Sciencemadness Discussion Board

aged formaldehyde soln. precipitate

joe_aldehyde - 18-10-2005 at 12:01

is the white precipitate in the bottle paraformaldehyde? what would be the best way to depolymerize it? i fuckin googled it but there were mostly abstracts of papers giving no details of their "superior" methods.

S.C. Wack - 18-10-2005 at 13:46

I've never heard of it becoming anything else, which dissolves on reflux with water. Was this stabilized with CH3OH?

joe_aldehyde - 18-10-2005 at 21:15

it contains 10% methanol.
i thought that depolymerization of paraformaldehyde needed at least a tiny bit of OH- ions as catalyst, no?

DrP - 2-11-2005 at 09:16

http://publish.uwo.ca/~jkiernan/formglut.htm

Don't know what it is myself, but this site reckons OH ions and heating at about 60 Degrees for the depolymerization. Any help?

FriendlyFinger - 2-11-2005 at 17:58

Joe, There is a thread at synthetikal on depolymerisation of paraformaldehyde.

UREA FORMALDEHYDE

DrP - 3-11-2005 at 02:47

I have a solution of Urea Formaldehyde polymer in water (there may be some surfactants and stabilizers as it is an industrial product). After about 4-5 months (beyond its use by date) it sets to a rubbery gel (leave it for longer and it becomes solid) - this is obviously the polymer cross-linking, turning the stuff into something that I suppose is a bit like bakelite (phenol formaldehyde). Is there any way to reverse the cross-linking here to 'de-set' the stuff if I catch it early enough??

My guess is - probably not as I don't think it can be done with bakelite, but what about the urea formaldehyde?

Cheers.