Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Stands and attachments in Canada?

Quince - 8-3-2005 at 02:56

I can't import from the US due to weight and size. Also, these seem really expensive. I've got all the hardware except support stuff. Any suggestion of Canadian sources? What about DIY? I figure I could make a stand from scrap material, but not rings and clamps.

The_Gender_Changer - 15-3-2005 at 07:16

You can bye something in HE household
stores and international eBay.

Quince - 14-4-2005 at 21:19

Well, I built stands from copper pipe, with wood bases, and clamps from stuff from the hardware store. Total cost for two stands and four clamps -- $20 Canadian.

Darkblade48 - 14-4-2005 at 21:46

I actually have the same problem as you do, but I figured that I could use some scrap aluminum blocks as my base, and find something else for the support rod.

However, I'm also pressed for rings, clamps and the like. Anyone know if Home Depot carries anything that can be used to make DIY clamps? :)

Quince - 15-4-2005 at 00:40

The clamps I made by using things that attach around copper pipes by tightening a bolt, and attaching to it nuts using very strong putty; a large bolt through the nuts makes for an adjustable lenght of the clamp, and the tip is from a flexible metal pipe bracket, which can be bent to easily hold any round neck or whatever labware, over which I pulled some fiberglass loom for cushioning.