Sciencemadness Discussion Board

oxidation numbers

toxin - 18-9-2005 at 08:32

I want to know If I am doing these right, please find the oxidation numbers for the following

NOsub2

(NOsub2)super-1

KClOsub3

In NOsub2 a charge is not indicated, do I assume that the sum of the oxidation numbers of the compound is equal to zero ?

I got this sheet with a list of polyatomic ions and there charges and it says Nitrite, (NOsub2)super-1, sum of oxidation numbers is equal to the charge of the polyatomic ion which is -1, does that mean that NOsub2 also has a negative charge even though it is not indicated ?

How would you name NOsub2 isn't it Nitrogen dioxide ?

Yay, answers!

BromicAcid - 18-9-2005 at 08:40

NO<sub>2</sub>
N = +4
O = -2 (Nearly always)

(NO<sub>2</sub>;)<sup>-1</sup>
N = +3
O = -2

KClO<sub>3</sub>
K = +1 (Nearly always)
Cl = +5
O = -2

If the charge is not indicated assume it is neutral. Even though your sheet lists nitrite as -1 that doesn't mean your nitrogen dioxide (NO<sub>2</sub>;) is also minus one, they have different structures and bonding.

neutrino - 18-9-2005 at 10:27

For future reference, there's NO<sub>2</sub><sup>+</sup> (nitronium ion), NO<sub>2</sub> (nitric oxide, one of the few stable radicals), and NO<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup> (nitrite ion).

12AX7 - 18-9-2005 at 14:25

What I don't get is N and Cl don't indicate +4 states, yet NO2 and ClO2 exist?

Hmm well N shows +4 on my periodic table, so in that case I'll ask: what other compounds use this? Is with oxygen the only one?

Tim