Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Reversible color change for DNA seq

crazyboy - 17-11-2014 at 13:54

Hey it's been a while. I'm in a instrumentation class where we have been tasked with designing a novel assay or DNA sequencing technique. I had the idea of designing a technique where the addition of base could be detected by a change in color of a substrate. The idea would be that a fragment to be sequenced would be sequentially exposed to one nucleotide at a time, if it is integrated the pyrophosphate would be converted to ATP as in pyrosequencing however the ATP would activate an enzyme which induces a reversible color change.

What I'm having trouble with is coming up with a small molecule or protein which would be suitable for this. Ideally the molecule will be colorless or have a certain absorbance in one state and then will be converted to a colored state or a state which it has a different spectral absorbance. Also ideally the substance would be regenerated to its original state easily such as by light or heat.

I thought maybe beta carotene or another colored substance with a conjugated pi system could be disrupted by a reductase but I'm not sure how that would be reversed. Alternatively changing the oxidation state of a complexed metal ion.

Alternatively if the molecule could was highly sensitive to pH changes that could work as H+ is liberated by nucleotide integration.

I suppose if all the enzymes were immobilized the signalling chemical could be replaced after each addition but that might introduce new problems (or not)

What do you guys think?

Chemosynthesis - 17-11-2014 at 14:32

Why post this in Organic Chemistry?
Cyclic voltammetry of a transition metal complex that changes color based on pH (similar to PMID 16156624) ala ion torrent sequencing.

crazyboy - 17-11-2014 at 17:14

You're right, probably should be moved to general. It's a hard thing to conceive, if it was simple it's already been done and if it's brilliant I can't figure it out.

[Edited on 18-11-2014 by crazyboy]