Sciencemadness Discussion Board

size of aluminum

haydz - 8-3-2005 at 22:57

what should the minimum size for Aluminum in the Al/Fe203 thermite be?

I have cut up the bottom of a Al can into pieces of about 1-2 mm each :)

al.JPG - 61kB

12AX7 - 8-3-2005 at 23:12

I've done it with turnings and chunky broken up rust, all depends on how slow you can tolerate. Obviously, too slow and you'll need a really big charge (several pounds) to sustain it.

You'll definitely need something hot and strong to light it, a good stick of magnesium or some finer thermite should do.

Tim

haydz - 8-3-2005 at 23:20

I was thinking of putting little bits of cut up magnesium with it, and using a few strips rather than one... if i make the rust as fine as possible will that help? also how much minimum approx do you reckon i would need to sustain the reaction with al pieces that big.

Joeychemist - 8-3-2005 at 23:31

LMAO!!!:P:P:D:D

You can't use Aluminum like that, you must use atomized, flaked or a very finely powdered Al for use in pyro. Think Aluminum dust. Anyways check out this forum for some useful ways to make Al for pyro.
http://www.apcforum.net/

Thanks for the laugh though.
;)

haydz - 11-3-2005 at 00:12

hahah damn :(

ahh well worth a try! :p and thanks for the link.

:D

12AX7 - 11-3-2005 at 05:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Joeychemist
You can't use Aluminum like that, you must use atomized, flaked or a very finely powdered Al for use in pyro.

Well, no. Like I said, I've done it before. Once you get the iron and aluminum oxides melting, it can be any size you want. Getting that started, however, requires a lot more heat.

In general, window screen is about the largest worth bothering with, unless you are interested in the molten metal.

$0meb0dy - 11-3-2005 at 06:11

Quote:

Once you get the iron and aluminum oxides melting

You mean aluminium and iron oxides:P.

Al shouln'd have to be very fine, for thermite coarse Al should work, but I don't know about your Al...