Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A Lousy Paper

DraconicAcid - 1-10-2014 at 08:49

Doing a bit of googling for salicylate complexes brings me this paper:

http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jac/papers/vol7-issue4/Version-...

They make metal salicylates by refluxing the acid with a transition metal salt for two hours in mixed-water/ethanol, and filtering off the precipitate. They characterize the salicylates by IR, UV/Vis, mp, and conductivity measurements, and report that they are all either M(sal)2 or M(sal)3 (where "sal" = the salicylate dianion, with both the phenolic and carboxylic acid protons removed). They also seem to think that the phenolic hydrogen will ionize without the addition of another base.

It does not occur to them that a divalent metal will either coordinate 1 dianionic "sal" ligand, or two monoanionic "Hsal" ligands to make an electrically-neutral product.

They do not seem to realize that the replacement of ligands on Cr(III) and Co(III) is very slow, and do not test for the presence of chlorine in the products (despite making them from the chlorides).

They do not notice that the spectra of the products they get from Co(II) and Co(III) are very similar (and would probably look identical if shown on the same scale). Their melting points and colours are similar, and I'd guess that one is simply a less-pure form of the other.

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by DraconicAcid]

Brain&Force - 1-10-2014 at 09:54

Who made those graphs? All of them are scaled differently. I could have written a better paper by myself (and I don't even have a lab notebook)!

Praxichys - 1-10-2014 at 10:26

They would have done well to roast the salicylates until they were metals or oxides, and use the mass loss to empirically determine the true ratio of salicylate to metal in each sample.

If the mass loss had ambiguity, I would take each precipitate and reflux it with dry toluene using a dean-stark trap with K2CO3 in it to suck up any leftover acids and water that might be part of the crystallization. Filter, wash with more toluene, dry in vacuo, try again.

What the heck is with the MP of Co(sal)3? It is listed as "13-215."

unionised - 1-10-2014 at 11:07

Well, OK, it's a lousy paper.
What do you expect from a journal that's a short step away from vanity publishing?
Incidentally, their UV/vis spectra are all pretty meaningless too.

phlogiston - 1-10-2014 at 11:31

Presmably in Nigeria they do not have the same access to resources or education.

Don't blame the authors, blame the poor peer review.

DraconicAcid - 1-10-2014 at 12:15

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
What the heck is with the MP of Co(sal)3? It is listed as "13-215."

I assumed that was a typo for 213-215 oC.

But, yeah, it's basically a vanity publisher with no peer review, so we can't expect much better. But I've had first-year students from Nigeria who could have spotted these mistakes.

kmno4 - 1-10-2014 at 14:55

Cited journals:

Hetero letters
Electrochem. J. of Chem.
Inorganic Chemical Acta

... and that is all about this "publication".

The Volatile Chemist - 7-10-2014 at 12:40

Sad. That wouldn't have passed our reviews in pre-pub., let alone ACS stuff. Blegh.

DraconicAcid - 13-10-2014 at 13:16

I managed to get an email to the author, and a response. This could be an interesting conversation.

Little_Ghost_again - 13-10-2014 at 13:28

This is why its not always a good idea for noob like me TUTFSE! How would I know it was shite?
thats why I ask basic stuff :D.
Well done for taking time to email them though.

The Volatile Chemist - 14-10-2014 at 15:05

Really, DA?
Post the conversation so far, I'm curious!

DraconicAcid - 14-10-2014 at 15:18

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Really, DA?
Post the conversation so far, I'm curious!

So far, he's just confirmed that I've contacted the correct person.

I won't reproduce the conversation here (that would be a breach of ethics), but I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to give him enough constructive criticism that he revisits these complexes and fixes his errors- my goal is not to simply insult him or make fun of him.

phlogiston - 14-10-2014 at 16:41

He is probably just excited that someone read his paper and took up an interest in it, even if it is for a different reason than a shared interest in the scientific content.
Good scientist tend to take criticism pretty well, its part of the job (as is criticizing other scientists research/finding the weak spots).

[Edited on 15-10-2014 by phlogiston]

DraconicAcid - 14-10-2014 at 17:47

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
He is probably just excited that someone read his paper and took up an interest in it, even if it is for a different reason than a shared interest in the scientific content.
Good scientist tend to take criticism pretty well, its part of the job (as is criticizing other scientists research/finding the weak spots).

I hope he feels the same way as you. So far, he hasn't shown much excitement.

DraconicAcid - 17-10-2014 at 15:27

I pointed out that his formulations (with doubly deprotonated salicylates) were certainly wrong, and he wrote back to agree, blame the MSc student, and apologize. I replied with a list of the other criticisms I had- we'll see what he says.

Little_Ghost_again - 18-10-2014 at 09:33

I wouldnt make a good scientist then, I hate criticism! :D
I have seen your you tube channel Draconic Acid, it made me feel so very much better knowing that at my age you had similar disasters that I do lol.

Nitric acid and sodium bicarb in too small a vessel and too large a quantity WOOSH, also had some copper in, so a lovely blue fountain :D, I am still cleaning it all up!
Ruined the power supply as acid got in and the copper traces in parts are no more. I also had a run in with what I though was fuming nitric acid and turned out to be something else far more dangerous lol

Metacelsus - 18-10-2014 at 10:48

What was it: anhydrous perchloric acid?

DraconicAcid - 18-10-2014 at 12:01

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  

I have seen your you tube channel Draconic Acid, it made me feel so very much better knowing that at my age you had similar disasters that I do lol.

Which? What? I don't have a Youtube channel.....

Little_Ghost_again - 18-10-2014 at 13:31

Might be your website then, you do have a web site? Yeah I am sure so dont try and hide it lol

Brain&Force - 18-10-2014 at 13:34

He may be referencing NurdRage.

Amos - 19-10-2014 at 08:59

Might be your website then, you do have a web site? Yeah I am sure so dont try and hide it lol

I think you mean Bromic Acid. HE has the list of childhood disasters that is commonly referenced on here, not DraconicAcid.

Here is what I think you're talking about : http://www.bromicacid.com/mistakes.htm

[Edited on 10-19-2014 by No Tears Only Dreams Now]

The Volatile Chemist - 20-10-2014 at 16:28

Yea, bromic acid's a pretty cool guy, I don't see him around much anymore, too bad. He was one of the people who convinced me to join this site.

CuReUS - 21-10-2014 at 04:09

I also had a run in with what I though was fuming nitric acid and turned out to be something else far more dangerous lol

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
What was it: anhydrous perchloric acid?

i think most probably he ended up collecting nitrogen dioxide(in the liquid state) in the condensing flask;)
if you use a very strong acid along with a nitrate salt ,that's what happens:D

[Edited on 21-10-2014 by CuReUS]

Metacelsus - 21-10-2014 at 07:18

Correction: if you do it at atmospheric pressure. Using a vacuum prevents decomposition. I have distilled nearly anhydrous nitric acid from sodium nitrate and Rooto concentrated sulfuric acid under vacuum without problems.

Little_Ghost_again - 22-10-2014 at 16:38

No it turned out to be hydrofluric acid, or maybe olieum. Not sure which way around it was now because I ended up with both for a very short time, it all went a bit tits up. Dad ended up doing a hazmat on it and got it back to its correct home at the uni lab it came from.
Anyway las time I do iffy deals with lab cleaners

DraconicAcid - 13-11-2014 at 11:10

Anyway, I did send him a list of other criticisms. There has been no reply.

The Volatile Chemist - 14-11-2014 at 05:05

That's too bad. When was the paper written?

DraconicAcid - 14-11-2014 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
That's too bad. When was the paper written?

The publication date is April 2014.

The Volatile Chemist - 14-11-2014 at 10:14

Then he should be responding. That's really bad...

DraconicAcid - 20-11-2014 at 10:59

Oh, look- an even worse paper has been accepted for publication!

http://scholarlyoa.com/2014/11/20/bogus-journal-accepts-prof...

gdflp - 20-11-2014 at 11:09

Yep, that's definitely a peer reviewed journal;) I would consider it a mark against me if I had a paper in a journal like that.

aga - 20-11-2014 at 14:02

That one is a perfectly good paper !

Accurate in every respect.

DraconicAcid - 10-1-2024 at 18:44

I actually found a worse paper.....

http://www.ijpsi.org/Papers/Vol3(6)/B036105011.pdf

clearly_not_atara - 11-1-2024 at 20:29

We have discovered that bacteria are inhibited by shitloads of copper! :D

KoiosPhoebus - 16-1-2024 at 00:18

I read the text before the paper, saw "complexes" and went "Oh NO". It's an extremely common mistake for scientists, especially biologists (note: I'm a microbiologist/geneticist myself, so this is not me throwing shade at another department), who are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the field. If you look into making metal complexes, you'll find some good procedures amongst a heap of "the equation balances so it works! :D".

My favourites are the ones who react metal sulphates with a very weak acid, most commonly an amino acid like glycine, and then claim they got the chelate of the weak acid plus sulphuric acid as the side-product. Example below:

photo_2024-01-16_15-06-33.jpg - 304kB

(another error - they refer to tryptophan (Trp) in their first para, but in their second para they refer to tyrosine (Tyr), a different amino acid)

This is frustratingly common in horticultural/agricultural research. I recall a paper which attempted to synthesise ferrous "amino acid chelates" by directly reacting FeSO4 with either glycine, arginine, or histidine. The problem is that the amino groups in all three amino acids would be protonated at pH<9, so they actually obtained adducts where Gly/Arg complexes the iron through monodentate coordination of the carboxylate group to the metal (complex II in the below).

Source: https://doi.org/10.1021/jp054119b

(Histidine is slightly different as it can coordinate to metals through the imidazole ring, and hence can form bidentate chelates even as a neutral zwitterion. However, it would still be an adduct instead of a chelate e.g. ferrous bis-histidinate.)

Stuff like this matters because the adducts are significantly weaker complexes; glycine, for example, has a complex stability constant of K=101.09 for its ML complex with calcium but a complex stability constant of just K=100.3 under the same temperature + ionic conditions for its protonated M(HL) complex (stability constant calculated as [MHL]/[M][HL]). With iron(III), the same constants are K=109.25 for the fully-deprotonated ML, versus K=103.7 for M(HL). If anyone's interested in the stability constants of various complexes, someone has made a database explorer for the old NIST stability constant database which has unfortunately been discontinued - this is where I got the above figures.

This even shows up in biological assays; as an example, one study found that ferrous glycine sulphate (the adduct) has a significantly higher rate of adverse events than ferrous bisglycinate (chelate).

Ever since "chelation" became the trendy thing to do to mineral nutrients to make them more available, there's been a whole range of papers by people employing methods which don't stand up to scrutiny to make their "chelates". I should add that I have attempted to and failed to replicate many such methods, because many of them are simple enough that if they did work, they would make metal complex synthesis so much easier.

As an example, this paper claims to have synthesised histidine complexes (with no chloride) by directly reacting the metal chloride with histidine in an aqueous methanol solution. This would be such an easy synthesis method if it worked! Unfortunately, histidine has low solubility in water, and L-histidine has essentially no solubility in methanol (plus, methanol is actually the worst solvent for the stereoisomer D-histidine), so I have no idea if the histidine would even dissolve into the solution. Plus, there's the classic issue of "where does the anion (chloride, in this case) go? The conjugate acid of the anion is too strong...".

Nevertheless, I decided to try and replicate the procedure using manganese chloride, and even after 4 hours of reflux, the primary precipitate was undissolved L-histidine (the L-His I used came in needle-shaped crystals, so I was able to identify its presence in the precipitate). I gave up after about the 5th hour and left the manganese chloride/L-histidine/methanol/water mixture in a tube on a shaker for about a month. When I came back, there was a little bit of light brown precipitate, but most of the L-His crystals remained undissolved, at which point I gave up and tossed the entire tube out.

The procedure didn't make sense theoretically, I spent a little L-His to give it a fair shot anyway, and it didn't work despite me giving it reasonably favourable conditions for success. In my experience, that's how all of these have gone.