Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Methanol mistake

Morgan - 4-9-2014 at 05:53

Not the best explanation of events to be sure.

13 Hurt, Mostly Kids, in Chemical Mishap at Museum
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/13-hurt-kids-chem...

Terrifying moment a live science experiment exploded at a Reno museum injuring 13 people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im-n1YLyCMQ

Pyro - 4-9-2014 at 06:10

be ready for more chemophobia. at least they said it wasn't an explosive.

"It didn't smell like anything caught on fire, it smelled like burning chemicals," something caught on fire is burning, no?

Amos - 4-9-2014 at 07:46

How does one get chemical burns from some boric acid?

Metacelsus - 4-9-2014 at 08:49

The burns are most likely thermal, from burning MeOH.

confused - 4-9-2014 at 08:59

it was probably the methanol that caused the burns

Brain&Force - 4-9-2014 at 09:07

Police have zero idea what an acid burn is...just say they got burned! That's what happens when you remain in contact with fire!

Fantasma4500 - 5-9-2014 at 07:08

somehow got around an article from my country where some guy decided to smash a window a few times with an axe
the people working in there, +10 were all sent to psychologist
couldnt help but wonder whether the axe had to go to therapy aswell??

anyhow when its just minor burns then its minimal, and you cant really know whether its 3 hairs that got SLIGHTLY burnt or if they got actual burn damages

however really damn gross that it has been totally cancelled
one french woman dies in holland because of psychedellic mushrooms and they get banned
with that ideology we will soon be left in a pure white room, ofcourse without corners because that could get dangerous, and ofcourse not so tall that you could accidentally hang yourself, and entire floor made of matresses

once managed to get 3 somewhat nasty burns in one day on my right thumb, but totally banning anything ever nearly even possibly capable of emitting heat wouldnt work out for me
degenerate society.

Eddygp - 22-9-2014 at 13:25

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Police have zero idea what an acid burn is...just say they got burned! That's what happens when you remain in contact with fire!

Maybe it's just that the skin was made up of tert-butyllithium...