 mi/ 7hr south of me,.. then went to Eureka, 189 mi/ 3hr 44min north of me,.. then to Sacramento, 101 mi/ 1hr 31min south of me,.. then up I5 and finally sorted in my town. should be here a little later this afternoon :D

violet sin - 10-9-2014 at 13:08

*sorry for the double post, if a moderator wants to merge my last comment and this one that is more than fine with me *

finally got time to inventory my glassware from Intelabglassware on ebay. as stated about deschem, I got bubbles in the more intricate glassware( 5 pieces ). kinda bummed about that, considering the big red "all of our glass have none any bubbles or defects" on each auction. but most of it was perfectly fine.
whole order, bad condenser >>
IMAG1038.jpg - 888kB grahm condenser.JPG - 223kB

neck-1, neck-3 >>
IMAG1027.jpg - 973kB IMAG1025.jpg - 932kB

currently in negotiations to have the 500ml RBF replaced, and the rest warrantied against breakage, because I am accepting them in poor condition. wanted at least an email I can forward to ebay if they waffle on it in the future. but we will see what they wanna do.

on the bright side, I now have ground glass for future experiments :D

nannah - 30-9-2014 at 00:08

Can someone recommend me to get a vacuum pump from the seller ben0315?
He also has cheap glassware but im not sure about the quality.

Thanks.

deschem - 15-7-2017 at 15:33

:):):)

JJay - 15-7-2017 at 22:31

It's deschem!

I bought a 1L jointed 24/40 sep/addition funnel from Deschem a while back, and it is actually superb quality... flawless, doesn't leak, excellent price, packed in a box that is good for permanent storage... actually, I think the last five or so items I purchased from Deschem have all been good quality....

BuzzKillerOfFire - 15-7-2017 at 23:42

I've had nothing but good experiences with deschem, he even made me a custom ebay listing for a misc bulk order. I've put some of my stuff under slight/moderate vacuum and it's held up fine. The sealing is good but not perfect, but is more than adequate when greased with sulfuric acid.

JJay - 16-7-2017 at 07:32

I've put deschem equipment under 5 mm Hg with no problems.

charley1957 - 16-7-2017 at 09:16

Almost all the glassware that can be subject to a vacuum that I have is from Deschem. So far I've not had any problems with any of it. I normally only use about 10" of vacuum, but I have used 28" on particularly rough filtrations, and so far it has all held up well.

tsathoggua1 - 16-7-2017 at 09:52

I've had, with two exceptions, both sep funnels that shattered, one of them with a bare touch of the stopcock, it more or less disintegrated.

But everything else, in fact quite probably most of my glass is from deschem. Not all of it, but certainly a lot. Have put it under vacuum (single stage rotary vane pump) and its held up just fine, even when I had to do that and heat the contents of a still (carefully) with a propane torch for a few hours to distill the contents.

AlChemicalLife - 17-7-2017 at 09:32

I just ordered from him , waiting to get my pretty glassware in the mail by the end of the month ! :)
I went with 24/29 because Im not a big fan on huge long joint sizes like 24/40 , if he sold a form of 14/20 I would have jumped on that as I like the smaller form glassware :)
~Steven

tsathoggua1 - 18-7-2017 at 12:19

How come you prefer the smaller form? I quite like the 24/40 size. although some of mine is in 24/29 generally thats been picked up when it was what was available, and they fit together if needs be.

BILLBUILDS - 20-7-2017 at 11:01

ive bought a ton off him and he gives me discounts now :) ive had a few breakages with 2L RBF but they were all replaced. ive also pulled a vacuum with a garden hose (a balance between water usage and vacuume)on quite high attached to a aspirator with no problems what so ever

AlChemicalLife - 21-7-2017 at 20:27

I got my glassware in and I'm happy with it, some of it doesn't fit together well but for the most part it is great , and he sent me a random brass boot keychain in the mail after that for some reason ... xD

JJay - 21-7-2017 at 22:37

I wish deschem would send me free stuff ;)

NZniceguy - 18-9-2017 at 05:16

What does he put on the customs declaration description of contents? I had another guy put "chemistry" on a condenser and customs broke it and sent police around. :(

JJay - 18-9-2017 at 06:42

Deschem declares stuff for what it is and usually puts the word "lab" on glassware. Generally, 24/40 items are labeled as "school" items.

UkAmateur - 19-9-2017 at 09:01

I'm just about ready to place an order through Ali express for glassware. Nothing too fancy. 500ml distillation set up. Aspirator. Buchner funnel/100Oml vacuum flask. And a hotplate/stirrer combo.. Mostly deschem stuff.

Anyways the only thing that's really worrying me is UK customs, are there any UK members who have ordered glassware etc from China who can set my mind at rest?

Its a bargain price, if I ordered it all from UK supply houses I'd be paying more than double but I'd sooner pay double than get the dreaded "knock"....(though UK suppliers might just as easily drop a dime on a citizen chemist as customs are likely to for ordering kit from China I guess..)

Just looking for some opinions regards ordering into the UK and the possible consequences...?

Sorry if that appears paranoid but the laws over here are pretty draconian for those without the relevant licences etc..

Thanks in advance

Reboot - 24-9-2017 at 14:51

I just got an order in from Deschem and the quality is excellent, much better than expected. Clean joints, well ground, no apparent bubbles. The only obvious difference from my old gear (lovingly hand-made by old-world craftsmen in the US about forty years ago) is that the larger drip tips on some of the adapters have been somewhat crudely ground off instead of flame polished. It doesn't look as nice, but I guess it doesn't really make a functional difference. Considering the Deschem stuff cost about 1/4th what my older kit did, I can't complain. :-)

The order came extremely well packaged (customs would have had to be very bored indeed to bother prying the mass of foam and tape apart.) No problems with customs here in the US, but they don't seem to care about a little lab gear in most states.

All in all, very pleased; I'll definitely be buying more stuff from them.