Sciencemadness Discussion Board

picramic acid from picric

Pages:  1  2  

prometheus1970 - 24-1-2011 at 09:11

I'd really prefer to avoid any disonsety like the plague when pursuing this hobby. I fear that, should it come up, the fact that I lied aboutsomething is more likely to make me look like a criminal (somebody with evil intent rather than just somebody who intends to break the law, because it should not apply to those without ill intent). If my honesty precludes me from obtaining certain things, then I'll look to another primary to synthesize.

Speaking of which, I just read Mr. Anonymous' thread on azo clathrates and he described that as an OTC synth l don't know of where to get azides for that synthesis, so how is it OTC?

hissingnoise - 24-1-2011 at 09:43

Yeah, I know the feeling . . .
But if the honest approach drives you to experiment with unsafe materials then it'll be misplaced honesty!

http://www.readyreagents.co.uk/epages/es115347.sf/en_GB/?Obj...
http://www.readyreagents.co.uk/epages/es115347.sf/en_GB/?Obj...

markgollum - 24-1-2011 at 09:54

I have been reading about all the many things that people have been trying and proposing to get picramic acid.
I was once in a similar position, I had tried several experiments with ascorbic acid for example. I did not try the sodium hydroxide/sulfur reaction since it had so many poor reviews at the E&W. Eventually I decided that I was going to do it right and use Na2S and that was that. The options that I felt I had were as follows:

(1) Reduce sodium sulfate with carbon at 900-1000 C (could be done in steel plumbing pipe. If it is galvanized be sure to dissolve the Zinc with HCl first).

(2) Reduce CaSO4 with carbon at 900-1100C then react the CaS with Na2CO3 in a solvent.

(3) Bubble H2S through NaOH in some solvent ( methanol comes to mind, you want to eliminate water as much as possible since it is virtually impossible to properly dry the Na2S)

I ended up buying the Na2S before I tried the above options, and I must say that the classical sodium picramate synthesis is wonderful and produces a beautiful, pure, free flowing product from which high quality DDNP can be made.

I eventually did try to produce Na2S via method 2 above. The carbon reduction went well but just takes time, an advantage is that any unconverted gypsum is insoluble and can be easily filtered out with the excess/unreacted carbon. However, in the metatheses reaction with aqueous sodium carbonate the sulphide solution is fairly rapidly oxidized by the air turning yellow. I attempted to get by this by just working quickly and while I was able to get some hydrate of sodium sulphide, I did not titrate it. I tried to run the reaction in methanol and could not get is to go, despite running it under magnetic stirring for a month.

I think that directly reducing sodium sulfate would be easy to do, it has the advantage of directly producing an anhydrous product that is easily soluble in methanol allowing separation from reactants. (Anhydrous Na2S is quite soluble in methanol, Na2SO4 and hydrated Na2S are not)

Option 3 would only have been done as a last resort as the risks inherent with handling largish volumes of a fairly pure H2S gas stream are not to be taken lightly.

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by markgollum]

Rosco Bodine - 24-1-2011 at 10:23

H2S is easy to produce either by acidifying a sulfide/polysulfide or possibly by heating paraffin and sulfur together...and this could be used as in your scheme #3
or similar scheme. However, the sulfide route is one of many different methods which could work.

With regards to azides, sodium azide is itself producible via OTC materials.
The particulars for that have been described more than once in discussions
here and elsewhere. If I can search and locate those discussions for posting
a link here, then so can other people search and find. It has been an idea
of mine for a long time that some folks need to do a lot more reading before
they post to avoid covering things already covered before. Spoonfeeding gets old
and it just leads to more and more indulgence while the level of discussion
is not advanced. Reverse engineering has already been done, seek and ye shall find.

nitro-genes - 24-1-2011 at 15:24

Many thanks for the ideas about producing sodium sulphide Markgollum! I will surely give the carbon reduction of gypsum a try one day. It is good to know that producing (presumably) high purity picramic acid is possible using Na2S. The polysulphide reduction (NaOH and S) never gave good results, either with homemade nitrite, (Lead+NaNO3 --> CO2) or reagent grade nitrite. The step to produce Na2S myself however was too much for me, given the substantial danger of working with H2S and the uncertanty whether the picramic acid was the problem or the diazotization itself. :)

[Edited on 24-1-2011 by nitro-genes]

markgollum - 24-1-2011 at 21:10

I would actually prefer to directly reduce sodium sulfate for the following reasons.

1) After extraction of fused product with methanol then boiling down the Na2S would be obtained in a fairly anhydrous form.

2) The reaction occurs in the liquid phase and would presumably be faster.

3) A lot more product could be produced.

One possible problem is that the carbon dust could float up to the top of the melt.
If this happens then it should be no problem to add so much carbon that the melt is more of a paste than than a liquid. The extra carbon should also reduce the strength of the fused product making is easier to chip/hammer it out of the pipe.
One possible idea would be to melt and carbonize a mixture of sugar and Na2SO4 in a pan then use the black lumps in the pipe.
Of course you would want to prevent oxygen from the air from entering the pipe. One setup which I have applied in making calcium cyanamide (I haven't characterized the cyanamide, but I basically followed the method Rosco has described: converting cyanuric acid to a sodium salt then precipitating the calcium salt) in a pipe is in threading a short 6" section of steel air brake line to the top end cap. I stand the pipe up in my electric furnace allowing the steel air brake line to protrude from a hole in the lid, this allows me to keep track of the reaction progress by lighting "flaring" the evolving gasses (if excess cyanuric acid is used, it sublimes and can plug the tube so I keep a torch handy to heat the tube as well as a stiff steel wire I can use to check for blockages).

papaya - 16-12-2013 at 13:21

Thread seems old, anyway I want to ask if reduction of PA with oxalic acid will work yield picramate in boiling basic solution? This thought came to me as I expect oxalic acid to decarboxylate on heating(basic solutions promote that, isn't it?) to give HCOOH which may be able to do the work. Sorry, no real references can I provide, since searching on reductions with oxalic(or salts) gave nothing very interesting, except maybe unrelated this: http://pcat.cat.hokudai.ac.jp/document/pdf/NTB2009.pdf

roXefeller - 17-12-2013 at 14:32

I was under the impression that the reduction required a basic solution to prevent over reduction to triaminophenol, hence the neutralization to picrates and scorbates that were discussed earlier. If so, then an oxalate salt would be required.

papaya - 18-12-2013 at 06:15

Reading several papers it turns out that aromatic nitro reductions can yield different products depending on conditions and reducing agents. This paper (final pages missing) http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=215569&...
"The Alkaline Reduction of Aromatic Nitro Compounds with Glucose" Though the paper starts with
"The fact that aromatic nitro compounds may be reduced by glucose in alkaline solution was apparently first discovered in 1865 by Braun who found that on heating an alkaline glucose solution with picric acid a red color developed, which he believed was due to the formation of picramic acid."
it doesn't give any information if that was further confirmed, and their own findings indicate that glucose reduces nitro aromatics to azo- and azoxy- compounds (coupling).
Same conclusions from book "FUNDAMENTAL PROCESSES OF
DYE CHEMISTRY", see chapter "reducion in general" it states "Reduction by glucose and alkali is used only in a very special field: the
reduction of nitro compounds to azoxy and azo compounds."

On the bright side, "THE REDUCTION OF SOME NITROBENZENES WITH ASCORBIC ACID"
http://dergiler.ankara.edu.tr/dergiler/31/1438/16170.pdf
it states that dinitrophenol is partially reduced to amino- nitrophenol with ascorbic acid, alkali and FeSO4 catalyst, I think that's going to work also with PA.

What are your thought, especially on glucose - may it be that reaction with PA still yields picramic acid, regardless how differently glucose gives azoxy- compound in other cases (though were with mono nitro), because sombody spoke here about blood(urine) sugar tests based on reaction with PA if I remember correctly.
How do you people confirm that what you got is what you intended to get?

[Edited on 18-12-2013 by papaya]

Hennig Brand - 27-1-2014 at 14:10

I have been reading about DDNP for about 6 years now, off and on, and it has always seemed sort of illusive. Reading posts here and from the old Rogue science forum it was clear that the big problem was obtaining a suitable reducing agent. The most common and effective selective reducing agents seem to be sodium sulfide, sodium hydrosulfide and ammonium sulfide. After reading one of the excerpts from an early twentieth century chemistry book posted on this forum, I decided to try generating hydrogen sulfide gas and bubble it through a sodium hydroxide solution in order to obtain sodium sulfide or hydrosulfide. The method involves heating a mixture of low volatility hydrocarbon with sulfur. In this case Vaseline was used, but I have seen examples where paraffin was specified. A pdf of the excerpt is also attached at the end of this post.

I have taken a lot of pictures, which should do most of the explaining. A Vaseline and sulfur mixture was put in a mason jar, which had a perfect hole cut in its top to accept a rubber stopper. A piece of mild steel brake line was used to lead and cool the hot gas from the generator to the clear vinyl tubing and bubbler at the other end. An aquarium air stone or bubbler was used as the diffuser.

Safety was of utmost importance, as very small amounts of this gas can kill you. It was a very cold (-20C) and breezy day. The generator was outside and I was inside, behind a glass door that is reasonable airtight, controlling the power to the hotplate remotely with a variac (variable auto transformer).

I increased the power to the hotplate gradually over the course of 30 minutes or so until a fairly steady, but slow, stream of bubbles was coming from the diffuser. I didn't increase the power to the hotplate at this point because I believed slower production was safer. After an hour and a half I was forced to stop as the sulfide/hydroxide solution started to freeze and the diffuser also froze which filled the backyard with H2S stink for 10-15 minutes. It was such a cold day, however, that no one was outside anywhere near where I was operating which was fortunate. Judging by the volume increase at least 3/4 of the sodium hydroxide was converted to sulfide. According to Wiki the yellow colour of the solution is from polysulfide contamination.

The last picture shows the reactants which were to be used for the following partial reduction producing sodium picramate. The sodium (hydro)sulfide solution is on the left and picric acid made (days ago) from aspirin is on the right.

Simple and Cheap Sealed Vessel.jpg - 402kB H2S Bubbler or Diffuser.jpg - 231kB Hydrogen Sulfide Generator.jpg - 414kB Hydrogen Sulfide Bubbling.jpg - 419kB Near End.jpg - 407kB Variac or Variable Auto Transformer.jpg - 413kB Hydrogen Sulfide or Hydrosulfide Solution.jpg - 431kB Reactants for TNP Reduction.jpg - 204kB

Attachment: Hydrogen Sulfide Gas Preparation_prothiere1903_abstract.pdf (100kB)
This file has been downloaded 866 times

[Edited on 27-1-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Hennig Brand - 27-1-2014 at 15:14

Next, a reduction of the ortho nitro group of picric acid, the one in the 2 position, was performed. Five grams of picric acid (from ASA) was dissolved in a methanol-water solution and neutralized with sodium hydroxide. The solution was made from about 75% methanol and 25% water by volume.

I found a page with the reaction equations, going from TNP to DDNP, which was part of a Chinese primary explosives presentation. I have included a jpg of that reaction equations page, as well as a link to the whole presentation.

http://www.cecd.umd.edu/documents/presentations/Hong-Kong/Yi...

The article I was reading when I performed the reduction is attached, and was also found on this forum. I believe Rosco posted it. I didn't follow it accurately unfortunately, because of not knowing the process well and being distracted. The reaction time was much longer than recommended by the article and it took me a long time to get the temperature up to where it should have been. I also was unsure of the concentration of my previously prepared sulfide solution and I am sure I didn't use enough. A ferrous sulphate solution was used to test for reaction completion, but in retrospect it was obvious that the endpoint hadn't been reached. I obtained about a 60% yield, and the article reported yields in some cases in the high 90's. I still have at least 3/4 of my sulfide solution, so I will try again.

The colour change going through the reduction reaction is really very beautiful. The product in the last picture is (or should be) sodium picramate.

Conversion of the sodium picramate to picramic acid was easily accomplished by dissolving it in water and acidulating with sulfuric acid. Pictures of the picramic acid produced, as well as the DDNP produced from it, will be shown in the DDNP thread.

DDNP from Picric Acid Reaction Equations.jpg - 53kB Ferrous Sulphate Solution.jpg - 314kB Reduction 1.jpg - 256kB Reduction 2.jpg - 254kB Reduction 3.jpg - 235kB Reduction 4.jpg - 236kB Reduction 5.jpg - 236kB Sodium Picramate (1).jpg - 282kB Sodium Picramate (2).jpg - 226kB

Attachment: Picramic Acid using Sodium (Hydro)Sulfide J[1]. Chem. Soc., 1945, 663 - 665,.pdf (344kB)
This file has been downloaded 1584 times

[Edited on 27-1-2014 by Hennig Brand]

roXefeller - 27-1-2014 at 16:23

"According to Wiki the yellow colour of the solution is from polysulfide contamination."

I've been told that sulfur contamination is detrimental, and you've gotten around that by going for H2S. Do you know what effect the polysulfides would have on the final DDNP?

Hennig Brand - 27-1-2014 at 17:17

I think the polysulfide contamination is only present in very small quantities. The yellow colour gradually developed after an hour and a half of bubbling hydrogen sulfide into the sodium hydroxide solution. I believe a lot of lab grade solutions have a slight yellow tinge to them for the same reason. If it was absolutely pure it would be clear, from what I have read.

roXefeller - 27-1-2014 at 18:51

I can vouch for the yellow color of lab grade stuff. I have tech grade Na2S.3H2O and it forms slightly yellow solutions.

Hennig Brand - 27-1-2014 at 20:00

Actually after reading a bit more, it seems that sodium hydrosulfide is easily converted to polysulfides by oxygen. There could be more polysulfides in that solution than I thought. There is a very good chance that I converted a lot of the sodium hydroxide all the way to sodium hydrosulfide.

From Wiki page on sodium sulfide:

"Sodium sulfide is the chemical compound with the formula Na2S, or more commonly its hydrate Na2S·9H2O. Both are colorless water-soluble salts that give strongly alkaline solutions. When exposed to moist air, Na2S and its hydrates emit hydrogen sulfide, which smells like rotten eggs. Some commercial samples are specified as Na2S·xH2O, where a weight percentage of Na2S is specified. Commonly available grades have around 60% Na2S by weight, which means that x is around 3. Such technical grades of sodium sulfide have a yellow appearance owing to the presence of polysulfides. These grades of sodium sulfide are marketed as 'sodium sulfide flakes'. Although the solid is yellow, solutions of it are colorless."

From Wiki page on sodium hydrosulfide:

"Solutions of HS− are sensitive to oxygen, converting mainly to polysulfides, indicated by the appearance of yellow."

Hennig Brand - 29-1-2014 at 15:33

Just so it's clear, the green solution in the second picture above is slightly acidic aqueous ferrous sulphate. It was used as an indicator in order to test for the presence of sulfide. A little of the reduction reaction mixture was extracted with a pipette from time to time and placed in a small beaker, to which a little ferrous sulphate solution was added. A black precipitate of iron sulfide would show that the reduction was complete and that there was unreacted sulfide in the reaction mixture. Obviously waiting a certain length of time after a sulfide addition before doing the test is required.

Fe2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3 Na2S (aq) ---> 3 Na2SO4 (aq) + Fe2S3 (s)

The ferrous sulphate solution was prepared by dissolving fine steel wool in dilute sulfuric acid.

[Edited on 30-1-2014 by Hennig Brand]

roXefeller - 29-1-2014 at 18:39

I was thinking just now, 'gee what about the excess NaOH in the reducing solution that you failed to neutralize, what will happen when it enters the reduction reaction'. Its a good thing actually because the picric acid will over-reduce if done in an acidic solution. The sodium picrate is formed to allow an alkaline solution for the reaction, using excess NaOH. I love it when a plan comes together.

Hennig Brand - 30-1-2014 at 02:37

I am pretty sure all, or most, of the NaOH was converted to at least sodium sulfide and probably mostly to sodium hydrosulfide actually. I didn't actually test it, just judging by the quantities needed to reduce a give quantity of picric acid and the color of its solution, etc. Yeah, that was my thought too, that a little extra NaOH in the reaction mixture wouldn't be a problem most likely.

UnintentionalChaos - 1-2-2014 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by Hennig Brand  
I am pretty sure all, or most, of the NaOH was converted to at least sodium sulfide and probably mostly to sodium hydrosulfide actually. I didn't actually test it, just judging by the quantities needed to reduce a give quantity of picric acid and the color of its solution, etc. Yeah, that was my thought too, that a little extra NaOH in the reaction mixture wouldn't be a problem most likely.

S-2, much like oxide does not properly exist in solution. In solution, it exists as equimolar HS- and OH-.

Sodium Picramate - Experimental

Hennig Brand - 4-2-2014 at 08:27

Some more sodium picramate was made and this time greater care was used to record some of the reaction conditions and quantities used. This process is not optimized and neither are the quantities used.

Five grams of picric acid (from ASA), of greater than 98% purity as indicated by melting point, was dissolved in 100 mL of methanol and heated to 50-55C. Sodium hydroxide (0.9g) was dissolved in 20 mL of water and with stirring was slowly poured into the alcoholic picric acid solution neutralizing the picric acid and forming sodium picrate. While maintaining the temperature of the reaction mixture between 50-55C, sodium (hydro)sulfide solution was pipetted in, with magnetic stirring, a mL at a time over the course of 20-30 minutes. The sodium (hydro) sulfide solution was made by bubbling hydrogen sulfide gas through an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide. Four grams of sodium hydroxide was used for the solution. The amount of Vaseline and sulfur placed in the H2S generator was at least 50% more than would be needed if all H2S was absorbed and converted to dissolved sulfide salt. The volume of sodium (hydro)sulfide solution obtained was ~45mL. About 15 mL was used to reduce the 5g of sodium picrate to sodium picramate. Ferrous sulfide solution was used to test for reduction reaction completion. After the last sulfide addition, heating was maintained for an additional 10-15 minutes and then the heating was stopped and the reaction mixture allowed to cool. Once the reaction mixture had cooled to about 40C, about 75 mL of ice cold water was added and the beaker was set into an ice-water bath and cooled very quickly to 10C or below. The sodium picramate was then filtered out and washed with small quantities of ice cold water.

From 5g of picric acid, 3.8g of sodium picramate was obtained or about a 79% yield. My last experiment produced only a 60% yield. The biggest difference between the two experiments was that the first experiment used less methanol and more water as the reaction solvent/medium. A little greater care was also used when testing for reaction completion, though I am not sure I really got it right yet. There is a lag time, governed by the reaction time, between when the reducing agent is added and when it is consumed.

Sodium Picramate.jpg - 256kB

[Edited on 4-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 4-2-2014 at 10:36

The absence of any sulfur as a trace impurity would be desirable, particulaly for a DDNP destined to be mixed with chlorate since sulfur and chlorate are a bad storage stability, known incompatability. This is one reason why alternative means of reduction were examined.

roXefeller - 4-2-2014 at 15:44

Are you implying that the sodium(hydrogen)sulfide isn't appropriate for this reduction? It seems to isolate the sulfur from the reaction.

Hennig Brand - 4-2-2014 at 19:49

I think he is referring to some of the non sulfide reducing agents that have been experimented with. The mixed polysulfide reducing material (made the cookbook ways from sodium hydroxide and sulfur) is apparently bad for producing a lot of sulfur contamination. I tried the cookbook method a few years back, but it didn't work for me. I don't think that sulfur contamination would be much of a concern with the sodium (hydro) sulfide solution of reasonable purity. My H2S gas generator and absorption setup is a joke though. It does work, but the gas could be cleaned before it got to the bubbler and a lot could be done to improve safety and improve absorption of the gas.

I have made enough chlorate/sulfur/aluminum crackers to know that chlorate and sulfur are not at all storage stable. Small amounts decomposing in storage don't ignite or anything (that I have seen), they just degrade in a matter of weeks to a state where performance is severely diminished.

[Edited on 5-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

reduction of styphnic acid with tin chloride

dave321 - 5-2-2014 at 07:35

on a similar note to the reduction of picric acid, why in the following patent would the use of tin chloride be preferred to the sodium sulphide approach used for picric acid ?

Attachment: USE OF TIN CHLRIDE FOR REDUCTION.pdf (240kB)
This file has been downloaded 884 times

Rosco Bodine - 5-2-2014 at 12:25

There is an inevitable sulfur impurity and diaminonitrophenol impurity in the picramic acid produced by a sulfide reduction. That is why purification schemes have been used for the picramic acid to free it from such impurities. Other reduction schemes for producing picramic acid from ammonium picrate or sodium picrate using other reducing agents are probably superior in terms of avoiding the impurities. Many reducing schemes not involving sulfides can likely be used so long as the reduction is carried out at a temperature and pH that favors the production of picramate, meaning mild temperatures and alkaline reaction systems.

Alternate possible reduction schemes would include sodium ascorbate, ferrous sulfate, manganous sulfate, sodium bisulfite, zinc powder or zinc amalgam, aluminum amalgam, iron filings, magnesium turnings, possibly formaldehyde or hydrazine, or electrolytic reduction.

The hydroxy DDNP analogue of US4246052 attached again here and its salt forming ability looks interesting and promising. The hydroxy DDNP may be subject to forming azide and hydrazine derivatives similarly as does DDNP which could increase its energy even further. Interesting how the hydroxy picramic acid may be obtained from a reduction of styphnic acid in acidic medium, because it may follow the same track and be more easily reducible in alkaline medium, as does occur for the reduction of a picrate to a picramate.

Attachment: GB412460 Lead Dintrophenylazide.pdf (331kB)
This file has been downloaded 875 times

Attachment: GB406228 Lead Dintrophenylazide.pdf (172kB)
This file has been downloaded 872 times

Attachment: US2728760 Kenney , hydrazine derivative lead salt of DDNP.pdf (124kB)
This file has been downloaded 803 times

Attachment: US4246052 SnCl2 reduction of Styphnic Acid and DDNP analogue therefrom.pdf (240kB)
This file has been downloaded 818 times

[Edited on 5-2-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 5-2-2014 at 13:59

The sulfides are what are typically used though aren't they? From the little bit I have seen there has been a lot of trouble getting other reducers and methods to work as easily or reliably as the sulfide ones. Using that sulfide solution seemed so simple and straight forward compared to everything I have read about here and on the old Rogue Sci forum. It is worthwhile to experiment with alternatives though, that's for sure.

If the amount of sulfur contamination is very small is it still much of a problem? Is the sulfur hard to remove during recrystallization processes?

Rosco Bodine - 5-2-2014 at 14:17

The references are obscure and I have been looking for more information. But the reaction using sulfide reduction does produce byproduct impurities and it is an original or early method upon which there is likely to be possible improvement. The level of impurities ultimately in the DDNP and what are the effects is unknown. It may or may not make any difference whether the reduction is done using sulfide or using another method.

Attachment: Page 45 Picramic Acid article Color_Trade_Journal_Vol_1.pdf (209kB)
This file has been downloaded 780 times

Attachment: Pages from The Chemical Gazette.pdf (179kB)
This file has been downloaded 613 times

The attachment for the Chemical Gazette article was giving me some difficulty as an attachment because the file name was too long. I have edited it and reattached the article which is described more in my earlier post a couple of pages back in this thread linked here
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=433&am...

It seems to me based on the Gazette article and the German language article page 9 charts posted on the first page of the thread by Axt, that ferrous sulfate could be used for the reduction of either ammonium or sodium picrate in aqueous solution, and that if the reduction was carried out in the presence of iron filings, it would allow for a more concentrated reaction mixture. What should occur is that the ferrous sulfate would be oxidized to ferric sulfate byproduct as it reduced the soluble picrate to soluble picramate, but the ferric sulfate would then react with the free elemental iron and be reduced right back to the ferrous sulfate which would again react with the soluble picrate. So the ferrous sulfate would be a continually regenerated reducing agent formed from the ferric salt in contact with elemental iron. Ferric Chloride would accomplish the same thing and the presence of chloride may even be better if the chloride facilitates depolarization of the iron so it is in better contact with the solution that is reacting. The iron filings I believe would ultimately be converted to the black oxide as an inert insoluble by product. Diluting and heating and filtering the hot reaction mixture of the insoluble byproducts, and then acidifying should precipitate pure picramic acid on cooling. Zinc or aluminum or magnesium metal filings or their amalgams may work equally well or better in the same general scheme for reduction. Probably a manganese or copper salt could also work in similar way as the iron salt as a regenerable reducing agent being regenerated by contact with the iron or zinc or aluminum or magnesium which would reduce the higher oxidation state of that salt to the lower oxidation state where it would react again reducing unreacted picrate to picramate. The process described in the German language article attached by Axt on the first page stated that for a 6 hour reaction the yield of picramate was 100% so the reaction should go to completion and the resulting picramic acid end product should be pure.

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 6-2-2014 at 12:15

I am not yet getting anywhere near 100% yields with the method I am using, but I believe my picramate is very pure given the yields of DDNP obtained from it. A melting point could easily be taken, to determine purity, but my melting point apparatus is not close enough to get to for the next little while.

The sulfur contamination issue made me remember something I forgot to point out earlier. During the hydrogen sulfide gas generation process there was some sulfur sublimation and deposition going on. You can see it in the attached picture. There was no evidence that the sulfur made it past the cold steel tube, however, as even after 1.5 hours the vinyl tubing between the steel tubing and the diffuser/bubbler was perfectly clear showing no signs of deposited sulfur. Ambient temperature was about minus 200C, of course, which would have really helped keep the sulfur vapor from traveling very far in the steel tube.

Hydrogen Sulfide Generator.jpg - 386kB

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 6-2-2014 at 13:03

One thing you can recognize from the early literature circa mid 19th century describing the sulfide reduction is that the picramic acid had not yet been correctly identified structurally nor its formula been written correctly, nor had even the name picramic acid yet been designated for the material as was done by Girard. Girard reviewed the technology and described his own method for avoiding the use of sulfide for the reduction, so it would seem that it was a pursuit of an improved synthetic method which was reasonably a motivation for Girard who reasonably would not have been striving to improve upon already achieved perfection. I don't know for certain but it just seems reasonable that Girard would have been describing what was believed by himself to be an improvement to the means of making the compound picramic acid which he named. It is probably a simpler method and produces a higher yield of purer product without having to deal with a toxic and unpleasant reagent which produces a less pure product by a more difficult route.

Hennig Brand - 6-2-2014 at 13:27

I can see how producing picramic acid by an alternate method would be important for Girard even if it wasn't a superior method. His method may still be very good, or superior even, I don't know.

I am now curious as to how the military makes theirs. That would likely be very telling.

Not surprisingly I am having difficulty finding information about commercial processes for picramic acid and DDNP production. I found the information below from the following website. Not sure if the information is reliable though, meaning these may not be the processes used industrially.

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=4921...

"Use and Manufacturing

Methods of Manufacturing
•REDUCTION OF 2,4,6-TRINITROPHENOL WITH SODIUM HYDROSULFIDE

•Prepd from picric acid, concentrated NH4OH, & H2S followed by acetic acid neutralization of ammonium salt. Prepn of ammonium salt from picric acid, aq NH3-soln, & ammonium sulfide."

I may do a little more digging. I would like to know more about commercial production.

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 6-2-2014 at 23:01

On page 1 fourth post up from the bottom of the page Axt
posted about the work of Lyons and Smith who reported yields of 100% using regenerable ferrous chloride derived from a catalytic amount of Ferric Chloride and iron filings.
It is on page 9 of the pdf that Axt attached.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=47358&a...

You can't do better than 100% yield and have to be doing something right for that to happen.

I have looked for any English language version of the paper which was about work done by American chemists at an American university, even though it was published in a German journal. I am not finding any copublication of the article in English.

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 17-2-2014 at 09:56

The following came out of a college or university level lab manual. The lab manual has a series of hydrogen sulfide experiments. A pdf of the whole manual is attached below as well.

"Experiment C. Reaction between H2S (g) and NaOH (aq). Hydrogen sulfide reacts readily with 6 M NaOH. The reaction is:

H2S(g) + NaOH(aq)-> NaHS(aq) + H2O(l)

1. Pour 25 mL 6 M NaOH into a 150 mL beaker. Use the H2S(g) that remains from Experiments A and B or prepare a fresh syringeful of H2S as described above. It is unnecessary to wash the gas for this experiment.
2. Remove the latex syringe cap from the H2S-filled syringe, and suction a few millilitres of NaOH(aq) into the syringe. Hydrogen sulfide reacts instantaneously with the NaOH(aq). The plunger may move rapidly inward and/or the NaOH solution will be drawn rapidly into the syringe. The reaction is so rapid, it could be surprising. The beaker is used because the beaker walls will contain any splashed NaOH(aq). This solution can be slowly discarded down the drain with large amounts of water. If possible, use a sink in the hood and wear gloves."

It seems I was making some wrong assumptions earlier in this thread. Sodium hydrosulfide is what I think is produced exclusively by bubbling hydrogen sulfide into a sodium hydroxide solution, even though many webpages say that it is sodium sulfide. It is also nice to know that hydrogen sulfide is converted almost instantly on contact with the sodium hydroxide solution. I am much less nervous to make sodium hydrosulfide solutions now. If made in small quantities, done outside and using a little common sense the risks are manageable. However, one should probably arrange to be somewhere else when the gas generator is producing. I used twice as much sodium hydroxide and water this time, because I wanted more sodium hydrosulfide and twice the column height meant much greater contact time between the hydrogen sulfide and the sodium hydroxide solution (though it may not matter much).

Also attached is the first page of the section on Sodium Hydrosulfide from "The Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology". I just took a picture of it with my phone and attached it as a jpg. I might get a better scan of the whole section later. From reading the sodium hydrosulfide and sodium sulfide sections, bubbling hydrogen sulfide gas into a sodium hydroxide solution is the process used to make sodium hydrosulfide not sodium sulfide.

Attached is a picture of about 90mL of sodium hydrosulfide solution freshly prepared. It is a little cloudy this time which is different than last time. A little sulphur vapor made it over into the solution maybe.

Attachment: H2S Hydrogen Sulfide Experiments.pdf (150kB)
This file has been downloaded 994 times

Sodium Hydrosulfide Page from Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology.jpg - 498kB

Sodium Hydrosulfide Preparation.jpg - 413kB About 90 mL of Sodium Hydrosulfide Solution.jpg - 325kB

The sodium hydroxide solution, which H2S was bubbled into, was about 80 mL and contained 8g of sodium hydroxide (about a 2.5 molar solution of sodium hydroxide).

[Edited on 18-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 17-2-2014 at 23:41

If you want to go with the sulfide reduction method then there is some useful solubility and reaction data in US2346550 Production of concentrated sodium hydrosulphide solutions

Attachment: US2346550 Production of concentrated sodium hydrosulphide solutions.pdf (725kB)
This file has been downloaded 656 times

Hennig Brand - 18-2-2014 at 05:20

Thanks, so according to that patent sodium sulfide is formed first and then converted to sodium hydrosulfide. Other methods may be better than the sulfide reduction method, it's just that I am familiar with it now and I know it works.

Also, I hope I didn't trivialize the dangers associated hydrogen sulfide gas in my last post. Hydrogen sulfide gas can be handled with reasonable safety, but it is a very serious poison and in very small doses. The last two times and made the sulfide solution, I was very careful, however, at the end when disassembling the apparatus I ended up breathing in a small amount of the diluted gas. It was just enough to make my throat a bit soar and my eyes irritated and make me feel a little off. It takes several days for the symptoms to completely go away too. I contacted a safety equipment company in my area and a gas mask with cartridges for H2S can be had for less than $50 (half mask), or about $100 for full face coverage. The gas masks are rated "escape", which means don't hang out in a poison gas area, but it would still provide some protection when disassembling the H2S generator apparatus.

The effects on my body of inhaling even tiny amounts of diluted H2S really emphasize how serious a poison H2S really is.

roXefeller - 18-2-2014 at 17:42

Something they teach at fire academy is olfactory fatigue. A strong dose of H2S can actually overwhelm your senses. Such that you go back into the plume thinking it has cleared. But really you'll just die cause you can't smell it.

papaya - 19-2-2014 at 00:55

Hennig, why do you generate H2S first and then dissolve it into base, instead of directly dissolving sulfur in NaOH? Is it because you get purer hydrosulfide instead of polysulfides+thiosulfate mixture?

Ideas For Reducing The Poisoning Risk Associated With Hydrogen Sulfide Generation

Hennig Brand - 19-2-2014 at 06:10

Apart from dealing with toxic H2S, the process is very straightforward giving high yields and, yes, a very pure product. From what I have read it seemed like the best option to obtain a high purity sulfide reducing agent. Hydrogen sulfide is extremely poisonous, though, and I won't be doing this again until I have found or developed a little better process. I still have a bit of a sore throat, and feel a little unhealthy, and that is from fairly mild exposure close to 2 days ago. Very dangerous stuff indeed!

In the absence of a good fume hood a strong electrical fan could be placed just over the generator as it was disassembled. What would be even better would be to have the type of blower fan that connects to large flexible air hose so that the H2S gas could be lead safely away from the work area during disassembly. With a decent fan, and maybe also a H2S rated gas mask, disassembling the gas generator would be much safer.

Ok, I think I have a simple yet effective solution to the poisoning by gas generator disassembly problem. Hydrogen sulfide is fairly soluble in water (ca. 0.12 mol/l or 4.1g/l at 200C & ca.0.15 mol/l or 5.1 g/l at 100C). Values taken from "The solubility of gases in distilled water and seawater-V. Hydrogen Sulfide", by A.A. Douabul and J.P.Riley

The volume of hydrogen sulfide in the glass mason jar used was about 450mL (or less) and was not under pressure. Using the simple 22.4 L/mol rule for ideal gases at STP, it was found that the mason jar could contain as much as 0.02 moles or about 0.68g of H2S. Given that 170 mL of water at 200C can absorb that amount of hydrogen sulfide, a 2 gallon bucket of cool water would absorb it easily. The idea was to let the reactor cool undisturbed and then immerse it in a bucket of water. Two bricks could be placed on the bottom of the bucket, with space between them. The generator vessel (mason jar) could be flipped upside down under water before the rubber stopper or top was removed and then placed over the two bricks so that the water could contact the gas. Another brick or dense object would need to be placed over the top of the jar to hold it down. A little sodium hydroxide could be added to the bucket of water beforehand if converting the hydrogen sulfide to sodium (hydro)sulfide seemed advantageous. A little sodium hydroxide in the water would greatly increase the speed of absorbtion.

The process could maybe be improved, but I think the general idea is sound and would greatly increase safety. I guess a person could hold the jar under a sprinkler system when it was opened. :D Or even better a sprinkler system that was spraying sodium hydroxide solution (ouch!) Shouldn't make jokes, but I couldn't resist.

The smartest thing, now that I am starting to fully understand the seriousness of the poison issue, would be to use a much smaller vessel so that a much smaller quantity of poison gas would be left in the vessel after production was finished. The reason a larger one was used was because it put the screw top with stopper well away from the heat source below. It also allowed most of the sublimed sulfur to deposit in the jar so that it didn't end up in the delivery tube. The 16 oz size is also the most common for a mason jar (I think).

Ok, I think this is the best idea yet. The top of the mason jar, or rubber stopper, could have installed a small hose barb the size that is needed to attach an aquarium pump air line. This would either have to have a small valve or some other way of keeping it closed during the generation process and be safely opened after generation. When gas production is complete, simply attach an aquarium air pump and pump air into the reactor which will dilute and carry (or force) the H2S out of the generator and through the bubbler where it is safely absorbed. It might be a good idea to use a fresh sodium hydroxide solution since the one used during generation should be very saturated or close to it and therefore have less absorbtion ability. Also pumping air (oxygen) into the prepared sodium hydrosulfide solution will convert some of the sodium hydrosulfide to polysulfides, which is also undesirable.

[Edited on 20-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

H2S Hydrogen Sulfide Toxicity Information

Hennig Brand - 19-2-2014 at 10:09

Here is a link and two pdfs which provide very good information regarding the poisoning dangers associated with hydrogen sulfide gas. The link is for a good medical information page regarding hydrogen sulfide toxicity.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/815139-overview

Attachment: Hydrogen Sulfide Hazardous Substance Fact Sheet.pdf (79kB)
This file has been downloaded 2236 times

Attachment: Hydrogen Sulfide Workplace Health and Safety Bulletin.pdf (187kB)
This file has been downloaded 2076 times

There was enough H2S in that mason jar to potentially kill me, which is a very sobering thought.

[Edited on 19-2-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Hennig Brand - 20-2-2014 at 17:41

I drew a little diagram to illustrate the concept from the last hydrogen sulfide generator idea above. A check valve wouldn't have to be used, but it would be one way of allowing the process to be operated completely remotely. In fact rather than aerate the precious sodium hydrosulfide solution, I would probably just collect the solution from the graduated cylinder and then retire to a safe location before turning on the pump and just letting it vent to the atmosphere. As long as it was done outside and there were no people or animals close by it shouldn't be a problem.

Basic diagram is attached.

Attachment: Hydrogen Sulfide Generation System.pdf (64kB)
This file has been downloaded 669 times

roXefeller - 20-2-2014 at 18:07

I think the last time I bought an aquarium pump it came with a check valve intended to keep water from electricity. With this inline with the barb connection, you could leave that configuration from the beginning and power on the pump remotely after swapping jars.

Hennig Brand - 21-2-2014 at 16:20

Before doing the system flush, putting the bubbler in some sodium hydroxide solution or even plain water would be a good idea if for no other reason than to provide a visual indication that the pump is functioning properly and that the system is actually being flushed out. Of course a little sodium hydroxide in the water will greatly increase absorption and it doesn't have to be high purity sodium hydroxide either in this case.

Picric Acid Solubility in Methanol-Water Mixtures

Hennig Brand - 23-3-2014 at 03:49

Attached is a jpg of a snip-it from a journal article regarding solubility of picric acid in various solvents. The article title is, "The solubility of Picric Acid in Mixed Solvents Part I. Water-Alcohol and Water-Acetone Mixtures".

The table should serve as a guide when trying to decide how much methanol to use, if the method involving methanol is used.

Solubility of Picric Acid in Methanol-Water Mixtures.jpg - 143kB

[Edited on 23-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 23-3-2014 at 12:21

If you have the entire journal article please post the pdf. Thanks.

I have speculated it may be possible to form a lead styphnate / lead picrate compound salt by treatment of a suspension of basic lead styphnate with picric acid and something like a moist hot methanol or acetone solution of picric acid added to a like solvent for suspension of the basic lead styphnate could work for this, if such a double salt is possible.

Hennig Brand - 23-3-2014 at 16:25

The Solubility of Picric Acid in Mixed Solvents. Part I. Water-Alcohol and Water-Acetone Mixtures.

By James Cooper Duff and Edwin John Bills.

Six pages: three in the first file and three in the second.

Edit:
Since you have merged and reduced the two files I deleted the two oversized segments.

[Edited on 24-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 23-3-2014 at 20:43

Here is a merged and reduced file size

The Solubility of Picric Acid in Mixed Solvents - Part I Water-Alcohol and Water-Acetone Mixtures

Attachment: Solubility of Picric Acid in Mixed Solvents - Part I Water-Alcohol and Water-Acetone Mixtures.pdf (102kB)
This file has been downloaded 1786 times

roXefeller - 24-3-2014 at 18:38

Did you find that a better reclamation was achieved from the dissolved picramic acid by using the MeOH/water solvent? It seems like it would be easy to precipitate by water addition. I found horrible yields of 40-50% during this reduction and I suspect it was from the red solvent that I couldn't precipitate more from.

Hennig Brand - 25-3-2014 at 02:04

Yeah, I don't have the mono-reduction process all figured out yet either. I have had yields ranging from 50-80% and usually I have been for the most part unsure why I got the yield I got which likely means as usual I am not being careful enough with the quantities used and to control the reaction conditions.

Remember when we discussed the fact that when forming sodium hydrosulfide there would be sodium hydroxide left in solution if not enough hydrogen sulfide gas was bubbled through. We were under the impression that it probably wouldn't matter that much if a little extra sodium hydroxide was present in the reduction reaction mixture. After more carefully reading the Hodgson and Ward paper, on mono-reduction of picric acid, it is clear that their results indicate that we were wrong and that increases in alkalinity results in formation of larger and larger quantities of sulfide dyes. I have noticed that my best yields were obtained when I used a rather large excess of methanol (100mL for a 5g picric acid reduction) because at the time I wasn't sure how much to use, and also no excess of sodium hydroxide was added to the reaction mixture. That higher yield of picramic acid (79%) was also obtained using the first batch of sodium hydrosulfide solution prepared, which I believe had essentially no sodium hydroxide contamination. The alkalinity of the reaction mixture would have been quite low. The last sodium hydrosulfide solution I made the generator stopped producing earlier than I wanted and I believe there wasn't as high a conversion as the first time around. The color of the sodium (hydro) sulfide solution was much less dark yellow the second time around and seemed to have less reducing power per unit volume during the reduction process. I have been using this less concentrated sodium hydrosulfide solution, and a slight excess of sodium hydroxide as well, for the last few reductions and I have been getting approximately 50% yields. Using methanol and not water as well as keeping the alkalinity low in the mono-reduction reaction mixture would appear to be vital for obtaining high yields of picramic acid by this method. Sulfide dye by-product formation is increased with increasing alkalinity of the reduction reaction mixture.

Something else to take note of, according to the above authors, picramic acid when subjected to aqueous sodium sulfide in the presence of sodium hydroxide, at 50-600C, does not produce any sulfide dye.

There is a lot of useful information in that paper, which is attached earlier in this thread. I only gave it a quick run through before, because I was so focused on experimenting with the DDNP end product. It looks like yields in the high 80s could be easily obtained if quantities and reaction conditions were carefully controlled (especially alkalinity).

[Edited on 25-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 25-3-2014 at 05:23

The purity of the picramic acid used as the precursor for production of the DDNP could be important. It is likely that higher yields of the picramic acid may be obtained with less work using the reduction by soluble ferrous compounds described early in the thread. The expected byproduct Fe3O4 and any unreacted iron filings would be magnetic, and probably dense also which should facilitate separation by decantation and filtering of the picramate value soluble in hot liquid. Which picramate is most soluble in a hot reaction mixture I do not know but the soluble picramate reportedly will not react with soluble iron to precipitate a ferrous or ferric picramate as complication. Ammonium picramate would seem to be a good candidate for a ferrous reduction scheme. Or there is a reduction scheme reported to produce a quantitative yield of picramic acid that is found early in the thread. This would seem to be the first place to go looking for an alternative to use of sulfur for a reductant. If a higher yield reduction is not desired then the reduction method reportedly producing a 100% yield of the picramic acid should of course be avoided.

Hennig Brand - 25-3-2014 at 07:09

There are other methods, maybe some of them even better than the sulfide ones. Right now I am familiar with the one I am using, and there is a fair bit of information in the literature about it, which is an obvious advantage at least for the short term. I feel that 90%, or close to 90% yields can be easily produced by the sulfide method. I don't believe that the picramic acid produced is defective in anyway and I also believe that it can be purified at more than one point along the way to DDNP, and after, if desired.

Once I have mastered this process I will maybe look into the others. Honestly, if I could easily get 90% yields of picramic acid, for the quantities I use, I would be very happy.

Rosco Bodine - 25-3-2014 at 09:22

Ferrous sulfate is cheap and safe.

9 moles FeSO4 solution and 18 moles NH4HCO3 or NH4OH or perhaps just use NaOH solution added separately and simultaneously in a parallel proportional molar addition with stirring per mole of warm 30C sodium picrate solution should be about right for the reduction, with subsequent raising to maybe 80C and decanting and filtering of the hot solution, and acidifying to slight acidity and near complete decolorizing of the solution to precipitate the only slightly soluble free picramic acid. The picramates are color dyes so the endpoint is visual on the acidification. I better check my stoichiometry because I could be off and just did this one in my head. Don't bother checking the literature because it probably isn't there. :D

The strategy that would be best I think is to calculate a drip rate for the ferrous sulfate into the slightly basic sodium picrate solution and then make the additions of ammonium bicarbonate as solid sprinkled into the stirred mixture at a rate that stays slightly ahead of the ferrous sulfate to keep the reaction mixture slightly basic. Similarly if using a liquid base the additions of base should lead by a small amount the ferrous sulfate addition in order to keep the reaction system alkaline. Whether magnetic stirring may be good here or not is unknown since the byproduct Fe3O4 is going to be magnetic. The magnetic interaction could be helpful or interfering, but my best guess it could be helpful and may present no issue.

[Edited on 25-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 25-3-2014 at 17:20

I think I have a fairly safe handling process established for hydrogen sulfide gas, but I did poison myself a little during the learning process. The danger would of course be much greater for someone not familiar with the processes and the nature of the toxin.

Your method does sound interesting and safe. Have you tried it? How sure are you that it will work?

Rosco Bodine - 25-3-2014 at 18:08

The use of ferrous sulfate is reported but using a different method. The use of the sodium picrate and sodium hydroxide as the neutralizer of the sulfate is probably best and would permit the reduction to be run at higher temperature since there is no volatility loss like could be there for the ammonium. So I am inclining more towards use of the sodium compounds as I think about it. And I don't think the sodium sulfate byproduct would be interfering. The reported method using ferrous sulfate was using a barium hydroxide as the base which would sequester the sulfate precipitated as insoluble barium sulfate, but I don't think that is necessary. I think it would work for sure, it is simply a matter of working out the concentrations for easiest manipulation of the process. Working with moderately heated and near saturation concentrated solutions I think is probably the way to go even if there is a suspension of some undissolved material during the reduction phase, and then it can be diluted some to facilitate filtering and isolation. Reductions seem to go better in concentrated and warm conditions generally and I expect this reduction would be no different. The extremely low solubility of the free picramic acid should make isolation of the end product easy.

Rosco Bodine - 27-3-2014 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
Ferrous sulfate is cheap and safe.

9 moles FeSO4 solution and 18 moles NH4HCO3 or NH4OH or perhaps just use NaOH solution added separately and simultaneously in a parallel proportional molar addition with stirring per mole of warm 30C sodium picrate solution should be about right for the reduction, with subsequent raising to maybe 80C and decanting and filtering of the hot solution, and acidifying to slight acidity and near complete decolorizing of the solution to precipitate the only slightly soluble free picramic acid. The picramates are color dyes so the endpoint is visual on the acidification. I better check my stoichiometry because I could be off and just did this one in my head. Don't bother checking the literature because it probably isn't there. :D

The strategy that would be best I think is to calculate a drip rate for the ferrous sulfate into the slightly basic sodium picrate solution and then make the additions of ammonium bicarbonate as solid sprinkled into the stirred mixture at a rate that stays slightly ahead of the ferrous sulfate to keep the reaction mixture slightly basic. Similarly if using a liquid base the additions of base should lead by a small amount the ferrous sulfate addition in order to keep the reaction system alkaline. Whether magnetic stirring may be good here or not is unknown since the byproduct Fe3O4 is going to be magnetic. The magnetic interaction could be helpful or interfering, but my best guess it could be helpful and may present no issue.

[Edited on 25-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

I should amend my earlier "first guess" stoichiometric ratios on this to 6 moles of ferrous sulfate being needed for reduction since the reported byproduct of the reduction is the red iron oxide Fe2O3 instead of the mixed ferrous-ferric Fe3O4 byproduct I was guessing would be the byproduct. It seems possible that some of both could form as the byproduct and if this is true then the actual amount of ferrous sulfate required could be a bit more than the 6 moles but less than the 9 which would be the worst case requirement.

Reading the period literature from 150 years ago for clarification on the terminology is helpful.

The reference by Aime Girard posted earlier here

Terms that are archaic "protosulphate of iron" is ferrous sulfate and the "protoxide" is ferrous hydroxide and the abundant precipitate of "peroxide of iron" is Fe2O3 or red iron oxide which would likely form first as a perhaps gelatinous transiently stable hydrated ferric oxide then decomposing in the hot reaction mixture to the neat oxide which should be a particulate precipitate. Girard's mention of the "ammoniacal liquid" would indicate that the base being used was ammonium hydroxide or ammonium bicarbonate. But it would seem that other bases could be used. Sodium hydroxide should serve as well. Milk of lime has been described in the literature and has the barium hydroxide also been used for precipitation of the sulfate value from the ferrous sulfate. There could be advantage to removal of the sulfate value from conversion of the ferrous sulfate to ferrous chloride, using calcium chloride and filtering out the byproduct calcium sulfate. The needed amount of hydrated lime could be neutralized with HCl and then the solution of CaCl2 and FeSO4 could be mixed and the FeCl2 solution from filtration could be used for reduction, gradually added to a hot solution of sodium picrate, with an added 2 equivalents of sodium hydroxide, with the byproducts of reduction being sodium chloride remaining in solution, and a mixed precipitate of ferric oxide and sodium picramate. In the alternative using NH4OH as the base could have advantage due to the much greater solubility of the NH4Cl byproduct than NaCl. Additional dilution water could be added and the completed reaction mixture heated to dissolve the sodium picramate, decanted and filtered. Addition of HCl should precipitate the nearly insoluble free picramic acid from the residual NaCl or NH4Cl solution.

Pharmaceutical_Journal page 706.bmp - 838kB

picramic acid from a treatise on chemistry.bmp - 896kB

picramic 30 per cent.bmp - 454kB

The reaction appears to be

C6H2(NO2)3OH + NaOH ----> C6H2(NO2)3ONa + H2O

( 6 X ) [ FeSO4 + 2 NaOH ----> Na2SO4 + Fe(OH)2 ]

6 Fe(OH)2 + C6H2(NO2)3ONa ----> C6H2(NO2)2NH2ONa + 5 H2O + 3 Fe2O3

To provide an excess of theory of the reducing agent to compensate for atmospheric oxidation and other possible process depletion losses it would probably be fine to use a 7 X quantity of the reactants for the second equation and use a couple of per cent excess of theory beyond for the NaOH to assure the reaction mixture stays distinctly basic. The sodium picramate end product is itself a pH indicator which will provide a shift from an intense dye dark red color to a nearly colorless supernatant liquid when the completed and diluted and filtered hot reaction mixture is acidified to precipitate the free and nearly insoluble dull orange brown color picramic acid.

It would also seem possible that a lesser amount of ferrous sulfate could be used if dextrose or fructose along with the needed amount of NaOH to enable its use as a reducing agent was used in substitution for the omitted quantity of the ferrous sulfate and NaOH, since the reducing sugar itself will accomplish the reduction of sodium picrate to sodium picramate directly, or will act indirectly and in parallel to reduce the ferric hydroxide byproduct back to ferrous hydroxide which should react again with the unreacted sodium picrate as a reducing agent regenerated by the reducing sugar. Likewise should occur for regeneration of the ferrous hydroxide regardless of its source being sulfate or chloride or acetate, it should be regenerated by basified glucose being freshly added to the reaction mixture.

The earlier estimation for a possible requirement of 9 moles of ferrous sulfate for the reduction of 1 mole of sodium picrate was uncertainty about the mechanism that would predominate for the reduction. There is a Schikorr reaction
which is 3 Fe(OH)2 → Fe3O4 + H2 + 2 H2O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schikorr_reaction

To supply the 6 hydrogens needed for the reduction by this Schikorr mechanism would require 9 moles total of the ferrous sulfate. And the byproduct would be the mixed ferrous-ferric oxide Fe3O4.

[Edited on 28-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 28-3-2014 at 14:01

You managed to dig up quite a bit of material actually, thanks. Once I get this term of school out of the way I may do a little experimenting. I am starting to like DDNP, but the mono-reduction of picric acid is definitely a big source of inefficiency and inconvenience at the moment. Hope you’re on to something good there.

Next time I prepare sodium hydrosulfide I am going to use a much larger excess of hydrogen sulphide gas. The unconverted sodium hydroxide causes low yield and increased amounts of by-product formation.

Rosco Bodine - 28-3-2014 at 14:25

I don't think the NaHS is the issue causing your reduced yields or that using an excess of H2S will be the fix. IIRC correctly the reduction reaction is actually higher yielding for the Na2S used as the reductant instead of the acid salt NaHS which would incline your reduced yields more correctly attributable to having too much H2S instead of not enough. You may be correct about the proportion of H2S to NaOH being the issue but are wrong about the direction of the "sulfur value" involved disproportion with respect to the base that is causing the reduced yield. You are "over correcting" in the opposite and incorrect direction IMO to use more H2S.

If I had to guess, the reduction of sodium picrate using sodium ascorbate it likely going to be the best method.

Hennig Brand - 28-3-2014 at 16:09

That was what I was trying to say in the last couple of posts, that it was most likely the larger proportion and concentration of sodium hydroxide present in the reaction mixture causing the reduced yields. That was much earlier in the thread when I was thinking that I wasn't using enough reducer. I may still not be using enough reducer, as well, but at this point I think the excess sodium hydroxide is the big issue. I am quite confident that I can raise the yields considerably now that I understand what is happening (I think).

I don't think any extra sodium hydrosulfide is going to reduce the picramic acid further once formed. I do think that before the picramic acid is formed it is susceptible to conversion to undesirable by-products especially in the presence of excess sodium hydroxide.

The excess hydrogen sulfide gas would be bubbled through the sodium hydroxide solution, when preparing the sulfide solution, in order to be more sure that all the sodium hydroxide was converted to sodium sulfide or sodium hydrosulfide. I may also start using a little less sodium hydroxide when converting picric acid to sodium picrate (use just enough). The paper mentioned a couple posts back talks about using sodium bicarbonate as a buffer as well, with reasonably good results in the reduction reaction.

[Edited on 29-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 28-3-2014 at 18:59

No you are still not understanding. The Na2S forms first when you are gassing NaOH with H2S and is converted to the acid salt NaHS by further saturation with H2S but the NaHS can be reverted back to Na2S by adding the needed Na equivalent as NaOH or NaHCO3. It isn't at all an excess of base that is reducing your yields IMO it is a deficiency of base for the NaHS being used for the reduction instead of Na2S being used. The reduction of picric acid to picramic acid is a misleading way of characterizing the reduction which is actually a reduction under basic conditions of a picrate salt to a picramate salt. What exactly is the pH range that is limiting for the monoreduction, I am not certain, but even under basic condition it is possible to go further than the monoreduction and form some byproduct diaminonitrophenol. This can occur even during reduction using glucose and NaOH when the reducing agent is in excess of the amount needed for the monoreduction. So the maximizing of the yield for the monoreduction will be dependant upon pH and time of reaction and temperature and the amount of excess of theory of reducing agent that is present and the concentration of the reaction mixture. All of these parameters will have to be fine tuned to maximize the yield. There are some additional references I will be posting.
It is odd that during the testing of reduction by glucose that the molar ratio used would not include the theoretical 6 moles glucose, and a bit in excess of theory like 6.5 or 7, but instead the charting of the reduction would jump from 5 moles to 10 moles, leaving everyone to wonder what occurs for the reaction dynamic in the near vicinity of the theoretical.

Attachment: The Alkaline Reduction of Aromatic Nitro Compounds with Glucose.pdf (286kB)
This file has been downloaded 716 times

Attachment: Effect of Glucose on Alkaline Picrate.pdf (846kB)
This file has been downloaded 854 times

Attachment: Reduction of Nitrocompounds by Sodium Ascorbate.pdf (155kB)
This file has been downloaded 845 times

Attachment: Basic Ferrous Salts journal article.pdf (87kB)
This file has been downloaded 856 times

[Edited on 29-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

roXefeller - 29-3-2014 at 07:59

If I had to guess, the reduction of sodium picrate using sodium ascorbate it likely going to be the best method.

I could never get that to take. I used a clear solution of sodium ascorbate. I ran it at boiling but the ascorbate seemed to decompose into some black mess at least it looked like that.

Rosco Bodine - 29-3-2014 at 16:39

The "black mess" probably contained the desired sodium picramate product which you failed to recognize and then failed to isolate. It is the expected result that the orange colored transparent sodium picrate solution becomes so darkly red tinted and opaque during the reduction that it literally turns black, and looks like black ink, because the sodium picramate product is such an intense and dense dark red color dye that undiluted it appears black. Diluted greatly the red color should appear. Or the moderately soluble red sodium salt can be converted by acidification to the free picramic acid which is nearly insoluble and will precipitate from acidified solution leaving a barely tinted supernatant. Sodium Picramate is used commercially as a hair dye to produce a similar effect to henna where a red staining is imparted to hair exposed to the sodium picrate used as a hair colorant.

What may be the ultimate yield possible for the reaction as a synthesis intended to produce and isolate as the end product picramic acid gotten by use of sugar as the reducing agent is not known. All of the literature about the reaction is focused upon the reduction to picramate of a picrate by reducing sugars as a determination of sugar concentration gauged by colorimetry since the picramate byproduct produced by oxidation of sugar by sodium picramate is an intense red dye, and the oxidation of the sugar goes to completion in the presence of excess picrate. Logically it seems possible that the same reaction could be retasked and optimized for conversion of the sodium picrate to sodium picramate, perhaps with some adjustment of the proportions of reactants with respect to what would be present in amount of theory or in excess of theory being the sugar, to enable more complete conversion of the picrate to picramate, without need of solving for an unknown that is the sugar content. The "sugar test" is likely possible to be reconfigured and retasked to be a conversion of sodium picrate to sodium picramate as the object.

Sucrose is inverted to glucose and fructose after heating at near boiling for 10 minutes with picric acid where the pH of the picric acid catalyzes the inversion similarly as does HCl or other acids. When saturated sodium carbonate is added in excess to the heated mixture, the sodium picrate formed will begin to oxidize the reducing sugars, with the sodium picrate being reduced to sodium picramate in the reaction.

A "black mess" should likewise be produced by this method. How sweet it is or may be as a method of synthesis for sodium picramate remains to be seen.

Attachment: Sodium Picramate for Hair Colorant.pdf (252kB)
This file has been downloaded 1150 times

Attachment: Some Modifications of Picric Acid Method for Sugars IND43966901.pdf (380kB)
This file has been downloaded 1325 times

Attachment: The Estimation of Glucose in Biological Samples 0200263.pdf (187kB)
This file has been downloaded 891 times

Attachment: Pages from Journal_of_the_American_Chemical_Society pg 403.pdf (317kB)
This file has been downloaded 701 times

Attachment: Pages from The Journal of Biological Chemistry pg529.pdf (188kB)
This file has been downloaded 642 times

[Edited on 30-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 30-3-2014 at 15:15

I really wasn't trying to make any statements about the relative reducing power of sodium sulfide versus sodium hydrosulfide. I was thinking about excess sodium hydroxide floating around in the reaction mixture.

What is attached is the Hodgson and Ward paper, which has already been posted at least once. When I read their results, I see nothing to indicate that using only sodium hydrosulfide and no sodium sulfide would result in the diminished yields that roXefeller and I are seeing. The yield using only sodium hydrosulfide and an amount of sodium hydroxide needed to neutralize the picric acid produced a yield of 86% (Table I, Exp (3)). There were higher yields, with the highest yield (96%) coming from an experiment where a reducing sulfide solution containing equimolar quantities of sodium sulfide and sodium hydrosulfide as well as an amount of sodium bicarbonate were used (Table I, Exp (1)).

In table II there are a couple of experiments where a slight excess of sodium hydroxide is used, which doesn't appear to make a huge difference to the yields (at least nothing to account for someone only getting a 40% yield). Table II experiments were performed in water not methanol however.

I know one probable reason why the last sodium (hydro)sulfide solution I prepared was less dark yellow. It was a double batch, with approximately the same amount of air (oxygen) in the generator which was bubbled through the solution. It would make sense that less yellow polysulfides were formed (per unit volume).

Something I am doing differently from the Hodgson and Ward procedures; I am letting the reaction drag on for 45 minutes sometimes, instead of the 10-15 minutes specified by them. The next time I do the experiment I am going to add the reducing agent much more quickly.

Attachment: Picramic Acid using Sodium (Hydro)Sulfide J[1]. Chem. Soc., 1945, 663 - 665,.pdf (344kB)
This file has been downloaded 742 times

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 30-3-2014 at 19:15

I think you are misreading what is an admittedly awkward, unclear and confusing description of the "crystallized" Na2S reducing agent A, which is made in situ by treatment of NaHS with NaHCO3. It was me who posted that reference back on page 3. There was some discussion in following posts about the "sulfur value" being adjustable. That is the process done reacting the NaHCO3 with NaHS to form the Na2S. My understanding of this to be the case is based upon the mole ratios stated being the same for reducing reagent A and B which makes sense best to me if the reducing agent A is Na2S formed in situ. If this is interpreted differently then the molar ratio for A would be ~4.6 to 1 and the molar ratio for B would be ~2.3 to 1. There is seeming contradiction between the numbers and the text description. I have a reference request for an earlier article which may help resolve the discrepancy.

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 31-3-2014 at 06:17

Ok, I see what you are talking about. I think they are less likely to have the masses wrong, since those would have been read right of the scales (no chance of calculation error and less chance of mix-up). Also the number of moles to be concerned about is the number of moles of sulfide not sodium. No matter how much sodium we add we still can't get more than 1 mol of sodium sulfide from 1 mole of sodium hydrosulfide. I have a feeling that 24g of sodium sulfide is right, but instead of 0.1 moles beside it, it should have said 0.3 moles.

I took the following from the allreactions.com website. It might provide some insight.

SODIUM HYDROSULFIDE NaHS

Properties of sodium hydrosulfide NaHS:

White, in the liquid state - black. It melts without decomposition, on further heating decomposes. Readily soluble in cold water (hydrolysis on the anion). Decomposed in the boiling solution. Neutralized by the alkali (as opposed to NH4HS). Attaches sulfur. A typical reducing agent, is oxidized by atmospheric oxygen.

Obtaining sodium hydrosulfide NaHS:

2 Na + 2 H2S (saturated) = 2NaHS↓ + H2↑ (in benzene).

Na2S + H2S (saturated) = 2NaHS.

H2S + NaOH (diluted) = NaHS + H2O

H2S + 2 NaOH(conc.) = Na2S + 2H2O.

2 H2S + 2Na = 2NaHS + H2 (150°C)

H2S + M(C2H5O) = MHS↓ + C2H5OH (M = Li, Na, K; in ether)

Reactions with sodium hydrosulfide NaHS:

NaHS = Na2S + H2S (450—500°C)

NaHS·nH2O↓ ↔ NaHS (saturated) + nH2O (normal temp., n >= 3).

NaHS (diluted) + 4 H2О (cold) = [Na(H2O)4]+ + HS-

HS- + H2O ↔ H2S + OH-; pKo = 7,02.

2 NaHS (solution) = Na2S + H2S↑ (boiling).

NaHS + НСl (diluted) = NaCl + H2S↑,

NaHS + 3HNO3 (conc.) = S↓ + 2 NO2 ↑ + NaNO3 + 2H2O.

NaHS + NaОН (conc.) = Na2S + H2O.

2n NaHS (solid) + (n - 1)O2 = 2 H2O + (2n - 4) NaOH + 2 Na2(Sn) [100—250° С].

NaHS (saturated, hot) + NaOH + (n - 1)S = Na2(Sn) + H2O

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 31-3-2014 at 07:57

It is a convoluted imprecise description article that could have been written better, and it becomes obvious there is error for example 6 in table 1 where the ratio should be 1.15 to 1 and it looks like a transposing error from example 4 above in the same table. The arithmetic I did showed a ratio of 2.273 to 1 for what is shown on the table as 2.3 to 1 rounded. Anyway I think the patent I posted earlier about the reactions involved when gassing NaOH with H2S is absolutely correct that the Na2S forms first and this would square with other process chemistry studies which have shown the trend of higher sulfides forming first preferentially and then the sulfur value lowering as forced by conditions favoring change to what would ordinarily be a less stable sulfur compound under ordinary conditions. The sulfur compounds have varying stability particularly for solutions which are subject to instability after bottling and what begins as a pure solution of one sulfur compound gradually changes to an equilibrium mixture of various sulfur compounds and can even precipitate sulfur in the process of reaching an equilibrium. The composition of the mixtures that are formed is algebra that is affected by time and temperature. I was trying to get a handle on this to guesstimate what may be the best strategy for sequencing a dry method reaction of solid NaOH and solid sulfur with minimal water and calculating the dilution and temperature and time for reaction, sequenced with subsequent additions of added base as hydroxide or bicarbonate or carbonate as would produce an optimized mixture of reducing sulfur compounds for the Zinin reduction, where the byproduct would be soluble thiosulfate and no precipitation or minimal precipitation of free sulfur as byproduct would occur, and no sulfur dyes as byproduct with picramate would be an issue. I still think there is an optimization possible for such a sulfide route, but the algebra for achieving it would likely come down to trial and error. The math only is helpful so far, and it complicates things when the math reported by others is wrong for typos or editing errors, leaving a mystery to figure out. That's what we have here.

The appeal of the sulfide reduction is the concentrated reaction mixture and the rapidity and high yields possible at 98% or possibly even the quantitative yield is attainable.
And I think high yields are possible even using dry method produced polysulfide Zinin reagents which are not reported so far as I know except by me :D And maybe my math is not so good sometimes. I shall continue to scratch my head and think on this some more. But there are possible also interactions with manganous and ferrous salt used concurrently with sulfide, and variants that suggest quantitative yields are possible with the ferrous salt. The reference I posted regarding the formation of basic ferrous salts I think provides information which may be useful ultimately in a strategy to utilize the ferrous salt as a regenerable reducing agent, possibly regenerated even by sugar. Avoiding the sulfide entirely even though it is efficient is desirable since it seems to be a "nasty" synthesis leaving some impurity even in those procedures where a high yield is produced. A cleaner and more pure product that could still be easily synthesized is what motivates examination of the alternative methods.

Sulfur chemistry is a journey into the tall grass :D While on safari there, probably good to bring a gun and matches. ;)

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 1-4-2014 at 03:00

"It is a convoluted imprecise description article that could have been written better". I agree, there is a lot of vagueness and ambiguity in that article. I found myself reading over parts of it several times and still being unable to tell exactly what the intended message was (and that was before you pointed out the inconsistencies with some of the numbers).

What comes first seems to depend on the concentrations, or maybe the intermediate doesn't stick around very long. It is sort of complicated.

Rosco Bodine - 1-4-2014 at 12:12

Here are some additional references that may help untangling the mystery. The page 78 from the fundamental processes of dye chemistry is the one cited by Hodgson and Ward, but a revised later edition is also attached since the language differs slightly or the later edition of the same article. From what I can gather it is possible to improve upon yields which are obtained by optimizing the conditions with regards to temperature and time of reaction and pH and the excess of the reducing agent employed. Evidently there are a number of different Zinin reagents or combination schemes that are workable, as well as other non-Zinin reducing agents which can also give good yields, and the findings of different authors may generally agree on some things and diverge on others. So the literature has to be read in a kind of selective way where the reporting on optimizing of one method does not necessarily rule out good yields being also possible by a different scheme which may be rejected as infierior by the same author who never had much luck with a different method which wasn't extensively studied or refined to see if it could be made to work. My own thinking is there are probably many different reduction schemes that can produce a high yield of 80% or better and it isn't a reduction limited to only being practical by one method which outshines all others. The hydrosulfide or the normal sulfide or the disulfide are all effective as reducing agents for the Zinin reaction, but there are different requirements for pH control depending on which one or what mixture is used for the reduction.

Attached also is the referenced article: The monoreduction of 1,3-dinitronaphthalene and the separation of 3-nitro-1-naphthylamine and 4-nitro-2-naphthylamine,
Herbert H. Hodgson and Stanley Birtwell, J. Chem. Soc., 1944, 75-77

Attachment: Communications.pdf (375kB)
This file has been downloaded 966 times

Attachment: Pages from The_Fundamental_Processes_of_Dye_Chemistry 1921 pg78.pdf (84kB)
This file has been downloaded 791 times

Attachment: Pages from fundamental_processes_of_dye_chemistry.pdf (172kB)
This file has been downloaded 720 times

Attachment: Herbert H. Hodgson and Stanley Birtwell, J. Chem. Soc., 1944, 75-77.pdf (317kB)
This file has been downloaded 1087 times

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 2-4-2014 at 08:13

The first attachment "Communications” is a very good article, thanks for posting. The conclusions they came to ring true for me, though they went into more depth than I did with regards to theory. I think when bubbling hydrogen sulfide into a dilute sodium hydroxide solution, sodium hydrosulfide is formed without going through sodium sulfide. Either that or the sodium sulfide is a very short lived intermediate. Sodium hydrosulfide is formed by the half neutralization of hydrogen sulfide. I also think that a large excess of hydrogen sulphide gas must be bubbled through the solution, with the simple setup used, or else all the sodium hydroxide will not be converted. I think that the excess sodium hydroxide causes undesirable reactions and loss of yield. The next time I prepare sodium hydrosulfide I am going to be much more careful and use a large excess of hydrogen sulfide.

[Edited on 3-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 2-4-2014 at 08:49

There is a difference in the pH which is needed for the Zinin reaction to be favored depending upon the sulfur value or sulfur ranking of the sulfide employed, and yields can be optimized accordingly by varying the reaction conditions to accomodate the sulfide being used. It is necessary for that to be done so that apples and apples are being compared, rather than apples and oranges, when evaluating the "best obtainable yield" for a particular sulfide being employed for the reduction. The solvent system and the concentration and temperature and time of reaction are also factors along with the pH. There would need to be a broader more extensive study done to fairly compare the results gotten for use of NaHS and Na2S and Na2S2 or for complex polysulfide mixtures, with and without the concurrent use of ferrous and manganous salts, and I think the use of schemes involving two phase reaction schemes with organic solvents immiscible or partly miscible with the aqueous phase. There has likely already been proprietary studies done by industry since this is an old compound having been manufactured on a plant scale for more than a century.
There are general principles for optimizing Zinin reductions which are in general most kinetically favored for the disulfide reagent. However, there are exceptions to the general rule where one particular sulfide may be preferable as the anomaly for a particular reduction. Also the purity and the byproducts may differ for different choices and govern the choice for what process is most preferred, so that absolute maximum yield is a lesser priority, and other factors govern the choice of method. Reductions conducted under basic conditions produce a soluble thiosulfate byproduct, but for reductions approaching neutral or acidic conditions, free sulfur will be produced as a byproduct that can complicate purification of the desired product. So the economics of the process chosen will vary depending upon the requirements applicable to the quality of the desired product and its practical use as an intermediate for further reactions, and the purity requirement applicable there. For a dye intermediate there may be one specification, and for other uses a different specification may require a different process be used for producing a different specification end product.

As a note of interest, I was reading a description of Na2S-9H2O as being a *white* coarsely crystalline material having the appearance of rock salt, and being highly soluble like NaOH.

With regards to your H2S generation and saturating of an NaOH solution to produce the NaHS, there is a good measured indication of reaction progress and endpoint result gotten by weight monitoring of the reaction flask as described in the articles. The scales won't lie to you about what you've got. Possibly if you mean to maximize the yield, to increase 90% to 96%, instead of the NaHS being what you desire to produce by treatment of NaOH solution with H2S, that instead you may perform that reaction only to the midpoint, so that your solution contains the normal sulfide Na2S, then evaporate to obtain the crystallized hydrate. The added work involved may be poor economy so it is possible that the easier method producing 90% yield from an aqueous system is more desirable than the alternative method used to increase yield at the expense of more work.

Looking at the Hodgson and Ward article in light of the Hodgson and Birtwell article about the interactions of Na2S and NaHCO3 in methyl alcohol appears to be a scheme for improvising NaHS in situ which is the inverse of what I had guessed they were doing from the confusing description. I was on the right track but going the wrong direction, so it was actually the purpose of mixing Na2S and NaHCO3 in methanol to make NaHS by an alternative method to the separate synthesis of NaHS from a treatment of an NaOH solution with H2S from a gas generator. The Communications by Clayton article uses NaHS gotten from treatment of NaOH solution with H2S. But the Hodgson - Birtwell and Hodgson - Ward variation uses alternative method of producing the NaHS in methanol. Actually what I believe is achieved could be a hybrid method where a simultaneous Zinin reaction is proceeding where in part the reducing sulfide is NaHS and in part the reducing sulfide is Na2S and in what exact proportions is unknown. The hybrid scheme could actually serve to aid pH control by a kind of buffering effect, but I will have to again check the reaction schemes difference for NaHS and Na2S to evaluate that aspect. Evidently an effect of that nature is involved because of the yield increase from 90% to 98%, although the solvent methanol could also have bearing to an unknown extent. Further thought and analysis about this aspect is needed to fully understand the implications and what accounts for the 6-8% differing yields. Actually that range of difference is small enough to be within the range of variability that depends on how much skill by different chemsists is employed in conducting the synthetic process and manipulations. An under 10% difference range is within the variation range of tweaking and fine tuning so what may be significant as actual chemistry differences becomes less conspicuous.

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 3-4-2014 at 06:51

The first attachment "Communications” is a very good article, thanks for posting. The conclusions they came to ring true for me, though they went into more depth than I did with regards to theory. I think when bubbling hydrogen sulfide into a dilute sodium hydroxide solution, sodium hydrosulfide is formed without going through sodium sulfide. Either that or the sodium sulfide is a very short lived intermediate. Sodium hydrosulfide is formed by the half neutralization of hydrogen sulfide. I also think that a large excess of hydrogen sulphide gas must be bubbled through the solution, with the simple setup used, or else all the sodium hydroxide will not be converted. I think that the excess sodium hydroxide causes undesirable reactions and loss of yield. The next time I prepare sodium hydrosulfide I am going to be much more careful and use a large excess of hydrogen sulfide.

Yes I agree the Clayton article Communications does pretty well specify conditions that would be useful for a scheme where the NaHS Zinin reagent is prepared by use of a H2S gas generator to treat an NaOH solution until weight increase indicates conversion to NaHS. This is a parallel type of gas / liquid phase reaction scheme as is used for producing sodium hypochlorite or sodium bicarbonate, monitoring the completion point by weight and possibly by the increasing blowthrough that is unreacted and reaches the scrubber. Bubblers are good for visual flow monitors for these type reactions. And having the reaction flask sitting on a scale for weight increase monitoring is greatly helpful.

Reviewing this thread I see that 7 years ago I was already getting a pretty good handle on the approaches that could be workable for a laboratory scale, and had an understanding of the milder conditions that would be provided by using H2S generation for producing either Na2S or NaHS. I described this method for Na2S on page 4

And the last couple of references clear up any misinterpretation about the composition of the "hybrid mixture" of Na2S and NaHCO3 used to increase the yields to nearly quantitative. There is a buffering scheme at work there I think where the same equilibrium mixture of NaHS and Na2S could be made using the H2S gas generation scheme, but interrupting the conversion of the initially formed Na2S before it is completely converted to NaHS by measured weight gain. If you follow what I am describing, it would be even easier to make the hybrid reagent if the conversion of the initially formed Na2S was stopped when
approximately two thirds of the Na2S had been converted to NaHS. The amount of NaHCO3 to be added to the methanol and sodium picrate aqueous mixture would be reduced by the same two thirds as that amount would not have been needed for conversion of Na2S to NaHS in methanol, having been accomplished by variation of the composition of the hybrid mixture done deliberately by modulating the H2S flow to the Na2S solution formed initially.

Such a modification of "incomplete conversion" of the Na2S to NaHS by interrupting the H2S gas flow, combined with adding methanol to the aqueous sodium picrate reaction mixture, could increase the yields of 90% reported by Clayton using NaHS in the Communications article, to the 98% yields reported by Hodgson and Ward using the equilibrium "hybrid" mixture of NaHS and Na2S made in situ in methanol by adding NaHCO3 to Na2S. Such approach should shorten the time required for working the H2S gas generator and would be convenient to interrupt at a stage while it was still freely absorbing in the still reactive Na2S not yet nearly completed conversion mixture. The only modifications otherwise would be the reduction in needed NaHCO3 and the addition of methanol, to emulate the higher yielding reaction conditions described by Hodgson and Ward.

So I think that surveying the available literature with better comprehension in light of the most recently obtained references, allows for proposing such a modified scheme to improve the yields to nearly quantitative.

Such a scheme of using the H2S gas generator is the most technically precise method of performing this type reaction. And this is likely the approach that will produce the highest yields. However I still believe it is possible to further optimize the "dry method" of mixing solid NaOH and S and reacting with added heat and a sequence of manipulations that can provide a useful Zinin reducing agent of generally predictable composition as the result, if it is desired to avoid a scheme requiring use if a H2S gas generator. There would be an extensive experimental workup required for study and charting results of such a scheme that would be good to know as an alternative method, and what level of efficiency to which that less technically superior method is limited. Reduced yields may be acceptable for an improvised scheme where the additional equipment needed for the best method is not available or is inconvenient.

As an additional reference that further describes some of the reactions and crystallization aspects related to isolation of Na2S I am attaching US3666410 for its information value.

Science Madness has done it again here I think with a more comprehensive review of the literature regarding an obscure subject, researched over a period of many years to arrive at a good general picture of the chemistry involved. Google sure knows who we are when it comes to certain information and discussion of historically obscure and technically interesting topics for which compendiums of good information are simply otherwise unavailable :D Call this thread a keeper.

Attachment: US3666410 Na2S Crystallization Process.pdf (578kB)
This file has been downloaded 655 times

[Edited on 3-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 3-4-2014 at 08:05

Ok, I see that I have been a little confused about a few things. I have thought some more on this. Sodium hydrosulfide is formed first, but when there is an excess of sodium hydroxide the neutralization doesn't stop at the half neutralization point (sodium hydrosulfide), but goes straight on through to sodium sulfide. As the sodium hydroxide is used up (neutralized) by the incoming hydrogen sulfide gas stream the pH begins to drop and sodium hydrosulfide begins to form until all the sodium hydroxide is used up and all the sodium sulfide is converted to sodium hydrosulfide. In order to eliminate or convert all (or most) of the sodium hydroxide in solution all must be converted to sodium hydrosulfide. Keeping the sodium hydroxide concentration very low is important to good yields when using the hydrosulfide solution for the mono-reduction of picric acid.

The pKa values for H2S and HS- are 7.0 and 7.2 respectively, which are very close together. Since they are so close together the protons in both cases are reacted at close to the same pH. Sodium hydrosulfide is formed first but in the presence of excess sodium hydroxide goes directly to sodium sulfide. As the sodium hydroxide is used up the equilibrium conditions are such that sodium hydrosulfide is the only end product. This is what I think is going on.

Rosco Bodine - 3-4-2014 at 08:26

The relationship of Na2S and NaHS is the same as the relationship of Na2CO3 and NaHCO3 or Na2SO4 and NaHSO4 ......NaHS is the "bi" or acid salt as opposed to the neutral salt. Na2S is the neutral salt. NaHS is the acid salt, which could also be called Sodium acid sulfide, or perhaps sodium bisulfide, or sodium hydrosulfide. Sodium Sulfide and Sodium Hydrosulfide are not chemicals as frequently and commonly encountered as more familiar salts. Therefore it isn't immediately recognized as would be the case for salts like the carbonates or bicarbonates particularly.

Time for a song or two illustrating "aspect ratios" :D

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/78O6--THTF0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GfJWqjoekow?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sodium Hydrosulfide and Sodium Sulfide Equilibrium

Hennig Brand - 3-4-2014 at 12:01

Took the following from the text "Textile Dyeing and Coloration". It discusses the sodium hydrosulfide and sodium sulfide equilibrium. My understanding is still a little sloppy, since this subject is a little confusing and my mental resources are stretched pretty thin lately.

I am still looking for a pdf of the book, but for now I just took print screen shots and made a pdf out of them.

Attachment: Sodium Hydrosulfide and Sodium Sulfide Equilibrium - From Textile Dyeing and Coloration Text.pdf (331kB)
This file has been downloaded 1447 times

Rosco Bodine - 3-4-2014 at 12:22

My guesstimate of two thirds conversion of the Na2S appears to be in the ball park. That was just off the top of my head and I didn't check. But evidently it got your attention what I recognized about that equilibrium. Since we are breaking new ground at least on the record, discussing the finer points now being characterized about the difference between 90% yield of Clayton compared with 98% yield of Hodgson and Ward using a buffered reagent, it is down to proof by experiment what actually occurs there. But I think this aspect involving the buffering effect of the equilibrium mixture does nail it down as what is defining the different yields, and possibly the methanol is a smaller factor. But it could be both factors involved that explains the different yields. Anyway this pins it down more precisely what is the difference there than anything i know about that is published. But the techs who actually run the commercial processes have surely already identified these variables, if they were looking and trying to fine tune their processes.

Actually based on the description of the equilibrium shifted so far in hydolysis as that reference indicates, my guesstimate is low regarding the needed conversion of Na2S which should probably be better around 90-95% and with the sodium bicarbonate reduced accordingly. I have the right idea but didn't go far enough on that first guesstimate. So if you actually do try the hybrid mixture I would revise my estimate to a 90% conversion of the Na2S to NaHS as a good starting point for experiments. Two subsequent experiments at 85% and 95% conversion should identify the direction up or down needed for an optimization.

Hennig Brand - 3-4-2014 at 16:13

Don't know if this one was posted before. It has some nice graphs and for a patent is an interesting, straightforward read.

Attachment: US2346550A Sodium Hydrosulfide Production Patent.pdf (377kB)
This file has been downloaded 675 times

Rosco Bodine - 3-4-2014 at 17:01

Yeah I posted that US2346550 patent earlier on the preceding page about 8 posts down. I have a screen grab of some text that is relevant too, but to be honest I think we have already gone beyond the published literature specific on the topic of picramic acid with the collective analysis which we have collected here in one place in this thread.

Attachment: Zinin related screenshot text.pdf (253kB)
This file has been downloaded 1036 times

Here are some additional references more general in nature to the Zinin reduction and the possible reactions, and are not articles specifically about synthesis of picramate, but do provide more general insight about the 3 different reaction mechanisms that are possible depending upon the pH and the sulfide or sulfides mixture being used.

Attachment: Reduction of p-nitrotoluene by aqueous ammonium sulfide.pdf (191kB)
This file has been downloaded 2998 times

Attachment: Kinetics of the Reduction of Nitrotoluenes by Aqueous Ammonium Sulfide.pdf (204kB)
This file has been downloaded 2025 times

Attachment: Kinetics of the Reduction of Nitrochlorobenzenes by Aqueous Ammonium Sulfide.pdf (590kB)
This file has been downloaded 862 times

Attachment: A Reduction of Nitrotoluenes by Aqueous Ammonium Sulfide Kinetic Study.pdf (557kB)
This file has been downloaded 1634 times

There is reported (pages from fundamental processes of dye chemistry) a need for simultaneously in a parallel stream adding HCl as a neutralizer for the NaOH byproduct when using Na2S alone as the Zinin reagent but the addition of the HCl lags behind the gradual Na2S addition, so the reaction system would be slightly basic. I think if you see the references I just posted above you will see that pH is going to affect the mechanism and that the more nearly neutral reduction condition using only NaHS as the Zinin reagent is going to favor the mechanism producing free sulfur as a byproduct rather than the soluble thiosulfate. So keeping the pH basic is going to make the reduction run cleaner by favoring the mechanism that produces the thiosulfate byproduct. It may even be possible that the disulfide of polysulfide Na2S2 gotten by dissolving excess sulfur in the Na2S could substitute for the use of the neutralizing HCl and favor a scheme where again the desired thiosulfate rather than free sulfur is the byproduct and such variant could also be a high yield reaction. This is an aspect which causes me to have continued hope that a "dry method" or variation, easily improvised Zinin reagent of specific proportions of NaOH and S that are reacted according to a specific heating and sequence of manipulation may still be a workable method that avoids the H2S generation scheme.

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 4-4-2014 at 09:03

It still seems logical that having the reducing agent being made up mostly of sodium hydrosulfide would be best. If you look at the reaction equation where sodium sulfide is used there is a mole of sodium hydroxide formed for every mole of sodium sulfide consumed. This seems to be the reason that sodium sulfide, when used by itself, results in such low yields. If sodium hydrosulfide is used as the reducing agent, the amount of sodium hydroxide in the reaction mixture will be kept very low since the sodium hydrosulfide (acid salt) will neutralize, or mop up, the sodium hydroxide produced by the reaction and form sodium sulfide in the process.

Still a little confused as to why sodium sulfide mixed with sodium hydrosulfide would actually produce higher yields than using just sodium hydrosulfide by itself.

Reaction equation taken from Chinese explosives presentation slides attached.

Sodium Picrate to Sodium Picramate Reduction Equation.jpg - 11kB

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 4-4-2014 at 10:49

It still seems logical that having the reducing agent being made up mostly of sodium hydrosulfide would be best. If you look at the reaction equation where sodium sulfide is used there is a mole of sodium hydroxide formed for every mole of sodium sulfide consumed. This seems to be the reason that sodium sulfide, when used by it, results in such low yields. If sodium hydrosulfide is used as the reducing agent, the amount of sodium hydroxide in the reaction mixture will be kept very low since the sodium hydrosulfide (acid salt) will neutralize, or mop up, the sodium hydroxide produced by the reaction and form sodium sulfide in the process.

Still a little confused as to why sodium sulfide mixed with sodium hydrosulfide would actually produce higher yields than using just sodium hydrosulfide by itself.

Reaction equation taken from Chinese explosives presentation slides attached.

If you want to reproduce the method of Clayton as described in the Communications article then your yield should be 90% same as Clayton.

However, IMO if you want to try to increase the yield beyond that 90% of Clayton to the quantitative range described by Hodgson and Ward using an equilibrium mixture, then you need to emulate that mixture by not taking to completion the formation of NaHS from Na2S via gassing with H2S, so that some higher pH condition is retained by the mixture of Na2S and NaHS. Clearly the pH of the mixed Na2S and NaHS reagent of Hodgson and Ward is more alkaline than the single NaHS reagent of Clayton. So there is the one most likely variable which accounts for the different yields.

See my additional general Zinin reaction references on the preceding page because our last posts have crossed in flight here, and I edited and added references to my earlier post at the same time you were replying to the not yet edited earlier post.

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 4-4-2014 at 13:36

That is a good find. Ok, I feel as though things are making more sense. I am on board with the sulfide ion being a better reductant than the hydrosulfide ion. Obviously the Zinin approach of constantly monitoring pH and adding acid to keep the reaction mixture neutral is best, but the lab method of Hodgson and Ward where they add sodium bicarbonate would get you part way there. It is a buffer, which would keep the reaction mixture slightly basic, maintaining the equilibrium towards the sulfide ion side of things as well as tying up the sodium hydroxide produced in the reaction and lessening its harmful effects (by-product formation).

NaHCO3 + NaOH → Na2CO3 + H2O

A sodium bicarbonate-sodium carbonate buffer solutions table is attached below, courtesy of Sigma Aldrich.

Something I just noticed in that Zinin article, " In some cases, where the presence of excess alkali is harmful, sodium sulfide is used with the addition of magnesium salts which remove the sodium hydroxide as it is formed by precipitation of magnesium hydroxide". Sounds very interesting indeed.

I took a few screen shots from a book on rubber chemicals, which describes production processes for sodium hydrosulfide and sodium sulfide. Apparently, reacting hydrogen sulfide with a sodium hydroxide solution is the most common modern industrial process for sodium hydrosulfide and sodium sulfide production. According to the text sodium hydrosulfide is prepared first and then, if desired, a measured amount of sodium hydroxide based on stoichiometry is added to convert the hydrosulfide to sulfide.

NaHS + NaOH → Na2S + H2O

I know we are past this, but it seemed like a decent reference. I also think I would follow their lead and produce sodium hydrosulfide, using an excess of hydrogen sulfide, and then convert some to sodium sulfide if desired. I don't think I would want to try and weigh the cylinder containing the absorbent solution while the apparatus is in operation. Having the tubing and bubbler in place complicates weighing; even without the poison danger it is a difficult situation. I think the best idea is to stay well away and use an excess of hydrogen sulfide and then add sodium hydroxide. The solution could be weighed at the end though to verify its composition.

Attachment: Sodium Sulfide and Sodium Hydrosulfide Production - From the Complete Book on Rubber Chemicals.pdf (301kB)
This file has been downloaded 813 times

Attachment: Sodium Bicarbonate-Sodium Carbonate Buffer Solutions.pdf (130kB)
This file has been downloaded 4225 times

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 4-4-2014 at 16:36

The hydrosulfide ion works fine as the principal reducing agent but if used alone appears to be yield limited to 90% unless added methanol is the trick that would account for increasing the yield. However it is just my guess really that pH is what is having the effect and is allowing for a secondary and tertiary reaction system involvement when the reaction system is more basic. If you look at the 3 possible Zinin mechanisms, then you can see that any free sulfur byproduct from the reduction by the hydrosulfide ion would react immediately with any normal sulfide present to form sodium disulfide Na2S + S ---> Na2S2 and then
the Na2S2 would subsequently contribute to the reduction as well, but that mechanism would then have its byproduct oxidized sulfur tied up as thiosulfate, similarly as would occur for the byproduct oxidized sulfur of the normal sulfide.
By using a mixture containing the normal sulfide along with the acid sulfide, you are enabling all 3 possible Zinin mechanisms to be occurring, in a mixture where there is sufficient Na2S present that any free sulfur byproduct from the hydrosulfide ion mechanism to be recycled through formation of soluble disulfide instead of accumulating as an insoluble precipitate or impurity in the desired product. By having some Na2S present it assures that the sulfide oxidation byproduct from the reduction will occur as soluble thiosulfate or as unreacted soluble Na2S2 at the completion of the reaction, instead of having a cloudy sulfur milk of precipitated free sulfur byproduct as an undesired contaminant for the sodium picramate. The higher reaction kinetic value for the Na2S2 is likely what increases the yield beyond the 90% which is obtained using hydrosulfide alone as the reducing agent.

The article posted earlier, Reduction of p-nitrotoluene by aqueous ammonium sulfide provides a good insight into the 3 mechanisms which are involved and partly interdependent and sequential, having differing kinetics and occurring at different rates.

Zinin reaction mechanisms.bmp - 259kB

Therefore, for a mass reaction as would proceed from a mixing all at once of the reactants "in a lump" addition poured together to react, there is going to be a most favorable proportional mixture of NaHS and Na2S that should give the highest yield. Some mathematical prediction of the likely composition for such a mixture can be done, but the fine tuning of the mixture to identify the precise optimum ratio of acid sulfide to normal sulfide could be done by experiment.

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 4-4-2014 at 17:42

I see what you mean about the elemental sulfur by-product when pure sodium hydrosulfide is used as the reducing agent. Also, I think I will save the methanol and use water instead for my next experiment. Between us, I think we may have most of the pieces needed for the efficient production and usage of picramic acid and DDNP. Getting this DDNP thing ironed out has been a long time coming for the hobby community. (Stops to pat self on back) ;)

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 4-4-2014 at 19:02

If you look at the relative "power" of the different sulfides as a Zinin reducing agent the reducing power on a molar basis per mole of nitro compound for one nitro to be reduced to amino, the ranking from lowest to highest is

Hydrosulfide (3 moles) > Sulfide (1.5 moles) > Disulfide (1 mole)

However it is clear that a pH favoring the "mass reaction" leading to quantitative yield may be obtained by a mixture of hydrosulfide and normal sulfide. Looking at the ratio of hydrosulfide to normal sulfide as would be optimal for subsequent reaction of the "nascent sulfur" byproduct of the hydrosulfide mechanism, an equal number of moles of the normal sulfide would be desired to be present.

If the normal sulfide was stipulated to be a necessary to be present but "spectator intermediate" for the overall reduction while all of the actual reduction could be attributed to the hydrosulfide and the "recycling" of its byproduct sulfur as the Sodium Disulfide. The equivalents of Zinin reagents for the actual reduction of 4 moles of sodium picrate would then be 3 moles of NaHS plus 3 moles of Na2S (spectator intermediate) converted to 3 moles Na2S2.

Based upon this admittedly oversimplified "projection" of a simplest terms most basic model for the reaction, an equimolar Na2S / NaHS reducing agent would be the starting point with a minimum .75 moles of each to be used as the combined sum per each 1 mole of sodium picrate.

In actual reality the Na2S is not going to function as an idle "spectator" reagent simply waiting for free sulfur to be added to itself so it can form Na2S2. A portion of the Na2S will proceed to act as the Zinin reagent it is, so that portion of the Na2S reacting unmodified and unconverted to the disulfide will be unavailable to sequester the potential amount of free sulfur byproduct from the hydrosulfide mechanism. Therefore the optimum ratio of Na2S to NaHS will theoretically be needed to be enriched aboved equimolar proportion with respect to the NaHS. A guess would perhaps be an increase of one third to two thirds more than the amount of theory required. This estimate would then put the ratio of Na2S at 1 to 1.25 moles per .75 moles of NaHS for each 1 mole of sodium picrate. If I were doing this experimental workup I would probably use a global 105% multiplier on the quantities of reducing sulfur compounds in that range as a starting point for "excess of theory" of the reducing agent to "push" the reduction but gently and allow for some loss compensation for air exposure during transfers.

As you observed before the NaHCO3 being present as a buffer would tend to keep the alkalinity limited to a milder pH associated with Na2CO3 by reacting with the byproduct NaOH. I think the quantity of NaHCO3 is not especially critical so long as there is sufficient amount present, and the quantity used by Hodgson and Ward would be good starting point, or that amount adjusted downward somewhat based upon the quantity of NaHS that would be produced by gassing instead of produced in situ in methanol via the Hodgson scheme of conversion of the Na2S using NaHCO3.

Based on the admittedly inexact modeling described, I think a reasonable expectation for the yields should be at least somewhere in between the 90% yields reported by Clayton and the near quantitative yields of Hodgson, so splitting the difference I think you could reasonably expect 95% yields.

Doing the calculations for the amount of needed NaOH to be gassed with H2S to achieve what weight is needed is all that is left for the theoretical model.

Hennig Brand - 5-4-2014 at 06:54

So are you getting your glassware all dusted off for a series of experiments? :D

Rosco Bodine - 5-4-2014 at 07:47

No, but I wish my other priority chores were out of the way so I could do the experiments. One aspect about experiments I like is that things that have been seen cannot be unseen. The Zinin reaction is complex and has never been truly identified as a single mechanism but can be 3 or more concurrent reactions, and I believe there are likely 4th and 5th reactions that add to the list that would be Na2S3 and N2S4 and I don't believe the 3 finite mechanisms identified are absolutely governing, but are generalizations of what are predominating reaction mechanisms. For example when a "dry process" reagent is made and modified in whatever subsequent ways that affect the sulfur rankings of the mix of reducing compounds that results, it would seem that a mixed system of various polysulfides and sodium sulfide results which can still be a useful Zinin reagent as a mixed system that defies analysis except according to inexact modeling as applies to the Zinin reduction itself. On a mathematical basis trying to identify with any precision what is the exact composition of a polysulfides mixture and how that mixture accomplishes a reduction is an abstract algebra that compares with trying to nail jello to a tree. Zinin reactions being explored comes down to experiments that are based upon some murky mathematics and end up being a whole lot of "try this and see what results" :D

For experimental results we have 3 possibilities:

[A] Yeah it worked just like I figured

[B] Well it worked on paper

[C] WTF!

And of course there may be a combined experiment result of indefinite proportions of the above three, or a not yet identified alphabet soup of other possibilities which follows.

Rubicks cube and the Zinin reaction have commonality as hair pullers, yet there are solutions where everything seems to line up and the jello does get nailed to the tree. A quantitative yield is that point, but the exact reactions are likely to remain enigmatic. So there is an appreciation of the difficulty of Hodgson and Ward giving precise explanation of what was actually occuring in their own reported experiment, understanding that they didn't really know :D

It is almost a tongue in cheek academic joke when a high yield Zinin reduction is reported, to with great interest query the reporter as to exactly what mechanism they attribute their results, knowing they are being assigned a perplexity.

Zinin likely understood the abstract mechanism aspect himself and probably derived great satisfaction from publishing a puzzler that would still be puzzling a hundred years and more later.

This is a convoluted description, but I will try to explain generally how it is that even though following the method of Clayton, it is unlikely that the actual reducing reagent predominating throughout the reduction will be the NaHS that is the starting material.

The potential variant reactions possible in a Zinin reaction system can become complex. For an example, take the third reaction mechanism of hydrosulfide and see that the byproduct of 3 S and 3 NaOH could subsequently react to form an indefinite mixture of Na2S3 + NaOH and IMO it likely does react further since the initial "nascent sulfur" byproduct would be highly reactive and would further react with whatever it could. And the Na2S3 + NaOH as only one example could react with unreacted NaHS present, such as the following reaction/s:

Products of mechanism 3 are 3 S and 3 NaOH from the 3 NaHS used to reduce 1 mole of sodium picrate

The NaOH will react instantly with unreacted NaHS to form Na2S which will further react with the "nascent sulfur" to form Na2S2 and the Na2S2 could also react with more "nascent sulfur" to form NaS3 and possibly Na2S4

(3) NaOH + (3) NaHS <-------> (3) Na2S + (3) H2O ( + 3 S ) -----> (3) Na2S2

According to this scheme then one half of the NaHS reacting according to mechanism 3 would convert in situ to Na2S2 the remaining half of the NaHS for that mechanism as a result of the byproduct NaOH causing conversion of the unreacted NaHS to Na2S and reacting with free sulfur to form Na2S2. So it is clear that even though you may start a reduction using only NaHS alone as the Zinin reagent, because of the complex subsequent chemistry involved, when only the first half of that NaHS has reacted, the remaining half is already converted to other higher sulfides that are not NaHS but mathematically according to theory would be Na2S2.

The Na2S2 formed is not a loss of reducing power for the second half-reaction of what was the original NaHS but is a multiplier of 3X the reducing power of the first half of the NaHS consumed. So the overall reduction becomes one where half of the NaHS is consumed accomplishing only one quarter of the overall reduction, while the remaining three quarters of the reduction are accomplished by conversion of the unreacted half of the NaHS reacting with decomposition byproducts of the first reacting half of the NaHS.

If the Na2S2 does not react in the reduction immediately,
then it can itself react with the nascent sulfur byproduct
and it can further react with other materials present as follows:

Na2S2 + S -------> Na2S3 However the Na2S3 can further react also and be converted back to Na2S2

Na2S3 + NaOH + NaHS ----> 2 Na2S2 + H2O

The potential variant reactions like this soon makes it clear that a Zinin reaction is complex by its nature where the reaction system is in flux with an indefinite mixture of reactions and subsequent reactions possible and probable.

I can guess that the reaction mechanism 3 is expected then
to provide a subsequent path to reaction mechanism 2 even for a reduction where the Zinin reagent being used for the reduction would be NaHS alone. The reaction would likely not just neatly complete according to mechanism 3 but would "recycle" according to mechanism 2. So where does the free sulfur byproduct come from? Obviously the "recycle" does not occur or does not occur completely, depending on the concentration and temperature and pH. But I would bet good money that thiosulfate would be detectable in the completed reaction mixture, even for a reduction done completely according to Clayton, bearing out what I describe.

How you can factor these variants into the estimated theoretical model is not yet nearly an exact science.

Way to go Zinin, nothing like keeping things simple, huh.

A Zinin reaction defies analysis in a way that is so artful that at the completion of the analysis and reaction modeling, the only firm conclusion is likely to be that yes there is definitely sulfur involved in the reaction, just like I thought :D I wasn't kidding when I said earlier that sulfur chemistry of this sort is a safari into the tall grass.

Hennig Brand - 5-4-2014 at 19:02

You were definitely right about the safari into the tall grass. I am definitely ready for some experiments; however I too have obligations (like finishing the last few weeks of a degree). The theory is very complex; too complex in a lot of ways, but I understand the general principles a lot better now and I think it will really help when it comes to running the next set of experiments. Getting those higher yields will also likely mean higher purity right from the post reaction mixture. The low yields are often even worse than they would first appear, by looking at the scales, because of the large proportion of bi-product contamination.

I am curious how much of this was review for you from things researched long ago and how much was new material. You seemed to locate and move through this material rather efficiently.

Rosco Bodine - 5-4-2014 at 22:06

Most of what we are discussing recently is review from files already saved years ago. Because of the ambiguous and complex nature of the Zinin reaction and what sulfur contamination I think is likely in the product, I was intrigued by the alternate methods and was looking at other reductions. But the high yields possible with the Zinin reaction has still intrigued me. A difficulty inherent with calculations for performing experimental Zinin reductions is the complexity of the possible reactions involved. The literature trends towards oversimplified descriptions of what is a complex reaction that isn't as simple as it may appear in a summary equation from a reported synthesis. But the reported good yields for certain Zinin reactions certainly makes them interesting for that reason, while the reaction mechanism is a classic academic curiosity also.

The mathematics of the reaction calculations of Hodgson and Ward is something that would need to be checked again and revisited with analysis reviewing with new comprehension the calculational discrepancy which was appearing before, in light of the recent discussion of the "recycle" type of reaction occurring for an NaHS reducing agent.

As an example, suppose 2 moles of sodium picrate was planned to be reduced by NaHS believed to be the reductant which would be consumed 100% according to mechanism 3.

6 moles of NaHS would be required by "simple theory" to balance that equation represented only as mechanism 3. Yet an unexpected development has occurred when 3 moles of NaHS have reacted, the other 3 moles of the NaHS have "disappeared" through reaction with the byproducts, but not at all disappered from the continuing reduction because the newly formed 3 moles of Na2S2 into which the "missing" 3 moles of NaHS have been transformed acquire a tripling of the former reducing ability. What was originally the 3 moles of remaining NaHS available for reduction of the remaining 1 mole of sodium picrate, has become 3 moles of Na2S2 capable of reducing 3 moles of sodium picrate, while only 1 mole of sodium picrate remains.

So we see the actual "reducing power" of the NaHS originally calculated only according to mechanism 3 has been upgraded in situ by the midpoint of that oversimplified reaction mechanism 3, so that overall the actual reducing power of the originally provided NaHS is doubled, as a result of the appearance of mechanism 2 for half the NaHS that is present. By that development the same 6 moles of NaHS as first thought to be needed to balance the equation and reduce 2 moles of sodium picrate, has become sufficient to reduce 4 moles of sodium picrate. So the original reaction model based on NaHS reducing power according to mechanism 3 is an incorrect calculation based on neglecting to consider the subsequent "recycle" into mechanism 2 and results in attributing to NaHS only half of the actual reducing power
that it actually has, when the "recycle" into mechanism 2 is factored into the model.

Hodgson and Ward may have revealed that they are aware of this complexity about the Zinin reaction, by what may first appear to be an error in stoichiometry, but which is actually not an error. So the stated quantities would need to be interpreted using the multiplier that accounts for the involvement of the mechanism 2 pathway, which effectively doubles the reducing power of NaHS estimated by mechanism 3 alone, and results in only half the quantity of NaHS that would be required according to theory for that mechanism alone. I think I had looked at this possibility
years ago for the Hodgson and Ward article but don't recall what was my conclusion then, but IIRC it did explain what first appeared to be a discrepancy about their numbers.

I think in reviewing this recently we were talking in a circle around this discrepancy that is seen in the Hodgson and Ward article, but there is no simple way to describe this aspect of the Zinin reaction, and no textbooks that I have ever seen are very helpful about revealing this "nuanced" and broader interpretation of the actual Zinin mechanisms, with a good breakdown and description of the 3 reaction mechanisms as a "strange brew" of complex reactions proceeding in parallel.

My impresssion of performing a Zinin reaction is something like churning a sulfide reeking "milk of sulfur" deadly brew while waiting to separate the cream that is the product, and I still call it a *nasty*, potentially deadly reaction. The hydrolysis of inherently hydrolytically unstable Zinin reagents and products is always producing some H2S and it is something comparable to working with a little cyanide, not a really user friendly proposition. H2S is deadly toxic and nobody should ever become complacent about it.

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oElnOb_ookE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 6-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

A deeper look into the Zinin reaction

Rosco Bodine - 8-4-2014 at 03:42

There is some more analysis I have done in reviewing this topic and looking at my old notes. Mower time for the tall grass. To analyze this reaction further and avoid a lot of fractional odd number molar quantities that are harder to follow for visualizing these molecule parts is easier with whole lego blocks, so there is applied an algebraic multiplier across the reactions so that the stoichiometry comes out as whole number values easier for me to then inventory the results for these parallel mechanisms for the range determination of NaHS required by theory.

Based upon the earlier described process the Zinin reaction mechanism 3 can be added to the Zinin reaction mechanism 2 to better describe what is occuring, taking into account the recycle of byproducts from reaction 3 continued as reaction 2.
Here is the summary diagram again for the three main Zinin reaction paths. My multiplied values in equations below this summary diagram will correspond to these ratios as the same reactions stoichiometry held true but expanded by a multiplier to avoid fractional value results.

Zinin reaction mechanisms.bmp - 259kB

The summary equation resulting for reaction 3 with reaction 2

1 ArNO2 + 3 NaHS + H2O ----> ArNH2 + 3 S + 3 NaOH

3 NaHS + 3 S + 3 NaOH ----> 3 Na2S2 + 3 H2O

3 ArNO2 + 3 Na2S2 + 3 H2O ----> 3 ArNH2 + 3 Na2S2O3

4 ArNO2 + 6 NaHS + H2O -----> 4 ArNH2 + 3 Na2S2O3

If the reduction using NaHS as described by the Clayton Communications article proceeds according to the scheme above then for each 1 mole of sodium picrate there will be needed 1.5 moles of NaHS

However, this 1.5 moles NaHS requirement takes into account only the parallel reactions of Zinin reaction mechanism 2 and reaction mechanism 3. But it will also occur to unknown extent that a parallel reaction of mechanism 1 can occur. Formation of Na2S from the NaOH byproduct from reaction mechanism 3 will be instantaneous. Na2S thereby formed can either further react with the free sulfur byproduct or in the alternative the Na2S can react with the sodium picrate as reaction mechanism 1. While the earlier parallel reactions involving mechanism 3 and mechanism 2 would not greatly change the pH of the reaction mixture, this reaction mechanism 1 can (and does) account for increasing alkalinity of the reaction mixture and may be buffered by the presence of NaHCO3, moderating that rise in pH which is already identified by Hodgson and Ward to greatly reduce the yield.

4 ArNO2 + 6 Na2S + 7 H2O ---> 4 ArNH2 + 3 Na2S2O3 +
6 NaOH

This reaction mechanism produces the need for neutralization as is described in the fundamental processes of dye chemistry article.

If reaction mechanism 1 is considered to be an equal possibility for how the Na2S derived from reaction mechanism 3 may proceed, then perhaps half of the Na2S will then act directly according to reaction mechanism 1, while the other half of the Na2S will react with free sulfur and form Na2S2 which will proceed according to reaction mechanism 2.. The actual extent to which reaction mechanism 1 occurs is what will govern the elevation of pH and need buffering or neutralization.

A different scaling multiplier should be used to arrive at whole number quantities.

Reaction mechanism 1 as in Clayton Communications article

4 ArNO2 + 12 NaHS + 4 H2O ----> 4 ArNH2 + 12 S + 12 NaOH

Subsequent reaction of decomposition products with remaining half of unreacted NaHS

[ 12 NaHS + 12 S + 12 NaOH ----> 12 Na2S2 + 12 H2O ]
( if 100% of Na2S reacts with the free sulfur )

In the alternative, if 50% of the Na2S further reacts with half the free sulfur
6 NaHS + 12 S + 6 NaOH ------> 6 Na2S2 + 6 H2O + 6 S

And the other 50% of the Na2S instantly forms and acts as a reducer
6 NaHS + 6 NaOH ------> 6 Na2S + 6 H2O

4 ArNO2 + 6 Na2S + 7 H2O ---> 4 ArNH2 + 3 Na2S2O3 + 6 NaOH

6 ArNO2 + 6 Na2S2 + 6 H2O ------> 6 ArNH2 + 6 Na2S2O3

14 ArNO2 + 24 NaHS + 4 H2O -----> 14 ArNH2 + 9 Na2S2O3 + 6 NaOH + 6 S

For each 1 mole of sodium picrate 1.7143 moles of NaHS would be required by theory for the reduction based upon the proposition that 50% of the Na2S forming in situ from self-reaction of the NaHS decomposition byproducts then proceeded to act directly as a reducing agent, while the other 50% of the Na2S first reacts with half of the free sulfur to form Na2S2 and then proceeds to act as reducing agent. Ideally and most desirably it would be wished that 100% of the instantly formed Na2S would await reacting with the free sulfur and form Na2S2 which would then reduce the sodium picrate without having any affect on the pH since the only byproduct of that mechanism is sodium thiosulfate. But we know that some free sulfur is going to be present which indicates that part of the Na2S is reacting differently and is otherwise occupied and does not form Na2S2. As a result the reaction mixture moving in the direction of reduction is becoming more alkaline which tends to quench the reduction as that alkalinity increases. So the ideal reaction where all of the Na2S would be converted to Na2S2 does not occur and this increases the amount of NaHS required for the reduction of 1 mole of sodium picrate from the 1.5 mole of that ideal reaction to 1.7143 moles based upon a 50% conversion for the Na2S to Na2S2.

Next there may be examined the worst case scenario where 0% of the instantly formed Na2S reacts with free sulfur and instead proceeds to reduce the sodium picrate. Calculations based upon the worst case scenario should then provide the upper limit for the amount of NaHS required by theory per 1 mole of sodium picrate, so that the range of NaHS possible to be a required minimum is then known. For the worst case
scenario there are 2 moles NaHS required by theory for each 1 mole sodium picrate. So for range from ideal reaction 1.5 moles to worst case scenario 2.0 moles or 1/3 more NaHS on a molar basis would be required by theory, is not much difference.

8 ArNO2 + 12 Na2S + 14 H2O -----> 8 ArNH2 + 6 Na2S2O3 + 12 NaOH

Materials possibly useful as a buffer is an ammonium chloride / ammonia solution, or perhaps an ammonium chloride / ammonium acetate mixture.

My impression from observing the reaction done using the more crudely improvised polysulfide containing dry method reagent is that the reduction runs closer to ideal than to the worst case scenario based upon the amount of free sulfur not being great but seeming to be a nuisance contaminant, not a large amount being produced as a reaction byproduct, more like a significant but minor amount trace contaminant.

Reviewing the Hodgson and Ward article again it appears that for reagent (A) that it is indeed 4.6 moles of reducing agent used for reducing agent (A) and that it is an equimolar mixture of Na2S and NaHS and NaHCO3. Reducing agent (B) is Clayton’s reagent. A caveat of sorts is described in the Hodgson and Ward article where they describe testing the reaction mixture to determine when free sulfide was accumulating and showed the end of the reduction. Obviously a positive test would have caused or should have caused interruption of the addition of that reducing agent (A) when only half of the quantity had been added, since half that amount described being made up as reagent (A) is what value is charted as 2.3 and this is where the Hodgson and Ward article descrption becomes enigmatic. But regardless of Hodgson and Wards number discrepancy I am pretty sure my numbers and analysis are correct. If the reducing agent (A) is an equimolar mixture of Na2S and NaHS as described, then that mixture could be achieved by interrupting the H2S addition when the weight of the mixture showed that half of the initially formed Na2S has been converted to NaHS, and then the same molar amount of NaHCO3 would be added as 1/3 the molar amount of the NaOH used to produce the sulfides mixture.

However, it may be that an alternate buffer scheme using ammonium salts could perform better than NaHCO3.

It seems that Hodgson and Ward were in the general area of examining the effect of ammonium salts but their approach was not correct, as if they did not fully understand the Zinin reaction, which is understandable since no one does even after more than 150 years of chemists experimenting with it. The kinetic studies look at the byproducts and try to perform a post mortem on the reductions to guess what mechanisms predominated and led to the products found.

While doing this review there was attention renewed on a patent US2705187 which is classic process chemistry for useful reducing sulfur compounds being produced efficiently by a non-H2S direct reaction of NaOH and S. The temperatures are within operating limits of fluoropolymers which would seem workable as an alternative to expensive alloys. An FEP or PVDF or PFA lab bottle or cartridge filter housing in an oil bath may be workable as a reactor. Im not sure that even the etching would be too excessive for some heavier ceramics or pyrex over the short term since the exposure time is brief. Expendable glassware might be okay in a limited use for this. The etching could prepare it for later adherent coating with a hot melted film of FEP or PFA.

One of the aspects of the reduction schemes using iron and iron salts that would be a beneficial feature is the more pH friendly byproduct Ferric Oxide which doesn't leave a bumper crop of free radical hydroxide as a byproduct driving the reaction mixture alkaline. There are patent schemes where ferrous salts are used along with alkali sulfides in a kind of hybrid reaction where it is likely pH control is more easily done. So it is possible to combine reducing agents and schemes in the same pot and there may be advantage to those hybrid reducing schemes that are part Zinin and part other. The cleanest reduction out of the portfolio of various methods possible is probably the reduction using zinc powder, and that method would probably work similarly to the reduction of nitroguanidine to aminoquanidine. A few possibilities not mentioned are magnesium in methanol as magnesium methoxide, Clemmensen Zinc, or aluminum amalgam. Alkaline sugar and ascorbic acid have been mentioned already. So there is plenty of room left for experiments for this reduction.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 9-4-2014 at 14:45

I said above that for my next experiments that I would save the methanol and go with water. This is apparently a bad idea if the reducer is sodium sulfide and the sodium bicarbonate buffer is used. From Hodgson and Ward, "while the addition of sodium bicarbonate to the sodium sulphide in alcohol greatly improved the reduction efficiency, this does not occur in water alone (see Table II, Experiment 6) since the water-soluble sodium carbonate formed (insoluble in the methanol medium) probably introduces the alkalinity necessary for by-product formation with 20% diminution in yield of picramic acid." Makes sense now that I stop and think about it.

I might try the following in water though. The idea, which came from the Zinin article, is to use a magnesium salt that would precipitate the hydroxide formed from the reduction reaction, as magnesium hydroxide, thereby keeping the pH of the reaction solution from rising and preventing undesirable by-product formation. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and would probably work fine.

MgSO4 (aq) + 2NaOH (aq) -------> Mg(OH)2 (s) + Na2SO4 (aq)

If it wasn't possible to separate the magnesium hydroxide and sodium picramate from each other after the reaction was complete, the sodium picramate could be precipitated as usually and then dissolved in water before filtering out the magnesium hydroxide. Acidifying the sodium picramate solution would then precipitate picramic acid. I think my next experiment may involve Epsom salt.

I am not sure how difficult it will be to remove the precipitated magnesium hydroxide from the sodium picramate solution. It seems like it may be difficult to filter. As long as it can be removed with a reasonable amount of effort, this process would likely be a good way of reducing bi-product formation and increasing yields.

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 9-4-2014 at 16:27

Looking at this now I am beginning to favor my original impression that the Hodgson and Ward description of reagent (A) is actually describing what I first thought it was, which is simply Na2S + NaHCO3 + H2O which is what they are regarding as "equivalent to" when they say "containing" sodium hydrosulfide 5.6g., 0.1 mole, NaHS. Hodgson and Ward reference Hodgson and Birtwell as precedent for reagent (A) and it is clear that Hodgson and Birtwell are describing just Na2S + NaHCO3 + H2O. With the amount of H2O at 40ml plus 8ml included water from the Na2S - 9 H2O mixed with 8.4g NaHCO3 this would have to be kept warm to make solution in the first place and kept warm to prevent the solution from solidifying on cooling because of the formation of the decahydrate of Na2CO3 would otherwise cause the mixture to set up solid on cooling.

For the Reagent (A) of Hodgson and Ward

Na2S + NaHCO3 -----> ( Na2CO3 + NaHS )

For table II, Experiment 7 to actually correspond accordingly would have required 10.6 g of Na2CO3 rather than the 2 g Na2CO3 that were used. The 80% yield reported is less than the 90% yield reported by Clayton for the NaHS used alone. NaHCO3 would probably have better effect.

Another idea is that ethyl acetate could be useful for limiting the alkalinity via saponification to ethanol and sodium acetate. Ethyl acetate is soluble in water to an extent of about 7%

CH3CO2C2H5 + NaOH → C2H5OH + CH3CO2Na

Dealing with the excess alkalinity from the Zinin reaction is something that I think is possible to be addressed with a hybrid method where only part of the reduction is done by the Zinin and the alkalinity produced is managed by a ferrous or manganous salt sufficient to accomplish the remainder of the reduction at the same time neutralizing the alkalinity. Ferrous Sulfate or Manganous Sulfate produces a hydroxide of that metal which has reducing properties and is converted to the Ferric or Manganic oxide, while the alkalinity byproducts from the Zinin become the normal sodium sulfate, or if the chlorides or acetates were used, then likewise the corresponding sodium salt is the byproduct. The soluble ferrous and manganic salts will also precipitate and remove as filterable insoluble or low solubility byproducts unreacted sulfur and sulfides from the spent Zinin reaction.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 10-4-2014 at 07:11

Yeah, I was thinking after I wrote the above post that maybe magnesium chloride might be a better choice than magnesium sulfate. Magnesium chloride forms essentially neutral solutions and magnesium sulfate forms slightly acidic solutions. I wonder though if the amount of acidity produced from the small amount of magnesium sulfate needed, in the rather large volume reaction mixture, would be much of a problem. The magnesium sulfate could be added to the well stirred reaction mixture, incrementally during the course of the reaction as a solution, which may be preferable to adding it all at once at the beginning of the reaction. Using a magnesium salt would be much safer than adding a strong acid like sulfuric acid to control the pH because of the risk of producing hydrogen sulfide gas.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 10-4-2014 at 08:23

It is actually the physical nature of the gelatinous hydroxide which would likely be a hinderance for magnesium which would make me not think that is a good idea. In the alternative, to use manganous or ferrous salts, the hydroxide has three advantages, [1] the reducing ability of the ferrous hydroxide reduces the quantity needed for the Zinin reagent and thereby reduces the byproduct sulfur load [2] the ferrous hydroxide leads to a ferric oxide byproduct that is filterable and causes no remaining alkalinity but instead removes it by double decomposition [3] whatever free unreacted Zinin reagent and byproduct sulfur is present will be sequestered by reaction with the iron or manganese as low solubility sulfides, with whatever portion that is soluble also being able to act as a reducing agent but not having any byproduct alkalinity.

Hennig Brand - 10-4-2014 at 12:19

Looking in my bottle of milk of magnesia, it does indeed looks like it would be very difficult to filter. It would likely just plug up any normal filter. I guess I will be doing methanol and sodium bicarbonate for my next experiment. I wonder if a flocculent could be used to get the magnesium hydroxide to collect and settle.

Attached is an article regarding the solubilities of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate in methanol-water mixtures and acetone-water mixtures.

Attachment: Solubilities of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate in Acetone-Water and Methanol-Water Mixtures.pdf (190kB)
This file has been downloaded 1526 times

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 10-4-2014 at 14:30

Here are some patents of interest

US1689014

US1765660

US1878950

Attachment: US1689014 Reduction using Ferrous Sulfide from Ferrous Sulfate.pdf (214kB)
This file has been downloaded 703 times

Attachment: US1765660 Manganous Sulfide reduction of nitroaromatics.pdf (94kB)
This file has been downloaded 789 times

Attachment: US1878950 Sodium Polysulfide reduction of nitroaromatics.pdf (316kB)
This file has been downloaded 675 times

Hennig Brand - 11-4-2014 at 15:10

Looking at this now I am beginning to favor my original impression that the Hodgson and Ward description of reagent (A) is actually describing what I first thought it was, which is simply Na2S + NaHCO3 + H2O which is what they are regarding as "equivalent to" when they say "containing" sodium hydrosulfide 5.6g., 0.1 mole, NaHS. Hodgson and Ward reference Hodgson and Birtwell as precedent for reagent (A) and it is clear that Hodgson and Birtwell are describing just Na2S + NaHCO3 + H2O.

Yes, you are correct in my opinion. I think that article was deliberately vague and ambiguous, especially given how well the author expressed himself when he felt like it. Given everything I understand now, methanol, sodium bicarbonate and sodium sulfide is a great combination when used in the correct proportions. I spent half the day experimenting; made more sodium sulfide and reduced 5g of picric acid. I am going to wait until tomorrow until I am sure the product is really dry to report the yield, but it looks fantastic and the filtrate was a nice semitransparent sodium picramate color, not the deep red/purple color that is usually seen when there is a lot of bi-product dye(s).

Regarding hydrogen sulfide generation, I figured out why my generator quit early the last time. The steel delivery tube (brake line) was completely plugged. I used a propane torch and heated the tubing, burning away a lot of the blockage material (seemed to be mostly sulfur). It plugged again though after about 20 minutes of H2S generation. I cut the power after the rubber stopper blew out (tighter fitting stopper this time) and waited half an hour or so for the H2S to dissipate before retrieving the sulfide solution. I guess I need a bigger gas delivery tube, and a better way of cleaning it also.

Eight grams of sodium hydroxide was used with water to make about a 75 mL solution. About 150% more sulfur and Vaseline than theoretically needed to convert all the sodium hydroxide to sodium hydrosulfide was used in the generator , though of course it was not all used. The graduated cylinder was weighed before absorption and after. Even though the generator only ran for 20 minutes or so, the weight of the solution had increased by about 3g. This means that nearly all the sodium hydroxide had been converted to sodium sulfide. For simplicity the solution was treated as being composed only of sodium sulfide. About 2 moles of reducer was used for every mole of picric acid.

Monoreduction of Picric Acid - Experimental

Reactants:
5g TNP
0.9g NaOH
3.7g NaHCO3
35mL aqueous sodium sulfide solution (described above)

Reaction Solvent:
50mL MeOH
water from sulfide solution

The 0.9g of NaOH was dissolved in 50mL of methanol in a beaker under magnetic stirring. Once dissolved, the 5g of picric acid was sprinkled in under strong stirring. The 3.7g of NaHCO3 was dissolved in the 35mL aqueous sodium sulfide solution before being pipetted into the reaction flask over a 3 or 4 minute period. There was a thick, yellow/orange precipitate, but the stirrer was not decoupled and kept going. About 2 to 4 minutes after the last addition an induction point was reached and the temperature rose from 40oC to 60oC over the course of 2 minutes and the reaction mixture turned dark red. The reaction was allowed to cool back down to 40oC or so over the course of 15 minutes under strong magnetic stirring. After the temperature had dropped below 40oC an ice bath was added and the temperature brought down to 15oC before 75mL of ice water was added to aid precipitation of the sodium picramate. After 10-15 minutes, and with the reaction mixture at about 10oC, the sodium picramate was separated from the mixture by gravity filtration. Yield looks very good.

I was unsure of how well this would work because the amount of water was too large really (about double what it should have been), also there was some unconverted sodium hydroxide present. Looking at sodium bicarbonate and carbonate solubilities in methanol water mixtures, this extra water would result in at least ten times the sodium carbonate being in solution if common ion effects on solubility are ignored. Some sodium carbonate in solution is still a lot better than an equivalent (or more) amount of sodium hydroxide in solution though. If the gererator had not plugged, the 8g of sodium hydroxide would have been converted to sodioum hydrosulfide which later could have been converted to sodium sulfide by adding another
4g of sodium hydroxide to the solution.

I will post the yield tomorrow, once it's dry.

Cleaning Delivery Tube.jpg - 489kB Generator System.jpg - 240kB After Induction Point.jpg - 403kB Damp Yield 1.jpg - 468kB Damp Yield 2.jpg - 453kB

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 11-4-2014 at 22:19

Excellent to have the Hodgson and Ward ambiguity sorted out. I had an idea further that the reaction of NaHCO3 and Na2S to form NaHS would occur anyway in H2O even without being solubility driven towards completion by the insolubility of Na2CO3 in methanol. But the methanol could benefit the reduction as solvent for some intermediate in the reduction and could be general, no matter what reducing agent is used, so that the methanol may have value apart from any effect regarding Na2CO3 solubility. The presence of some Na2S already waiting to react with free sulfur byproduct that would appear from the reaction mechanism 3 involving reduction by NaHS, would favor the formation of Na2S2 which is the most active of the Zinin reagents. So it could be the reaction is being steered towards Na2S2 formation by use of that mixture of Na2S and NaHCO3 as described by Hodgson and Ward. If the high yields which are being reported by Hodgson and Ward are confirmed then there is one good working method of synthesis identified and verified.

The subliming of sulfur at the high temperature needed for the production of H2S from 30 parts vaseline and 70 sulfur
is an issue reported in the literature for that method. Evidently half of the sulfur that theoretically could react to form H2S is instead sublimed as a mixed vapor with the H2S and then the sublimed sulfur condenses on cooler portions of the flask or in a larger bore condenser or cold trap.

Attached is an article describing some older H2S generation schemes including the vaseline and sulfur reaction which is a pyrolytic cracking.

Also is linked a good page with some useful information about H2S generation.

http://sulphur.atomistry.com/hydrogen_sulphide.html

There is an alternative of wet methods for producing hydrogen sulfide from the mixture of sulfides and polysulfides from reaction of sulfur with sodium hydroxide, possibly in mixture with calcium hydroxide if the mixture should prove more economical, then using HCl for the neutralization. Relatively easily prepared indefinite mixtures of polysulfides contain a significant amount of combined sulfur which will be converted to H2S upon acidification, although much of the sulfur will instead of conversion to H2S be precipitated as free sulfur. Sulfur is cheap and hydrated lime is cheap and washing soda is cheap, so it would seem that a mixture being heated and stirred would form a mixture of sodium sulfides and polysulfides with a precipitation of calcium carbonate which could be filtered out. The residual mixture on acidification should produce H2S.

Attachment: Hydrogen Sulfide Generator Pages from Proceedings_of_the_American_Pharmaceutic.pdf (304kB)
This file has been downloaded 606 times

Hennig Brand - 12-4-2014 at 08:59

Thanks for the good information on hydrogen sulfide. I guess I wasn't using nearly as much of an excess as I thought. That webpage you linked to above has some really good information about hydrogen sulfide.

Monreduction of Picric Acid - Yield

I finally got the sodium picramate from yesterdays experiment nice and dry. From 5.03g of picric acid 4.62g of sodium picramate was obtained, or about a 95% yield. A small amount was not recovered from the filter paper and a small amount was lost during the post filtration wash with ice cold water, but all in all a very good yield indeed. No I did not fudge the numbers, they are real. :)
A picture of the dry yield is attached below.

Dry Yield.jpg - 449kB

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by Hennig Brand]

Rosco Bodine - 12-4-2014 at 10:02

Really good results you have there, and the yield at 95% is about what I was guessing it should be. There are different schemes that can be used for generation of H2S from various easily obtainable and cheap materials, so the general method is very adaptable to various schemes which may be more or less convenient based on the scale and what raw materials are available. DDNP is the original "green energetic" initiator, so this is a good historical interest material still having practical application, even though it does require using more weight of the DDNP as an initiator due to its sluggish DDT which consumes as "kindling" a fair amount of the material during the runup accelleration from ignition progressing to high order detonation. DDNP will still get the job done so long as enough is used being mindful of that DDT aspect and limitation.

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 12-4-2014 at 10:13

Thanks, this is definitely more like it for sure. And, once again, thanks for your help. With regards to the initiating ability of DDNP, I have found that as long as it is not over pressed and strong confinement is used it can initiate picric acid, to high order detonation, using weights very similar to what is needed when lead azide is used.

Rosco Bodine - 12-4-2014 at 11:25

Yes weight for weight DDNP may be half as good as Pb(N3)2 but the same weight of DDNP requires a substantially larger ID cap to comfortably cram enough of the much lower density DDNP in the detonator volume available to get the job done. DDNP is therefore disadvantaged by both its equivocality for substantial DDT critical mass, and disadvantaged by also being a lower density material requiring additional volume to compensate for both differences. Simultaneously the required adjustment of geometry will address the larger critical diameter for DDNP which is also in play. Usually these properties are interdependent. It is the same story generally for any detonator design, the very small dimension detonators require very hot and very fast high density unequivocal initiators like silver or lead azide to get the job done in a small dimension package, but using lower performance materials can easily double the geometry needed. Even really low performance initiators can work if the detonator dimensions are scaled up enough for accomodating the larger critical diameter and multigram initiator charges required for the high order velocity to be attained. For example a lead styphnate initiator or lead picrate initiator type of detonator can be made but they are inconveniently large so they are not really as practical as a more reasonably sized detonator using higher efficiency initiators. DDNP has better performance than those examples of what would be a really poor initiator. So DDNP is fairly identified as a kind of intermediate performance initiator among the various choices of possible initiators. But the literature seems to describe DDNP in more glowing terms and favorable review than would deservedly be a more conservative and practical review.
DDNP is workable, but the experimenter must rely upon their own test results and not rely upon what is described in much of the dubious "trusted literature" which is simply not so trustworthy or experimentally verifiable in its claims for DDNP. Read the literature with healthy skepticism. Then your own experimental results are less surprising when you see what is actually true.

I did an experiment and my experiment doesn't say what the book says. How about that. :D The book is Wrrrrr....wrrrr...WRONG! :D But your experiment is right.

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 12-4-2014 at 16:27

Well I will try to not get into one of those my primary is bigger than yours arguments, but anyway. :D;):D

My last experiment (before I ran out of reinforcing caps) involved the high order detonation of picric acid initiated with 0.4g of DDNP. The picric acid was in a 7.6mm casing and the DDNP was in a 1/4" reinforcing cap placed within the same 7.6mm casing. It looked as though I may have been able to drop the weight even lower than 0.4g, and still achieve high order detonation, but I haven't done the tests yet. Everything is based on some standard, but as far as I am concerned DDNP is a high performance primary. For instance in comparison to TATP, DDNP is a very high powered primary. It doesn't have the ability to detonate almost instantaneously unconfined like lead azide does, which makes it less convenient to use however. I think the literature may be correct, and that DDNP may be superior to lead azide for initiating explosives like picric acid and TNT. Then again it depends on how you define superior. In terms of ease of use and high tolerance for incorrect loading, etc, lead azide is far superior. I would go so far as to say that DDNP requires 10X the education to use effectively as what is needed for lead azide. Lead azide is extremely forgiving of a lack of understanding, with quite large departures from the ideal still producing acceptable results.

DDNP is much less dense than lead azide, which is true, but when you are using 2g picric acid base charges a little extra cap length isn't that big of a deal , especially for the hobbyist. DDNP has very high sensitivity to flame, which is an advantage over lead azide. DDNP is also relatively insensitive to most other forms of stimuli making it a relatively safe primary. Also as you pointed out, it is fairly "green"; it does not contain heavy metals.

I think lead azide is better when used in small caps with more sensitive secondaries like PETN and RDX. I think DDNP can really hold its own when used to initiate picric acid or TNT when used in a reinforced cap configuration.

I am going to have to try silver azide coated DDNP. Apparently a couple to a few percent of silver azide can be formed on the surface of other less unequivocal primaries producing a primary that is much more unequivocal. Maybe that would solve a lot of the inconvenience with DDNP.

I think lead azide is a much more convenient primary for most applications. I also think that very few people have successfully made DDNP, and even fewer people have a clue about how to effectively use DDNP.

hydrated protosulphide of iron

Rosco Bodine - 13-4-2014 at 21:40

Here is a bit of interesting information from antiquity. Everyone knows about the basic chemistry student experiment of heating iron filings and sulfur to the ignition point to form ferrous sulfide. But here is a variation on that procedure which involves a still vigorous reaction which can be moderated with water so that in the presence of steam generated in situ the reaction proceeds similarly as does the higher temperature reaction that proceeds at red heat. With insufficient water present the reaction will actually accellerate from the wet mode reaction and transition to the pyrolytic high temperature reaction as the temperature moderating water is boiled away by the heat of reaction.

More interesting yet, is that the ferrous sulfide product gotten from the wet method reaction is more highly reactive with HCl at lower temperatures to more vigorously produce H2S as would be desirable for an H2S generator use. The byproduct ferrous chloride has typically been discarded, however in this case the byproduct would itself be a useful reducing agent and should not be discarded. Likewise is the ferrous sulfide itself a useful reducing agent if it were to be used directly, instead of being used as a reagent for H2S generation.

Much simplified types of apparatus can be practical for the occasional use where no continuous supply or on demand generator is needed by an individual experimenter. Much of the literature seems to describe equipment designs intended to produce H2S in substantial quantiities for uses which require larger quantities of H2S than an individual experimenter would need, but the materials and methods having advantages for the large scale are adaptable also to the small scale with simpler implementation.

Uncle Paul, Emile, and Jules
http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=fabre&book=...

Attachment: Hydrated Protosulphide of Iron from Hand_book_of_chemistry, Gmelin Vol. 5, pg 230.pdf (189kB)
This file has been downloaded 799 times

Attachment: Pages from A_Dictionary_of_Chemistry_and_the_Allied pg400.pdf (289kB)
This file has been downloaded 915 times

Attachment: Pages from Journal_of_the_American_Chemical_Society.pdf (249kB)
This file has been downloaded 616 times

[Edited on 14-4-2014 by Rosco Bodine]

Hennig Brand - 14-4-2014 at 13:01

Small Correction:
Quote:

This was what I wrote a couple of posts up. It should have said:

If the generator had not plugged, the 8g of sodium hydroxide would have been converted nearly completely to sodium hydrosulfide. Since Sodium hydrosulfide is the product of the half neutralization of H2S and forms an equilibrium in aqueous solution with sodium sulfide and sodium hydroxide the equilibrium can be pushed back in favor of sodium sulfide by adding more sodium hydroxide to the solution. Na2S + H2O <---> NaHS + NaOH

Found some more good stuff for hydrogen sulfide generation I see.

[Edited on 25-12-2014 by Bert]

Pages:  1  2