Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The recent unscheduled downtime

Polverone - 15-1-2005 at 13:44

After months of inaction, Bravidio (sciencemadness's web host) has finally fixed the intolerable disk space situation: I can now upload content to the limits of my user agreement, and the forum database can continue to grow. At the same time they also upgraded the web server hardware to 4 processors and 2 GB of RAM (not that the site was especially slow on the old hardware).

There should now be no problems uploading images to scipics or having them disappear from there. Sadly, I was storing images in /var/tmp/ with a symbolic link to scipics, and those images in /var/tmp/ did not get transferred to the new hardware (unlike files in my home directory). So we may have a case of disappearing images again. Check scipics to see if that's the case. On the bright side, images uploaded now should stay uploaded and accessible.

I was worried for a while by the database problems that made this forum inaccessible, but they seem resolved now, and I am much happier with the new hardware situation. I'm sorry that I was unable to warn people in advance; I didn't know the upgrade was coming either.

chemoleo - 15-1-2005 at 17:13

Good to see it's been only temporary! Thanks for letting us know in that little message - I think we all wondered what the hell happened. This particular 'error message' about connections being exceeded, I remember having seen it before, about 2 weeks ago.

As to the pictures- shouldn't backups contain all these? I.e. using the latest backup to overwrite the current content of the scipics database?

Anyway, thank you very much, it's great to know we have a caring administrator! :)

PS It's odd to see 'Today's Posts' containing only 5 new posts or so!

[Edited on 16-1-2005 by chemoleo]

a confession

Polverone - 15-1-2005 at 18:20

I have been a good administrator in that I regularly download backups of the forum database, but I have not made regular backups of files from the scipics directory. Oops.

Someone might want to run wget on the scipics directory once in a while so that my premature senility does not cause any harm in the future.

mick - 16-1-2005 at 09:35

I tried to log in a few times and got the Error message and thought the worst. Well done.
mick

thalium - 16-1-2005 at 13:11

I almost got a heart attak:D. No I didn't but I did fear the worst. That message was a good thing.

cyclonite4 - 17-1-2005 at 04:05

I was up all night pressing the refresh button.
This is probably my number one visited site on the internet. :D

Recent outage

CycloKnight - 2-3-2005 at 01:29

I was beginning to fear the worst!
So, so relieved it was just temporary.
BTW, is it just me or have I got a fan club?

Reverend Necroticus Rex - 3-3-2005 at 13:06

My heart skipped a beat and I must admit I did get a little paranoid then.

I must have refreshed, cleaned my firewall cache and god knows what else at least 35 times that day:o

Wow.

Polverone - 9-3-2005 at 21:48

Just days after our last outage, the forum goes down again. What happened was that the webhost upgraded PHP to 4.3.10 without updating the "Zend Optimizer" (some sort of PHP accelerator) to 2.5.7, which causes incompatibilities as seen with our forum software. It took me some time to figure out exactly what the trouble was and then some more to submit a support ticket. Bravidio has addressed the problem by reverting to PHP 4.3.9 for now. Hopefully, they will update the Zend Optimizer and then PHP itself in the near future, since apparently PHP 4.3.9 has some bugs and security problems that 4.3.10 fixes. I hope it doesn't knock us offline if/when they do upgrade.

Organikum - 10-3-2005 at 05:56

Well the message from our overlord soothed me..... ;)

Ugh.

Polverone - 7-5-2005 at 20:43

Well, we had a bout of trouble again today! The problem this time is that Micfo's nameserver somehow got set so that sciencemadness.org was resolving to its old address from before we got the dedicated IP address. I didn't notice it for some hours because I was out earlier and my web browser, which I rarely close down, had the old address cached and kept on showing the site to me correctly. I didn't realize that something was wrong until several hours had passed without a post and I saw that nobody was logged on to the forum. Things should be fixed up for everyone as the DNS changes back to the correct address propagate.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Edward Elric - 7-5-2005 at 22:37

I WAS GOING TO KILL MYSELF!
OH THE HUMANITY!
OH MAN
OH MY LORD

JEEESUS

*BANGS HEAD AGAINST WALL*

edit: i went to brimic's site and posted. liek omg did it get taken down? v_V;;

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by Edward Elric]

neutrino - 8-5-2005 at 06:02

Please keep banging, as this will purify the gene pool.:D

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

sparkgap - 8-5-2005 at 06:07

Man, all is good now. I thought someone was screwing around with our beloved board. What a relief.

Oh, and screw the guy currently banging his head. Has he contributed anything meaningful lately? :D :P

sparky (~_~)

cyclonite4 - 8-5-2005 at 06:27

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
Please keep banging, as this will purify the gene pool.:D

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

Oh be nice neutrino :D
Although I must say he did bang a bit too much for his (or maybe anyones) good.

I was also depressed over what I thought to be the loss of SM, but I chose not to destroy my brain, need to keep some chemistry knowledge handy :D

Silentnite - 8-5-2005 at 16:35

He's been banging his head long before he got here.

For a second I had thought that a nerve was going to be struck as I couldn't reach SM or RS... And I still can't reach RS. I need my chem fix man.:cool:

not able to access the forum

solo - 19-7-2005 at 06:31

I had problems logging in today for more than 10 attempt's with 3 different browsers , the same answer, I wasn't able to acquire a secure log in with the server scencemadness.org until now......is it a saturation message , because I haven't read of any maintenance shut down .......solo

12AX7 - 19-7-2005 at 08:25

Ditto, server was phut last night.

.....Uh....works fine now......

Tim

Axt - 19-7-2005 at 08:49

I was being sent to this page: homeequityarticles.com

Whenever I tried to get into http://sciencemadness.org

I pulled the source code for the page and they had a hidden tracker: http://extremetracking.com/open;ref1?login=mfblog check the last 20 referers.

I wasnt the only one ending up there, note that the domain remained "sciencemadness.org" but the content of that page showed up.

[Edited on 19-7-2005 by Axt]

Polverone - 19-7-2005 at 11:08

Homeequityarticles.com is another Micfo-hosted site. I think Micfo monkeyed with the DNS entries like they have twice before. I'll be asking for a refund this month since the outage apparently lasted for hours.

Nerro - 19-7-2005 at 12:04

Since you have "espace au plenté" now why don't add some improvements to the board? like the latex typesetting they have on http://www.physicsforums.com/

just a suggestion :)

sparkgap - 19-7-2005 at 16:55

Yeah, add a way to automatically place subscript and superscript tags at the very least, if you're planning to do board improvements.

sparky (~_~)

[Edited on 20-7-2005 by sparkgap]

Polverone - 19-7-2005 at 19:31

I don't have plenty of time, unfortunately. The physicsforums support for LaTeX was implemented by one of the people running the forum. I would have to write my own LaTeX support for XMB, and I'm not really enthused about learning any more of the horrible mess that is PHP than I must. I know subscripts and superscripts are tedious to type in, but I allow HTML here, so you can compose your messages in a graphical HTML editor if you have a lot of formatting to do.

Polverone - 20-7-2005 at 07:57

The corrupt mysql table has been fixed.