Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Easy synth. of hypno/sedative substances?

kazaa81 - 5-2-2005 at 13:56

Hallo to all,
I'm searching for easy (possibly home) synthesis of "hypno" (in a medicine's manual I've find writed like that) and/or "sedative" substances...chloroform is a good know synthesis, so don't discuss this here.

Thanks at all for help

The_Davster - 5-2-2005 at 15:44

Well, there is chloral hydrate whch is used in commercial sleep medicine, chlorobutanol which is quite similar to chloral hydrate, and there is also GBL/GHB.

This could have been easily found by searching and even your title of this thread is incorrect, there is a major difference between hypno substancs and sedatives.

[Edited on 5-2-2005 by rogue chemist]

Geomancer - 5-2-2005 at 19:07

Check out the Rhodium mirror du jour. The suggestions you already have cover all I can think of that are really easy to make, except, of course, for ethyl alcohol. Benzodiazapines set the standard, but are much harder to make. I think that chloroform, diethyl ether (you can make this too), etc. form a completly different class of drugs.

Sandmeyer - 8-2-2005 at 04:08

polymerization of acetaldehyde leads to a compound with hypnotic properties. You can make acetaldehyde by boiling ethanol and allowing the vapour to pass over a copper-wire, there are details on the internet.

Esplosivo - 8-2-2005 at 04:35

IIRC the tetramer (which is solid) is said to have hypnotic properties. It was known as metaldehyde and it is produced by treating small amounts of acetaldehyde with acids such as HCl or sulfur dioxide. It was used as a solid fuel and as a toxic garden bait for slugs and snails.

The trimer is easily produced by adding a small quantity of conc. sulfuric acid to ethanal (acetaldehyde). The liquid mixture boils up suddenly. On addition of water a little pale yellow oil is seen to separate. This is the trimer, paraldehyde.

Sandmeyer, or anybody, could you please verify which one of the two polymers is the one with hypnotic properties? I think it was the tetramer but I am not sure.

Sandmeyer - 8-2-2005 at 05:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Esplosivo
Sandmeyer, or anybody, could you please verify which one of the two polymers is the one with hypnotic properties?

The one you obtain when you put one drop of conc H2SO4 per 2 mL of acetaldehyde... Formula: C6H12O3

chemoleo - 8-2-2005 at 05:52

It's paraldehyde that has hypnotic properties (in case that wasn't clear from the above).
Does anyone know its side effects? Does depolymerisation occur in the body, during degradation? Surely that can't be too healthy?
But then, this probably depends of the dosis needed, I remember the sweetener aspartame that liberates methanol upon digestion, it turns out the amounts are minor compared to those taken up with a couple of glasses of beer.

vulture - 8-2-2005 at 11:40

*COUGH*

Is it just me or is this forum turning into a hive replacement?

Organikum - 8-2-2005 at 12:14

Its just you.

Take your valium and calm down.

/ORG

The_Davster - 8-2-2005 at 15:46

I agree with Vulture on this...

Darkfire - 8-2-2005 at 15:55

These kind of threads make this forum look like a cheap hive replacement; however, threads like cycloknights benzaldahyde thread do the oposite. There are alot more mind altering discusions on MSDB latley but if presented right they are fine.