Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Neglected RDX Process

quicksilver - 26-10-2005 at 15:51

The use of H2SO4 / HNO3 for the nitration of amines like RDX was explored via a patent wherein the standard nitration of potassium methyleneamidosulphonate yielded RDX. The above is synthed by condensing formaldehyde with sulphamic acid (limescale cleaner).
This would bring the synthisis of RDX to the level of a common nitration and the exploration of nitramines without the nesessity of clear white high % HNO3.
Is anyone familiar with this process and has utilized it with success?
Attached is the patent describing the method in original form.
Anyone able to shed more light on this process?
Merck lists Sulphamic acid mol weight as 97.10: my copy gave me no information on potassium methyleneamidosulphonate. If the formaldehyde is 37% what is the mechanism for synthesis?

[Edited on 27-10-2005 by quicksilver]

Attachment: RDX from sulphamic acid.pdf (204kB)
This file has been downloaded 2018 times

Chris The Great - 26-10-2005 at 16:19

The nitrating mixture in the patent is 80% nitric acid and 20% sulfur trioxide. I've seen the menthod mentioned before, and the 98% range nitric acid is needed, as well as pure SO3. It is actually harder than a normal nitration.

The only advantage I can see is the high yeild and smaller amount of nitric acid used.

quicksilver - 26-10-2005 at 20:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris The Great

The only advantage I can see is the high yeild and smaller amount of nitric acid used.

Superficially however, that sounds like a great deal of advantages....have you or anyone you are familiar with attempted it? What are the proceedures involved?
--- A mixed nitration could be performed with a solid nitrate (yes?) thus circumventing the distilltion issue. On the surface it seems like a neat little lab.

Microtek - 27-10-2005 at 13:09

The problem is that the process requires absolutely anhydrous conditions ( hence the SO3 ) or the sulfuric acid destroys the RDX.

quicksilver - 27-10-2005 at 17:37

Thus without a rather well equiped lab the process is not feasable....(?)

Should that be the case, that is a shame.

When nitrating hexamine directly occationally there is a "flash" from the addition of very small amounts of hexamine into the high grade of HNO3 freshly distilled. This material is near clear and would not contain a sizable percentage of NOx. Is this a common occurance and if so, is there a method to minimize it (like reducing the temp even further than 0 C)?

Axt - 27-10-2005 at 21:06

I'd have to argue against the sulphuric acid destroying the RDX, otherwise the conversion of R-salt to RDX via AN/H2SO4 wouldn't work?!

Unless its actually been tried, I think its worth trying. SO3 may only maximise yeilds, since these are not exotic for laboratories or industry, they have no reason not to use them. Perhaps incomplete nitration is a possibility without N2O5 in solution. SO3 + 2 HNO3 <--> H2SO4 + N2O5.

See attachment for synthesis. They prefer P2O5 to SO3.

[Edited on 28-10-2005 by Axt]

Attachment: Tripotassium 1,3,5-Triazacyclohexane- 1,3,5-trisulfonate.pdf (395kB)
This file has been downloaded 1326 times

Microtek - 28-10-2005 at 00:35

I haven't tried it myself, but someone ( either here or on roguesci; perhaps it was pdb ? ) in the "community" did, and said that nitration of R-salt did work with mixed acids but that yield rapidly dropped off with increasing water content. So, I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that it probably won't work with the kind of mixed acids you can use for NG.

CD-ROM-LAUFWERK - 28-10-2005 at 10:46

H2SO4 hydrolyses RDX, so the yields cant be high...

Axt - 28-10-2005 at 20:41

Quote:
<i>PATR 2700, 3, C631</i>
Simedek (Ref 12) reported the treating of R-Salt with AN & H2S04 to obtn N, N-Dinitro- N"-nitroso-cyclotrimethylenetriamine which on further treating with the nitrating mixt yielded 98% of RDX.

12) J. Simecek, ChemListy (Czech) 51, 1323-26 (1957) & CA 51, 17942 (1957).

quicksilver - 29-10-2005 at 06:38

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt
Quote:
Simedek (Ref 12) reported the treating of R-Salt with AN & H2S04 to obtn N, N-Dinitro- N"-nitroso-cyclotrimethylenetriamine which on further treating with the nitrating mixt yielded 98% of RDX.

EXACTLY... There is no question it can be done.
I will have most of the materials when I can finally get some phosphorus pentoxide this weekend.
The article was a real help. -=Thank you=- I have found some other material by Bockmann as well.

The concept of "All Liquid Feed" interests me as I have a 3 neck flask but not a "five neck flask" as mentoned in the article that further detailed this issue. (Frankly, I have not even seen one). What was mention was the introduction of heximine in solution with glacial acidic acid for this "all liquid feed"....would that funtion equally well in all instances; such as streight nitration...?
My reason for asking is that powder feed has resulted in tiny "flashes" that are dangerous and annoying. This problem had been mentioned in a patent (US2798870) and was one of the chief reasons for a "all liquid feed" in industry to this day. Werner Bachmann copied the liquid feed from Canadian, George Wright (US2434879).
There is such a weath of knowlege on this subject but it's tough to get at....and few people have worked with nitramines in the "hobbiest community", it seems. All help here is DEEPLY apprieciated.

Rosco Bodine - 29-10-2005 at 07:37

Have you tried using hexamine dinitrate instead of plain hexamine to see if the problem with " flashes " on contact with the acid is eliminated ?

Preforming the dinitrate of hexamine eliminates a lot of the exotherm which occurs simply upon neutralizing the hexamine when it hits the acid and it also eliminates 2 moles of the fuming nitric acid requirement for the nitrolysis , since ordinary concentrated acid or less , can be used for the neutralization in advance of hexamine .

Also , and this would need to be verified , it seems like I remember something in the literature about the presence of NH4NO3 in certain percentages premixed with the fuming nitric acid is beneficial to the stability and safety of the nitrolysis , and I believe this was a patent method which applied to all the usual nitrolysis schemes with some variation for each . Does that sound familiar to anyone ? I would have to review the literature to be certain of this . And IIRC it was not a universally accepted method or theory , having some argument in the literature similar to the
" K " process for increased yields which others never seemed to get , but the use of NH4NO3 was for stability and safety and not claiming any increase yield from dubious secondary reactions .

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by Rosco Bodine]

The_Davster - 29-10-2005 at 10:46

Quote:

I remember something in the literature about the presence of NH4NO3 in certain percentages premixed with the fuming nitric acid is beneficial to the stability and safety of the nitrolysis , and I believe this was a patent method which applied to all the usual nitrolysis schemes with some variation for each . Does that sound familiar to anyone ?

It seems that the ammonium nitrate added to the fuming nitric was a commonly known fact in the past, or at least in several old organic chem books from around the 50's that I have read. However, the use of the NH4NO3 in all these books is to "increase yield by allowing the utilization of all the hexamine or HDN's methyl groups". As for the use of NH4NO3 being added for stability, I have not heard that mentioned, not saying I do not believe you, just saying I have not heard it mentioned elsewhere.

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by rogue chemist]

froot - 29-10-2005 at 11:54

I have mixed concentrated HNO3 and NH4NO3 before. It was a while ago but what I do remember is after dissolving the NH4NO3 in the nitric acid an unstirrable crystal sludge resulted. I was lead to believe it was ammonium dinitrate that was formed.

Regarding the link given by Quicksilver (very interesting, thanks). I would just like to clear up weather there is a difference between 'aminosulfonate' and 'amidosulfonate' (sulfamate). Over the ages I'm assuming it may be possible that the names ultimately refer to the same thing. If so..
Just to point out that it states that the methylene 'amino'sulfonate is prepared by reacting ammonium 'amino'sulfonate with formaldehyde, not sulfamic acid with formaldehyde. I would then assume that ammonium 'amino'sulfonate is prepared by a simple acid/base reaction involving ammonium hydroxide and sulfamic acid. Or would there be such a thing as sulfaminic acid?

Rosco Bodine - 29-10-2005 at 15:46

For the NH4NO3 + HNO3 related patent see US2395773 .

There seems to be conflicting information in the patents regarding the usefulness of NH4NO3 and under what conditions it may participate in the reaction .

See US2798870

Among my notes for a suggested but not yet done experiment using HDN as the precursor is nitrolysis by addition of the dry HDN to 97% HNO3 , using 2.2 ml of the 97% HNO3 per gram of HDN , and premixing dry urea nitrate in small amount
with the dry HDN , 5 or 6 milligrams of urea nitrate for each 1 gram of HDN .

I had not yet decided whether or not to use any NH4NO3 mixed with the HNO3 in advance , or perhaps also mixed in small amount with the HDN . These are experiments which I have not yet done .

Rosco Bodine - 30-10-2005 at 04:53

The attached file should be of interest .

In regards to the use of NH4 salts with HNO3 in the patent US2395773 , a 91% yield of RDX is reported in example 5 .

Even though the ratio of HNO3 used in all the examples is so high as to negate any economy , it is the comparative nature of the examples which is interesting , showing that the ammonium sulfate really increases yields .

There is another thread which is related to Ammonium Pyrosulfate , and one potential usefulness may be found in in RDX synthesis if the pyrosulfate is found to have the same or perhaps even better effect as a nitrolysis catalyst as the normal sulfate . Since the pyrosulfate has the ability to take up water and convert to the acid sulfate , it should be tested to see if it has value even beyond ordinary ammonium sulfate .

Attachment: US2395773 RDX via HNO3 and NH4 salts.pdf (237kB)
This file has been downloaded 1678 times

quicksilver - 30-10-2005 at 07:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine

Also , and this would need to be verified , it seems like I remember something in the literature about the presence of NH4NO3 in certain percentages premixed with the fuming nitric acid is beneficial to the stability and safety of the nitrolysis , and I believe this was a patent method which applied to all the usual nitrolysis schemes with some variation for each . Does that sound familiar to anyone ? I would have to review the literature to be certain of this . And IIRC it was not a universally accepted method or theory , having some argument in the literature similar to the
" K " process for increased yields which others never seemed to get , but the use of NH4NO3 was for stability and safety and not claiming any increase yield from dubious secondary reactions .

[Edited on 29-10-2005 by Rosco Bodine]

This is an excellent idea. I just took a look at the patent...GOOD STUFF!
The "flashes" are something I had hoped to address with an "all liquid feed" mixing the hexamine w/ Glacial Acidic Acid but the NH4NO3 idea is a good one. The flash is anoying and potentially dangerous. I thought it had to do with temp, the hex or HDN "splashing" into the acid; but to no effect. It would happen once in a nitration....I simply don't understand it. But now I hear that it has happened elsewhere...
I really want to try my hand at alternative methods of working with hexamine ever since I saw the beautiful needle crystals I got from my HDN.

Thanks again.

quicksilver - 30-10-2005 at 07:29

Quote:
Originally posted by froot
Or would there be such a thing as sulfaminic acid?

I have a large PDF Merck (11th ed.) and could not find any "sulfaminic" acid. But that doesn't mean it doen't exist of course. I just could not find any info....and the search engines continue to correct the name....:P

quicksilver - 8-11-2005 at 06:21

Quote:
The attached file should be of interest .

In regards to the use of NH4 salts with HNO3 in the patent US2395773 , a 91% yield of RDX is reported in example 5 .

Even though the ratio of HNO3 used in all the examples is so high as to negate any economy , it is the comparative nature of the examples which is interesting , showing that the ammonium sulfate really increases yields .

There is no question now; HN4NO3 addition DOES increase yields. EVEN with a 5:1 ratio. Out of context of the patent's original intentions (12:1) a simple experiment showed this to be a continious 70%+, which is good with a 5:1 HNO3. The addition should follow the patent which is a very small amount of the HN4 salt measured to the HNO3. The safety issue was paramount in my concerns and indeed the HN4 addition plays a unique role, of which I do not understand (the patent did not explain why either)......but it is the method of choice if direct nitration of HDN or hexamine is utilized.

Axt - 8-11-2005 at 07:00

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
HN4 salt

Dyslexia :P

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilvera simple experiment showed this to be a continious 70%+,

Does that mean you just followed the patent recieving 70+% yeilds? which example?

See attachment for NH4 salt + hexamine + acetic anhydride -> 2 RDX. Not as useful as the patent which dismisses acetic anhydride, but it adds to the discussion.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by Axt]

Attachment: A New Method of Preparing the High Explosive RDX.pdf (528kB)
This file has been downloaded 2313 times

Rosco Bodine - 8-11-2005 at 12:59

With regards to the usefulness of NH4 salts in the nitrolysis reaction producing
RDX , the sulfate salts are even more interesting than is ammonium nitrate ,
since the yield is increased even beyond
what is gotten using the nitrate . The sulfate is more interesting also because there are a series of sulfate salts , not only the normal sulfate , but the acid sulfate , and the pyrosulfate , which have
untested potential .

It is not clear if the NH4 salts will have as much value in increasing yields in nitrolysis
mixtures where a lower excess of HNO3 is
being used , and HDN is the precursor instead of hexamine . Neither is it clear if
the stoichiometric ratio of NH4 salt which is optimum should be calculated on the basis of the amount of HNO3 , or on the basis of the hexamine or hexamine contained in HDN . So there are some unknowns with regards to adapting the patents ratios to a more economical nitrolysis using from 2 to 2.5 ml of 1.5 HNO3 per gram of HDN . Also it is known that urea nitrate in .5 - 1% added to the
hexamine by itself can give a 4 or 5% yield increase in the nitrolysis using low amount of HNO3 , like 2 ml HNO3 per gram of HDN . Dicyandiamide ( and probably even better its nitrate ) produces a similar increase when used the same way . The one thing in common about these two substances and ammonium salts is that they tend to act as anti-oxidants in nitric acid , reducing the oxidizing decomposition products of nitric acid to nitrogen and water , while themselves being decomposed . Another
variable is whether it is better to add the NH4 salt to the acid , or premix it with the HDN or hexamine , or apply both strategies .

It is this property of ammonium salts which accounts for a more pure form of nitric acid being obtained by distillation
of H2SO4 + NH4NO3 mixtures than is gotten from use of alkali nitrates .

Since nitrolysis mixtures are heavily polluted with the very sorts of unstable decomposition products which behave similarly as an accellerated decomposition
of HNO3 itself , this is probably why is
realized the usefulness of NH4 salts and
urea and dicyandiamide in the nitrolysis
mixtures , as they stabilize the deteriorating acid and oppose the autocatalytic decomposition from accumulating byproducts , maintaining a higher nitration quality for the acid while the nitrolysis is in progress by slowing its
deterioration to a more oxidizing and contaminated acid . This is even more important when the lessser amounts of acid are being used for economy .

That's my theory concerning the usefulness of NH4 salts under conditions
which are much different from the K-process parameters , and involve no
" recombinant formaldehyde " reactions
which seem unlikely to me . As I see it ,
no free fromaldehyde would long survive in a nitrolysis mixture , to be reacting with anything except the nitric acid itself and
quickly converted to formic acid as a stable
end product and byproduct in the mixture .
I just can't visualize any Knoffler style scheme for the utilization of the formaldehyde , maybe in reaction with nitroamide which could be present , but
not according to the classical textbook
comments on the Knoffler reaction ....IMHO those theories just have it wrong whatever is occuring to explain some anomalous utilization of byproduct formaldehyde . It may be that formaldehyde is somehow being returned to the reaction , just not by the mechanism they are suggesting , which is doubtlessly an oversimplification of what is actually occurring . A nice way of saying they have an idea of what has occurred but little clue as to the mechanism :D Anyway , there are
many complex reactions occurring in a nitrolysis , and there is probably a different explanation for the reactions which are most likely at different temperatures and concentrations of
acids and NH4 salts . Only in certain
reaction conditions which are specific to
the particular temperatures and ratios of reactants , will an increase be produced
beyond a plain HNO3 nitrolysis . If the
correct proportions are not used , then
a negative effect is the result , and that
is something of an enigma itself to explain .

Rosco Bodine - 9-11-2005 at 06:56

Originally posted by Axt
Quote:

It would not be any surprise at all to me if the PATR abstract concerning this route to RDX is a typographical error or a misinterpretation , and that this route to
RDX is not possible .

It would seem more logical to me if the
further nitrolysis of R-Salt was accomplished by AN + HNO3 , rather than
AN + H2SO4 as PATR is saying .

quicksilver - 9-11-2005 at 07:04

Quote:

Does that mean you just followed the patent recieving 70+% yeilds? which example?

Mean Dyslexia you? Happens me to never.

Actually, I wanted to avoid working with the older methods and try something new like an R-salt process or the titled method using sulfamic acid but I just couldn't afford the chems and I just hate distilling acid... But Roscoe posted that patent re: higher yields via ammounium nitrate....Hell, I had to try it.
But mind you I am not THAT wasteful of acids. So I used a 5:1 ratio with DNH and simple hex w/ the addition of NH4NO3. I need to be looking at the patent and I dont have it in front of me but I believe I used Example 2 so that is one part by weight ammonium salt to fifty parts acid (tiny bit) but my extrapolation from that varied from the example which used a 1:12 ratio of acid to hexamine. I used a 1:5. I received 23.5 grams totally dry product from 25 grams hexamine - That's close to 70 when I looked at the DNH yield which was better and averaged so I would say I was about at 70 via the process. I don't have my notes here so I can't show the math but it's close...(I just got taught a lesson about drying my product and made sure that stuff was BONE dry this time) :D My DNH nitration was much better but I don't want to post the figures as that was a smaller one and I don't have the figures in front of me (but all the other factors were the same, temp, time in each bath, etc).
The major issue was that when I used a simple nitration previously I has a "flash" when I added the hex (it would actaully fire!) even in amounts that were tiny. It was dangerous and time consuming. By the use of the patent proceedure I received no flash and I believe my yields improved by worthwhile percentage. Previously I believe that from a ratio of 25gr to 125 gr of HNO3 I would get about 19gr and it would take all damn day (using un-nitrated hex). I am extremely careful and wear the appropriate protective gear but that flash seemed unavoidable. I didn't enjoy nitarting hex as it seemed that it in-and-of-itself was wasteful of material. My purpose was not to make RDX per se' but to learn more about the niration process. Thus if I had x amount of starting material and received y amount via an intermediate nitration (DNH) in a sence I was receiving close to the same final product. If I could improve the final yield even if it was a few perrcent and not have to waste hex through a di-nitration, that was useful information, plus eliminating the flash....it seems like I got just what I had hoped for in that info. Example 2 claimed 85% yields as I remember but they used a lot of acid. 12 to 1 ratio I believe.

Jeez, I just re-read this post, it's early out here and I'm at work - I am babbeling.....forgive me; you get the idea of what I was trying to get accross.
:o

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by quicksilver]

quicksilver - 9-11-2005 at 07:44

Quote:
With regards to the usefulness of NH4 salts in the nitrolysis reaction producing
RDX , the sulfate salts are even more interesting than is ammonium nitrate ,
since the yield is increased even beyond
what is gotten using the nitrate . The sulfate is more interesting also because there are a series of sulfate salts , not only the normal sulfate , but the acid sulfate , and the pyrosulfate , which have
untested potential .

It is not clear if the NH4 salts will have as much value in increasing yields in nitrolysis
mixtures where a lower excess of HNO3 is
being used , and HDN is the precursor instead of hexamine . Neither is it clear if
the stoichiometric ratio of NH4 salt which is optimum should be calculated on the basis of the amount of HNO3 , or on the basis of the hexamine or hexamine contained in HDN .

Your thoughts on accellerated decomposition are well taken. I wonder were these processes to take place in industrial settings if some decomposition could be avoided..... However from what little I worked with I would say that the quality of the HNO3 has an impact in a small-scale experiment. - It DID indeed work out the way the patent pointed to. But I would hasen to add that this was not preformed repeatedly and that on other occations I have gotten some variences for no explainable reason I could find. But not this time.
When variences have occured in times past I noted everything I did. But I can find no yardstick for them.
In this instance I took the leap that the stoichiometric ratio of NH4 salt which is optimum would be calculated on the basis of the amount of HNO3. But you say Dicyandiamide [& urea nitrate] may also be of value....and point to them acting as anti-oxidants in nitric acid. This rings a bell as acid quality has been a big thing with me. If it's REALLY clear white fuming; I get results.

I had thought about the sulfate and it's potential. Since for no other reason than it's unbelievable availablity I would enjoy testing it as well. - Could you please elaborate on the pyrosulfate? :P

Rosco Bodine - 9-11-2005 at 09:03

There is a thread I started in General about Ammonium Pyrosulfate . See the details there . It really seems to me that there is little published about the material which is so easily made and may have value in many different possible syntheses , including RDX .

I have in mind an RDX experiment for which I have not completed my best guesses about the temperatures and times , but here is what I am thinking :

6.4 grams of Ammonium Bisulfate are
melted and dehydrated by strong heating to a clear melt endpoint at ~400C , which
should produce a weight loss of .4 grams .
The beaker is stoppered when cooled somewhat , and when solidification begins
the material is stirred with a glass rod to
prevent it forming a solid monolith .
100 ml of cold d. 1.5 HNO3 is added and
( hopefully ) the ammonium pyrosulfate will be dissolved .

45 grams of Hexamine Dinitrate is mixed in advance with .3 grams of Urea Nitrate ,
and is gradually added at 20-25C to the
HNO3 and ammonium pyrosulfate solution , reacted for 20 minutes past
the end of the addition and the mixture
dumped onto 750 ml of crushed ice and water .

100% of theoretical yield of RDX would be 37.53 grams

80% of theoretical would be 30 grams RDX
which is about the amount which would make me happy if the reaction proceeds
according to plan .

quicksilver - 9-11-2005 at 16:45

Quote:

See attachment for NH4 salt + hexamine + acetic anhydride -> 2 RDX. Not as useful as the patent which dismisses acetic anhydride, but it adds to the discussion.

You know I just realized something that I did that should be pointed out.....the PDF file you posted made me think about it.....
When I said about 70% yield I should have used the term "solid precipitate" as the amount of HMX (or Heaven knows what) is unknown since I did no melting point test! Re-reading the text you posted I just realized that Bachmann was invested in the synth of RDX not simply a solid precipitate.
However the CONCEPT of the use of ammounium salts is certainly a viable one IMO.
Of casual interest may be that I raised the temp of the 2nd bath to 60 C for 15 minutes after which I used cracked ice (approx 1 liter). Total nitration time being the hour it took to add the material to the acid which was maintained @ 15 C and the 15 minutes of elinimation of liniar nitramine elimination via raised temp (hot water bath). So that there was very rapid cooling. That has proven itself to be a good foundation in the past.

quicksilver - 9-11-2005 at 17:03

Quote:

45 grams of Hexamine Dinitrate is mixed in advance with .3 grams of Urea Nitrate ,
and is gradually added at 20-25C to the
HNO3 and ammonium pyrosulfate solution , reacted for 20 minutes past
the end of the addition and the mixture
dumped onto 750 ml of crushed ice and water .

100% of theoretical yield of RDX would be 37.53 grams

80% of theoretical would be 30 grams RDX
which is about the amount which would make me happy if the reaction proceeds
according to plan .

This would be fantastic for only 100 ml of acid!
The whole issue of the theoretical amount of acid and that which is utilized in practice puzzels me. I am turned off by the demands of acid by many energetic material synths in patents ( twelve to one ratio is really too much for me....as in the patent we are talking about....) but at THAT level it makes the endevour practical.
When I read 70 grams of hex to 875 grams of acid I thought I read it incorrectly and it was really 375!
:o

What do these guys think; that acid is free or something?
I hope you try it: I am very curious.

Rosco Bodine - 9-11-2005 at 20:35

The acid utilization efficiency for RDX
really does stink when compared to
the efficiency for PETN . For example
of you take that same 100 ml of ~97%
HNO3 and dissolve in it 1 gram of urea nitrate , and while cooling in a generous capacity ice bath , sprinkle in gradually 33 grams of pentaerythritiol at a rate so that the temperature of the well stirred mixture is kept between 18 and 23 C
( not more , red fumes appear @ 25 C ) , for a reaction time of 1 hour and then the mixture dumped over 1000ml crushed ice
and water , the product rinsed and neutralized , dried and recrystallized from
acetone will be 73.6 grams of purified PETN will be obtained , which is 96% of
theory .

So if 30 grams of RDX would be a good yield of RDX from the 100 ml of d. 1.5 HNO3 , compared with 73.6 grams of PETN
from the same 100 ml of HNO3 , the synthesis of PETN is 2.45 times more
productive in terms of the acid utilization .
Clearly the nitration economics are more favorable for PETN than for RDX .

quicksilver - 10-11-2005 at 06:53

Quote:
The acid utilization efficiency for RDX
really does stink when compared to
the efficiency for PETN . .

No question! I had thought the same thing; in addition to the mixed acid nitration ability when dealing with PETN. The only factor when looking at the whole comparison is that ETN (which exists as a cheap OTC source in line with hexamine) does not keep as well (to my knowlege) thus the higher priced penta-alcohol must be utilized. {This is of course when we are speaking of OTC source for experiments and one does not have a ready chemical company. otherwise the priice is close to the same}.
I don't want to get totally OT but that's the case isn't it? Does ETN lack the stability of it's more complex brother??? In the E&W thread that conclusion was reached, was it not? Or did the fellows who reached it not purify their product to any reasonable extent...?

Rosco Bodine - 10-11-2005 at 14:58

Most definitely in terms of stability RDX
is better than PETN and PETN is better than ETN . But I wouldn't give ETN a bad review on stability , no worse than nitroglycerin or nitrocellulose , if the ETN
is indeed completely nitrated ETN , well
washed , neutralized and purified , with
some stabilizing of the correct sort . My experiments with ETN have foucsed on its use as an energetic binder , and in melts
with some other materials like PETN , and
the compositions seem unchanged after
more than a year of storage , no discoloration nor odor nor weight loss .
Maybe ETN alone has lower stability compared with its eutectic compositions .
But even the unused original sample of
pure ETN isn't showing any decomposition . So I don't know what the story is with the stability problems
others have reported , maybe the material is sensitive to variations in methods and storage conditions .

quicksilver - 10-11-2005 at 16:29

I found an old post of yours (I think)....... I stumbled on it when I was looking for some info on pyrosulfate and posts from that era...You got a yield of 300ml of 1.5 NA from ammonium nitrate and drain opener...?
We have the same set-up for distilltion, I believe. I have a 2L 24/40. Is the quote below something you remember? I saved it from a little while ago. And if it is, it's incredible! It makes the whole RDX process appear viable even using a non-acidic anhidryde technique! 300ml is some weight. Well worth the time and nearly dirt cheap.

OLD QUOTE:
"650 grams of the NH4NO3 prills were placed in a 2,000 ml RB 24/40 flask ,
which was equipped with a 12 X 40 mm rare earth stirbar , and heated by an Electromantle stirring mantle . The 3 way distillation adapter was equipped with
a top thermometer , and side discharged
into a Pope Scientific flexible teflon connecting tube to an angle adapter on the top of a 600 mm Graham condenser cooled by recirculated ice water . The discharge of the condenser was fitted with a side tubulation straight vacuum adapter having a vent line for remote discharge of any fumes from the closed system , and a 500 ml Erlenmeyer receiving flask was pinch clamped to
the discharge of the straight adapter .

650 ml of 92% drain cleaner SA was poured through a long stem funnel inserted through the vertical opening
in the distillation adapter , and the thermometer and 24/40 bushing adapter
was then inserted to close the apparatus . The stirrer was started in
auto-reversing mode with heating at 30%
to slowly bring up the heat and gradually dissolve the prills , and then the stirring was set to maximum in single direction mode . The heating was very gradual to allow for any offgassing which typically precedes such distillations with a
" false boil " , which requires a temporary cessation of all heating to manage . This preliminary offgassing and crud layer formation occurred as expected , and dissipated quickly after 10 minutes , whereafter heating was resumed at 16% to initiate the distillation and reduced back to 10% as the mixture began to foam . The reaction goes through a sort of induction period where it simply foams with a head of foam about
12 - 18 mm thick having the appearance of effervescence like the head on a mug of ale .....not a typical boiling , and the
vapor refluxes fully within the flask , not
reaching the thermometer . Dry terrycloth
toweling was wrapped around the upper part of the flask and the distillation head to insulate it against heat loss , and in a few minutes the thermometer began to indicate rising vapor , with the first distillate coming over at 86 C and the cooling pump was started . The distillation
proceeds very smoothly almost from its own heat of reaction with very little supplemental heating at 10 to 14 % on
the rate controller . The nitric acid comes over at a rate of 1 to 2 drops per second
and the vapor is somewhat superheated
in the reaction flask , as the reaction producing the nitric acid is occuring in a range of estimated 105 - 120 C , well above the boiling point of the nitric acid
evolving as vapor from the reaction mixture . The distillation proceeds with
a gradual increase of the temperature of
the distilling vapor , at 100 C early in the distillation , rising to 105 C @ 150 ml in the receiver , 108 C @ 170 ml , 112 C @ 200 ml , 115 C @ 225 ml , 119 C @ 280 ml , 121 C @ 300 ml .....whereupon the
heating was ended and the distillation stopped , accumulated product ~ 87% of
theory based upon NH4NO3 .

100 ml of the HNO3 was carefully weighed using a Class A volumetric flask which was carefully dried and tared in advance , using an Ohaus 311 quad beam scale . The density of the HNO3 was determined to be 1.5003 which is about 96.8% HNO3 . The color of the acid is about like a light ale , very pale yellow ."

WAS THIS YOUR STUFF? - It's very nice if you think it's a repeatable concept!

Rosco Bodine - 10-11-2005 at 17:11

Yeah that was my post that got misdirected to the old server during the changeover and lost in limbo for awhile . Then it was imported and pasted back into the thread .

I am sure I once had the process worked out to quantitative yield , but thinking back on it now it seems like it may have been a two stage distillation which I was doing years ago . There was a routine where an excess of H2SO4 was used to first distill d. 1.5 nitric until a measured quantity had come over , and then the receiver was changed , an additional amount of NH4NO3 was added and the distillation continued to produce azeotropic nitric as a second yield utilizing the excess acid from the first distillation , and the combined " fractions " amounted to the quantitative yield , with part being d. 1.5 HNO3 , and part being d. 1.41 HNO3 , 97% and 68% respectively .

I'll probably find the notes from where I worked it out the first time , after I work it out again . Keeping track of lab notes is the only way not to be continually mystified by your own work :D

Boomer - 11-11-2005 at 07:01

"...the receiver was changed , an additional amount of NH4NO3 was added "

I had come up with the same idea, since AN from 50-kilo sacks at 15$ per sack is *much* cheaper for me than 96% sulphuric at 7$ per litre! From memory I mix 300g AN with 350ml SA, and after discarding the first few ml which are 'blood' red, distill off 140ml nitric, then add 150g more AN for a second crop. I don't remember the second yield, nor the concentration. But it was over 53% for sure (giving better NC than my 53% store-bought nitric). I know I could get over 140ml in the first step, but working without vacuum it gives a purer product stopping early.

Those 30g RDX from 100ml nitric are not *that* high IMO. I regularly get 23-25g with said acid and 50g HDN, which is just under 60% of theory. IIRC Microtek claimed 70% yield, but he might have vacuum-distilled his nitric. (You listening? Please clarify!)

Has anyone here tried *identical* batches with and without adding AN, UN, ammon persulfate etc? I'd like to see the difference in figures. NOT in a patent but in home-brew reality!

Rosco Bodine - 11-11-2005 at 08:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
"...the receiver was changed , an additional amount of NH4NO3 was added "

I had come up with the same idea,

( Great minds think alike ) :D

Quote:

Those 30g RDX from 100ml nitric are not *that* high IMO. I regularly get 23-25g with said acid and 50g HDN, which is just under 60% of theory.

Big difference between 60% and 80%
and getting to 90% would be a full 50% increase .

Quote:

Has anyone here tried *identical* batches with and without adding AN, UN, ammon persulfate etc? I'd like to see the difference in figures. NOT in a patent but in home-brew reality!

I have been thinking about how to most intelligently proceed with an experiment
which would seem most logical as a first
step in testing the validity of the patent
describing the use of NH4 salts in a way different from the 80 C " K- method " .

I think before going off on something of a tangent with the pyrosulfate , that first
it would be more sensible to see if the
regular sulfate will give good yields with
a lower acid ratio than the patents example 5 which produced a 91% yield ,
but using HDN instead of hexamine as in the patent , along with the lower acid
ratio .

I have neutralized some ammonium bisulfate with an excess of ammonium hydroxide in order to produce some normal ammonium sulfate for this purpose . Even though it may add yet another variable to complicate things ,
I will probably use a small amount of urea nitrate also since there are reported benefits for doing this and I tend to do it routinely as a treatment for d. 1.5 acid
since I don't bother clarifying it .

I have some HDN on hand so when I have time I will do a test synthesis to
see if a similar increased yield as the patents 91% can also be realized with a lower acid ratio and using HDN instead of hexamine . In my estimation such an experiment would go directly to the heart
of the matter of real interest about improving the regular straight nitric acid
methods which use no anhydride .

Microtek - 11-11-2005 at 13:27

I got a yield of 74 % by using 1 gram HDN to 2 ml HNO3. The acid was not vacuum distilled, but was >95% and completely clear ( dry air as explained in another thread around here ). My goal was to get the best HNO3 economy I could, as my distillation apparatus was rather small. This scheme gave 0.31 g RDX per ml HNO3.

Rosco Bodine - 11-11-2005 at 16:47

That 74% yield may hold at an even
lesser ratio of HNO3 to HDN , such as
1.7 ml HNO3 per each 1 gram HDN ,
but it is getting into the range where the
concentration of the acid is a more significant factor in whether you can
maintain yields at 74% or see diminishing yields because of the increasing dilution
of the acid from the relatively greater byproduct water from the nitrolysis .

See the attached patent page 2
Example 1 . The acid is of 99.5% concentration , and the nitrolysis
described is for hexamine . Doing
the rough mathematical analysis ,
it looks like the ratio is for each gram of hexamine ~ 3.84 ml of the HNO3 ,
producing a yield of 74.3% .

Extrapolation for HDN instead of hexamine , that is 1.7 ml of HNO3
per each 1 gram of HDN .

Perhaps the inclusion of NH4 salts which are catalytic would be of benefit that may
offset the deterioration of the acid so that
the utilization of the acid is improved sufficiently at the lower ratios to improve the economy of the reaction even with lower concentrations of HNO3 like
95 - 96 % acid . If this occurs , the economy of the nitrolysis might improve
considerably in terms of yield of RDX per
each ml of HNO3 , even with decreasing
perentage yields based on theory . For example if a significant added amount of HDN was only 50% converted to RDX ,
it would be worthwhile to gain the additional end product from the less
efficient conversion of the final portions of HDN , even though it would lower the
overall percentage yields based on theory
for HDN . The economics of the acid utilization are important enough that it
influences the rationale about where the
" extra " amount of HDN is no further value for causing diminishing return or
instability of the reaction . For example
if the basic synthesis gives 80% yields
based on HDN , and adding half again the amount of HDN reduces the theoretical yield to 65% , the overall economics favor
the 65% reaction if acid utilization is the priority . It gives me a headache to analyze these sorts of curves to find the
" sweet spot " for the economics of such reactions , a task which is only done from observing many reactions studied in depth by the devoted bean counter :D

Attachment: GB658976 Cyclonite Improvements.pdf (410kB)
This file has been downloaded 1134 times

Rosco Bodine - 12-11-2005 at 07:04

The attached file may be of interest .

The last abstract is especially peculiar since most sources report decomposition
of RDX by H2SO4 .

Attachment: RDX related abstracts.pdf (81kB)
This file has been downloaded 1279 times

quicksilver - 14-11-2005 at 06:45

Quote:

That is a whole can of worms for me. I have NOT gotten identical batches. I have used the same equip, time frame, temp. The same starting weights....I actually can't think of an area that I can adjust at this point. Other than perhaps UV light....?

Rosco Bodine - 14-11-2005 at 07:40

The experiment which I have been contemplating , after a review of
the references believed to be pertinent ,
is as follows :

57 grams of HDN mixed dry with 0.3 grams of urea nitrate , added to 100 ml of the 96.8% HNO3 in which is dissolved
7 grams of ammonium sulfate , @ 15-20 C
with 25 minutes reaction time past the end of the addition . Based upon the
reactions believed to predominate , this should result in a spent acid concentration
of about 87% HNO3 .

Hopefully in the next few days I can perform the experiment and report some results .

Rosco Bodine - 19-11-2005 at 06:53

The experiment was done with addition of the HDN at 21 C over 30 minutes and after stirring for an additional 30 minutes the mixture was drowned . A very poor yield of RDX resulted .

It is my belief that some heating to a higher temperature is definitely
required for these reactions which use lower amounts of HNO3 .

In early patents as well as many of the later patents which describe much higher HNO3 content mixtures , nearly all of the procedures describe heating the mixture to some extent after all of the HDN is added and has reacted for a few minutes at a lower temperature . One patent describes heating to 40 C for a holding time of at least 1 hour , and several patents describe heating to 55 - 60 C for
at least 5 minutes , which seems to be about the minimum even for higher acid content muxtures .

Urea Nitrate is described as useful to be added to the mixture after the HDN addition and reaction at the lower temperature is completed , before the mixture is raised to the higher temperature . At the elevated temperature there is a decompositon of byproducts , a reaction controlled and stabilized by the urea nitrate , so that it proceeds smoothly and safely .

But I believe that it is more than just the
decomposition of byproducts which is caused by heating the mixture , particularly for the lower acid content mixtures . The heating is what actually drives to completion the reaction which
has started at the lower temperature during which the HDN was added , so heating the mixture is essential for much more than just decomposition of byproducts . Omitting the heating and holding time for a low acid content mixture
will therefore drastically reduce the yield ,
since the heating is necessary to drive the desired reaction to completion , regardless of the decomposition of byproducts . There is likely a correlation between byproducts and the desired product in a low acid content mixture , so you don't get one without the other , and evidently you get very little of either in the absence of the required heating :D

Actually I suspected this was true since I have experimented before with RDX many years ago and never had good yields from any experiments which did not involve heating . But I wished to give the
" cold process " described for higher acid content mixtures in a few patents another
try to see if the added ammonium sulfate would change the reaction profile with regards to temperature , since I hate heating a mixture like this which would seem to have so much potential for an
" event " .....wouldn't it be nice if the process could be completed at a lower temperature , reducing the fanny pucker factor by at least 50% overall :D

But alas .....no such luck !

I am going to have to repeat the experiment , with the heating that appears to be essential , to get any decent yields from the low acid content mixture . This is possibly a general rule ,
even for higher acid content mixtures , because years ago I even tried the
" cold process " with much higher acid content mixtures and had poor yields anyway even with the higher acid ratios ,
never getting any decent yields of RDX until I tried heating the mixture and discovered it was the heat which did the trick for the reaction . The optimum temperature and holding time may be quite specific to a particular acid content reaction mixture . Just guessing , about 55 C for 5 - 10 minutes seems like a reasonable starting point for this mixture , with a subsequent experiment
at 15 - 20 minutes for comparison .

quicksilver - 20-11-2005 at 09:03

Quote:
The experiment was done with addition of the HDN at 21 C over 30 minutes and after stirring for an additional 30 minutes the mixture was drowned . A very poor yield of RDX resulted .

OK, in this experiment, heat was the absent from any period during the process - To the best of my understanding the heat in the older Bachmann, etc was to reduce or eliminate liniar nirtamines. Not only reduction of unwanted nitramine formation but (fill in the possabilities)....?
What WAS the yield? Really bad....as in "20-30% bad" or worse? Do you believe that the process has no positive features, [albiet we could use heat before that was a conclusive fact]. It SEEMED like a workable concept.
Your timing with this is fantastic as I was just going to start distilltion this morning and try it on some HDN thats dry now. I guess I'll back off - - unless I'll try the same and & add 55C for 15 minutes and compair to the original....(?)
Hell, I think I'll run it anyway but with heat. I'll get back with my starting weights but I think I'll have enough HNO3 about 25gr.

Rosco Bodine - 20-11-2005 at 11:39

The actual yields from two experiments will not be known until the samples are completed drying . I will provide the dismal numbers when I have them :D ,
but from what I see it is probably on the order of a 35% yield using the ammonium sulfate cold process , and maybe 45% using a parallel warm process . All I have confirmed by the two experiments is that
warmer is better for a low acid content mixture , both during the addition of the
HDN and for the raising of the temperature even higher afterwards .
I also am finished with ammonium sulfate which seems to be a bust , and will try ammonium nitrate as the ammonium salt for future experiments with low acid content nitrolysis mixtures .

It appears to me that the addition of HDN is better at a rate of addition regulated 40 C than at 20 C , and that after a few minutes past the end of the addition ,
raising to 60 C for about 10 minutes is
about right . There are visual markers for the reaction when it is actively proceeding , effervescence during the additions with a temperature rise , which soon subsides and has to be maintained by subsequent additions . And after the temperature is ramped up beyond 50 C ,
a second stage of effervescence occurs
with the decomposition of byproducts and/or completion of the earlier reactions . This second stage of the reaction is mildly exothermic and its completion will be marked by a sudden dip in temperature by 4 - 5 C from the
stable temperature of 60 - 63 where it was actively effervescing . Whether it is
best to quench the mixture right then when the dip in temperature is noted ,
or whether it is best to drain the hot water bath and allow a slow cooldown before drowning the mixture , is a matter of which I am not sure .

For the warm process I mixed 1 gram of urea nitrate with the HDN , and I also mixed another 1 gram of UN with the acid
and the ammonium salt .

I did notice that the quenched reaction mixture for the warm process reeked of
formaldehyde , but the mixture from the cold process was nearly odorless .

Also I am thinking that microteks proportions are likely about the limit in terms of efficiency of acid utilization , and if that method using just HDN and HNO3
does give 74% yield reliably , then it is
an optimized procedure which will be difficult to improve . What I am seeing
is making me doubtful of the adaptation of the patents improved yield methods for higher acid content mixtires to have similar value in improvemnet of yields for lower acid content mixtures . But I will reserve conclusions in that matter until after tests using NH4NO3 as the ammonium salt .

I am also contemplating using even higher temperatures for finishing the reaction , 75 C perhaps , but I am unsure
if I will do this . I absolutely cringe at the prospect of heating such a mixture which seems to be heckling me and daring me .... as if it was quietly chanting

" Sprengel rules ! "

as the mercury is steadily rising :D

Microtek - 21-11-2005 at 06:19

I did try a synthesis using 1 g HDN to 1.5 ml HNO3 when I was conducting this series of experiments, but got poor yields. I didn't try anything between these concentrations.
In all the experiments I stirred the mix for 10 min at 20-30 C after end of addition, then heated to 50-55 C and held that temp for 5 min. I then allowed it to cool down with stirring until 35 minutes had elapsed from the end of addition. Then the mix was drowned.
I used very small batches like I usually do; 4 ml HNO3 was the basis for these experiments. Therefore it may or may not be safe to scale up ( and of course, the yield may or may not improve ).

Boomer - 21-11-2005 at 07:10

I know that industrially they use(d) efficient cooling during this stage (destruction of linear nitramines) to control the exotherm. Wonder what would happen without cooling, and at what temp. My gut feeling tells me that with most of the hex already reacted, and the non-reacted 20-30% partly decomposed, there would not be enough fuel for an *explosion* (ala Sprengel HE). I could imagine a runaway decomposition, but less violent than for NG. Reason: RDX is much more thermally stable, and the mix without SA will boil off earlier, limiting the temp.

Still nothing for my kitchen... Someone else wanting to try it deliberately? :P

quicksilver - 21-11-2005 at 07:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Microtek
I used very small batches like I usually do; 4 ml HNO3 was the basis for these experiments. Therefore it may or may not be safe to scale up ( and of course, the yield may or may not improve ).

You got it....I am going to go over the whole of the experiment and perhaps alter temp only (perhaps just 5-10 degrees). And in addition I am going to use the MicroTek concept. here. .:D
I would be really pissed if I wasted a 2-3hour distilltion. But it does seem too intriquing to not give it a try.

Rosco Bodine - 21-11-2005 at 09:13

The acid quality and concentration requirement is very rigorous in the use of low acid ratio to HDN reaction mixtures ,
and the point of diminishing returns for
using too low an acid ratio for the acid being used is a point where a sharp drop in yields will result . So it pays to err in favor of using a bit more acid than is the minimum you estimate you need . It won't adversely affect the yield to use a little more than the minimum amount of acid , while it will drastically reduce the yield by a disproportionate amount if you use a little less by the same amount .

For example using 10% more acid than you estimate is needed won't impact the yield more than +1% , but using 10% too little acid can reduce the yield by 30% .

Microtek was using a double distilled and airwashed acid . It wouldn't hurt at all
to use 10% more acid of a less refined variety acid , perhaps even 20% more , in attempting to obtain a similar yield .

Update :

The samples from my two experiments based on 55 grams HDN with 100 ml HNO3
and 7.5 grams ammonium sulfate are dried and weighed .

Cold process produced 15.5 grams
Warm process produced 19.0 grams

I believe the yield in total grams of RDX would have been greater from using only 45 grams of HDN , since it appears that 55 grams is already into the area where there is a drastically reduced yield caused by too little excess of acid being used .

If my guess is correct , a gradual reduction of the amount of HDN will reach a point where the maximum amount of RDX is produced , and this will represent
the point of optimization for acid utilization efficiency . The optimum amount of HDN could even be below 45 grams , perhaps 42 or even 40 grams .

[Edited on 21-11-2005 by Rosco Bodine]

W Process

Axt - 21-11-2005 at 14:23

The article I attached early in this thread is quite vague when it comes to the condensatiion of K-sulphamate with formaledhyde, doesn't give concentrations nor pH, it must be assumed its run in acid solution as they "neutralise" it to pH5.

KOH & formaldehyde were reagent grade, sulphamic acid was dishwasher cleaner marked "99% sulphamic acid".

17.3g potassium hydroxide was dissolved into 75ml water, cooled to 0°C then added 30g sulphamic acid. pH was now 3. The solution was again cooled to 0°C a few crystals precipitated so it was about saturated. 25.1g 37% formaldehyde was added, no significant exotherm was observed and solution only slowly raised to room temperature where it was left overnight then filtered. Yield 16.1g (35%).

17.3g potassium hydroxide was dissolved in 25ml water, into the hot solution was then added 30g sulphamic acid, some bubbling was observed. Still into the hot solution resulting from the exothermic dissolution/neutralisation was poured 25.1g 37% formaldehyde. The solution erupted in formaldehyde fumes and the condensation was over in about 15 seconds resulting in 22.3g (49% yield) of product.

So, I wouldn't recommend either way but it seems hot and concentrated works best. The reported yield in the article was 50%.

An attempt to nitrate the product with 30g KNO3, 100g H2SO4 & 16g condensation product resulted in nothing, After 3 hours I increased temperature to 60°C where it went into solution but no precipitate. Solubility is a problem and it would be best to finely powder the condensation product use a long nitration time and good stirring.

I did later find reference to it working in your HNIW thread Microtek.
"<i>By the way I got "cyclonite W" without oleum. Reaction go in KNO3-97%H2SO4 mix but yeild is lower (I get approx 45-50%: 3gRDX from 12g K-salt 20g KNO3 30ml H2SO4). </i>" VasiaPupkin

Looks to be 50% yeild of a 50% yeild.

Boomer - 22-11-2005 at 00:17

"Cold process produced 15.5 grams
Warm process produced 19.0 grams"

That equals 34% and 41% respectively, putting it in the range of my *worst* yields from 50g/100ml without ammonia salt addition. :(

This leaves the most important question open: What yield would have resulted from 55g/100ml *without* the salt addition? And secondly, what quality was the acid? For anything but home-brew, non-vacuum nitric it 's a pity. And a proof for your over-proportional yield-reduction caused by too much HDN.

Would you mind to try 50g and 45g with *the same* acid? And of course 55g without the ammonium sulphate, and everything at different temps please ... :D we keep you busy!

When next weekend I distill my next nitric, I will do my share of tests. What I need is at least your acid density (and colour) for my results to be of any value. I might also try the pyrosulphate, it's one of the things we have in multi-kilo bags in the company, unlike nitric :(

Rosco Bodine - 22-11-2005 at 05:23

The acid was good quality almost colorless , to the point that it was made colorless on the mixing with the first few crystals of urea nitrate .

I have gotten better yields from even hastily distilled red acid ...using the Hale method proportions and hexamine , so it's probably not the acid that's the problem .

I think the yield problem resides with the proportions and temperatures and reaction times not being where they should be . It would require several more experiments using varying proportions of
HDN to find the optimum , and then still more experiments testing the impact of NH4NO3 and I believe Urea Nitrate also , to see how the standard reaction which has been established is affected . It may be awhile before I go further with RDX experiments , so anybody else feel free to continue the work .

Boomer - 13-12-2005 at 09:26

I finally distilled some nitric, so here come the first results:

1. In 60ml freshly distilled nitric (d=1.53 at 0C) were dissolved 5% AN and 2.5% urea nitrate by weight. 25g HDN was added in 5 portions at 15-25C
(ice bath when needed). Mix was let stand at RT for 15 min, then heated to 55C within 3min, held there for 12.5 min and poured in 800ml ice water.
Neutralised in the filter with some 1M soda sln. then more water until neutral to litmus. Dried yield was 17.1g = 82%. HURAY :D

2. As above with 50ml nitric. Gave 15.4g or 74%. :)

3. With 50ml but without AN + UN. Nearly dry this morning, looks like at least 15g again. (Little time and temp variations unfortunately, I'll tell you tomorrow). ???

More coming....

[Edited on 13-12-2005 by Boomer]

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2005 at 12:47

Quote:
I finally distilled some nitric, so here come the first results:

1. In 60ml freshly distilled nitric (d=1.53 at 0C) were dissolved 5% AN and 2.5% urea nitrate by weight. 25g HDN was added in 5 portions at 15-25C
(ice bath when needed). Mix was let stand at RT for 15 min, then heated to 55C within 3min, held there for 12.5 min and poured in 800ml ice water.
Neutralised in the filter with some 1M soda sln. then more water until neutral to litmus. Dried yield was 17.1g = 82%. HURAY :D

2. As above with 50ml nitric. Gave 15.4g or 74%. :)

Good experiment , breaking 80% with an economic
HDN to HNO3 ratio is exactly the idea :D . Looks like
a good step towards a general method if it is
consistent .

Those results are tracking nicely with what I was guessing about the " sweet spot " ratio for HDN to HNO3 being something in the area of 40 to 42 grams of HDN per 100 ml of ~ 97% HNO3 . Your experiment #1 represents 41.66 grams HDN per 100 ml HNO3 . To allow a slight excess of
HNO3 and thereby provide a bit of insurance against the occasional poor yield from a reaction that is sensitive to acid quality , or other variables , I will probably settle for 40 grams
of HDN per 100 ml of HNO3 . To use microteks 50 grams of HDN per 100 ml HNO3 instead , would result in almost the same amount of RDX , but the quality requirement for the acid is more stringent and it uses more HDN than Boomers proportions in example #1 . Boomers proportions would likely give more predictable results in the presence of variables and even better predictability would be likely settling on 40 g. HDN per 100 ml HNO3 as a rule of thumb proportion providing a bit of headroom for reactant and reaction condition variables .

The raw number yield figures for RDX should be weighed as being only part of the story concerning the efficiency of the reaction where acid utilization is really the more significant
consideration for a lab scale synthesis , and the other factor
more important is reproducibility , getting consistent and predictable results . Increasing the excess of HNO3 favors
predictability for the reaction .

Experimenting with the effects of NH4NO3 and urea nitrate
makes sense for the likely increase in yields and the safety of the reaction . Another possibile candidate salt which may
have usefulness added to the acid is anhydrous magnesium sulfate , from baking dry epsom salt . This does react with
NH4NO3 to form a deliquescent double salt or mixture of ammonium sulfate and magnesium nitrate , which has dehydrating properties . It could possibly function as a dehydrating agent in the nitrolysis mixture . This might benefit the yields if it did not have some other negative effect on the reaction .

Boomer - 14-12-2005 at 04:09

I could kick my own balls for letting the reaction conditions go astray :mad:
Yield of test No3 was 16.1g btw, which is 77%. Now does that mean that the addition of AN/UN did *decrease* yield? Or was it my 'fault' to let it react 4 min longer, and let it go up to 61C max instead of 55C, which turned out to be beneficial? Were those 10ml more nitric wasted in test No1 (only 1g more RDX for 15g more acid)? I am really angry at me! All I can do now is give more details:

- The reaction time after the last addition was chosen as 15 minutes for a reason in all three tests. This was the time an exotherm could be seen (rising from 15C to 26C and staying there in a 16C room), before it cooled down.

- In the third test, the heating time was 17 min instead of 12.5. Also the temp rose higher (61C instead of 55 like planned. The first time I had the thermometer in the water bath (55C), the second time I swapped it between the bath and the mix to find the mix approx 3C above the bath. It is a safe guess the bath was also at 58C in the first test. The last time the bath went to 58C, hence the high reaction temp. These deviations were caused by stupidly doing something else in parallel….

- The acid used must have been of better quality than usual. I recently went to distilling in three increments: From 400ml 96% SA and 400g AN the first 10ml are distilled off, receiver changed for a yield of 160ml of ‘the good stuff’, then 150g more An added and the old receiver put on again to use up all nitrate. Only the middle fraction was used for the RDX tests. No vacuum btw and 1-2 drops per second.

- Plus, in my older experiments I assume the HDN was not too good. In fact it had been stored at RT for some month and smelled of formaline. This, together with the better acid, must have been the reason for the good yields.

Unfortunately I am out of nitric again (60+50+50ml = 160ml duh). While I am happy with the results, they leave many questions open: Why no effect of the AN/UN? Would the first yield have been even better without? Why did 10ml more acid give only 1g more product? …

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Boomer]

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Boomer]

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2005 at 10:04

Quote:
I could kick my own balls for letting the reaction conditions go astray :mad:
Yield of test No3 was 16.1g btw, which is 77%. Now does that mean that the addition of AN/UN did *decrease* yield?

Yes , in the *lower ratios* of HNO3 to HDN ( having less acid in excess of theory for RDX ) the addition of salts can be counterproductive . For example if you took microteks 2:1
reaction system and added NH4NO3 and / or UN to it , the
yields might decrease substantially for that 2:1 reaction system . However , the efficency of your reaction #1 is
greater than microteks in terms of HDN conversion and very nearly as good in terms of absolute acid utilization efficiency . So there is no reason for you to be displeased with the result as it is likely nearer to a good general method which is more forgiving of small variables than
microteks method .

What I was saying earlier about predictability applies here
because microteks proportions are more susceptible to small variables . It would be more likely that ten different experiments with the 2:1 ratio would give ten different results , than a reaction system based on a 2.5:1 ratio .
The lower the ratio , the more chance the reaction will
fail to produce useful yields predictably from one experiment to the next under identical conditions . It is therefore desirable to give up a little in the area of absolute acid utilization efficiency , when the gain is in better predictabilty
and higher conversion for the HDN . Seeking maximum acid utilization efficiency also puts the reaction system right on the peak of a steep slope into diminishing yields if any of
several variables adversely affect the reaction . So a good general method will not seek some absolute maximum yield or efficiency at the expense of good reproducibility for a slightly lower yielding but much more reliable reaction .

If you were to graph the reaction efficiency for a good general method , there would be something more like a
plateau region on the graph describing the reaction mixture where good yields are obtained across a range including the point where yield is maximum , instead of a steep slope upwards to a sharp peak followed by another steep slope
downwards from that maximum . The graph having the
plateau region will describe a reaction which is less susceptible to variables .

Quote:

Or was it my 'fault' to let it react 4 min longer, and let it go up to 61C max instead of 55C, which turned out to be beneficial? Were those 10ml more nitric wasted in test No1 (only 1g more RDX for 15g more acid)?

Not really wasted in my opinion anyway . You are looking at absolute acid utilization efficiency as the goal with maximum yield of RDX in grams per ml of HNO3 , regardless of the conversion efficiency for the HDN and the reproducibility
which are also important factors . This sort of nitpicking
over the absolute acid utiliztion efficiency will likely never lead to a good efficiency good general method which is forgiving of small variables , and always gives acceptably good yields but at the slight expense of falling slightly short of maximum yields . It is something analogous to fine tuning a racing car to get an extra 10 miles an hour top speed above the 200 miles per hour it can do reliably all day without any problem , but the expense for that extra 10 is
that the engine might disintegrate on the first lap at the increased speed if the oil temperature is 5 degrees warmer .
The logic which applies to the analysis will determine which
implementation is superior for accomplishing a hundred laps reliably at 200 , or having bragging rights for one lap once in awhile at 210 :D

Quote:

I am really angry at me! All I can do now is give more details:

- The reaction time after the last addition was chosen as 15 minutes for a reason in all three tests. This was the time an exotherm could be seen (rising from 15C to 26C and staying there in a 16C room), before it cooled down.

- In the third test, the heating time was 17 min instead of 12.5. Also the temp rose higher (61C instead of 55 like planned. The first time I had the thermometer in the water bath (55C), the second time I swapped it between the bath and the mix to find the mix approx 3C above the bath. It is a safe guess the bath was also at 58C in the first test. The last time the bath went to 58C, hence the high reaction temp. These deviations were caused by stupidly doing something else in parallel….

- The acid used must have been of better quality than usual. I recently went to distilling in three increments: From 400ml 96% SA and 400g AN the first 10ml are distilled off, receiver changed for a yield of 160ml of ‘the good stuff’, then 150g more An added and the old receiver put on again to use up all nitrate. Only the middle fraction was used for the RDX tests. No vacuum btw and 1-2 drops per second.

- Plus, in my older experiments I assume the HDN was not too good. In fact it had been stored at RT for some month and smelled of formaline. This, together with the better acid, must have been the reason for the good yields.

Unfortunately I am out of nitric again (60+50+50ml = 160ml duh). While I am happy with the results, they leave many questions open: Why no effect of the AN/UN? Would the first yield have been even better without? Why did 10ml more acid give only 1g more product? …

Even better , don't be so picky about the acid quality , and
try an even more conservative 2.5:1 ratio for 3 experiments modeled on example #1 to see what is the reproducibility
and if yields will go even higher than 82% to maybe 88% based on HDN . If such an outcome occurs , then you will
pretty well have tagged the conditions for a general method .
I'll buy generalization and reproducibility with acceptably good yields at the expense of very little in terms of absolute
acid utilization efficiency , as a good bargain any day :D

You see that generalization will give you a " general recipe " that is guaranteed to work well every time , whereas nitpicking the conditions for absolute acid utilization efficiency will only identify an exceptional reaction condition where a maximum yield is obtained for very precise conditions that will likely be different by some variable that will have bearing when you try to repeat your own " maxed out " and " too refined " procedure . The next batch of distilled acid being different by even a fraction of a per cent ,
may be sufficient variable by itself to cause very different
results from what was carefully worked out before . But
a good general method is able to accommodate such variables without being adversely affected .

Boomer - 23-12-2005 at 10:38

Update: made another batch of nitric (250ml) and tried the first/last fraction for RDX. This is in colour between WFNA and RFNA, hence I call it WTFNA
(what-the-fuck nitric acid, i.e. I dont care). The *same* batch and bottle had given me 80% instead of 92% yield for MHN, and similar batches
preciously 30-40% only for RDX using the 1:2 ratio. And now comes the surprise:

7g of HDN where treated like above, using 21ml of the 'bad' acid, and letting it react for 20 min at 60 +/2 C. Result was 4.75g or 81%.
So a 1:3 ratio will forgive less-than-perfect nitric. It was dark yellow and had a density of 1.515 at -4C (or was it 0C? See above).
Makes d=1.48 at RT, from memory, is that 90% HNO3 considering the NOx content?

[Edited on 23-12-2005 by Boomer]
EDIT F*cking format to read, made it less wide

[Edited on 23-12-2005 by Boomer]

Rosco Bodine - 24-12-2005 at 16:17

Very interesting .

The data from experiments producing >80% yields of RDX
from the HDN , using 5% AN and 2.5% UN added to
the HNO3 of 97% down to 90% concentration , indicates
useful ratios of grams HDN to ml of HNO3 in the range of
1:2.4 for the 97% acid increasing to 1:3 for the 90% acid .

This is tracking nicely with my estimate of 1:2.5 as good for
the main distillation product HNO3 which is about 96.8% HNO3 . I think I will probably even nudge that ratio to 1:2.6 for my own future experiments , as a hopefully reliable " rule of thumb proportion " , forgiving of the variables which are sure to be present from batch to batch . These are still low acid ratios in comparison to most of the described industrial methods .

simply RED - 27-1-2006 at 10:11

Boomer, did you purify the acid after destilation?
You distil H2SO4 - NH4NO3, right?

Greetings for the good yield, I only get such with Merck acid - purged with oxygen for an hour.

[Edited on 27-1-2006 by simply RED]

Boomer - 30-1-2006 at 03:57

I tried purging with O2 from a bottle, but it was only slightly yellow anyway and did not get better by purging. Maybe I should have warmed it. And it was the middle fraction, the first and last few ml were collected separately. The first post on this püage tells proportions.

I am confused: Made two more batches, from a different batch each of NA and HDN. Yields were not consistent with last time, but consistently worse! 137ml nitric with 55g HDN gave 33g RDX, and 47ml with 19g gave 11.4g. That means 72% yield both times.

The first time I noticed lots of bubbling during the 15' at 55C, so I thouht it decomposed for some reason. So the second time I only warmed to 40C, but twice as long. Same result! I do admit the acid was month old, but stored in total darkness and below -15C. It was definitely better than the WTFNA from the test I did with the 'bad' fraction of acid. The HDN was also very dry, it lost less than 0.4% weight in a desiccator overnight. WTF went wrong? Not that 72% is thaaat bad, but still ...

simply RED - 30-1-2006 at 07:56

It is always very slightly yellow. Problems occure when it is dark red. Dark-red acid decomposes HDN on contact...

Homemade HNO3 in my experiments gave yields between 30% and 90% all times. Always irreproducible.
Very interesting - homemade fresh ditilled (at 100 deg C) HNO3 was usable for RDX without purification, while Merck "100%" was usable only after good purging.

Anyway, I never made acid enough pure to be used in dinitrourea synthesis. And start to think it is only possible in laboratory or at least well equipped garage.
Fumehood was the factor I missed...

another possible nitrolysis catalyst / acid dehydration reagent

Rosco Bodine - 14-1-2007 at 22:30

The wheels have been turning in old Rosco's head ,
wondering what value that bottle of Magnesium Oxide
sitting on the shelf in the health food store might be for
an off label use as a nitrolysis or nitration " enhancer " :D

And by golly it just could be a damn useful component
for reducing the water content in various processes
due to the high affinity for water of the nitrate of magnesium
which would form , at the expense of some of the acid
of course for forming that nitrate ......and I haven't run
the numbers on it yet , but it sure would seem to have promise of a net gain in that regard .

And it should be completely compatable with other additives
like urea nitrate or ammonium nitrate in the nitrolysis mixture
for conversion of HDN to RDX . This use of MgO added to
the acid mixture could also have value in many other nitration
mixtures where more radical dehydrating reagents have been found to be useful .

MgO + 2HNO3 ------> [ Mg(NO3)2 - 1 H2O ] mol.wt. 166.05

Added MgO will easily absorb 90% of its own weight of additional water beyond the monohydrate formation to form the trihydrate , and 180% of its weight to the pentahydrate .

MgO mol.wt. = 40.03
HNO3 mol.wt. = 63.01 ( X2 )

See the attached patent . In the patent process is
described the use of separately made Magnesium Nitrate
Trihydrate as a dehydrating agent ......and I am suggesting
even going beyond that and enhancing the dessicant effect
further by forming the nitrate in situ from the oxide .

If it is wished to make the magnesium monohydrate separately , so as to avoid any consumption of acid in its formation , simply long boiling of MgO with ammonium nitrate
to a cessation of evolution of ammonia should result in
a solution of Mg(NO3)2 . Heating this to dryness and then
to 330C produces the monohydrate .

Alternately , MgCO3 may be substituted in that boiling for
MgO . And if no source of MgO or MgCO3 is convenient ,
the MgCO3 can be precipitated from mixed hot solutions
of epsom salt and washing soda . So there are different
ways of obtaining / utilizing the Mg(NO3)2 monohydrate .

Another possible simple route to Mg(NO3)2 would be to
boil a mixture of Ca(OH)2 with mixed solutions of epsom salt and ammonium nitrate , until evolution of ammonia ceased ,
filter out the precipitated CaSO4 and concentrate the residual
solution of Mg(NO3)2 followed by dehydration by baking out the solids at 330C . But this strategy could be complicated by formation of double salts , so I am not certain this would work , but I think it likely would work .

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US5012019 Magnesium Oxide as Dehydrating Agent for HNO3.pdf (234kB)
This file has been downloaded 1430 times

quicksilver - 15-1-2007 at 08:09

This is very fine indeed: a great find - as it seems applicable to so many things....to bad I have to work on MLK day. As this is something to test drive.
O.T question:
Do you think the acetonitrile / trioxane route is a no-go?

Rosco Bodine - 15-1-2007 at 09:21

Regarding the OT question ....I wouldn't necessarily call it a "no-go" , just not sure what is the real advantage if any .

Actually I think that triazone would be a higher priority
interest for investigation of possible RDX or keto-RDX ? precursor usefulness , if there were a list of favored
" experiments to do " as possible more efficient routes to RDX or equivalent analogues .

Didn't really give it much thought at the time or since , but
the triazone material did seem very interesting
when I came across it .

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4812#pid5...

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

quicksilver - 16-1-2007 at 07:42

I'm there - ....just as has been expressed before; my head (also) turns when seeing a flash of flesh from a promising looking girl and esoteric routes always intregue me as well. :D
The links were down to the posted material dealing w/ Ketone N so I couldn't read them but what I wonder is what is being done today: if the most efficient methods are not common knowlege re: RDX on lab scale (not industrial). I just can't see modern researchers still limited to mid-scale nitrations, etc. but I've been dead wrong before. Perhaps RDX is only produced on such a large scale that there has never been any need to move away from the simplier / direct methods of RDX production(?)...

Rosco Bodine - 16-1-2007 at 10:23

This idea of using Mg(NO3)2 monohydrate as a nitrolysis and/or nitration acid dehydrant ,
is very intriguing to me , more than any idea I have ever considered as having possible value in nitrations actually . It would be a totally OTC available route to providing a dehydrating reagent which just might be an acceptable substitute for much more exotic and expensive reagents
used for the same purpose ....like phosphorous pentoxide , or acetic anhydride , for dehydration of nitrolysis mixtures ....or in the place of oleum in nitration
mixtures . And of course there are also possibilities there for usefulness in the preparation of nitric acid
of high concentration .....prior to use in any nitration
where additional Mg(NO3)2 monohydrate could have further usefulness .

Having HNO3 of extremely high concentration at the beginning and maintaining the acid at a near to anhydrous condition during the nitrolysis or nitration is
a very important aspect of creating ideal conditions
with regards to the efficiency of the synthesis particularly
for RDX ....where even a 2 or 3 percent change in the
water content of the nitric acid can affect the yield by
twenty times that amount . So anything that gives even
a little improvement to the quality of the acid can have
a drastic influence on the efficiency of the reaction .

This could also apply as well to other nitrations which are
very sensitive to the water content of the acid or mixed acids ....where having anything present which can efficiently tie up indigenous or reaction byproduct water
will be likely to improve the yield considerably .

This Mg(NO3)2 idea is moving to the top of my
" must do experiments list " because of its potential
value in virtually any nitrolysis or nitration reactions .

There is not good information easy to find about the
different temperatures and hydration states for
Mg(NO3)2 , melting points for the various hydrates ,
and what is the decomposition temperature for the
monohydrate ....which I suppose is the lowest stable
hydrate . PATR references conversion of the hexahydrate
to the monohydrate at 330C , but I think
that is wrong . They are probably referencing the
trihydrate or possibly a dihydrate , as I would expect
a stepwise sort of dehydration passing through a series of distinct hydrates lower than the hexahydrate . So anyone having any extensive data on the hydration states for Mg(NO3)2 , please share a link or post the data here .

I found one reference in a patent that the hexahydrate of
magnesium nitrate melts in its own water of hydration at 90C .....which is a fairly high melting point for a hexahydrate and would account for a very absorptive and dehydrating activity towards formation of the hexahydrate at temperatures much lower than that 90C transition point ,
where a much lower than six hydrate is in the reaction system .

This is much higher activity than for example the tetrahydrate
of calcium nitrate which melts at ~42C .

If anybody has the book on Mg(NO3)2 ....I want it :D

[Edited on 16-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Rosco Bodine - 16-1-2007 at 15:24

update

Evidently what I am thinking about the usefulness of
Mg(NO3)2 as a dehydrating agent in nitrations is not a new idea at all , because I have found a patent US2776965
(attached) for the manufacture of sulfoester free nitrocellulose , where no sulfuric acid at all is present in the nitration mixture , but magnesium nitrate is used in the place of sulfuric acid as a substitute dehydrating agent .

So the idea of using the Mg(NO3)2 as a dehydrating agent
definitely has validity already reported in a similar nitration
where sulfuric acid is not present ....but nitration is accomplished solely by concentrated nitric acid , and this
scenario is precisely the same as is the case for nitrolysis
of HDN to RDX , where sulfuric acid cannot be used anyway ,
and the efficiency of the nitrolysis is dependant upon the
hydration of the nitric acid being minimized ....which the
Mg(NO3)2 should accomplish .

The patent also mentions the preparation of the Mg(NO3)2
dehydrating reagent as a higher hydrate solution in water ,
and boiling it down to a lower hydrate syrup which is mixed
with nitric acid to form the nitrating mixture . One can reasonably expect that the syrup could be heated even further and dehydrated more fully near or all the way to the
monohydrate for even greater dehydrating effect . Granulation of the material solidified from a high temperature melt would probably require working out some special technique to keep the melt from setting up into a solid monolith on cooling . It might be as simple as stirring rapidly
with a glass rod as some alcohol is streamed on the hot material to hasten its cooling and evolve a blanket of alcohol vapor to keep air from overtly dampening the material .
Alternately , worse case scenario is that the melt could be poured over a pile of ceramic ball milling media in a bowl
or in the jar , and milled as it cools to break it up .

Additionally to the use of the Mg(NO3)2 in reactions which
are absent any sulfuric acid ......there seems to be no reason
why it would not also be useful in those other nitrations where sulfuric acid is used , as an additional dehydrating reagent which might substitute for free SO3 as would be
supplied by oleum .

Attachment: US2776965 Magnesium Nitrate used in Nitrocellulose Nitration.pdf (811kB)
This file has been downloaded 1093 times

nitro-genes - 18-1-2007 at 06:01

Quote:
Actually I think that triazone would be a higher priority
interest for investigation of possible RDX or keto-RDX ? precursor usefulness , if there were a list of favored
" experiments to do " as possible more efficient routes to RDX or equivalent analogues .

Keto-RDX is a really interesting possibility indeed, having an even higher detonation pressure than HMX combined with good stability. The nitrolysis of triazones like TBT to yield keto-rdx seems to be extremely sensitive to the presence of any water. So regarding efficiency it can probably not rival the efficiency of HDN nitrolysis to produce RDX. IIRC, nitrolysis of TBT with anything else than 99% HNO3/AA or 99% HNO3/P2O5 resulted in almost insignificant low yields...

[Edited on 18-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 18-1-2007 at 09:58

From what I have seen in the patents concerning Mg(NO3)2
it does not exist *alone* as any lower hydrate than a monohydrate , but decomposes to nitrogen oxides and
magnesium oxide at 330C . Al(NO3)3 decomposes to its
oxide at a much lower 150C when it dehydrates completely . This decomposition property of hydrated alkaline earth nitrates is applied to a heat cured insulating foam ceramic material where a percentage of Mg(NO3)2 in the composition decomposes leaving micro bubble cavities in the ceramic and then the MgO decomposition product reacts at the high temperature with an acid phosphate or free phosphoric acid to form a magnesium phosphate binder which makes the foam set into a strong insulating refractory material . A mixture of the Mg(NO3)2 with Ca(NO3)2 is actually used in the material which is reportedly an excellent binder for perlite . See US4812170 .

Anyway , from the *all* references I have seen the presence of alkaline earth nitrates in anhydrous or near to anhydrous forms is more easily attained with double or mixed salts with two or more different nitrates . Zinc nitrate is mentioned as
forming a eutectic with Magnesium nitrate . Another aspect
of the anhydrous double salts which I have seen described is that they are pH dependant and stable only in alkaline condition , separating into a simple mixture when subjected to an acidic environment . This could be due to the presence of some trace or small percentage of the basic nitrate in an alkaline system , which acts to lower the melting point greatly , as there are many low melting point mixtures reported which involve a double salt of a normal nitrate with the basic nitrate which are anhydrous crystalline materials .

This interesting aspect about the double salts could possibly be exploited where the intent is to make use of the profound
dessicating capacity of the near to anhydrous salts , by formulating a mixed salt which is stably dehydratable on
heating to a lower temperature under the slightly alkaline
condition .....and drying it as much as possible by heating ,
pulverizing and then using it as a dessicant in a nitrating mixture . The acidity of the mixture would split the double
salt into a simple mixture of its nearly anhydrous constituents
with some small penalty for acid consumption in reacting
with the small percentage of the basic salt which is present .

This method has not been reported in the literature so far as I know it is just my theory that this strategy may work , as
an inference drawn from what is reported in references that I have seen .

A binary eutectic of Zinc Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate was reported in one patent as useful for shifting the dehydration
temperature lower and away from the decomposition point
for the monohydrate of Mg(NO3)2 . See US5099078 .

And as a dehydrating reagent for the concentration of nitric acid , it is reportedly not necessary to do more than simply
use a ~70% solution , a liquid form of Mg(NO3)2 , present
in a bit more than equal portion by weight with 68% HNO3
in order break the azeotrope and to distill away >98% pure
HNO3 .....eliminating any formation of nitrosyl sulfuric acid
as occurs when H2SO4 is in contact with hot HNO3 .

Ca(NO3) is also reportedly useful for breaking the azeotrope
in distillation of HNO3 . See US864217 .

The inference which I am to a large extent presuming is
that in a nitration mixture itself , a more concentrated
acid is available also under the conditions of nitration as
a result of the same reagent as would break the azeotrope
during conditions of distillation .

So great is the affinity for water of the dehydrating salts
that they are useful even as their highly concentrated
solutions ......that is in liquid form . So it is intriguing
what possibility may exist for exploiting these nitrates
as desscicants in a nitrolysis mixture .

The aspect which lurks as a potential problem is that
the presence of the large concentration of the alkaline earth ion in the nitrolysis or nitration mixture might possibly
interfere with the nitration sufficiently to be conterproductive
and inhibit the desired formation of end product more than
would the presence of water in the absence of that ion .

So this is another one of those " bright ideas " which
could turn out to be only useful for distillations and
not useful at all for improving the conditions of nitration
itself . Even so , it would seem worth experimenting
to find out what the real deal is , since it is also possible
that the alkaline earth ion would simply be a spectator ion
and not interfere at all with the nitrolysis .....and could even be catalytic . Only experiments would reveal what is the true story on these things .

[Edited on 19-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US3173756 Magnesium Nitrate Ammonium Nitrate Anhydrous Double Salt.pdf (405kB)
This file has been downloaded 1264 times

Rosco Bodine - 22-1-2007 at 10:07

I found another patent US4316736 , from a different inventor that has a couple of lines which tends to confirm the anhydrous binary eutectic of NH4NO3 and Mg(NO3)2 reported in the patent just above , the higher NH4NO3 ratio to Mg(NO3)2 of 3:1 , which melts at 115C .....
see line 18 page 5 . This is the lower Mg(NO3)2 content
binary , which is a lower melting anhydrous intermediate ,
gradually converted upon introduction of increasing molar proportion of Mg(NO3)2 to a second higher melting
and also anhydrous equimolar eutectic of NH4NO3 and Mg(NO3)2 .......which is evidently a double salt also ,
NH4Mg(NO3)3 mp 167 .

The earlier patent US3173756 describes in example 1 ,
a laboratory scale preparation of the anhydrous binary eutectic , by way of a gradual addition in portions , of
MgO to molten NH4NO3 the time required being 3 to 4 hours for the additions , and the reaction mixture being
held at 200C .

I expect other approaches could also be used for this ,
which could be more efficient and also could be conducted
at a lower temperature . I also expect that this anhydrous eutectic could form as part of a more complex mixture which would remain anhydrous at a lower melt temperature in the presence of other materials which
are compatable . And I would further expect that certain
other materials added to such a melt , would be disruptive of the eutectic , and would cause crystallization
to some extent , facilitating granulation of the system
containing anhydrous Mg(NO3)2 .....either split away
from its double salt with NH4NO3 , or remaining combined
as such .

Possible materials which would seem likely candidates
for disrupting the equimolar anhydrous eutectic of
AN and MgN , and facilitating granulation , are an added
excess amount of MgO itself to cause some formation
of a basic magnesium nitrate salt as a contaminant ,
or possibly better to use a carbonate of magnesium
for this same purpose , the byproduct CO2 causing a
simulataneous foaming and solidification of the still
relatively anhydrous melt facilitating its granulation .

Ammonium pyrosulfate could have possible usefulness
as a disruptor and solidification , foaming and granulation
facilitator .

Al(NO3)3 which undergoes complete decomposition to
its oxide and nitrogen oxides at 150C could be a very effective reagent for foaming and disruption of the
binary eutectic which melts at 167C .

NaNO3 , KNO3 , urea , urea nitrate , are other possibilities .

Some mixture of these materials could be found to be
effective for preventing the NH4Mg(NO3)3 from setting
up as a monolith upon cooling of the melt ....but to
react with the added " granulating agent " in a way
which disrupts the dense melt , and provides a granular solid which yet retains its anhydrous or not greatly
diminished anhydrous properties .

If the solid material desired can be prepared by some scheme of this sort , then it should have value as a
dehydrating salt which can be added to nitration or
nitrolysis mixtures . And the material should also
have usefulness in concentrating nitric acid .

The Mg(NO3)2 content of the double salt could also be valuable for greatly increased yield of nitric acid , in synthesis where the nitrate is reacted with sulfuric acid and the nitric acid distilled .....
since there is no acid sulfate byproduct for the magnesium salt , then *both* hydrogens
of the sulfuric acid should participate in producing nitric acid , making it possible to theoretically obtain twice the amount of nitric acid from the same amount of sulfuric acid as would more commonly be gotten from reacting with a monovalent nitrate , which forms an acid sulfate niter cake byproduct .

linkage with more recent thread

Rosco Bodine - 31-8-2010 at 09:39

There is parallel interest with regards to the potential usefulness of nitrates having a dehydrating effect upon
nitric acid and / or nitration mixtures and / or nitrolysis reactions. Further references have more recently been posted in another more recent thread and some of those references to anhydrous nitrate melts containing magnesium nitrate are also relevant here, so I am linking here to the more recent thread.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4457&a...

-=HeX=- - 7-9-2010 at 09:57

Just a quick note, I recall reading on roguesci that addition of lithium nitrate helps somewhat. Something to do with helping the linear nitramines become cyclicized or something.

Not sure of the validity of it, but itt was interesting so I remembered it!

Rosco Bodine - 7-9-2010 at 16:22

I will have to go back and look again, but as I recall some of the lithium nitrate mixtures with other nitrates were anhydrous eutectic mixtures also having dehydrating properties. That would square with the probability or possibility of increasing yields by two different ways if indeed the lithium nitrate alone is beneficial to the nitrolysis. This would possibly work in the same way as does acetic anhydride or phosphorous pentoxide work to tie up water and keep the acid strength high as is required for the nitrolysis.

Boomer hasn't logged in for quite awhile, anybody heard anything ?

E-Process failures

pdb - 12-12-2012 at 08:03

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I didn’t find any better place in the forum to post my questions about the E-Process.

As acetic anhydride is, for the moment, still easy to get in my country and fifteen times or so cheaper than 100% NA, I decided to give this process a try. Compared to other HE or preparation methods, information is quite scarce about this process, and I didn’t find helpful details beyond Urbanski and the Eble-like method developed by the Canadians (US2434230).

First attempt : 70 ml AA in a tall 200 ml beaker. 1/3 ml of boron trifluoride dehydrate is added (caution : very very weird stuff !). Equipped with a thermometer and a magnet bar, the beaker is put in a water bath on a heating stirrer. When temperature has reached 60°C, 10 g of paraformaldehyde and 27 g of dried ammonium nitrate are added proportionally in tiny amounts over approx 20 minutes. The powders remain in suspension, without any clue that a reaction is underway, in spite of BF3. The mixture becomes progressively yellowish and then colorless after a few minutes. The temperature is maintained in the 65-70°C range for another 15 minutes, and then the beaker is put directly on the heating plate. Stirring and heating are kept on, so as to stabilize temperature around 65°C. As Urbanski states that Para+AN addition takes 6 hours in the industrial process, I leave in another room and come back every 10 minutes to check the beaker. When stirring is interrupted, I can still see the AN prills in the solid phase. Some time later, I notice a strong acetic smell in the house, and discover that a run-awway has occurred at a time I wasn’t attending in the lab. Half of the beaker content had spilled on the stirrer, leaving a yellowish clear solution. The spillage showed traces of a white crystalline product, that I recover for the most part of it, washed with hot water and dried.

Second attempt, inspired by the “Mega-Process” : 70 ml AA in a tall 500 ml beaker. 27 g AN are added in one time, and the mix is heated while stirred until a temperature of 90°C is reached. Beaker is removed from the heating plate, and addition of para starts. First additions cause a light fizzing. The temperature is monitored, and the beaker is put back on the heating plate from time to time so has to keep it in the 85-90°C range. Fizzing becomes more intense with new additions, and at a time, NO2 is emitted and temperature likely exceeds 100°C. A stay in a cold water bath stops the NO2 emission and decreases the fizzing. For the next 10 minutes or so, the exotherm keeps the temperature at 90°C without needing any heating or cooling help. At that time, about 2/3 of the para has been consumed, and the fizzing is decreasing. The solution is pale yellow and limpid, and no more AN prills can be seen. It seems that the reaction is over, which is confirmed by the next additions of para, which cause a very weak fizzing, even when rising the temperature to 90°C with the heating. By the end, a slight layer of a white product shows at the bottom. I leave the temperature drop to ambient, and nothing noticeable happens during that time. The product is filtered and washed with hot water, then dried. The filtrate shows no precipitate whatsoever when crashed in ice water. After re-reading the patent, I saw that the temperature is said to be kept under 100°C at all time.

The two products, when lit by a flame, produce the hissing noise we all know.

Any comment from members having met success through this route and obtained RDX with an acceptable yield are most welcome. Thanks

Motherload - 26-7-2013 at 23:37

@ pdb
I too have access to AcAn. But don't want to try the synth at home cause I don't know how much fuming/gas evolution takes place.
I don't want my neighbors getting suspicious of the odors emitted by my kitchen exhaust.
If you can give me some insight as to how much fuming takes place and any peculiar odors ? .... I'll try the synth as I have 3 liters of AcAn. I won't be using BF3 or similar acid.

Also curious if anyone tried nitrolysis of Hexamine with 85% H3PO4 and NH4NO3 ?

Also condensing Nitramide with formaldehyde ?

[Edited on 27-7-2013 by Motherload]