Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Mystery Glassware Identification Thread

Pages:  1  2    4

monolithic - 13-10-2020 at 12:23

Has anyone ever come across a 24/40 thermometer adapter with o-ring that can fit a 10 mm probe? It seems most 24/40 max out at around 5-7 mm. I found this https://www.wilmad-labglass.com/Products/LG-1451-306/ but $50 is a bit steep.

[Edited on 10-13-2020 by monolithic]

itsallgoodjames - 14-10-2020 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
Has anyone ever come across a 24/40 thermometer adapter with o-ring that can fit a 10 mm probe? It seems most 24/40 max out at around 5-7 mm. I found this https://www.wilmad-labglass.com/Products/LG-1451-306/ but $50 is a bit steep.

I have a distillation adaptor that has space for a 10mm thermometer. I bought it from deschem. One of those with a stopper where the condenser might work, depending on what you're doing. I'll get the link to it if you want

monolithic - 14-10-2020 at 14:05

Quote: Originally posted by itsallgoodjames  

I have a distillation adaptor that has space for a 10mm thermometer. I bought it from deschem. One of those with a stopper where the condenser might work, depending on what you're doing. I'll get the link to it if you want

If it's not too much trouble can you find the link? I have a deschem 24/40 thermometer adapter but it maxes out at around 7.40 mm.

Dr.Bob - 15-10-2020 at 17:16

I have at least two types of 24/40 adapters which should work with 10 mm tubes or trherms. I would sell them for $15. One is an Ace brand therm adapter but with a 10 mm #11 inlet adapter, the other is an all PTFE one with a red GL type 10 mm adapter on top. Let me know if you are interested, postage would be about $3-4 in the US.

itsallgoodjames - 20-10-2020 at 03:12

If it's not too much trouble can you find the link? I have a deschem 24/40 thermometer adapter but it maxes out at around 7.40 mm.

The listing I bought it from seems to now be down (not surprising given I bought it over a year ago), I'll see if its been listed again under a different link

itsallgoodjames - 20-10-2020 at 03:22

The listing I bought it from seems to now be down (not surprising given I bought it over a year ago), I'll see if its been listed again under a different link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231059351282

This looks like it *might* be it, it looks the same and is from the same seller, but it is a different listing, so it might not be. It does look pretty much identical to the listing I bought it from though.

Dr.Bob - 20-10-2020 at 07:55

Most thermometer adapters are designed to handle 5-6 mm and that is about it, the hole might be 7mm, but that would be hard to seal well. Ace sells many adapters for various diameters, including one for 10-11 mm, which is also the diam of most glass stir shafts (not counting the cheap ones from China).

Clear_horizons_glass - 26-11-2020 at 00:35

Hey, yall.
Is this a chromatography column with hooks on top for some reason, or is this some kind of vacuum adapter or filtration adapter?

[Edited on 26-11-2020 by Clear_horizons_glass]

Clear_horizons_glass - 26-11-2020 at 00:45

Also, what would you call this?
Adapter?

ArbuzToWoda - 26-11-2020 at 01:01

Some call it "koń" where I live, so a horse. But I doubt that applies to other countries!

Fyndium - 26-11-2020 at 08:11

Ground joint valve adapter? That's what chinese would write when listing it on ebay.

Dr.Bob - 26-11-2020 at 11:18

I would guess that it is a way to hold down a gas inlet (often an inlet with a variable stopcock release to control the pressure on the flash column.) so it does not blow off under pressure. But you rarely see them on a column with a vacuum adapter, as you normally use only pressure or vacuum. Might be meant to allow some sort of liquid feed adapter to be held to the top while vacuum is applied. Not sure of any specific name.

yobbo II - 3-12-2020 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  
Hi,
What is this item. It simply looks like a stopper with a handle. There is no access to the inside of the stopper and 'handle'.

This was posted 6 - 11- 19 my myself btw

Yob

I see a similar item on ebay.
Called 2 x QUICKFIT B24/29 "SHONIGEER" STOPPERS , HOLLOW BLOWN {CHEMISTRY} BRITAIN

2 x QUICKFIT B24/29 "SHONIGEER" STOPPERS, (ALSO USED IN IODINE FLASKS) HOLLOW BLOWN {CHEMISTRY} MADE IN BRITAIN

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-QUICKFIT-B24-29-SHONIGEER-STO...

YOB

[Edited on 4-12-2020 by yobbo II]

SuperOxide - 20-12-2020 at 07:20

Anyone know what this thingy is?

It looks like it's maybe a bubbler (or scrubber) with a suck back trap all in one piece of glassware? Perhaps you just put the liquid in the right part which can act as a bubbler or even scrubber, and if the reaction causes some negative pressure (suck back), the liquid would go into the part on the left as opposed to into the reaction vessel, then when the reaction starts generating pressure again, the liquid in the left part will get pushed back into the right part, maybe? What do you think?

P.S. I found that photo while scrolling through this amazing chemistry photo portfolio, which I found in someones signature here on SM. If any of you haven't seen that page (or the homepage of the same site), I definitely recommend spending some time scrolling through it. I had no idea chemistry could be so insanely gorgeous.

[Edited on 20-12-2020 by SuperOxide]

electrokinetic - 4-1-2021 at 17:10

These pieces and others like it were donated to my classroom. I've never seen glassware that connects together this way, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what this connection style is called so I can research it.

IMG_2294.JPG - 1.7MB IMG_2293.JPG - 2.1MB IMG_2290.JPG - 1.8MB

[Edited on 5-1-2021 by electrokinetic]

pneumatician - 22-1-2021 at 15:08

WTF is this?

uses??

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Industrie-Hochleistungs-Kolonne-Full...

Chemetix - 23-1-2021 at 13:58

Part of a short path distillation apparatus. A Kugelrohr.

https://www.jkem.com/product/kugelrohr-short-path-distillati...

unionised - 7-3-2021 at 05:26

I was surfing eBay and came across this. The description is "Distillation apparatus reflux Quickfit CB11ND4X"
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distillation-apparatus-reflux-Qui...

Glass thing.JPG - 54kB

Any suggestions?

Sulaiman - 7-3-2021 at 05:46

I don't know what it is but I want one!

I think that it is a part of this apparatus https://youtu.be/fMwFxUQx1PI

unionised - 7-3-2021 at 08:35

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

Well there are two on ebay...

The last time I saw anything like it the caption said "The glassblower had hiccups".

[Edited on 7-3-21 by unionised]

vano - 3-7-2021 at 23:46

What is this?

received_113126587500049.jpeg - 204kB

SWIM - 4-7-2021 at 02:28

Well I'd buy one as long as it makes that sound.

Besides, it might come in handy for the co-polymerization of amino-acid residues and carbohydrate molecules, both containing ionic groups.:D

It should be perfectly simple if I can gt the heavy hydrogen, and maybe a bit of radioactive thorium.

[Edited on 4-7-2021 by SWIM]

Congressman-Estes-Kefauver-1948.jpg - 65kB

[Edited on 4-7-2021 by SWIM]

Dr.Bob - 8-7-2021 at 16:49

Electokinetic,

They appear to be reservoirs for chromatography columns to me. You can screw them to the top of a colum to hold solvent, then either use gravity or air pressure to move the solvent through the column.

Konduktor - 13-7-2021 at 13:09

Hi there,
Came across this strange piece when looking for glassware on my local auction site. Could anyone identify this mysterious part?

Cheers!

Crucible with a perforated base

barbs09 - 25-8-2021 at 01:43

I have a small ceramic crucible with a perforated base. Maybe it is designed to heat/react something until a molten phase can exit the base? Ant thoughts? Thanks AB

20210810_205629.jpg - 3MB 20210810_205635.jpg - 3.3MB

S.C. Wack - 25-8-2021 at 13:46

It's a Gooch crucible, and as with cheap Buchners, the Coors version has smaller, nicer holes.

Mateo_swe - 17-9-2021 at 07:00

Konduktor,

I guess those glass tubes could be older drying tubes, to be filled with drying media and dry air or gas or protecting a reaction from moisture.
Or maybe some small chromatography columns for separating compounds with silica.

Somebody else know what Konduktor´s tubes could be?

mayko - 20-9-2021 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

Well I'd buy one as long as it makes that sound.

wait till you you hear it in active operation :o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1R8Rx2db9c

We have a couple of pieces like this at work, where there is a sort of drain at the bottom of the container (a barbed hose adaptor for the erlenmeyer flask; a ground glass taper on the other bottle). Not sure, maybe they're tissue culture equipment?

what_is_this_glassware2.jpg - 139kB

Picked this up at the really free market, rather baffled. a decanter that you can add ice to without watering down your wine? A decoration? what???

what_is_this_glassware.jpg - 96kB

Dr.Bob - 23-9-2021 at 18:35

I have seen the flasks with two inlet/outlets used as vacuum traps for aspirators, you hook the bottom one to the aspirator, and then the top one to the vacuum line to your experiment, then if water gets in the trap, it is sucked out later and does not get into the lines. But I am sure thet can be used for other uses as well.

Fery - 10-10-2021 at 09:20

Hi guys, I've bought a bulk of glass and one piece which I saw only on a picture mixed with other glass together looked like a condenser, but when I received it and was able to saw it finally it looked like an apparatus for a gas reaction. But the one part is filled with long glass tubes so when thinking further I had an idea that gasses mix well and these tubes are there probably for some liquid so maybe the apparatus is for performing liquid-gas reaction and the tubes just increase the surface of the reaction?
Do you have any suggestion for any reaction which I could perform in the apparatus? I have never did any gas-gas reaction (burning gases in air does not count) and only few times gas-liquid reaction (like addition of hydrogen chloride gas to alfa pinene and absorption of ammonia gas in ethanol using a washing bottle with a sinter on the end of bubbling tube to make smaller bubbles and increase the reaction surface).
Or is it for a gas-gas reaction which produces some liquid?
If feeding the gas through the stopcock I assume the apparatus is positioned like shown in the attached pictures, when feeding through the open joint I assume using some PTFE stopper with a hole through which a gas is fed into the apparatus and the position of the apparatus has to be swapped upside-down?
There are also 2 choices how to feed the gas, under pressure (I suppose) or using sucking through the second opening (less probable)?

IMG_20211010_183908_9_sm.jpg - 32kB IMG_20211010_183925_3_sm.jpg - 29kB

Ormarion - 11-11-2021 at 12:28

Hello everyone i hope you are doing great, a friend of me recently found this nice piece of glassware in a old lab, look like some sort of weird extractor, any idea what it is?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VbGKoDBDIp6ImDMw-7mx...

you can see the pics there

There is also a weird metal vessel linked

DraconicAcid - 19-11-2021 at 11:06

This has been hanging around our lab for a while, and my colleague asked me what it was for. I suddenly realized that I didn't actually know.

glassware1.jpg - 1.1MB

ETA: The graduations are not total volume- at the bottom, they start at 1.

[Edited on 19-11-2021 by DraconicAcid]

SWIM - 19-11-2021 at 12:06

It's a Babcock bottle.
https://wi101.wisc.edu/2013/12/01/how-does-a-babcock-tester-...

The bulb in the middle threw me off at first as I'd never seen one like that.

For determining cream content I think, but I freely admit I'm too lazy to read the article I linked and am relying on memory.

Edit: So after posting I did read the article.
Looks like you need a centrifuge for those bottles.

Edit: @Mayko: I suspect the third picture may be an oil and vinegar bottle. (A cruet set?)
These come in many different forms, all having one bottle inside the other but differing shapes.
They turn up on Ebay in the labware section now and then.

A dangerous situation since they're probably not suitable for lab use.

Edit: Yup:

[Edited on 19-11-2021 by SWIM]

labcruet.jpg - 3kB

babcockwhirler.jpg - 329kB

DraconicAcid - 19-11-2021 at 12:27

It's a Babcock bottle.
https://wi101.wisc.edu/2013/12/01/how-does-a-babcock-tester-...

The bulb in the middle threw me off at first as I'd never seen one like that.

Thanks!

CarlSagans_RayGuns - 19-11-2021 at 12:33

This is my favorite thread :)

charley1957 - 28-12-2021 at 15:36

Fery, that is a part of a gas analysis box, a portable thing that was carried around from gas well to gas well, or from plant to plant to analyze natural gas for different components such as H2S, CO2, some were configured as flue gas analyzers, etc. The ones I’ve seen were made by Burrell, and you can find pictures of them online. I used to have one of those pieces you show, but I broke it trying to clean it up. I’ve got some other pieces from a Burrell analyzer, one called a bubbler. It has a little ground glass ball check valve built into it. Kinda cool, but can’t think of any other use for it.

Fery - 28-12-2021 at 23:21

charley1957 thank you very much !!!

kweiny - 31-3-2022 at 15:04

So I have this second-hand store in my city which basically gets free material that is not used anymore (by companies for example) and then resells it for pretty cheap. To my surprise they also have quite a big area dedicated to lab-equipment, mainly glassware.
I recently went there and picked up this interesting piece of ground joint glassware and would like to know what it is used for (if anyone here knows).

I am going to try to explain how it's built as best as I can.
So there is 2 Hose adapters. The upper one is leading to the upper chamber which is connected with the middle chamber via a glass tube thats open on the bottom. Under the middle chamber there is a solid glass plate so no connection to the lower chamber (where the ground joint is). But then at the same time the upper chamber is connected to the lower chamber via this glass tube at the outside.

I am really confused since I could not imagine a single possible use for it. Thanks for any help in advance :D

Weird glassware.png - 7.4MB

"Continuous flow separator addition funnel drain reactor USA custom airlfree USA"

SuperOxide - 17-4-2022 at 09:38

Anyone have any idea what this thing is actually used for?

The description makes it clear that the seller isn't entirely sure what it's used for either.
Quote:
Custom lab glassware- Not sure if this is a airfree reactor or a continuous separator, but made in USA by SLA (Southeastern Laboratory Apparatus). about 16-inches long with top, top has two ports one with stopcock. Top is removable has ground glass joint approx 60/50, No cracks, no chips ,very good condition. Also has 4 dimples for suspending a screen or packing? or maybe to break up flow? Side port points downward toward stopcock and has a dome over it. assume this is for collecting and holding a lighter fraction liquid or gas to be drawn off.

If I had to guess, I would say maybe it's meant to allow you to bubble gas through a solution from the bottom port, but catch the unreacted gas from the inverted funnel to allow you to recirculate it to optimize the gas absorption - But that doesn't explain what the little indentations above the funnel are for (maybe to hold something in place above the reaction?) or what the stopcock on the top is used for.

Edit: I actually meant to post this in the Mystery Glassware Identification Thread thread. I was drafting it on here, then remembered about that thread and copy/pasted the content into there... But apparently I got distracted and hit submit on the wrong tab >_< Sorry.

[Edited on 17-4-2022 by SuperOxide]

SWIM - 17-4-2022 at 20:49

Placerminer is a good guy and often has great deals, but he's often shaky on just what the stuff he's selling is for.

I suspect the gas, if it is a gas bubbler, goes in the side port as this ensures lots of gas to liquid interface.

I think he's got a point about those dimples though. They do look like they would be to suspend a Soxhlet thimble or other filter in there.

I don't really know, but wanted to put in a good word for the seller, who sent me many good things over the years for fair to excellent prices.

CrudeBasementChemistry - 19-4-2022 at 05:53

Does somebody know what the upper part of this beautiful piece of glassware look like? It should be a part of a column head, probably one that has a magnet controlled reflux or something like that. It's made by the former German glassware manufacture "Normschliff Gerätebau Wertheim". I would love to have the counterpart, maybe someone can help me with that?

IMG_3074.jpg - 4.2MB IMG_3075.jpg - 3.5MB

SWIM - 3-5-2022 at 15:31

Quote: Originally posted by kweiny  
So I have this second-hand store in my city which basically gets free material that is not used anymore (by companies for example) and then resells it for pretty cheap. To my surprise they also have quite a big area dedicated to lab-equipment, mainly glassware.
I recently went there and picked up this interesting piece of ground joint glassware and would like to know what it is used for (if anyone here knows).

I am going to try to explain how it's built as best as I can.
So there is 2 Hose adapters. The upper one is leading to the upper chamber which is connected with the middle chamber via a glass tube thats open on the bottom. Under the middle chamber there is a solid glass plate so no connection to the lower chamber (where the ground joint is). But then at the same time the upper chamber is connected to the lower chamber via this glass tube at the outside.

I am really confused since I could not imagine a single possible use for it. Thanks for any help in advance :D

It looks like it might function to maintain an inert atmosphere at just slightly above atmospheric pressure in a reaction flask.

(Based on an appearance of similarity of function to an inert gas bubbler linked to in a recent thread about LAH reductions By Cooper_Panda.)

This is a guess.

kweiny - 4-5-2022 at 02:15

It looks like it might function to maintain an inert atmosphere at just slightly above atmospheric pressure in a reaction flask.

Hi! First of all thanks, that's what I thought too but I couldn't explain how exactly it works.
Do you think the middle chamber (with the glass rod) is filled with oil and then acts like a bubbler, venting the excess inert gas to the atmosphere, while the upper hose connector is used as a second inert gas inlet?

I may be going a little offtopic, but some time ago I read that some systems use 2 inert gas inlets but I don't understand why. Could you elaborate?

Cheers

SWIM - 4-5-2022 at 18:49

I think you are right about how this works, but I have no experience with this kind of equipment and I am not sure I am right.

But it does look like inert gas pumped in at the top fitting could pressurize the flask to just enough pressure to let the excess gas out through the bubbler.
And yes, I am assuming the lower chamber would have oil in it and act as a bubbler.

So the pressure would be equal to that necessary to force the gas out through the bubbler and no more.

I have no personal experience working with inert gas systems like this so I'm afraid I can't be of much help as to how they are used.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Chem Science - 20-7-2022 at 10:47

A friend ask me what is these ... i have no idea xP

292716994_2964543650511813_7989384697001366440_n.jpg - 17kB 292790837_522318706312731_784594536800410562_n.jpg - 16kB 293109709_599943884840260_9114725930774734956_n.jpg - 22kB 292793213_451600373181483_2028738504325966277_n.jpg - 17kB 293134146_3195692704007020_7477937703750432830_n.jpg - 21kB 293143346_608591740570305_8480552252648630291_n.jpg - 21kB 293476532_1226605711431546_1516183539659833192_n.jpg - 19kB

VeritasC&E - 4-8-2022 at 14:14

I can't figure out what this is: A sort of distillate separation stage for higher boiling fraction?

CABEC42B-B0DB-48E5-8FC4-06595E2D6EC5.jpeg - 586kB

VeritasC&E - 4-8-2022 at 14:22

Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  
A friend ask me what is these ... i have no idea xP

It's hard to see on the picture, but where does the small coil go to? And does the big tube really just go straight up?

It almost looks like it's not even meant for chemistry and a part of it is just decorative while the other part sends steam up to the small glass holder (as using steam as a carrier to disperse molecules from what's in the holder, such as aromatic plants, into the local atmosphere).

Ok, my imagination is going a bit far. Probably one of the many many pieces of glassware I know nothing about...

VeritasC&E - 4-8-2022 at 14:30

Quote: Originally posted by electrokinetic  
I recently received a rather large treasure trove of glassware from a friend who is a chem professor. Incredibly, he found all of it in or by the dumpster when he was leaving work!!!

This piece is stuck to the top of a Vigreux column. My friend had no idea what it was other than the obvious: it was part of a distillation setup. I have searched google, and posted it on another forum. Someone finally suggested that it is probably a distillation splash head, and I think he's probably right, but I thought I'd post it here and see what the community here says. After all, as the someone also pointed out, if it is a splash head it would be pretty pointless at the top of a fractionating column.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by zts16]

Yes and no. It may be very useful up there for when initially tweaking your reflux ratio (sort of allows you to warm up the column very fast without getting a bunch of lower BP fractions in your receiver because the column isn't in proper equilibrium yet: once stuff shoots out up there you turn things a bit down to let the column equilibrate and all the lower BP stuff from what shot out from the top just goes back into the column to slowly get back down to the still).

VeritasC&E - 7-8-2022 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by VeritasC&E  

I can't figure out what this is: A sort of distillate separation stage for higher boiling fraction?

Or could it be a sort of splash-head?

Whatever it is, it looks completely incomprehensible to me. Let alone it being so big.

[Edited on 7-8-2022 by VeritasC&E]

Linus1208 - 30-10-2022 at 04:55

Among lots of other, common pieces of used glassware from former GDR labs, I found these interesting things on a flea market stall.
The salesman had no clue what they were either.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-30 at 12.43.26.jpeg - 307kBWhatsApp Image 2022-10-30 at 12.43.45.jpeg - 273kBWhatsApp Image 2022-10-30 at 12.44.19.jpeg - 413kB

j_sum1 - 30-10-2022 at 15:07

That last one is particularly weird. Some kind of jacketed reaction vessel. But I can't imagine what the connections are. The orientation of the ground joints seems strange. Maybe rotate 90° to the left. Powder input on the side and then stoppered. Addition of liquid and temperature measurement via the ground joints. Excess solvent or liquid product drains through stopcock. But these are just guesses.

First one looks like a gas drying tube. Bubble chlorine etc through H2SO4. Setup allows for system to be drained without disassembly. But I am not sure what the spherical bulb is for.

Middle one is a kind of jacketed beaker. But the wide ground glass opening is a bit interesting. Maybe just a lid. Maybe designed to work with another equally strange piece of glassware.

Rainwater - 25-11-2022 at 06:25

Visited an estate sale this morning. Seen this broken item

It looks like a plate still, with 1 ground glass joint at the base and an open top
Bottom plate has a glass mesh, middle and top plates are bubblers.
Not sure if its just a gas scrubber or if they went all out making a bong
20221125_083452.jpg - 1.8MB 20221125_083520.jpg - 1.7MB 20221125_083556.jpg - 2.3MB

20221125_092143.jpg - 2.1MB

pneumatician - 19-12-2022 at 19:31

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
I was surfing eBay and came across this. The description is "Distillation apparatus reflux Quickfit CB11ND4X"
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distillation-apparatus-reflux-Qui...

Any suggestions?

A Hell to clean it!

Texium - 19-12-2022 at 20:36

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  
Not sure if its just a gas scrubber or if they went all out making a bong
I do believe you bought yourself a very dirty bong!

Raid - 13-2-2023 at 08:04

100% bong

Very odd piece

esquizete_electrolysis - 18-2-2023 at 19:21

Don’t know exactly what this is. I got it in a lot for a Soxhlet extractor. It looks like a mixing cylinder but it has a make joint.

B0AE4514-FF06-405E-94A0-EE7C0B419DDD.jpeg - 1.6MBB0AE4514-FF06-405E-94A0-EE7C0B419DDD.jpeg - 1.6MB

Dr.Bob - 18-2-2023 at 19:28

That is the bottom of a gas washing tube. The tops get broken easily, and have a fritted tube (and an outlet tube) on a female jointed top. You would fill the part shown with some liquid or solid to wash the gas in.

Raid - 21-2-2023 at 11:15

did the gas inlet and outlet come with it?

arkoma - 21-2-2023 at 16:56

Here is a similar gas washing bottle base:

eBay link

*edit*

The male joint kind of threw me a bit too.

[Edited on 2-22-2023 by arkoma]

DocX - 24-4-2023 at 02:03

Don't know what it's intended to be, but I would sure use it as a drying tube.

Quote: Originally posted by Konduktor  
Hi there,
Came across this strange piece when looking for glassware on my local auction site. Could anyone identify this mysterious part?

Cheers!

Rainwater - 27-4-2023 at 00:22

Is this a Kjeldahl bulb or a Chromotography Reservoir? Or both

20352469.jpg - 51kB

Sulaiman - 27-4-2023 at 04:45

It is a bump trap, (old design, before rotovaps became commonplace)
Normally fitted above a boiling pot to prevent splashes caused by bumping from reaching the condenser.

Ormarion - 3-9-2023 at 13:37

Recently got this extremely weird piece of glassware for wich i have no idea of its use, i believe the coil would be to make the volume of liquid in it larger or something but i cant find much else

Any idea?

1.jpg - 1.4MB 2.jpg - 1.3MB

B(a)P - 3-9-2023 at 14:10

Quote: Originally posted by Ormarion  
Recently got this extremely weird piece of glassware for wich i have no idea of its use, i believe the coil would be to make the volume of liquid in it larger or something but i cant find much else

Any idea?

Very interesting looking piece of kit! Could it be used for the separation of aqueous and non-aqueous liquids?

Sulaiman - 3-9-2023 at 19:46

Looks like someone's brilliant idea
that didn't actually work.

OR maybe just a lamp work test/practice piece?

Parakeet - 2-11-2023 at 05:57

Found this piece of glassware in a garbage area in my school. Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_3617.JPG - 5.4MB

Rainwater - 2-11-2023 at 09:30

That goes into the top of a kipps apparatus...

Fery - 2-11-2023 at 19:17

Also could be used as a fermentation tube.
https://sklep-chemland.pl/en/lejek-fermentacyjny.html

yobbo II - 1-12-2023 at 17:01

It's not glassware but I hope that is OK.

What is the extra stuff on this vacuum pump?

on ebay here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145441349355?chn=ps&norover=1...

s-l16000.jpg - 157kB

Cathoderay - 2-12-2023 at 08:02

My guess is that the small gray cylinder near the pump input is a vacuum switch. When the vacuum gets down to a low enough value it switches on the assembly on the left end.
The assembly on the left end with the fins is probably a diffusion pump, a very small one.
The diffusion pump is air cooled. On top of the diffusion pump is maybe a butterfly valve that is controlled by the lever with the black ball handle. I think there is some sort of plug or reducer on the diffusion pump inlet.

[Edited on 12/2/2023 by Cathoderay]

yobbo II - 16-12-2023 at 18:31

Thanks for reply.
I though the piece with the air heat sink might be a diffusion pump but though it was too small!
The electrical boxes say forevac. and highvac so you are correct.

Yob

Pages:  1  2    4