Sciencemadness Discussion Board

need suggesion

kwpooh - 2-3-2005 at 10:38

I have a small project to plug the two ends of a nanotube. Anybody have this kind of experience? Or any good suggestion?

guaguanco - 2-3-2005 at 13:19

Use a couple of nanocorks.

Mumbles - 2-3-2005 at 15:54

I assume these are carbon nanotubes.

I found two different ways

http://www.unc.edu/~zhou/doc/hgeng_cpl_04.pdf

This one is by vacuum anealling the nanotubes.

I found an abstract to another, but perhaps someone else could get a full version.

B C Satishkumar et al 1996 J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 29 4925-4934

Novel experiments with carbon nanotubes: opening, filling, closing and functionalizing nanotubes

B C Satishkumar, A Govindaraj, J Mofokeng, G N Subbanna and C N R Rao
Solid State and Structural Chemistry Unit and CSIR Centre of Excellence in Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore - 560 012, India
and
Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research, Jakkur, Bangalore - 560 064, India

Received 21 March 1996
Print publication: Issue 21 (14 November 1996)

Abstract. Carbon nanotubes have been opened using a variety of oxidants including HF/BF3 and OsO4 at room temperature. The opened nanotubes have been filled with metals such as Ag, Au, Pd and Pt by simple chemical means. The opened nanotubes, containing a high concentration of acidic functional groups, get covered or closed by reaction with reagents such as ethylene glycol. The opened nanotubes can also be closed by treatment with benzene vapour in a reducing atmosphere of argon and hydrogen at high temperatures. Refluxing carbon nanotubes in a H2SO4-HNO3 mixture results in a clear colourless solution, which on removal of the solvent and excess acid gives a white solid containing functionalized nanotubes. Neutralization of the acidic solution by alkali results in the precipitation of a brown solid containing nanotubes.

sparkgap - 3-3-2005 at 02:38

Methinks sealing nanotubes is one of the things you can't do in a backyard setting. So I wouldn't consider it a "small" project. :D

In any case, sealing C nanotubes can be done by functionalizing the ends with proper moieties, and then reacting them with nanotube fragments (also functionalized, of course).

guaguanco, that was droll. ;) You could also have suggested to use nanostoppers. :D

(edited again for clarity)

sparky (^_^)

[Edited on 4-3-2005 by sparkgap]

kwpooh - 3-3-2005 at 13:31

well, it is not really a small project. and it is not carbon nanotube either. It is just with general materials. SO DIFFICULT!

guaguanco - 3-3-2005 at 14:43

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkgap
guaguanco, that was droll. ;) You could also have suggested to use nanostoppers. :D

I have many deficiencies, but I am a droll master...

sparkgap - 3-3-2005 at 22:12

Uh, would you care to elaborate on what these "general materials" would be? :D It would really be difficult to make something substantial if you don't know the properties of your raw materials.

sparky (^_^)

uber luminal - 3-3-2005 at 23:25

generously apply PicoPutty1000.