Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Scientific glassblowing students for hire or trades. Want something made?

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 12:31

Hello, there. I'm a 2nd year student in the Scientific Glass Technology program at Salem Community College, and I would like to offer the services of myself and my fellow classmates to anyone who needs glass equipment/apparatus manufactured. We are all just starting out our careers for the most part, and could easily offer services at a price (or equivalent trade) much less than common manufacturers. Our instructors all have extensive experience in the industry, and we will be running all manufactured products through them for quality control. We would all really like the opportunity to get some experience working directly with researchers. We are located in southern New Jersey.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and please keep doing what you do so we can keep doing what we do.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by theglassguy]

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by theglassguy]

Chemosynthesis - 11-10-2014 at 13:42

Very cool opportunity! I am glad to see you all offer assistance.

Little_Ghost_again - 11-10-2014 at 13:47

what would a replica of philip harris fermentor vessel cost? Just the glass I mean

Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philip-Harris-Lab-Fermenter-Kit-wi...

Oxirane - 11-10-2014 at 14:10

Hmm, a reactor-type glass vessel with large opening and head with multiple(3-5) ground joint sockets would be very nice!

aga - 11-10-2014 at 14:30

Try simples : 3-neck 250ml 24/29 ground glass joint RBFs

macckone - 11-10-2014 at 14:38

Soxhlet extractor with flask
and condenser might gather some interest.

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
what would a replica of philip harris fermentor vessel cost? Just the glass I mean

Like this

Thank you very much for your interest Liitle_Ghost_Again.

Looks like the vessel is typically priced at $188 USD, based on your link.

I think $70 plus shipping would be fair.

Though I can't seem to find exact specs for the piece online. It seems to be five threaded O-ring joints on top (four surrounding the central joint on top, bottom, left and right, and one central joint with a hose connection slightly under the threads.), and two on the body toward the top (one at a 45 degree angle).

Would you happen to know any specs for this piece? (height/outer diameter/inner diameter/internal pressure needs) Are there any specs. I'm not thinking of?

I hope this works out. This sounds like a very exciting project.

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 15:09

Quote: Originally posted by Oxirane  
Hmm, a reactor-type glass vessel with large opening and head with multiple(3-5) ground joint sockets would be very nice!

Thanks for your interest Oxirane! I believe we could accomplish what you are asking for in the range of $50-$70. Depending on the number of ground joints. Are you looking for something with a detachable head/flange connection?

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Thank you, aga. That helped me a great deal.

Oxirane - 11-10-2014 at 15:17

Reactor type vessel is quite like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cOPUT9rZU1E/UfYQKFqigtI/AAAAAAAAAT...

It is technically a huge test tube, which can be as simple as it is, or then very complicated and expensive piece of craftwork. The end seal can be done with PTFE gasket and two clamp rings with threads that close the apparatus, or sometimes the whole opening is just a huge ground joint, and the top unit contains the smaller joints where dropper funnels, stirrers, temp meters, vacuum adapters, distillation bridges and everything else is inserted. The vessel may contain a drain tube, so it works as a separatory funnel too. The more expensive ones contain a mantle that can be filled with liquid for cooling or heating.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/283/834/404/404834283_704.jpg

I was thinking of something in volume of 4-5 liters.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Oxirane]

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 15:27

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Soxhlet extractor with flask
and condenser might gather some interest.

This is actually a favorite project amongst students. We could probably do the whole setup for around $90-$120 plus shipping, depending on the type of condenser and size of the joints. I will get some photos of some we have done and post them in the near future.

Loptr - 11-10-2014 at 15:38

What sorts of apparatuses are you capable of producing? I interested in some larger 19/22 round bottom flasks, reflux and distillation columns, etc., and all in 19/22 standard size joints. Also, vacuum manifolds would be nice, along with boiling point and capillary tubes.

If I can get some of these cheaper from you, then why not!? I just ordered a 1L single-neck round bottom flask from UGT, and they are offering me a 2L for ~$78, which isn't the most enticing at the moment.

Texium - 11-10-2014 at 16:01

Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper? I might be able to think of something else I'd like to buy so that I wouldn't have such a tiny order, although I have almost all of the glassware that I need.
Edit: possibly an angled vacuum takeoff. I have a vertical one, but I think an angled one would be more useful to me.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by zts16]

Blue Matter - 11-10-2014 at 17:08

How much would a 24/40 500ml solvent distillation head cost me?

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 17:08

Quote: Originally posted by Oxirane  

Reactor type vessel is quite like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cOPUT9rZU1E/UfYQKFqigtI/AAAAAAAAAT...

It is technically a huge test tube, which can be as simple as it is, or then very complicated and expensive piece of craftwork. The end seal can be done with PTFE gasket and two clamp rings with threads that close the apparatus, or sometimes the whole opening is just a huge ground joint, and the top unit contains the smaller joints where dropper funnels, stirrers, temp meters, vacuum adapters, distillation bridges and everything else is inserted. The vessel may contain a drain tube, so it works as a separatory funnel too. The more expensive ones contain a mantle that can be filled with liquid for cooling or heating.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/283/834/404/404834283_704.jpg

I was thinking of something in volume of 4-5 liters.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Oxirane]

That sounds like quite the project. I think it's possible, and I would love to do it (or more than likely, find a student better at large vessels on a lathe). Though I'm having a hard time pricing this, because I really have no idea how much this would normally cost. I'm searching online, but I'm having a hard time finding something comparable. I'm going to look at a few glass catalogs, and get back to ya soon. I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about.

Blue Matter - 11-10-2014 at 17:13

Oxirane, a gasket and clamp set is around 500 dollars if you are looking at a large one.

Bikemaster - 11-10-2014 at 17:20

Just to give you an idea of the price of these type of vessels : http://glass.quarkglass.com/category/reaction-flask-2

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
What sorts of apparatuses are you capable of producing? I interested in some larger 19/22 round bottom flasks, reflux and distillation columns, etc., and all in 19/22 standard size joints. Also, vacuum manifolds would be nice, along with boiling point and capillary tubes.

If I can get some of these cheaper from you, then why not!? I just ordered a 1L single-neck round bottom flask from UGT, and they are offering me a 2L for ~$78, which isn't the most enticing at the moment.

We mainly focused on different techniques as opposed to full on products. five bends to this degree here, side seal there, 24/40 joint on the other end, that sort of thing. As far as full on components to an apparatus goes: wev'e done coil condensers, vigreux columns, Allin condensers, cold fingers, liebig condensers, and reaction arms. We are just starting manifolds and soxhlets. There are probably a few other projects we did that I'm not thinking of. We also did basic things like stir rods and test tubes.

What do you mean by "larger" 19/22 flasks? I don't really know what's common. We could probably do 2 liters for $50. Haven't tried feflux condensers, but I bet we could do them. Doesn't seem to much harder than a normal coil condenser. We could probably do those for around $80-120 depending on how big you want it and the connections to the coil. Manifolds or Schlenk lines would probably start at $80 depending on what you want. I'm not really sure what you meant by boiling point and capillary tubes. Are you looking for just raw capillary tubing?

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper? I might be able to think of something else I'd like to buy so that I wouldn't have such a tiny order, although I have almost all of the glassware that I need.
Edit: possibly an angled vacuum takeoff. I have a vertical one, but I think an angled one would be more useful to me.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by zts16]

A simple 29/42 stopper would be very possible, zts16. We could easily make that for $15 plus shipping and have it out that day. Could probably do the same for a vacuum take off. I actually really like doing those.

Praxichys - 11-10-2014 at 18:38

Can you work in quartz?

I am in need of a few quarts furnace tubes - basically just a giant test tube with a 24/40 joint on the top. They would need to be roughly 400mm total length, inside diameter ~50mm.

Dr.Bob - 11-10-2014 at 18:41

Are you interested in repairing items as well? I have a whole box of items that have various issues, eg, condensers with broken inlets, addition funnels with broken equil. tubes, a vigreux with one tip broken off, etc. I would be happy to pay to fix it, as long as I can do it for a reasonable price. Most are simple repairs. There are few glass blowers left around here, and many university staff don't do outside repairs anymore.

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 18:50

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Matter  
How much would a 24/40 500ml solvent distillation head cost me?

I've honestly never seen one of those before, Blue Matter. Looks like a fun project though. We could probably do something like that for $150 plus shipping.

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 18:56

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Can you work in quartz?

I am in need of a few quarts furnace tubes - basically just a giant test tube with a 24/40 joint on the top. They would need to be roughly 400mm total length, inside diameter ~50mm.

We sadly do not have the necessary heat to work quartz efficiently at our school facilities. Though we just took a school trip to a small quartz shop that said they would rent studio time. I will call him on Tuesday and get back to you on a price. Definitely sounds like a doable project though.

Dr.Bob - 11-10-2014 at 19:00

Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper?

Hope I am not being rude to chime in with a shameless plug, but for stock parts like stoppers, custom making those might be a bit pricey. You can buy them used or even new for not too much.

I have lots of loose stoppers in many TS# sizes and joint sizes, such as TS 8, ,9, 13, 16, 19, 22, 27, 32, and many more. They would be $1 for small, $2 for larger ones (32 and above). Those are commonly used in sep funnels, volumetric flasks, grad cyl, and other glass containers. The US postage for one stopper would be about $2-3, more than 1 would add only slightly more in shipping.

I also have 14/20, 19/22, 24/40, 29/42 and other stoppers for standard joints. They are $2 each, some are solid, some hollow, some designed as reagent bottle tops.

And lastly, I have a box full of Teflon (and a few glass) stopcocks, in most normal sizes. The most common sizes are used in sep funnels, burets, addition funnels, inlet adapters, manifolds, and more.

Also, if the glassblowing school can use any of the above, or if you have a use for a few new standard joints, valves, stopcocks, and other glassblowing parts and pieces, I would be happy to donate some to you, I have a few items like that which I cannot use. Even happier to swap them for some minor repairs :-)

Bob

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by Dr.Bob]

theglassguy - 11-10-2014 at 19:12

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Are you interested in repairing items as well? I have a whole box of items that have various issues, eg, condensers with broken inlets, addition funnels with broken equil. tubes, a vigreux with one tip broken off, etc. I would be happy to pay to fix it, as long as I can do it for a reasonable price. Most are simple repairs. There are few glass blowers left around here, and many university staff don't do outside repairs anymore.

We most certainly could do repairs! If you pack up a box good and send us some projects, we will most certainly do our best to fix them. and charge a reasonable rate. $25 for one repair, but we could probably do a big box of stuff for like $80-$100. If you could post some pictures, that would be really helpful as to asess the cost. Though I should point out that there is a certain degree of risk involved when repairing something badly broken or something that has many welds or sensitive components around it. While we certainly wouldn't charge anything if a such a piece did break while attempting to fix it, know that it's a possibility in some circumstances.

theglassguy - 12-10-2014 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Would it be possible to purchase a single 29/42 ground glass stopper?

Hope I am not being rude to chime in with a shameless plug, but for stock parts like stoppers, custom making those might be a bit pricey. You can buy them used or even new for not too much.

I have lots of loose stoppers in many TS# sizes and joint sizes, such as TS 8, ,9, 13, 16, 19, 22, 27, 32, and many more. They would be $1 for small, $2 for larger ones (32 and above). Those are commonly used in sep funnels, volumetric flasks, grad cyl, and other glass containers. The US postage for one stopper would be about $2-3, more than 1 would add only slightly more in shipping.

I also have 14/20, 19/22, 24/40, 29/42 and other stoppers for standard joints. They are $2 each, some are solid, some hollow, some designed as reagent bottle tops.

And lastly, I have a box full of Teflon (and a few glass) stopcocks, in most normal sizes. The most common sizes are used in sep funnels, burets, addition funnels, inlet adapters, manifolds, and more.

Also, if the glassblowing school can use any of the above, or if you have a use for a few new standard joints, valves, stopcocks, and other glassblowing parts and pieces, I would be happy to donate some to you, I have a few items like that which I cannot use. Even happier to swap them for some minor repairs :-)

Bob

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by Dr.Bob]

Trading some components or parts for some repairs sounds like a great idea to me, Dr. Bob. I quoted the guy a few comments back for $25 plus shipping for a small box to start, and $80 plus shipping for a big box. If you send us enough stuff to make it worth our time, we'd definitely be up for the challenge. But as I mentioned in the comment above, do know that some things can break when attempting repair (not that I would ever charge anyone for that.)

theglassguy - 12-10-2014 at 09:38

I'll send you an address, Dr. Bob. Just send us enough to make it worth it, and well send ya back some repaired goods.

Feel free to drop me a message if anyone else wants an address to trade some glass components or glass blowing parts to do some repairs.
I know I would sure like a Bunsen burner...:D
Keck clips and ring stands are nice too...

Funkerman23 - 14-10-2014 at 21:46

Would you guys prefer a dwg. file for a work order? ( drafting student here.) I am looking to have an electrochemical cell made( 2 liter or so but the bugger part is the fritted barrier) as well as a few gas mixing flasks. in any case thanks! Its nice to see someone offering to us!

theglassguy - 17-10-2014 at 06:02

Very much so, Funkerman23. We CAD is a required class for the program. If you send us the file, we could very quickly establish whether it is within our ability or not. The gas mixing flasks definitely sound feasible. my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .

Little_Ghost_again - 17-10-2014 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by theglassguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  

Like this

Thank you very much for your interest Liitle_Ghost_Again.

Looks like the vessel is typically priced at $188 USD, based on your link.

I think $70 plus shipping would be fair.

Though I can't seem to find exact specs for the piece online. It seems to be five threaded O-ring joints on top (four surrounding the central joint on top, bottom, left and right, and one central joint with a hose connection slightly under the threads.), and two on the body toward the top (one at a 45 degree angle).

Would you happen to know any specs for this piece? (height/outer diameter/inner diameter/internal pressure needs) Are there any specs. I'm not thinking of?

I hope this works out. This sounds like a very exciting project.

I will get some specs

Seems a good price...............But what about discount for say 4-5 units?
I know someone who well might be interested

NOV:5 - 17-10-2014 at 17:11

Id like a sox set as well, micro chem size 14/10, 5 bulb condenser, 100ml rbf
Some 2 & 3 neck rbf as well

Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

zenosx - 19-10-2014 at 17:34

I have a Vireux column and a liebig condenser both missing their upper joints. I have no use for them (except maybe for reflux), if you want to try repairs on them let me know the cost. (19/22)

careysub - 30-10-2014 at 15:17

The vacuum gauge thread piqued my interest.

I am looking into getting up a vacuum distillation set-up, and suitable vacuum gauges are an issue.

How about a mercury manometer?

Here is a picture of one:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=220346&...

It would just be the S-tube, with a 24/29 ST joint so that a vacuum valve could be attached.

Magpie - 30-10-2014 at 17:46

I have a buret with the tip (2-3") broken off. Could you folks repair this?

theglassguy - 23-5-2015 at 21:09

Thanks for the kudos in the other thread, Dr. Bob. I'm glad the repairs worked out for you, and I hope ya send me some more stuff to work on. I'm done with school now and have relocated back to the west coast for the time being. My schedule is much more open now should anyone else want repairs or something made. I will also be making a few example products in the next couple of weeks and posting them for sale as examples of my work. I would also like to say that I am very open to the idea of trading equipment for glass work.

theglassguy - 23-5-2015 at 23:05

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I have a buret with the tip (2-3") broken off. Could you folks repair this?

I could easily fix that for ya. $10 plus shipping and handling. Easy fix. Or if ya have anything you think I might be interested in...

theglassguy - 23-5-2015 at 23:18

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
The vacuum gauge thread piqued my interest.

I am looking into getting up a vacuum distillation set-up, and suitable vacuum gauges are an issue.

How about a mercury manometer?

Here is a picture of one:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=220346&...

It would just be the S-tube, with a 24/29 ST joint so that a vacuum valve could be attached.

This all depends on a few things, careysub.
Would you want mercury in it, or do chemists usually add it every use?
Are these all the same standard design? If so I could probably find one at the local college and measure it out, if not I would need a little more info on your specific vacuum valve...

theglassguy - 23-5-2015 at 23:21

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
I have a Vireux column and a liebig condenser both missing their upper joints. I have no use for them (except maybe for reflux), if you want to try repairs on them let me know the cost. (19/22)

I coud definitely fix those up for ya. $20/equal trade a piece plus shipping would cover it. Let me know if you would still like these fixed.

theglassguy - 23-5-2015 at 23:32

Quote: Originally posted by NOV:5  
Id like a sox set as well, micro chem size 14/10, 5 bulb condenser, 100ml rbf
Some 2 & 3 neck rbf as well

Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

I could do a whole soxset of that variety for about $85, 2 neck rbf's for $30, 3 neck rbf for $40 of that same size. Let me know if you're still interested sounds like a fun project!

Magpie - 25-5-2015 at 12:16

my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .

Is this still a valid address?

smaerd - 25-5-2015 at 15:00

Dang I had no idea this thread existed.

Ill probably open up communication with you soon enough glassguy I have some things that could use repair :).

theglassguy - 25-5-2015 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
my e-mail is ababino@studnets.salemcc.edu .

Is this still a valid address?

Glad you brought that up. It is not anymore. You can send it to my personal one ... aaronbabino@yahoo.com

theglassguy - 28-5-2015 at 23:51

Just wanted to throw it out there. I could really use some standard taper ground glass joints of varying sizes, or some manufactured hose connections if anyone is wanting to trade for some glass work. Repair or custom.

adk - 30-5-2015 at 00:45

I'm really interested in a solvent still glassware kit - 29/32 joints (prefer Duran / Pyrex / Lens glass)

The cost of Argon packed anhydrous solvents is killing me.

Let me know if you can help;
sales@argentscientific.com

Cheers,

A

theglassguy - 1-6-2015 at 23:39

Just sent you an email, adk. Hope we can work something out. That sounds like a fun project.

Bert - 2-6-2015 at 05:33

Can you fabricate one of these...

image.jpg - 238kB

theglassguy - 2-6-2015 at 11:23

That seems simple enough, Bert. Would you want all the extra components, or just the funnel? What size would you want the standard taper joints that hold everything at the top? I don't know if I could construct something to hold it though. If you're serious about this I could seek out a local machinist.

Jacob_Shin - 30-3-2016 at 18:47

How much would the simplest glass diffusion pump (do a google search) cost to make?

Dr.Bob - 31-3-2016 at 06:30

Not sure if I still have it, but I had a broken glass oil diffusion pump somewhere years ago that I put aside to try to get fixed. If you wanted to pay someone to repair it, I would sell it cheap and even ship it straight to the person fixing it to save on postage. They are not trivial to make or use. Most people just use turbo molecular pumps now, like on most mass specs. But I remember using both oil and Hg diffusion pumps in college.

Also, if theglassguy is still on here and active I have a growing pile of broken stuff to try to repair again. I have a few addition funnels with broken equil. arms and more glassware which I would love to get fixed again sometime. But I have been waiting until I get enough to bother with.