Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Calcium picrate.

Smoer - 3-2-2005 at 10:06

Yesterday,I tried to make some Calcium picrate.
First,I took about 25ml of water and a little CaC2 and let it react(outside).As you probably all know,there will form ethyleen and Ca(OH)2.So after the reaction was completed,I started adding about +-0.9 gram PA.De solution turned orange/red.Then I filtrated the solution,because the stuff on the bottom would burn(so this is probably most Ca(OH)2,sou filtrate the solution after the reaction with CaC2 and water).Then I heated the red solution till almost the 1/2 of the original volume.I let it crystalize out(0-5°C).Red/orange crystals were precipated.They react violently with flame with a little crackling sound.

Could it be this is Calcium picrate then??If so,does anyone have more info about this?

cheerz

[Edited on 3-2-2005 by Smoer]

Mumbles - 3-2-2005 at 17:54

Well, due to the fact you had a base, an acid, and a crystalizing component that is not Picric acid, I would say it is pretty safe to say you have indeec prepared calcium picrate.

Saerynide - 4-2-2005 at 11:39

Dont you mean ethyne or acetylene was produced?

Esplosivo - 4-2-2005 at 11:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
Dont you mean ethyne or acetylene was produced?

They are both the same thing Saerynide. ;) And yes ethyne or acetylene is given off by the reaction of calcium carbide with water.

Jome - 4-2-2005 at 12:36

It seems like he first let the acetylene bubble of , and then used the formed Ca(OH)2.

ptit nouveau - 6-2-2005 at 04:14

Calcium picrate explose at 347°C (Source : traité de pascal)

Theoretic - 6-2-2005 at 10:00

"Then I filtrated the solution,because the stuff on the bottom would burn(so this is probably most Ca(OH)2"

Ca(OH)2 doesn't burn.

Saerynide - 6-2-2005 at 10:58

Yeah, I know they are the same, but (s)he said "ethyleen" as opposed to ethyne or acetylene :P