Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Free 1 g samples of single walled carbon nanotubes

Dan Vizine - 22-10-2014 at 18:06

http://ocsial.com/en/

They offer free samples of SWNTs. They probably expect the offer to go to potential customers but they don't specifically state that as a requirement. So, it's worth a shot, especially if you have a business email

violet sin - 22-10-2014 at 18:12

ordered my sample. don't know how well it is gonna go over that my business is a drywall company... LOL. but we will see :D thanks for the heads up

plante1999 - 23-10-2014 at 04:20

Your company may be specialized in Reinforcing drywall with nanotubes powder..

Great for Element Collections

careysub - 23-10-2014 at 12:46

You want to display as many forms of the pure element as you can, right?

Dan Vizine - 23-10-2014 at 12:52

Precisely why I mentioned it!

Metacelsus - 23-10-2014 at 13:49

I put in an order, using my connection with the University of Minnesota.

j_sum1 - 24-10-2014 at 00:57

Ordered some in the name of my school. I couldn't justify turning that one down.

pichoro - 24-10-2014 at 20:20

I'll probably order some for kicks, but am unsure of what I could do with it. Ideas?

Dan Vizine - 24-10-2014 at 20:36

To do much that is meaningful with materials like this usually requires a lab to support you. Research in battery electrodes, computing science, electronics, that sort of thing mostly. Although materials science people also employ them.

The short answer may be to sell it on eBay and buy something you need. Element collectors will buy it.

j_sum1 - 8-11-2014 at 00:59

Anyone heard anything more from these guys?

Metacelsus - 8-11-2014 at 05:37

Nope, nothing so far.

gdflp - 8-11-2014 at 06:45

I haven't either, I was really hoping this would work.

aga - 8-11-2014 at 13:22

Their site says that the Tuball product is 75% nanotube carbon, 10% 'carbon', and 15% catalyst.

What's the catalyst ?

It also says that it's in 50g or 100g containers.
$8.7, presumably per gramme = $435 for 50g.

Are there 49 here people willing to pay $15 for 1g of this 75% carbon nanotube stuff ?

j_sum1 - 9-11-2014 at 00:44

Yeah, if there was enough momentum, I would. Probably a couple of grams. But I would like to find out what happened to the free sample first.
J.

careysub - 9-11-2014 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Their site says that the Tuball product is 75% nanotube carbon, 10% 'carbon', and 15% catalyst.

What's the catalyst ?

It also says that it's in 50g or 100g containers.
$8.7, presumably per gramme = $435 for 50g.

Are there 49 here people willing to pay $15 for 1g of this 75% carbon nanotube stuff ?

You could start a U2U subscription list, having people sign-up in advance to help establish whether this could fly for you.

This might be a good procedure for anyone considering a similar project.

I would sign-up for a gram.

aga - 9-11-2014 at 09:35

To be honest, i'd back such a project, but would not do it myself, purely due to the difficulties of actually Posting 49 x 1g samples out (i'm in Spain).

If they're in the USA, then a USA based 'redistributor' would be better.

The $15 per g price point was to see if at a profitable level it would still be attractive.

3 takers so far including me !

Dan Vizine - 11-11-2014 at 21:07

Yes, same lack of results here. Did anyone receive a phone call as they suggested we would? I didn't. I find this surprising for a large company who clearly want to show their product to the marketplace.

j_sum1 - 11-11-2014 at 21:26

I am guessing that they got a higher response rate than they expected, chose the obvious professional lab kind of places and ignored the rest.
If we had a enough people to share an order and someone to distribute then we might get better results. Under the circumstances I would be hesitant to throw money in their direction before proper contact had been made.

aga - 11-11-2014 at 22:27

No surprises really.

They are offering free samples to try to Sell their product in quantity.

Can't complain if they prefer actual potential customers to us freeloaders.

Dan Vizine - 12-11-2014 at 05:56

Actually, they would have every reason to view my email as being from a potential client, since my company email was used and we're a gas purification company.

I'm still not convinced that there is necessarily an issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one who used a scientific businesses' email account to request a sample. Anyway, I've learned that you can never tell by an email return address if an email is important. Maybe 1 in 6 - 8 of university/industrial customers use g-mail accounts to contact us, you just never know.

I think it may just be a volume related delay. Fingers crossed.

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by Dan Vizine]

aga - 12-11-2014 at 12:30

Perhaps their Graphetron machine has gone all Bucky on them, which caused the Balls up.

Little_Ghost_again - 12-11-2014 at 14:15

They are looking mainly for volume resellers with an established customer base and the infrastructure inplace to distribute. Its not so clear from the website, and gives a slightly wonky view of what they are wanting.
The concentration at present is on the above and those are the people getting there main attention.

Not sure it matters but the above is a condensed summary of a phone call to them, I have no need for there product etc but wondered why people didnt just ask them, so I did
LG

P.S
I havnt looked them up for company profile etc as I cant be arsed, but I did get the distinct feeling they are not as super duper as they like to think. I am probably wrong of course but I spoke with there partnership manager (couldnt understand his name as we still have phone and net trouble) and he just didnt seem as polished as I expected from the web site

EDIT
Actually is anyone positive they make this stuff? I dont know why but my first gut reaction was they are resellers, I dont have shit to base that on though

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by Little_Ghost_again]

aga - 12-11-2014 at 14:23

The website is quite amateurish by modern standards.

It appears to be a rough copy of 'Windows Tile' style.

I tried it in Russian to see if the 'font error' was due to Cryllic, but no, it looks the same.

Dan Vizine - 13-12-2014 at 10:46

I'm starting to have my doubts that this will ever materialize. I mean, who would actually give samples of nanotubes out for free?

Turns out that's a rhetorical question. A start-up company called BNNT, LLC of Newport News, VA exhibited at the Fall Materials Research Society Expo. in Boston. They were giving out free samples of boron nitride nanotubes, so much better than another pen or rolled-up periodic chart!

Using a laser guided synthetic procedure, they produce SW and MW BN nanotubes. While isoelectronic with graphene nanotubes, they possess a different, and unique, set of characteristics. I'd estimate the volume of my sample to be about 1/3 of a cubic inch and it weighs 21 mg. This material can be readily spun into fibers and threads. The strength is very high, just as you'd expect.

The static charge generated on the clear plastic jar it came in is strong enough to give this ultra-light sample the ability to appear to defy gravity.

At the same conference, I saw another reference to ongoing production efforts to produce silicene.

And, even further off this thread's topic, whatever that may actually be, was the revelation that by using converging laser beams, ceramic cubes had been surgically "gutted" to leave structural members only a few layers of atoms thick. These ceramic cubes could undergo 50% linear compression and then rebound back! Flexible ceramics!

What a fascinating time to be a material scientist.

BNNT.JPG - 1.8MB

[Edited on 13-12-2014 by Dan Vizine]

mayko - 20-12-2014 at 15:07

My sample came in the mail the other day! I think that a university email helped. Also included were a couple of material samples impregnated with the tubes.

What to do with all this free stuff??

nanotubes.jpg - 188kB

nanotubes2.jpg - 244kB

gdflp - 20-12-2014 at 15:33

Did they reply to your e-mail at all when you sent it? When did you request the sample? Mine still hasn't come yet:(

aga - 20-12-2014 at 16:29

Unlikely there will be any free samples for the likes of you and me.

Perversely, things like this could end up being really damaging to their business.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a frustrated SM member finds a way to make carbon nano tube samples with better purity (75% is the current target).

zed - 28-12-2014 at 15:05

Carbonized Chicken Feathers. Yup. Very Nanotubular. Personally, I'd like to impregnate them with alternate catalysts, for hydrogenations, to take advantage of the nanofiber's high affinity for hydrogen.

Assuming a high degree of hydrogen saturation, at fairly normal pressures and temperatures,
those feather tubules might make it possible to eschew Platinum type catalysts, in favor of less expensive alternatives......Like Tungsten Carbide.

Anyway. http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/200...

Doesn't seem to be much in the current literature. But, something must be going on. And, if I had actually developed such nifty technology, I might not be talking much either.

Mailinmypocket - 12-2-2015 at 11:44

I also received the same sample kit, very cool!

image.jpg - 1.4MB

deltaH - 12-2-2015 at 12:17

That's a work of art!

Mailinmypocket - 12-2-2015 at 12:20

Yes it's quite impressive, I honestly didn't expect to get a sample either and it randomly arrived. It's amazing how voluminous one gram of the nanotubes is! Perhaps I could make some small ampoules of the nanotubes for interested members... A gram of it is a bit much when you don't really have a use for them besides to look at :P

[Edited on 13-2-2015 by Mailinmypocket]

Zombie - 12-2-2015 at 19:01

I ordered a sample today. I'll let you know what happens...

When I first joined this forum I found a thread on these Lab Armour bead samples. I ordered those, and received the sample in about ten days.
Turns out is is a product I can easily replicate, and have a good use for, ie: temperature controlled applications, container stabilization.

Metacelsus - 12-2-2015 at 19:27

I requested one a while back, and haven't heard or seen a thing since. I have received a sample of Lab Armour beads, however.

Zombie - 12-2-2015 at 21:14

There is some speculation as to the "professionalism" or motivation of the carbon tube company so I would feel it proper to add the Lab Armour company is quite impressive in their response, and follow up.

Albeit a simple water dropped alloy product... They are going the extra mile to induce a potential buyer to become a buyer. (Lab Armour)

I think I am going free sample lab-ware shopping tonight.

[Edited on 13-2-2015 by Zombie]

Mailinmypocket - 13-2-2015 at 03:50

I didn't need to provide a special email address, just my normal one. I did however say in the comments section of the sample order form that my company is currently researching new sensor materials to be used in marine/aquatic environments. Nothing detailed. Just a quick blurb. That probably helped. Make it reasonable, don't say something like you want to reinforce drywall with nanotubes lol. It also came to my residential address so no special "business address required" shenanigans going on with that either....

These kits are very nicely made with display case and even the box has magnetic closures etc, can't be that cheap to make it you are sending it out to every person who asks without at least a small reason as to why maybe? On the box the cost declared for customs is 8.70$ and postage cost almost 20$ to Canada so I can imagine it would add up quickly.

[Edited on 13-2-2015 by Mailinmypocket]

Zombie - 13-2-2015 at 18:01

Good points, and it's coincidence that I own a Marine coatings, and fabrication company so I too, explained that am looking into alternative solids to add to marine polymers.

Maybe they just like the beach there...

Here's another free sample product I found last night... http://www.thermoscientific.com/content/tfs/en/products/gene...

Scroll to the "Break The Glass Habit" section, and there is a highlighted link titled "Start Breaking the Glass Habit"
That link will take you to a little test, and you get a free sample Nalgene beaker for filling it out.

Zombie - 17-2-2015 at 22:13

Received the package today.

It is indeed an impressive display. It contains a few product samples that actually apply to what I do (marine fabrication).

There are two Carbon Fiber samples (Flat / Tube section), and what appears to be some cured epoxy samples.
Perhaps one treated w/ Carbon, and one without?

There are also two rather heavy brochures. Info packed I'm sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to update.

There might be something in this I can use if the $$$'s is right.

DutchChemistryBox - 21-2-2015 at 09:20

Today I've also received my sample.

They have put a lot of effort in the presentation. I already have some interresting experiments in mind.

For me it was the second time that I've ordered a sample. The first time (back in november) I didn't fill in a company name, so I didn't receive anything. A couple days ago I ordered a sample again, and filled in the name of our company. It only took a few days to get here.

gdflp - 27-2-2015 at 10:49

My sample arrived today. The irony is that I ordered it to a business address in November and never heard anything back, but when I ordered it to my home address(nothing commercial around for miles) I got it in a few days. In any event, as DCB said, they have put a lot of effort in the presentation.

Mailinmypocket - 6-3-2015 at 05:58

I've been playing around with nanotubes suspended in oil and in toluene. Placing a strong magnet near the vial demonstrates how they are attracted, cool effect similar to iron filings but much milder, makes a neat demo

Zombie - 6-3-2015 at 08:08

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I've been playing around with nanotubes suspended in oil and in toluene. Placing a strong magnet near the vial demonstrates how they are attracted, cool effect similar to iron filings but much milder, makes a neat demo

Now this post just lit a brain cell...

I wonder if you could induce a strong enough magnetic field to an un cured epoxide containing these type of products (nano tubes).
At the right ratios, and dimensions I am assuming that the end result could be much the same as a woven fabric in creating strength in the cured epoxide.

Maybe I'll start a thread...

The Volatile Chemist - 7-3-2015 at 15:10

Cool, I'd totally order both, but my parents wouldn't like me faking info to get the stuff, which is too bad, as it looks awesome.

Zombie - 7-3-2015 at 19:37

Where do you live Bro!

PM me an address, and I'll send my kit out to you. It's better than sitting here collecting dust. I got the inspiration I needed from it.

The Volatile Chemist - 8-3-2015 at 12:13

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
Where do you live Bro!

PM me an address, and I'll send my kit out to you. It's better than sitting here collecting dust. I got the inspiration I needed from it.

No, thanks though! It's really kind of you to say so, though! A little while ago, before you were on the forum, I had to explain to a lot of very kind people offering to send me things that I have rather strict parents suspicious of most things that originate from the 'webs'. :) I love 'em, and they have good reason for me to not acquire things from people online. I, personally am not suspicious of you, I'd most certainly trust you with my address, but I know my parents would not. But, thanks for offering to. Like you (I think it was you) said on a different thread, I won't worry about the free stuff. I have an adult friend who may be able to acquire some for his lab and give me a sample anyways, so I'm fine waiting.

Zombie - 8-3-2015 at 12:16

LOL!!!

It's all good! Just stay away from Catholics. We get into heaven just by confessing. :D

The Volatile Chemist - 8-3-2015 at 12:32

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
LOL!!!

It's all good! Just stay away from Catholics. We get into heaven just by confessing. :D

Hey, I'm non-denominational. I stated Christ died and got up to pay for my sins once and for all, and it was a one time deal. Don't have to do anything else now :)

But thanks, again, you're very generous. You remind me of arkoma, but less... prickly :)