Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ionic liquid

docberto - 1-7-2005 at 15:30

I have just received some cetylpyridinium bromide. Its melting point is around 80C, making it an "ionic liquid." Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use this solvent for? I have been considering it to electrolyze a sodium salt. Would the sodium and/or a halogen attack this solvent? I can't think of anything, but there might be something I'm forgetting. Are there any cool reactions that require ionic solvents?

sparkgap - 1-7-2005 at 22:38

Googling around says it's a "quat" (that's quaternary ammonium compound to 'ya...) that is used as a surfactant and antiseptic...

Maybe you can try if it can be used as a PTC? :D

sparky (~_~)

mykhal - 2-7-2005 at 02:59

There's a nice book on this topic, look at Amazon. A copy of it in djvu format appears somewhere on the web. If you can't find it, I can upload it to axehandle's ftp as soon as I obtain an account.

docberto - 2-7-2005 at 06:36

Yes, it is a quat. Most of the ionic liquids I can think of (imidazoliums, pyrdiniums, tetralkoniums) are. The only ones that aren't are phosphoniums. I could use it as PTC but that would be a waste since TBAB is a lot cheaper.

Chris The Great - 2-7-2005 at 20:06

I believe trimethylaluminum is considered an ionic liquid as it conducts electricity. Mp = 15 *C.

docberto - 2-7-2005 at 21:00

It doesn't seem likely that trimethylaluminum would be considered an ionic liquid. It is an organometallic compound, and I doubt the bonds have that much ionic character. I also am skeptical that it would conduct electricity. How readily would the carbanion and the aluminum cation dissociate? Electricity needs free charges. Do you have any refs?

Chris The Great - 3-7-2005 at 20:57

Well, I'm gonna have to admit I don't have a source for that because I had searched for hours before I found that looking for reaction information on methyllithium, and now I have no clue where it was from. I don't think it conducts electricity very well though, it just mentioned that it can.

However, if methyl sodium or methyl potassium are liquids they will be ionic.
http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemistry/carey/student/olc/ch14...

Unfortunately I can't find information on them, such as physical properties. Certainly an interesting group of (off-topic) compounds though.

But, organometals will not work as ionic solvents even though alot of them are liquids, as they tend to react with everything.

Available for download: Ionic liquids in synthesis (P. Wasserscheid & T. Welton)

Lambda - 4-7-2005 at 18:34

Available for download:

A nice book on "Ionic liquids in synthesis" written by P. Wasserscheid and T. Welton. This book is a good image scan in DJVU format (4.13 mb) and has 380 pages reprinted in 2002.

Ionic liquids in synthesis (P. Wasserscheid & T. Welton 2002) (4.13 mb):

http://rapidshare.de/files/2810386/Ionic_liquids_in_synthesi...