Sciencemadness Discussion Board

platinum catalyst

burnt element - 7-3-2005 at 18:59

I am interested in doing a thing that calls for this element. I've been browsing a little and my budget is not prepared for the price of platinum.
Is there a replacement with similar properties that doesn't break the bank.
As a side note:
I had a different user name before, I had asked about the separation of KOH in drain opener.
I got a book and have been studying long and hard. I have now gotten into the bio section and am getting anxious for some action.
I must of been crazy not to get involved in chemistry until now. What fun we're having!

Thermal - 7-3-2005 at 19:05

Well, it depends on what "thing" exactly you're planning on doing as to weather one catalyst can be satisfactorily substituted for another.

burnt element - 7-3-2005 at 19:11

direct reduction of the hydroxyl on the L-ephedrine sulfate sidechain in glacial acetic acid using 70% perchloric acid as a promoter and 5% palladium-on-carbon as the catalyst.

unionised - 10-3-2005 at 13:45

Pd or Pt?

burnt element - 10-3-2005 at 21:39

Pd is what I would like to use because I have a possible source. I'm just feeling out my options, I noticed that the replies stopped when I announced my intentions.
Somebody told me that I needed a prescription to purchase I2, the otherday at the try and save.
If I was trying to understand chemistry and I understood that I liked to experience the effects of chemicals and I also understood that understanding something is the only way to effectively make an educated decision....

What the fuck was I talking about?