Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Producing Anthracene from Napthalene? possible?

Matsumoto_Hideki - 8-1-2005 at 15:09

Hey I am looking to make an organic scintillator from Anthracene using a blue spectra high sensitivity wide area Photodiode. Anyone tell me how to make anthracene?

C10H8 +___?___ = C14H10

Dodoman - 8-1-2005 at 15:17

I don't quite understand your question but anthracene can be prepared from naphthalene. There is a method called Hawardth synthesis but it's very complecated and I don't know of any other direct method.

Question is simple

Matsumoto_Hideki - 8-1-2005 at 15:21

ok, good So now that i know it is possible.. this is looking good. thanx
i am wanting to make an organic scintillator and I can't find Anthracene anywere so i will make it instead.

guaguanco - 10-1-2005 at 13:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodoman
I don't quite understand your question but anthracene can be prepared from naphthalene. There is a method called Hawardth synthesis but it's very complecated and I don't know of any other direct method.

If you are referring to the Haworth reaction, it looks like it produces phenanthrenes, not anthracenes:

http://themerckindex.cambridgesoft.com/TheMerckIndex/NameReactions/onr176.htm

Dodoman - 10-1-2005 at 15:29

Oh sorry about that I got confused between phenanthrene and anthracene.

But you can prepare phthalic anhydride from naphthalene via V2O5 and O2.

Marvin - 10-1-2005 at 22:27

Also napthalene, so I see no problems with an anthracene version.

http://www.chem.ed.ac.uk/teaching/undergrad/chemistry2/lectu...

There is an anthracene version of Haworth listed by google but its registered users only. I'd be guessing it works like dodoman thinks. Benzene + pthallic anhydride.

Pthallic acid can also be made by permanganate oxidation of napthalene and then dehydrated. Might be easier than vapour phase oxidation.

There are other methods to anthracene I can think of but they go via benzyl chloride, chiefly as byproducts of biphenyl synthesis and I'm not sure how well this could be adapted.