Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Styrene with kerosene? --> Polystyrene

praseodym - 27-7-2005 at 18:24

I don't understand why kerosene is needed to polymerise styrene (phenylethene). Can someone pls 'enlighten' me on that?

Quibbler - 29-7-2005 at 08:25

I don't think it is. In fact the difficulty with styrene is stopping it polymerizing. Leave it in a bottle for a few months - it won't come out again.

solo - 29-7-2005 at 17:19

Here is some infor on styrene's, which under high temp, polymerizing on it's own.........solo

Polystyrene and Styrene-copolymers
Applications, Synthesis and Kinetics

http://rapidshare.de/files/3477959/Polystyrene_and_Styrene-c...

praseodym - 30-7-2005 at 02:39

So is it true that the kerosene is TOTALLY unneeded??

praseodym - 30-7-2005 at 02:40

So it can't be an initiator for the reaction or a catalyst??

daeron - 30-7-2005 at 09:42

no way it is a initiator,my best guess is that it acts as a copolymer additive,sort of a Mw controll and maybe to help avoid the "gel effect",yknow the self accleleration thingie(ohh i need a medal for the way i express myself,lol!).the mentioned synth is a stirene polymerization in mass,right?if its a polymerisation in a solution than it acts as a solvent.

kerosene is a mixture not a pure compound and iso-alifatic and aromatic compounds dont act as initiators in any polymerization,at least i think so..

PS i havent read javas above posted links so this is maybe a doube post,or just a plain ol rant

[Edited on 30-7-2005 by daeron]

praseodym - 31-7-2005 at 09:29

By having kerosene as a copolymer, wont the end-product be a polymer made up of kerosene and styrene?? As in the product will not be polystyrene??

Furthermore, how can polymerisation lead to the gel effect??

And why is a solvent needed during polymerisation??

daeron - 31-7-2005 at 12:32

as i said i need to express myself more clearly-kerosene may act as a Mw control agent,to help avoid uncontrollable rxn rate increase,resulting in -what do you call it the same thing happens during the vulcanisation of rubber-when chains bond via = bonds to form a net-like structure,and the result is the "gel effect">extremly large Mw,extremly high viscosity,no liq state like quibbler said
Quote:
fact the difficulty with styrene is stopping it polymerizing. Leave it in a bottle for a few months - it won't come out again

a polimerization using solvents is often used when the monomer is soluble in the solvent and the polymer isnt or vice versa.if i remember correctly polystyrene can be synth using polymerization in mass,solvent,emulsion,suspension...hmm did i miss one?
its so weird talking about chemistry not related to peas or tryps online...

anyways my guess its used as a solvent since its composition isnt constant,could you post the link to the procedure so we can clear it up? whats the mech of the mentioned polymerization-free radical,kation,anion?

praseodym - 31-7-2005 at 23:28

This is the only puicture given to me (look at attachment). And i was asked what is the use of the kerosene.

Attachment: Styrene + kerosene.doc (24kB)
This file has been downloaded 805 times

praseodym - 31-7-2005 at 23:30

But i do agree on your point of view that the kerosene is mostly used as a Mw control agent or a solvent.

praseodym - 7-8-2005 at 05:22

Now i have added a new attachment which is clearer and more accurate and specific than the previous one.

The question goes like this:
In a polymerisation reaction, about 10cm3 of styrene and kerosene are mixed and refluxed for 45 to 60 mins using the set-up illustrated in the attachment. The temperature will be about 150 degrees Celsius. After cooling, the reaction mixture is poured into about 5 times its own volume of methanol. A waxy white solid was formed under the surface of the methanol. But my question would be what is the use of using kerosene and the 'methanol treatment'?

Attachment: StyreneKerosene.doc (26kB)
This file has been downloaded 768 times