Sciencemadness Discussion Board

"Random" Post Option

SirViking - 9-7-2014 at 13:54

Is there a possibility of creating a "random post" button that would link us to a random thread on the site? Being relatively new here, I love just going through random threads and reading everything, learning new things. I have come upon new processes or tidbits of advice often enough that I would use the "random post" button quite often, but I'm unsure if that is just me.

Texium - 9-7-2014 at 14:00

That's a great idea, and from my very limited knowledge of the way that websites work, it doesn't seem like something that would be too difficult to implement.
I would also use that feature a lot, as I have not been on the forum very long either, and have only scratched the surface of everything that exists here. Well, ok, I've been here for 6 months, plus lurking for another 4 or 5 before that, but still, there's a whole lot of stuff on this site!

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by zts16]

SirViking - 9-7-2014 at 14:03

I realize now that I probably should have posted this topic in the "Forum Matters" section. My apologies.

Metacelsus - 10-7-2014 at 06:53

If you want to go to a random thread, just pick a random thread ID number.

SirViking - 10-7-2014 at 07:02

Not every 5 digit combination links to a thread that exists. I just tried 8 different numbers below 31500 and none existed. A "random" button would be much more efficient and simple. Something similar to the Random Page link on the Sciencemadness Wiki.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by SirViking]