Sciencemadness Discussion Board

From where are you?

Pages:  1  

thalium - 8-1-2005 at 13:47

From where are you? Specify the country too. I'm from Romania, Europe.

HNO3 - 8-1-2005 at 13:51

Midwestern USA.

Arg!

Joeychemist - 8-1-2005 at 13:53

You forgot Canada, What are we, shit to you?:mad:

And if you're going to start a poll or survey, try to include an other option for people to choose and ask them to specify.

But not that it matters,:D if people want to say where they are from they write it in there profile so it shows up next to their posts.:P I wonder how many will reply to this thread?

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Joeychemist]

thalium - 8-1-2005 at 13:55

You're not shit, but I considered it as part of the American continent

I see

Joeychemist - 8-1-2005 at 14:02

Ahh, I see where you coming from now, you were trying to go by the seven Continents. Just to clear things up it's North America and you forgot south America:o

Thomas Winwood - 8-1-2005 at 15:23

Quote:
Originally posted by thalium
You're not shit, but I considered it as part of the American continent

Includes North and South.

Anyway... Good ol' Blighty.

EDIT: WTF? XMB sucks.

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Thomas Winwood]

WRONG!

Joeychemist - 8-1-2005 at 15:43

Actually they are two different land masses all together. They both sit on different tectonic plates and I assure you they are *NOT* the same.
http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html

The_Davster - 8-1-2005 at 18:32

* Waits for "which tectonic plate are you on?" thread*

:P

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by rogue chemist]

MadHatter - 8-1-2005 at 18:56

Maryland, U.S.A.

JohnWW - 8-1-2005 at 19:07

I'm from New Zealand

cyclonite4 - 9-1-2005 at 04:33

Good 'ol Western Australia

Theoretic - 10-1-2005 at 06:27

London, da mighty metropolis of dA UK! :D
I only lived here for a few years, I still might go back to where I originally lived, Kiev in Ukraine. ;)

Taaie-Neuskoek - 10-1-2005 at 10:00

I am native Dutch, but will soon migrate for a few month to the backyard of England, Wales.

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by Taaie-Neuskoek]

Dodoman - 10-1-2005 at 10:29

I'm from Egypt.

chemoleo - 10-1-2005 at 10:48

Taaie-Neuskoek, if you ever say this to a Welshman in a pub ('migrate for a few month to the backyard of England, Wales.' ) , make sure you bring some big friends with you, otherwise you won't survive the ensuing fight! I once learned this myself the hard way for unknowingly offending a Welsh man.

So for me it's native German, but have been in England for many many years now :)

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by chemoleo]

vulture - 10-1-2005 at 11:55

I'm from, well,...are you people dense or what?

A nest ofcourse! Everyone knows birds come from nests! Sjeesh!

thalium - 10-1-2005 at 12:05

Like this?;)

vulture.bmp - 176kB

vulture - 10-1-2005 at 13:19

Yes, only mine has central heating and a lab.

Taaie-Neuskoek - 11-1-2005 at 00:56

Quote:

Taaie-Neuskoek, if you ever say this to a Welshman in a pub ('migrate for a few month to the backyard of England, Wales.' ) , make sure you bring some big friends with you, otherwise you won't survive the ensuing fight! I once learned this myself the hard way for unknowingly offending a Welsh man.

Thanks for the warning, although I said this as compliment... Telling a Welshmen that you like it here, in England is also a good way to end knock out I've heard.

Chemoleo, what did you tell the Welshman? (if you can remember it...)

[Edited on 11-1-2005 by Taaie-Neuskoek]

Saerynide - 11-1-2005 at 01:44

Do male vultures live in nests?

Oxydro - 11-1-2005 at 08:48

Saerynide: Only the stunted ones who can't make it over the sides of the nest :D...

Talking of, what particular species of vulture, Vulture? Turkey, Hooded, etc? :)

And do you keep a Secretary bird for the paperwork? (another kind of scavenger)

Back to topic:
I'm from Monteal, lived in Cape Breton for a while, and now I'm Antigonish, home of Canada's best university, St. Francis Xavier.

Sergei_Eisenstein - 12-1-2005 at 03:27

I'm from Bella Italia, near Bolzano :cool:

vulture - 12-1-2005 at 06:32

Quote:

I'm from Bella Italia, near Bolzano

Interesting. I mostly spend my summer holidays in the vicinity of Merano...Nice scenery.

I'm from Belgium duh. Not native Belgian though.

Thomas Winwood - 12-1-2005 at 07:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Joeychemist
Actually they are two different land masses all together. They both sit on different tectonic plates and I assure you they are *NOT* the same.
http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html

Maybe so, but you can walk effortlessly from one to the other (civil wars notwithstanding), thus for the time being they're part of the same continent. Like Europe - that's on two tectonic plates (rift runs across the Mediterranean), but it's one continent.

Oxydro - 12-1-2005 at 08:54

Nobody refers to it as a single continent. Thus America now refers only to the USA.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Winwood

Maybe so, but you can walk effortlessly from one to the other (civil wars notwithstanding), thus for the time being they're part of the same continent. Like Europe - that's on two tectonic plates (rift runs across the Mediterranean), but it's one continent.

Think Europe and Asia. Are they one continent? For that matter, Africa too. And don't talk to me about the Suez canal dividing Africa and Asia, or I'll tell you about the Panama canal ;)

$0meb0dy - 12-1-2005 at 10:14

Europe-The Netherlands.

HRH_Prince_Charles - 12-1-2005 at 11:12

London, although I come from German stock.

NERV - 12-1-2005 at 19:08

God almighty boring North eastern USA....

Nerro - 13-1-2005 at 11:51

Quote:
I'm from Bella Italia, near Bolzano
Our local pizzaria is called Bolzano :P

I'm From the Netherlands. Mom's 100% Dutch my dad's half Austrian and a quarter German.

sparkgap - 28-4-2005 at 05:16

I'm sort of nomadic. :D The way I wander, I can be in one country one week and another the next. (part of my work; now my circadian rhythms are irreversibly screwed.)

My origins... let's just say my homeland is somewhere in the vicinity of the Ring of Fire. ;)

sparky (^_^)

12AX7 - 28-4-2005 at 08:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Oxydro
Nobody refers to it as a single continent. Thus America now refers only to the USA.

I don't get it; where are all the people bitching about "Australia" = "Australasian continent"? :D (IIRC. Includes all those islands inbetween.)

Tim

solo - 28-4-2005 at 09:30

I'm from the continent of America .....The Mexican Republic and no America is not synonymous with the USA, but then with the agressiveness of the USA, they claim the America as theirs........of course we as Latin Americans only laugh....solo

Note: Yes Latin America has been invaded economically so we just return the favor with our numbers.........

[Edited on 29-4-2005 by solo]

12AX7 - 28-4-2005 at 11:30

Yeah, but you Latins also laugh because you're invading our country... :o / :( / :P / ;) (whichever emoticon you feel about it..)

Tim

Twospoons - 28-4-2005 at 15:41

New Zealand. Which is not Australia.
In fact, I'm about 20km north of Weather Top, for you LOTR fans.

Mr. Wizard - 28-4-2005 at 17:38

I live in the sunny South West of the US.

Blind Angel - 28-4-2005 at 18:18

Canada, Québec.
Where the end of the Canada will start after the Gomery Comission according to Gagliano. So nice that we finally have a something Gate around here :D
Getting too political, leaving.

Nice to see that we are so diversified, we should declare ourself an independant country.

Esplosivo - 28-4-2005 at 21:07

Malta, Europe - the land of sea and sun (yep, helping the tourist industry :P)

Small country/archipelago... (Hope someone knows about it :P)

a_bab - 28-4-2005 at 22:06

Malta. Best fireworks in the world. Is that enough?

I may go there this summer. Can you arrange me with a place to sleep?:D

[Edited on 29-4-2005 by a_bab]

uber luminal - 28-4-2005 at 22:38

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Yeah, but you Latins also laugh because you're invading our country...Tim

Is there something wrong with that?

-- the Great Midwest US

Esplosivo - 28-4-2005 at 22:47

Quote:
Originally posted by a_bab
Malta. Best fireworks in the world. Is that enough?

I may go there this summer. Can you arrange me with a place to sleep?:D

Very small house sorry :P We do have some nice fireworks, and some very nice historical sites too (although sometimes not well kept, damned corruption). I live in the centre of Malta, the three villages Lija, Balzan, Attard (especially Lija) are famous for some beautiful fireworks during village feasts.

Mahlzahn - 29-4-2005 at 06:15

Europe,

large city, 7 km far of the city centre.

What`s the Small country/archipelago... (Hope someone knows about it ),
explosivo ?

On top of fireworks ? :(

Sergei_Eisenstein - 29-4-2005 at 08:38

Quote:
Originally posted by solo
I'm from the continent of America .....The Mexican Republic and no America is not synonymous with the USA, but then with the agressiveness of the USA, they claim the America as theirs........of course we as Latin Americans only laugh....solo

Note: Yes Latin America has been invaded economically so we just return the favor with our numbers.........

I was actually confronted with this "terminology" when talking with somebody from Argentina. We were with a group of people, discussing I-don't-remember-exactly-what, but one girl said "America" while she only had the USA in mind. He immediately but politely intervened that he too was American, that everybody on the continent was American, and they were all proud to be Americans. And they have nothing to do with the US. I remember very well, because for several minutes afterwards, he was talking to himself he too was American, lifting up his finger as he needed to indicate where he was sitting :) But nobody was noticing anymore though.

Quote:
Very small house sorry :P We do have some nice fireworks, and some very nice historical sites too (although sometimes not well kept, damned corruption). I live in the centre of Malta, the three villages Lija, Balzan, Attard (especially Lija) are famous for some beautiful fireworks during village feasts.

Isn't the native language of Malta some sort of Arab dialect heavily influence by Italian (or the other way around)? I remember a friend who visited the island for the archeological sites said something about it. But it has been so long ago... Most people I know only think of beaches when they hear about Malta. Cultural savages...

[Edited on 29-4-2005 by Sergei_Eisenstein]

Esplosivo - 29-4-2005 at 08:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Sergei_Eisenstein
Isn't the native language of Malta some sort of Arab dialect heavily influence by Italian (or the other way around)? I remember a friend who visited the island for the archeological sites said something about it. But it has been so long ago... Most people I know only think of beaches when they hear about Malta. Cultural savages...

Not exactly arab, it is said to be a sort of semitic though, but it is HEAVILY influenced by Italian and English (I personally love Italian :), and Italian girls... :P - hope my girlfriend doesn't visit the forum today lol). Well we do have a couple of nice beaches, but I prefer the cultural heritage. When taking a holiday I choose a place with some culture (like Italy and Greece) other than some beach, but that is just me.

[Edited on 29-4-2005 by Esplosivo]

chloric1 - 29-4-2005 at 10:01

Quote:
Yeah, but you Latins also laugh because you're invading our country... :o / :( / :P / ;) (whichever emoticon you feel about it..)

Tim [/quote}

As a fellow citizen of the USA I understand your paranoid thoughts of an invasion. But, as I have so far seen, its an invasion of a better class of society. Here in the Ohio valley hispanics are changing the demographics in an alarming rate. Also, my wife is from Colombia and I could not ask for any better. Maybe a large percentage are of the poorer working class but even they have better family values, respect of tradition, etc. I think it is time for Americans to speak more than one language and recognize a world outside of computer games and reality television!:D:D

Bienvenido a Estados Unidos!:o

Sergei_Eisenstein - 29-4-2005 at 10:35

Quote:

Yes, that is reality. Eengliesh is just a snobby language for the President and some of his Pentagon employees ;)

uber luminal - 29-4-2005 at 10:44

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
Quote:

Tim [/quote}

As a fellow citizen of the USA I understand your paranoid thoughts of an invasion. But, as I have so far seen, its an invasion of a better class of society. Here in the Ohio valley hispanics are changing the demographics in an alarming rate. Also, my wife is from Colombia and I could not ask for any better. Maybe a large percentage are of the poorer working class but even they have better family values, respect of tradition, etc. I think it is time for Americans to speak more than one language and recognize a world outside of computer games and reality television!:D:D

Well said. Here, the latin/hispanic population has transformed many previous ghetto area's into nice communities. While many people come here (legal or not) poor, they are very skilled and resourceful people, who are successful. (I mean, they come to the US where many people do not welcome them, they hold down jobs that often times suck, they have to learn a new language and culture and STILL make it.)

Besides the US is based on a plethora of cultures. I dont think the US really has any of its own original culture besides the wild west, fast food and the nuclear family. I doubt influencing the US culture a little more from neighboring countries hurts anything.

The only problem with this, is all the 'american whiny white boys' who still live in a discriminatory lifestyle, make it difficult on the transition of immigrants, which provides a barrier between the two cultures, and instead of getting a homogenous mix of culture, you often see area's that are only hispanic, only bosnian, only etc. Its think its a shame.

------
As for the American thing, I think its a trend people in the US picked up and never let go of. You have Canadian, Mexican, Russian, Brazilian, Indian, Korean, Iranian...
... United Statesian? Japanese, Chinese... United Stateses? Swedish, Irish, Spanish... United Statesish?

What do you call us? (aside from ignorant, fat or jerks)

12AX7 - 29-4-2005 at 11:34

Er.. we have three words there. UnitedStatesofAmericans. Americans for short... :P

solo - 29-4-2005 at 12:03

Peru of America,
Chile of America,
Columbia of America,
Venenzuela of America,
Ecuador of America,
Brazil of America,
Argentina of America,
Bolivia of America,
Panama of america,
Costa Rica of America,
Guatemala of America,
El Salvador of America,
La Republica Mexicana of America,
The United States of America,
Canada Of America

.................so what special distinction is there in the United States to claim the whole continentas if they were the only americans........as stated, all of us living in this continent are Americans.........thank you very much.......solo

froot - 29-4-2005 at 13:39

Who the hell is from Antartica??? Sourcing stuff for your lab must be a real waiting game! Or is that just some disinfo.

12AX7 - 29-4-2005 at 13:50

Heheh, I think that was just in there for completeness.

Hmm, so someone DID vote....must be a typical, cold, linux user! :D

Tim

sparkgap - 29-4-2005 at 19:08

I'd be interested in knowing the Antarctican's travails of experimenting at sub-zero temperatures. :D That is, if he wasn't joshing with us. ;)

All this bickering about continents... I wonder how things would be if Pangaea never split?

sparky (^_^)

Jome - 1-5-2005 at 13:35

Sweden, or more accurate the occupied country skane :mad:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/ill/scaniaflag.gif

Silentnite - 3-5-2005 at 19:54

I think the main reason we call ourselves "American's" and have it mean only USA is our lack of a good name.

Peru- Peruvians.
Chile- Chileans
Jamica - Jamican's

United states of america - ....uh.. Unitedins, Unitians, statians? American's sound the best. Sorry for bogarting the name guys.

And yeah, I'm from the Hand of america. :D

hobbylab - 6-5-2005 at 01:53

Denmark, Europe

Pommie - 8-5-2005 at 00:01

Brisbane, Australia. Moved here 18 months ago from sunny Manchester, UK.

Mike.

saps - 8-5-2005 at 09:45

Im from new britian near papua new guinea. its north of australia

Sandmeyer - 22-6-2005 at 17:44

I'm from former Russian military-industrial complex, I worked there as a humble servant.

Surprising results

Lambda - 23-6-2005 at 18:04

I find the low score for America and the high score for Africa and Antarctica very surprising.
Seeing that the American continent allso includes Canada.

neutrino - 24-6-2005 at 08:29

Antarctica?! Who's from over there?

Nerro - 24-6-2005 at 10:53

The fact that people from the USA consider the country "theirs" is strange. They have no real history to speak of (or at least to interest anyone with) and their cultural background is basically a mixture of people from all over the world anyway. If they are truly the keepers of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" they should welcome every poor soul who had the misfortune to be born in any part of the world ;)

[Edited on 24/6/2005 by Nerro]

Jome - 24-6-2005 at 13:46

Quote:
Originally posted by saps
Im from new britian near papua new guinea. its north of australia

Oh really? How is the price on labware and chems in PNG?

kbk666 - 6-7-2005 at 05:14

I am from America, Ohio to be exact.

unionised - 6-7-2005 at 11:12

"Yes, that is reality. Eengliesh is just a snobby language for the President and some of his Pentagon employees "
Not quite, English is actually for the English. The Americans borrow it but, unfortunately, nobody thought to take a dictionary with them on the Mayflower.
And, in case anyone hasn't guessed, I'm English (though of Scots descent)

Sandmeyer - 6-7-2005 at 11:25

Unly a few US-Americans have a real language, rest of them use a bunch of memorized phrases from hollywood.

Sergei_Eisenstein - 6-7-2005 at 11:35

Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

;)

Organikum - 6-7-2005 at 11:42

Why bother about US-english? In 20 years they will all speak some pidgin-spanish anyways.
So the problem of this pictrogram english dialect in the US will vanish, prepare to bitch about what they are doing to spanish!

:P

claviceps - 29-8-2005 at 08:52

Does anyone know Czech republic? Well, I don't think so but that's where I come from. (And no-that's not Czechoslovakia)

sparkgap - 30-8-2005 at 00:54

Go ask the guy who posted before you if he does... ;)

sparky (~_~)

Mr. Wizard - 1-9-2005 at 15:48

Southwest USA. Very HOT in the summer, mild in the winter.

chloric1 - 1-9-2005 at 18:13

Ohio Valley_ Not as hot as South west but much more humid in 4 months of summer. Quite cold in winter, but less snow than Michigan.

DeAdFX - 6-9-2005 at 11:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandmeyer
Unly a few US-Americans have a real language, rest of them use a bunch of memorized phrases from hollywood.

Do not forget that stupid fo shizzle my nizzle crap. Damn you MTV/Internet for crapping on a lanugage and then beating it dead senseless a zillion times over.

Another vote for the red white and blue...

Dream of the iris - 28-9-2005 at 13:22

United States, Alabama. :)

bereal511 - 2-10-2005 at 19:43

Los Angeles, California

indigofuzzy - 4-10-2006 at 23:33

My location?
Either:
A. I live on hte moon
B. I roam the Appelachain mountains nomadically. That is, I'm situated on the north american plate.
C. I live in the Uncertain States of America, is a state called Confusion. (0 Nowhere Road, Dyslexia CU, -99999)

tumadre - 5-10-2006 at 19:18

Bainbridge Island Washington USA

Elawr - 5-10-2006 at 22:28

Sylacauga, AL - The Marble City

i.k88s.f.u - 14-10-2006 at 15:32

Iam from Israel

solo - 14-10-2006 at 19:08

I'm from the Republica Mexicana............................solo

dr. nick - 15-10-2006 at 01:21

Germany.
Bratwursthausen.

neutrino - 16-10-2006 at 00:15

Does anyone see anything funny with those numbers? 46 from America, 60 from Antactica...?

pantone159 - 16-10-2006 at 08:07

Austin, TX, USA.

Regarding the weather here: I find the occasional worries about stuff freezing that is kept outdoors very amusing.

geezmeister - 29-11-2006 at 12:58

Muscogee (Creek) Nation, State of Oklahoma, United Snakes of America.

Maya - 29-11-2006 at 13:34

Cracker, Confederate States of America

How come there are so many scientists from Antarctica and not too many from Greenland?

Ozone - 29-11-2006 at 16:08

In the middle of a cane field, in the Backwards South, United States of *North* America. It is perpetually hot-as-hell, humid, and the mosquitos will carry off your pets and small children.

Cheers,

O3

Romania

dan_teod - 17-2-2008 at 14:34

I am from Bucharest/Romania

7he3ngineer - 18-2-2008 at 00:50

Am I to believe that we have more than 4 times as many from Antarctica than from Australia?? I'm not sure if that's impressive or worrying (or have we got a few playing funny buggers!).

Perth, Western Australia

Josh

12AX7 - 18-2-2008 at 01:50

The only people living on Antarctica are those in research stations.

There probably aren't 60 poeple on the whole continent. Of course people are being cheeky about it! :P

Tim

7he3ngineer - 18-2-2008 at 02:00

Ofcourse I can see that Tim, but where are the Aussies?

...and, so we're clear, Antarctica's population is a bit over 60 actually (somewhere around a thousand).

Josh

12AX7 - 18-2-2008 at 10:26

Idunno, looks proportional to me. Australia is a continent, but it's only the population of, say, a state in U.S.A. or Europe.

Hmm, come to think of it, that should be "Australasia" or "Oceanis", to be perfectly precise.

I would dare complain North America isn't being proportionally represented!

Interesting, the first hit on Google says Antarctica usually has a population of 1000~3000, give or take, varying by season. Bigger stations (and more) than I would've expected.

Tim

jokull - 18-2-2008 at 11:38

I live in the world's biggest city: Mexico City.

However I born in some scandinavian place.

kvark - 18-2-2008 at 13:51

Slovenia

Sauron - 18-2-2008 at 17:24

Bangkok, Thailand, but born in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.

MagicJigPipe - 19-2-2008 at 01:07

No way! I don't believe there are that many people here that LIVE in Antarctica!

I live in Little Rock, Arkansas and will be moving to New Orleans, LA soon. (Metairie, actually, but nobody knows where that is).

I would also like to mention that I have visited every state west of the Mississippi River except for Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota. Also, Mississippi, Tenesee, North Carolina, Alabama and Florida. As you can see, I enjoy traveling.

bejo_ultd - 19-2-2008 at 21:45

indonesia ^^

MagicJigPipe - 19-3-2008 at 23:32

"I live in the world's biggest city: Mexico City."

Tokyo, Japan is the world's largest metropolitan area. I have always considered that true. Wikipedia seems to confirm it:

Tokyo, Japan
Seoul, South Korea
Mexico City, Mexico
New York City, United States

If you do just the cities you get WAY different results.

1. Mumbai (Bombay), India 11,914,398 2001c
2. São Paulo, Brazil 11,016,703 2006e
3. Shanghai, China 10,996,500 2003e
4. Moscow, Russia 10,101,500 2001c
5. Seoul, South Korea 9,820,171 2005c
6. Delhi, India 9,817,439 2001c
7. Karachi, Pakistan 9,339,023 1998c
8. Istanbul, Turkey 8,831,805 2000c
9. Beijing, China 8,689,000 2001e
10. Mexico City, Mexico 8,591,309 2000c

and 14 is New York City.

I suppose if you meant by land area then you might be right.

[Edited on 20-3-2008 by MagicJigPipe]

Anomandaris - 20-3-2008 at 05:17

Bucharest, Romania

Duke - 20-3-2008 at 12:58

Albany and Syracuse, NY, USA

Zelot - 20-3-2008 at 17:28

CA, USA

Arjan - 21-3-2008 at 05:45

Europe; The Netherlands.

My first post, normally only reading...

CyrusGrey - 21-3-2008 at 22:26

Florida, USA. Quite a hinderance on trying to work with bromine (no cold weather)
 Pages:  1