Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Blue powder at shipyard

thesmug - 6-9-2014 at 08:56

I was on the highway near Gary and I saw a ship unloading some light blue powder into a big pile (for temporary storage, I assume). I see this all the time but it's always white powder. I have never seen this blue powder unloading so does anyone know what this might be? It looks a bit like anhydrous cobalt chloride but I doubt that's what it is. It might just be dyed salt.

Brain&Force - 6-9-2014 at 11:15

Copper sulfate is my best guess.

thesmug - 6-9-2014 at 11:47

I thought that might be it but it doesn't look dark enough.

phlogiston - 6-9-2014 at 11:47

Ultramarine?

unionised - 6-9-2014 at 12:02

Isn't something like this
http://www.matrixpolymers.com/userfiles/files/UKMaterialsFor...
about a zillion times more likely?

thesmug - 6-9-2014 at 13:24

No. It's very light blue. It's pretty much the same as anhydrous cobalt chloride. I doubt it was cobalt chloride since it was outside right next to water and on a boat.

Texium - 6-9-2014 at 14:43

Copper sulfate looks a lot lighter when it's powdered than it does as crystals, so it's still a possibility.
Might be copper carbonate too.

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by zts16]

Bert - 6-9-2014 at 20:02

Ultramarine, Sodium Aluminum silicate?

Water soluble Copper compounds would not likely be left in the open-

unionised - 7-9-2014 at 00:44

Quote: Originally posted by thesmug  
No. It's very light blue. It's pretty much the same as anhydrous cobalt chloride. I doubt it was cobalt chloride since it was outside right next to water and on a boat.

You may not have noticed this, but plastic articles are available in a variety of colours.
The current price of cobalt is about $30000 per ton.
Does anyone think people leave compounds of it out in the rain?

Pyro - 7-9-2014 at 06:54

it's most likely fertilizer.
a friend of my dads used to own a fertilizer shipping company, he said that fertilizers were sometimes color coded according to their type

thesmug - 7-9-2014 at 09:08

I found it on the shipping company's website. It's blue road salt. They dye it blue because it's not edible. I think they're storing it a bit early though.