Sciencemadness Discussion Board

List some BAD chemistry YouTube videos

Pages:  1  2  

j_sum1 - 26-12-2014 at 16:38

Death unlikely unless someone inhaled it.
Facial burns and blindness were a possibility though.

HgDinis25 - 26-12-2014 at 17:23

@DrMario

I never called you insane. I asked if you were insane in a rhetorical manner. There's a big difference. And I only used such expression because you described the behaviour of the teacher as scandalous. IMHO, his behaviour is far from being scandalous. What were you thinking of reporting anyway? With that cleared out, let's continue.

5M Hydrochloric Acid isn't very corrosive. It only causes damage to the skin if the exposure is prolonged. Thus, the use of gloves isn't necessary. Like I said, it is recomended by many labs not to use gloves when handling chemicals less or as corrosive and dangerous as HCl.
Now on the lab coat. It does indeed prevent you from getting HCl in your clothes. However, it's not strictly necessary. If you get some on your clothes you can easily remove them before any real harm occurs. Of course, it's more pratical to remove a lab coat than your clothes, if splashes do happen. However, it may be considered more pratical to work without a lab coat, when the danger is minimal. This depends on the opinion of the chemist. So, my conclusion: lab coat, in this situation, is not mandatory.

It is important that children learn chemistry in a passionate way. They must learn that not everything that has acid in it melts your skin, for instance. And that there's a difference between real corrosive acids and middly corrosive acids. And many more interesting things. There's a reason why you use an helmet when riding a bike but don't use it when crossing the street. When crossing the street, there may be a chance that you get run over, and the use of an helmet could save your life. Still you don't use one... The odds of something like that happening do not compensate the trouble.

Now that we're done with the actual chemistry, allow me to pass to the next part. The personal side of all of this. Why on earth would you say that I have strong opinions? Opinions that prevent me from having a "reasonable scientific conversation"? If you want to tell that to someone, please advocate your own pleading and give some arguments.

If I insulted you when I asked if you were insane, I apologize. Now, If you want to debate the matter further, focus on the chemistry.

EDIT: I believe there's a substantial part of this thread missing, where DrMario said some ridiculous things about violenting someone. What happend to my post about it?

[Edited on 27-12-2014 by HgDinis25]

Bert - 26-12-2014 at 18:16

Hello everyone!

Sorry to not have looked into this thread for several pages- I will look in more frequently now.

Please, everyone: Reserve your rancour for the people posting questionable YouRube videos (not a typo there...;))

Discourse courteously among yourselves, gentlemen mad scientists.

DrMario - 27-12-2014 at 06:24

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
@DrMario

I never called you insane. I asked if you were insane in a rhetorical manner. There's a big difference. And I only used such expression because you described the behaviour of the teacher as scandalous. IMHO, his behaviour is far from being scandalous. What were you thinking of reporting anyway? With that cleared out, let's continue.

5M Hydrochloric Acid isn't very corrosive. It only causes damage to the skin if the exposure is prolonged. Thus, the use of gloves isn't necessary. Like I said, it is recomended by many labs not to use gloves when handling chemicals less or as corrosive and dangerous as HCl.
Now on the lab coat. It does indeed prevent you from getting HCl in your clothes. However, it's not strictly necessary. If you get some on your clothes you can easily remove them before any real harm occurs. Of course, it's more pratical to remove a lab coat than your clothes, if splashes do happen. However, it may be considered more pratical to work without a lab coat, when the danger is minimal. This depends on the opinion of the chemist. So, my conclusion: lab coat, in this situation, is not mandatory.

It is important that children learn chemistry in a passionate way. They must learn that not everything that has acid in it melts your skin, for instance. And that there's a difference between real corrosive acids and middly corrosive acids. And many more interesting things. There's a reason why you use an helmet when riding a bike but don't use it when crossing the street. When crossing the street, there may be a chance that you get run over, and the use of an helmet could save your life. Still you don't use one... The odds of something like that happening do not compensate the trouble.

Now that we're done with the actual chemistry, allow me to pass to the next part. The personal side of all of this. Why on earth would you say that I have strong opinions? Opinions that prevent me from having a "reasonable scientific conversation"? If you want to tell that to someone, please advocate your own pleading and give some arguments.

If I insulted you when I asked if you were insane, I apologize. Now, If you want to debate the matter further, focus on the chemistry.

EDIT: I believe there's a substantial part of this thread missing, where DrMario said some ridiculous things about violenting someone. What happend to my post about it?

[Edited on 27-12-2014 by HgDinis25]

- I fail to see the difference between saying I am insane, and asking if I am insane in a rhetorical matter. A rhetorical question is one that asks no answer but is actual direct statement. "A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer."
- If you get HCl on your clothes, changing them may not be trivial. I don't know about you, but I prefer to have my pants on when going home in winter.
- Maybe some of the labs you visited recommend not wearing gloves when handling HCl. Here in Northern Europe the practice is different to say the least.
- I most definitely said nothing about "violenting" - I don't even know what that word means, if it's even a word.

CuReUS - 27-12-2014 at 07:22

this video is apt for this thread

all talk,no reaction and a horrible waste of chemicals

they gave a clever title to the video to cover up their failure though;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUyeCC-2Ko

DrMario - 27-12-2014 at 09:09

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly - that video is super-annoying! It also features the most annoying (in MY personal opinion) YouTube chemist - the periodic table of videos Professor. I want to pull all my hair out when I watch him flail his hands in front of the camera. Funny fact: no matter how much the camera zooms into his face, he'll find a way to get his hands there :D And the things he says aren't insightful enough to mitigate his presentation style. But as I said, this is just my very own opinion.

DrMario - 27-12-2014 at 09:11

BTW, thank you CuReUS for posting that video - I would have posted many more Periodic Table of Videos videos because I find most of them atrocious, but I thought I'd get criticized for doing that, since they are (probably) quite popular around these parts. I can't stand them but I may very well be in the minority.

The Volatile Chemist - 27-12-2014 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly - that video is super-annoying! It also features the most annoying (in MY personal opinion) YouTube chemist - the periodic table of videos Professor. I want to pull all my hair out when I watch him flail his hands in front of the camera. Funny fact: no matter how much the camera zooms into his face, he'll find a way to get his hands there :D And the things he says aren't insightful enough to mitigate his presentation style. But as I said, this is just my very own opinion.

Although the videos are informative, they are ridiculously wasting. That one particularly hurt me, as I don't have any KMnO4.... :(
I'm more curious as to what his area of research is, as at one time they mention the usage of aluminum tubing and heating coils.

HgDinis25 - 27-12-2014 at 12:45

@ DrMario

Quote:

- If you get HCl on your clothes, changing them may not be trivial. I don't know about you, but I prefer to have my pants on when going home in winter.

Exactly, finally you understand. It depends on the opinion of the chemist, when handling low corrosive substances, if he wishes to wear a lab coat or not. If he chooses not to and he has to remove his clothes, that's on him. But it's an option ergo it's not mandatory!

Quote:

- Maybe some of the labs you visited recommend not wearing gloves when handling HCl. Here in Northern Europe the practice is different to say the least.

Again, it's an option, not a definite rule! Let me just highlight that we're talking about 5M HCl...

Quote:

- I most definitely said nothing about "violenting" - I don't even know what that word means, if it's even a word.

Please open the link and learn something new (a thing everyone should do, at every minute of every day):
http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/violent.html

And visit this link if you wish to re-read (now is this even a word?) the comment you made:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=55190

j_sum1 - 27-12-2014 at 13:51

I am not sure why the angst for prof Polyakof. Yes, some of the vids are a bit long and lack a whole lot of depth. But by any reckoning this project has lifted the profile of chemistry and done a lot to educate and captur the imagination of a large number of people.

That said, the unintended reaction posted is not one of the better ones. I wouldn't call it wasteful though. These things happen. And the reagents in this case are hardly exotic.

j_sum1 - 5-6-2015 at 21:42

Resurrecting this thread.
I don't know if this vid is really bad or a really effective warning.

Sulfur trioxide chicken

[Edited on 6-6-2015 by j_sum1]

Deathunter88 - 6-6-2015 at 00:52

Here is a video about "making" acetic acid from vinegar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLrWFw_t_A
What is funny about it is that the video maker doesn't realise vinegar IS acetic acid. The comments are pretty funny too.

blargish - 6-6-2015 at 01:17

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
What is funny about it is that the video maker doesn't realise vinegar IS acetic acid. The comments are pretty funny too.

Love the myriad of PhD chemists in the comments hahahaha

blogfast25 - 6-6-2015 at 08:56

What is funny about it is that the video maker doesn't realise vinegar IS acetic acid.

That's strictly speaking not true. 'Distilled' (white) vinegar is a(n impure) solution of acetic acid ('ethanoic acid') in water, about 5 %.

What you say is a bit like saying "patio cleaner is hydrogen chloride": 'close' but no cigar!

But I'll let you off... :D

[Edited on 6-6-2015 by blogfast25]

Deathunter88 - 6-6-2015 at 09:09

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

What is funny about it is that the video maker doesn't realise vinegar IS acetic acid.

That's strictly speaking not true. 'Distilled' (white) vinegar is a(n impure) solution of acetic acid ('ethanoic acid') in water, about 5 %.

What you say is a bit like saying "patio cleaner is hydrogen chloride": 'close' but no cigar!

But I'll let you off... :D

[Edited on 6-6-2015 by blogfast25]

Wait a second, if you call patio cleaner "hydrogen chloride" that would be like calling distilled white vinegar "glacial acetic acid" which I am not. I still get your point though because vinegar also has some sugar in it. :P

blogfast25 - 6-6-2015 at 09:52

Wait a second, if you call patio cleaner "hydrogen chloride" that would be like calling distilled white vinegar "glacial acetic acid" which I am not. I still get your point though because vinegar also has some sugar in it. :P

I was 'exaggerating for effect', of course. Well spotted though. :)

Molecular Manipulations - 6-6-2015 at 21:49

"Distilled" vinegar isn't even distilled either. The alcohol used to make it is, but after adding the enzymes and the reaction is done - they just bottle it up. As previously stated, some brands contain added sugars for flavor.

j_sum1 - 6-6-2015 at 22:03

I think the deal with the vinegar is that it is not a terrible purification process if there is other stuff in with your vinegar. But the users showed no understanding of what was happening or terminology and nor did most of the commenters. Of course the final product is going to be ridiculously dilute.

unionised - 7-6-2015 at 02:37

The technique illustrated in that video is used in labs to obtain high purity reagents (ammonia is the classic example) for trace analysis.
What's the problem?
It starts with vinegar which is full of all sorts of junk left over from the fermentation process and ends up with a dilute solution of acetic acid containing only the volatile constituents which is pretty close to pure aqueous acetic acid (with a little ethanol and perhaps a few odds and ends like acetaldehyde and diacetyl.)

If you are prepared to keep replacing the vinegar with fresh supplies then you end up with a solution that has the same acid concentration as the original- probably about 5% which is nearly 1 molar. Hardly a ridiculous concentration.

j_sum1 - 7-6-2015 at 02:57

Fair comment unionised. I have used that same technique for a couple of things. I don't think that is the criticism.
I have some questions about the time frame -- I am not sure two weeks is long enough to get a particularly high concentration -- especially given the liquid surface area exposed and the volume of the container.

The thing is that the people in the video seemed pretty unaware of what was happening.
I don't think it qualifies as the worst video in this thread.

Adrian Mortensen - 10-6-2015 at 08:43

This could have ended much worse, especially when handling the Hydrofluoric acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZwYg4W7JE

blogfast25 - 10-6-2015 at 09:05

Quote: Originally posted by Adrian Mortensen  
This could have ended much worse, especially when handling the Hydrofluoric acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZwYg4W7JE

Going by the huge amounts of teh Utoobs by US ‘dudes’ with arrested development profiles straight off a moron production line and trying to blow up, thermite, burn, shred, shoot or otherwise destroy all kind of objects, a run-of-the-mill Martian just having landed here would be tempted to conclude the average age of Americans is about 10.

Best comment:

Quote:
I can feel the butthurt people who actually took a lesson in chemistry. IT FEELS SO GOOD.

And never tells these ‘dudes’ they’re stooopid because they’ll only tell you to ‘take a chill pill’.

[Edited on 10-6-2015 by blogfast25]

The Volatile Chemist - 10-6-2015 at 12:04

Take a chill pill.
So many others argue over the safety of certain people and procedures arbitrarily. yech.

pneumatician - 10-6-2015 at 17:37

Zero Fusion and Atomic Alchemy with Archbishop Jim Humble

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0j3BlaPW308kecJSONLa...

bad or good?

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by pneumatician]

blogfast25 - 10-6-2015 at 18:08

Quote: Originally posted by pneumatician  
Zero Fusion and Atomic Alchemy with Archbishop Jim Humble

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0j3BlaPW308kecJSONLa...

bad or good?

Answer that question by reading this quote:

Quote:
How to Reduce Atomic Radiation
to zero and create Gold as part of the process and remove all atomic radiation from both fresh and salt water.

Jimbob is stark raving bonkers. One really has to wonder what drives people to publish that hind of stuff on the teh internettings?

I'm not sure this is the same 'Jim Humble' but it sounds likely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Mineral_Supplement

And here:

http://owndoc.com/candida-albicans/miracle-mineral-solution-...

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by blogfast25]

pneumatician - 10-6-2015 at 20:22

YES IS THE SAME GUY! :D

well if this info is in the Putin office desk... I think Putin secretaries filter the crap, no?

intense fire and a lot of withe fumes! :P

j_sum1 - 10-6-2015 at 21:18

He vacillates between meaningless mumble and absurd crap. I really can't make anything sensible of it at all.
How this kind of thing ever gets an audience is beyond me. My intuition says that you need to be a lot smarter than that to scam people. But apparently not.

The Chemistry Shack - 11-6-2015 at 09:34

Here is a video I made a while ago titled "How to organize chemicals." It is a horrible video with so much irony. The intent was to show how to organize chemicals safely, but all of the chemicals are just sitting on open shelves where anyone could mess with them. (Thankfully now I have all of my chemicals in locked cabinets). Also, I didn't know about this thing called a tripod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kjx_8IGR0

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by The Chemistry Shack]

blogfast25 - 11-6-2015 at 09:57

Quote: Originally posted by The Chemistry Shack  
It is a horrible video with so much irony.

Did you mean 'unintended irony'? :D

pneumatician - 11-6-2015 at 22:24

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Answer that question by reading this quote:

Quote:
How to Reduce Atomic Radiation
to zero and create Gold as part of the process and remove all atomic radiation from both fresh and salt water.

Jimbob is stark raving bonkers. One really has to wonder what drives people to publish that hind of stuff on the teh internettings?

publishing a video have many motifs: des&information, fun, idiots with nothing more positive to do...

MMS is used by milions? of persons around the world, and say they have cured of diseases. you can call this "placebo effect" "shit effect" or whatever you want, but the reality is the reality, gulp down or not :D
in reality MMS is part of a church, so respect the free people's beliefs :D

binbin - 11-6-2015 at 22:29

Quote: Originally posted by The Chemistry Shack  
Here is a video I made a while ago titled "How to organize chemicals." It is a horrible video with so much irony. The intent was to show how to organize chemicals safely, but all of the chemicals are just sitting on open shelves where anyone could mess with them. (Thankfully now I have all of my chemicals in locked cabinets). Also, I didn't know about this thing called a tripod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8kjx_8IGR0

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by The Chemistry Shack]

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. The way I look at it, any interest in hobbies besides video games is a win these days.

Those shelves were very unsafe though! :) Glad to hear you got them in cabinets now.

What i like to do is get small bottles and fill them with the acids and bases I'll use on a common basis. i.e. I have a 20ml bottle of HCl, H2SO4, NaHO, NHO3. Then I store the main bottles elsewhere. This way i don't have to touch the large containers unless refilling.

[Edited on 12-6-2015 by binbin]

pneumatician - 11-6-2015 at 22:35

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

How this kind of thing ever gets an audience is beyond me. My intuition says that you need to be a lot smarter than that to scam people. But apparently not.

is this "is beyond me" give an opinion, you only puts in evidence.
:P

IMHO your "intuition" need a urgent fix.

binbin - 11-6-2015 at 22:53

Quote: Originally posted by blargish  

Love the myriad of PhD chemists in the comments hahahaha

YouTube video comments are funny by themselves. This video is gold... but it's good to see a kid trying out new things and experimenting, even if he's incorrect on some accounts.

The Volatile Chemist - 13-6-2015 at 12:44

There's an XKCD comic that discusses a virus which reads a post on YouTube back to the poster upon posting. Who's working on this?

CuReUS - 3-1-2016 at 09:22

fooling around with liquid bromine with no regards to safety,gergel would have fainted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-G4TZzVeZ0

JJay - 3-1-2016 at 11:14

Just one of several videos on YouTube where ethyl acetate is extracted from non-acetone nail polish remover without removing the ethanol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9dzsj6ecA

RogueRose - 3-1-2016 at 21:42

I'm not so sure this could really be considered chemistry but there are definitely reactions happening. There seems to be some argument as to what really happened. Saftey seems to be of little concern. He might as well stood in front of an exploding shaped charge.

Heated Copper vs Ice

alive&kickin - 4-1-2016 at 06:42

I'm not so sure I should be posting this, but here it goes (myself-inane, very ignorant, and never good in English class). I admit I haven't watched any of the videos, but I've read every comment in the thread. Bad spelling? Look at all the misspelled words in the posts. Better use of chemicals? Every location has different laws and access to different chemicals. What someone can get in massive quantities dirt cheap might cost someone else an arm and a leg, or have no access to those chemicals at all. Doing things unsafe? I thought everyone had their own level of what they think is safe or dangerous. Costs? I didn't think everyone on this board was a poor struggling soul. Don't be envious of those that are well off. Plenty of things I wish I had when it comes to chemistry, but what I can't afford may be trivial to those that can. Mixing chemicals randomly? I'm guessing there's been more discoveries by accidents than by well thought out procedures. I can't recall how many times I've read about big discoveries that were "accidentally discovered by chance". As the saying goes, a big discovery is not usually met with Eureka! but with Huh, that's funny. Besides, it's always funny to watch someone doing what I would call stupid shit, but who at sometime in life hasn't. Alcohol is a big promoter in that area. And with that said, I'll definitely have to watch some of the videos because they sound like they're hilarious. Just a few cents worth of nothing, sorry.

mayko - 4-1-2016 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
There's an XKCD comic that discusses a virus which reads a post on YouTube back to the poster upon posting. Who's working on this?

here's the next best thing... a browser plugin which changes YouTube comments to HERP DERP DERP DERP HERP

Now that I think about it, the SM user experience could be greatly improved if we had the option of herpDerping posters of our choice...

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by mayko]

Praxichys - 5-1-2016 at 06:19

I get a surprising number of intelligent comments on some of my videos. I really like the feedback. There are probably 20 or 30 professionals among the few thousand subscribers I have, which means every video of mine is scrutinized by a whole panel of experts. They catch my every mistake! I try my best to correct them (and not to make them in the first place...) but some minor stuff slips through sometimes. (I referred to niacin as vitamin B6 in a recent one rather than B3. D'oh!)

The more popular ones like "Mercury" do attract a bunch of Amateur Safety Specialists (ASSes for short) informing me of my imminent death because I dipped my hand into it. That, and the gem I found on my video about isopropyl nitrite: "Can I jack off with it??" The silly thing is that the guy's Facebook and YouTube account are linked so it shows his real name... pinnacle of evolution, that one.

battoussai114 - 5-1-2016 at 06:48

fooling around with liquid bromine with no regards to safety,gergel would have fainted

Maaaan, just to think about how usefull that bromine could've been in the hands of some SM member... That's what almost makes me faint :mad:

The Volatile Chemist - 6-1-2016 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  

here's the next best thing... a browser plugin which changes YouTube comments to HERP DERP DERP DERP HERP

Now that I think about it, the SM user experience could be greatly improved if we had the option of herpDerping posters of our choice...

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by mayko]

Very nice! I would like an SM plug-in like that.

nlegaux - 6-1-2016 at 18:34

This one is pretty sad... Skip to about 10:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw

nlegaux

blogfast25 - 6-1-2016 at 18:50

Quote: Originally posted by nlegaux  
This one is pretty sad... Skip to about 10:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw

nlegaux

Dickheads will be dickheads. These two qualify amply.

Mabus - 9-1-2016 at 15:52

It's people like this guy that give chemistry a bad rep. Kewl experiments, without any form of protection (not even basic sense), relies entirely on wind to get rid of dangerous bromine fumes... I have a feeling he just dumped that bromine in a ditch.
And speaking of dangerous fumes, it's nice to see that he still thinks it's a good idea to breath in sodium hydroxide fumes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBf92KajeUo

The Volatile Chemist - 12-1-2016 at 13:56

Yeah, uh, that video was definitely bad...
I used to have a video on making barium sulfate on my YouTube account that I made 3 years ago...That was some low-quality stuff there, too...

JJay - 21-1-2016 at 07:09

This video is pretty bad: Molten Aluminum Vs. Lava Lamp. I'm not sure why this guy calls himself the "Backyard Scientist."

The Volatile Chemist - 21-1-2016 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
This video is pretty bad: Molten Aluminum Vs. Lava Lamp. I'm not sure why this guy calls himself the "Backyard Scientist."

Oh, yeah, that guy! I follow him to get laughs at his "science". All his videos are to the end of Internet 'fame', and are quite uninteresting.

JJay - 21-1-2016 at 11:57

Oh, yeah, that guy! I follow him to get laughs at his "science". All his videos are to the end of Internet 'fame', and are quite uninteresting.

He does get a lot of views.

RobRylan - 21-1-2016 at 17:21

For whatever reason it seems the new trend on all these youtube channels is to just pour molten metal on random crap. I know of another channel where the person pours molten copper on stuff. It gets old.

Tdep - 21-1-2016 at 17:21

I gotta defend TheBackyardScientist a little. If you look at his first videos, he pretty much started as the standard chemistry youtube channel. Videos like making tetraaminecopper sulfate Also chloroform, chlorobutanol, capsaicin ect. But one day he uploaded this molten alumin(i)um video which got over 2 million views overnight, hitting the front page of reddit on r/videos or something like that.

When you do something like that, you might as well keep giving the people what they want, and that's 'pop-sci' videos. The videos are very well made and shot, pretty fun and there are some cool builds behind some that go towards making the videos. So sure, he doesn't do hardcore science but i'm sure he knows that, he's just making cool videos for the millions of people that watch them. That's not bad, and i'm sure he wont need a part time job for a little while.

So calm down people, not every youtube channel can be Doug's Lab

Mabus - 25-1-2016 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by RobRylan  

For whatever reason it seems the new trend on all these youtube channels is to just pour molten metal on random crap. I know of another channel where the person pours molten copper on stuff. It gets old.

I don't have any problems with popsci experiments, like pouring stuff into other stuff (for example that video with pouring molten aluminium into an anthill is really awesome). What I don't like is when almost no safety precautions are taken, not even the basic sense ones, like for example in this video.

Morgan - 25-1-2016 at 19:18

Although this previously posted clip is somewhat wreckless, there is an interesting effect at the 11:45 mark when a nifty fuel/air explosion above the bottle occurs. If you freeze the frame you'll see a round orange ball of fire. Does it seem like it was lit from a fleck from the reaction in the bottle or might it have been UV light or just spontaneous combustion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw#t=11m41s

[Edited on 26-1-2016 by Morgan]

chemrox - 26-1-2016 at 17:33

given the title, shouldn't this be relegated to whimsy? or did you mean "shitty" you-tubes?

DetritusBag - 20-2-2016 at 13:25

I made this for my gofundme page..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYeFhETi6fo

CharlieA - 20-2-2016 at 13:44

I wouldn't expect many, if any, funds from this effort.

chemplayer.. - 20-2-2016 at 20:50

Statistically our observation is:

0.5-1% of views translate into subscribers (provided you post regularly and therefore there's an incentive for viewers to subscribe).
0.5-1% of subscribers are willing to offer support.
50-75% of support pledged doesn't materialise.

An increase in views can be obtained through more 'pop/shock science' and hard marketing, but in turn this lowers the support % so it does become self-limiting.

So you can fill in the blanks...

j_sum1 - 21-2-2016 at 01:23

Well, chemplayer, I have been enjoying your videos lately.
I haven't subscribed -- I don't subscribe to anything. A bookmark suffices and I check in regularly.

There is no substitute for good content and your channel is definitely one of the best.

The Volatile Chemist - 22-2-2016 at 16:19

I haven't subscribed -- I don't subscribe to anything. A bookmark suffices and I check in regularly.

There is no substitute for good content and your channel is definitely one of the best.

Subscribing, of course, gives benefit to the user. There are monetary benefits to having a much-viewed channel.

100PercentChemistry - 26-3-2016 at 16:19

There's a lot of videos of kids who don't know anything about chemistry making explosives. Just a search and I found a lot.

The Volatile Chemist - 1-4-2016 at 14:54

In regards to good channels, Cody's Lab has some good stuff, though very little chemistry. Perhaps he's not the smartest guy ever on youtube, but he's not really claiming to be either. Has some good videos about making heavy water, and some cool stuff regarding geology since he has a mine on his property.

Jstuyfzand - 1-4-2016 at 15:12

In regards to good channels, Cody's Lab has some good stuff, though very little chemistry. Perhaps he's not the smartest guy ever on youtube, but he's not really claiming to be either. Has some good videos about making heavy water, and some cool stuff regarding geology since he has a mine on his property.

I love him, he explains everything really well and it got me into chemistry

NedsHead - 24-4-2016 at 05:57

I'm surprised these guys haven’t had any injuries yet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwyiR-FnhQ, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBu7sOPHK8

Microwaving an air bag = bad idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjHAPw1q-M

[Edited on 24-4-2016 by NedsHead]

XeonTheMGPony - 24-4-2016 at 08:52

By subscribing you help support them and their Chanel.

chemplayer... - 25-4-2016 at 19:23

Thanks!

Actually we don't mind so much if people subscribe or not, just so long as people enjoy the videos, get something out of them, and learn something!

We don't have any ad platform switched on so there's no benefit to us (YT adverts are just too annoying). If you subscribe though you'll see when new videos come out more easily. That's the main advantage.

chemplayer... - 25-4-2016 at 19:24

Oh and BTW this is yet another new login (laptop died, attempting to log in on new one with old credentials failed, attempt to reset password via email failed)!

j_sum1 - 25-4-2016 at 21:35

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer.................  
Oh and BTW this is yet another new login (laptop died, attempting to log in on new one with old credentials failed, attempt to reset password via email failed)!

Don't keep losing you logons. You will run out of dots.

And, I did end up breaking policy and subscribed to a whole bunch of chemistry channels. I don't know if the new system is working better for me.
Looking forward to the next chemplayer installment.

XeonTheMGPony - 26-4-2016 at 03:45

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
Thanks!

Actually we don't mind so much if people subscribe or not, just so long as people enjoy the videos, get something out of them, and learn something!

We don't have any ad platform switched on so there's no benefit to us (YT adverts are just too annoying). If you subscribe though you'll see when new videos come out more easily. That's the main advantage.

Well your channel has indeed helped, I successfully made hydrazine followed your synth, just with a bit more cooling then you did and turned out flawless. going to try for a repeat today.

Jon snow - 5-5-2016 at 11:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkknwEJbKk

what a waste of sulphuric acid also i'm very surprised he's still alive,
i'm wondering if someone knows why there was so little damage to the aluminum whick usually react readily with h2so4

XeonTheMGPony - 5-5-2016 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by Jon snow  

i'm wondering if someone knows why there was so little damage to the aluminum whick usually react readily with h2so4

it passivizes, a sulfate layer forms protecting the lower aluminium, the same effect is utilized to anodize alu.

gdflp - 5-5-2016 at 12:53

Quote: Originally posted by Jon snow  

That's not his first video where he handles stuff which he obviously doesn't understand with none of the necessary safety precautions in place. To be honest, I'm not sure where he bought some of the stuff he used in his other videos, because there's no way he prepared it(eg. Br<sub>2</sub>;). He will hurt himself at some point, how badly just depends on what chemical he happens to be using at that point.

Here's another one of his recent videos where he handles rather dangerous chems with no safety precautions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3Ct3jxbTQ

Daffodile - 5-5-2016 at 12:59

Please stop giving him views.

JJay - 5-5-2016 at 15:07

I started shooting a video for YouTube yesterday, but some of the clips are badly overexposed or out of focus, so I'm going to have to redo them. It's not easy to make professional-looking videos....

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by JJay]

Jon snow - 5-5-2016 at 16:00

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

it passivizes, a sulfate layer forms protecting the lower aluminium, the same effect is utilized to anodize alu.

thank you for the information, i knew that copper in fuming nitric acid did that but i didn't knew that

Quote: Originally posted by Daffodile  
Please stop giving him views.

i won't stop giving him views because i enjoy watching his videos regardless of the really bad chemistry involved also gdflp he is famous and i think he has lots of money so buying reagents should not be a problem for him, i think that he should have an assistant when he does videos involving reagents like H2SO4 (NH4)2Cr2O7 and elemental bromine

gdflp - 5-5-2016 at 16:02

It's not a question of money. It's a question of liability and that guy is surely what they're worried about, i.e. someone who has no idea what they're doing hurting themselves and suing.

chemplayer... - 5-5-2016 at 16:35

Wow that really is a terrible video. But he's just begging for someone to come along and do a satirical piss-take spin-off... It's soooo tempting!

Texium - 5-5-2016 at 18:15

I started shooting a video for YouTube yesterday, but some of the clips are badly overexposed or out of focus, so I'm going to have to redo them. It's not easy to make professional-looking videos....

Yeah, all the great YouTubers out there make it look so easy. I already shot and edited my first video (bromine), but I'm still not quite happy with the voiceover and feel like a few other things need to be added. And of course some of the camera angles are bad and the lighting is weird in a few shots... it's like the chemistry is the easy part!

The Volatile Chemist - 17-5-2016 at 14:19

Indeed, filming right is nigh-impossible without the right kind of camera, something I know I don't have.
Zts16 (or Chemplayer for that matter) if you ever need voice-over assistance, I'd be glad to help, though I don't suppose you have any problems with using your voice, more quality-related issues.

chemplayer... - 17-5-2016 at 18:30

Thanks - we get lots of offers for voiceovers because lots of people HATE our computerised voice. Then again, lots of people say it's fine. You do get used to it after a while though so we figure that the people complaining just aren't watching enough ;)

It's kind of become a signature now so we won't change. But the main reason we use it is that (as you are finding out) the editing and production process is the hardest bit.

To spill the beans on how we operate, at the moment our process is:

1. Shoot the footage, lots of clips, 10 secs minimum each, different levels of close-up etc. If you're going to need a minute of time to do an explanation at some point (e.g. reaction mechanism), then shoot a couple of minute long wide-clips of the reaction / apparatus). To give you an idea, for each video we start off with between 80 and 150 individual clips.
2. Open the non-linear video editor (Lightworks is free and good, just takes a bit of learning) and first arrange all the rough footage clips so they 'flow' in the right sequence with no voiceover as yet. Making it flow nicely seems to have a few 'patterns' such as doing a close-up, then a mid-close up, then wide-shot in sequence to each other, or not putting two clips next to each other that are roughly the same angle and view - this looks 'jumpy', or if you want to have a section where you skip forward in time, start this with a mid-wide shot and then go to a wide shot which is the 'X minute later' shot, then you can jump closer again.
3. Start at the start, play the footage in sequence, and then make up the voiceover as we go along by figuring out what to say and typing the text into a text editor.
4. TTS program generates the stereo wav file for the text (this takes 10 seconds).
5. We drag the voice wav file over in the editor and position it with the video.
6. Edit the video clip end/start points so it fits the text and timing we want (again, there are some 'patterns' to doing this, like beginning the voice at the start of a clip, or if it's after a bit of a pause, beginning the voice about a second before the next clip kicks in).
7. Back to step 3 for the next clip or place that we want the voice to come in. Repeat until it's done, getting rid of any unneeded video clips.
8. Finally add text, captions, opening/closing sequence, music, edit the background sound, etc.

This is pretty quick (1 - 1.5 hours per video to produce believe it or not), but if in step 4 we needed to get a microphone, read the text, get the file, check it sounds ok, check continuity of the volume / reverb etc. and then continue; we reckon this would more than double the production time.

Outsourcing would be harder because we'd have to either change the whole process or double up - i.e. we'd probably have to do exactly as above, but then wait for someone to send us the human voice versions of the TTS speech clips. We'd then have to use these to replace the TTS audio clips in the editor, potentially adjust timing of the video clips if the voice timing/length isn't quite the same... ARRGGHHHH.

But we're not convinced that quality of camera is that big a deal. Unless you want to publish in 4k (and good luck with a PC and editor that can handle that), and if you can live without some of the artsy-fartsy small depth of field / bokeh effects you get from using a low f-number lens on an SLR type camera (actually some phones / small cameras can do this to some extent), you can get perfectly good video clips provided you do two things:

1. Definitely absolutely use a tripod.
2. Use separate LED lighting and play with the position and white balance to get it looking right. We use a little "Yongnuo digital YN300" and the remote control it comes with to switch the light on/off is honestly the greatest thing since sliced bread. Trust us on the remote control.

Of course, this is for our particular style of production. You can do 'gonzo' channels as well and narrate yourself as you go but this is probably a whole art form in its own different right (perhaps Mr TDep can elaborate on the secrets!).

In our opinion the best looking channels out there (and there are better ones than ours for sure) look great mostly because they get the lighting right.

Read interviews with the best photographers in the world and they all say the same thing - good shots are about composition and light; that's it. Video is not that different. This is what an old iPhone can do:

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/blogs/woul...

JJay - 17-5-2016 at 20:03

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

Yeah, all the great YouTubers out there make it look so easy. I already shot and edited my first video (bromine), but I'm still not quite happy with the voiceover and feel like a few other things need to be added. And of course some of the camera angles are bad and the lighting is weird in a few shots... it's like the chemistry is the easy part!

That's exactly how it is... I have enough footage for four videos but the idea of finishing the editing on even one seems like a pretty tall order... I think having a really bright lights helps with lighting difficulties. I haven't done any voiceovers yet.... I remember doing lots of biology videos in high school, and it seemed so easy then....

[Edited on 18-5-2016 by JJay]

The Volatile Chemist - 18-5-2016 at 04:44

Yes, I suppose camera isn't everything. But the iPhone camera is better than the video camera I have. Besides, you can't mount an iPhone on a stand unless you get a case for that.
And chemplayer, I assumed such, just threw it out there.

j_sum1 - 19-5-2016 at 04:20

I can't remember if this slick little gem of scientific abuse has been posted before. I have seen it before. It came up in my YT feed a moment ago.

The problem is that it appears reasonable and looks scientific. But the interpretation and application of the results is seriously deficient and misleading.

Enjoy... or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yi83kOB8ug

CuReUS - 19-5-2016 at 05:55

The problem is that it appears reasonable and looks scientific. But the interpretation and application of the results is seriously deficient and misleading.

I agree with you,its quite misleading.Although I knew that making your body alkaline reduces infections(especially UTI :D),too much alkalinity is not good.Infact,alkalosis is more dangerous than acidosis because your body can become alkaline faster than it becomes acidic.If someone drinks 8 glasses of water of pH10 a day,it won't take long for tetany to set in.Also won't those water companies sue him for showing their products like that ?

and I have never seen I2 being used as pH indicator:o

MrHomeScientist - 19-5-2016 at 06:05

Can iodine really be used to test pH? I've never heard of that before.

XeonTheMGPony - 19-5-2016 at 11:58

I can't remember if this slick little gem of scientific abuse has been posted before. I have seen it before. It came up in my YT feed a moment ago.

Enjoy... or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yi83kOB8ug

What a steaming pile of male bovine excrement!

I know way to many suckers that buy into that crap, I wish I had so little ethics or I'd be a millionair by now!

"Comments disabled" that is the big hint right there it is a bold faced scam.

[Edited on 19-5-2016 by XeonTheMGPony]

NedsHead - 19-5-2016 at 16:15

I like how he is skeptical of the supermarket bottled water claiming to be spring water and that his "test" proves they are lying haha, I did some work at the Kancoona plant about 6 years ago and I can assure him that the water comes from an underground spring, there's nothing else for miles! and the funny thing is, they bottled water for a number of different brands and the "gourmet" bottled water selling for $5 is exactly the same as the $0.95 bottled water selling next to it, all they do is change out the bottle style and labels

Tdep - 22-5-2016 at 04:47

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
You can do 'gonzo' channels as well and narrate yourself as you go but this is probably a whole art form in its own different right (perhaps Mr TDep can elaborate on the secrets!).

Oh hi, guess I should reply seeing as I was named. For context, this is the youtube channel in question. I'd never heard the word gonzo before, but on looking it up, it is a good description.

In honesty, the way I film on Extractions&Ire creates a much less professional final product. It's quite similar to many new chem channels because it's easy to film: no tripod and no fancy camera (I used an iPad camera for these videos). No stuffing around with lighting and no voice overs.

So yes, less serious videos. But apart from being easier to film, I find it much more fun to film. You just point the camera at the thing and say "hey guys, today we're going do the science and I have no idea if it's going to work!" and then sometimes it does work and you get to share your real enthusiasm as you get a positive result in real time.

Properly filming is stressful and actually quite significantly more effort than not filming, and sometimes this takes away the fun of doing the chemistry. Just picking up a phone camera and talking while you're doing it seems to add to the fun.

Doing voice overs and editing is a grind. Wish I thought of using an automated voice first. It takes me many hours to make a video. As much as I try, I can't really go from a working idea to video any quicker than 2-3 weeks. And then there's all the time finding an idea that works

[Edited on 22-5-2016 by Tdep]

glymes - 22-5-2016 at 05:23

@Tdep the only thing that irritates me about ExtractionsandIre is how you cut out any 'swearing a lot and shouting.' Other than that, love the vids.

The Volatile Chemist - 24-5-2016 at 15:16

The earmark of Tdep's channel (E&F) is it's looseness and lack of exact-ness - And the surprisingly great results he gets :P
Great channel, though looking at his first videos is fun.

glymes - 25-5-2016 at 12:29

ItZ Linkzy is truly shit. He makes hexamethylene triperoxide diamine with cheerful music, with a method for 'amateurs' and then calls it explosive flour and makes firecrackers out of it.

Fidelmios - 25-5-2016 at 23:20

Not sure if mentioned but the infamous Crazy Russian Hacker made an air conditioning unit out of a 5 gal bucket and a few pounds of Dry Ice.

Praxichys - 26-5-2016 at 06:19

Quote: Originally posted by Fidelmios  
Not sure if mentioned but the infamous Crazy Russian Hacker made an air conditioning unit out of a 5 gal bucket and a few pounds of Dry Ice.

This whole thing is such a farce.

Thunderf00t then denounces the video as both "copyright infringement" and "dangerous" - both assertions are vehemently incorrect.

First, copyrights apply to media and not ideas. If the initial poster chose to go public with the idea, that is his choice. Even if that was a patentable idea, making a video about how to make it is in no way "copyright infringement". Besides, this idea has been around forever and is already patented. See the recent US 7748235 B1, and many others. (Remember, this is how refrigerators worked about 70 years ago)

Second, the air conditioner is not particularly dangerous. A tiny house might have a volume of about 200 cubic meters (approx 900 sq. ft. with 8ft ceilings). The CDC reports that "a 30-minute exposure at 50,000 ppm produces signs of intoxication". The tiny house in this calculation contains roughly 245kg of air, which means you would need to evaporate more than 12kg (27 lb) of dry ice to bring it to a concentration with noticeable effect, which would take quite some time. Of course, the house would have to be completely airtight for the entire evaporation process, which is unrealistic. Based on the data, loss of consciousness would require twice as much dry ice, or a sealed room half the size.

CO2conc.jpg - 47kB

On top of this, buildup of CO2 in the blood triggers a panic response called hypercampnia, which would warn occupants of the danger and likely cause them to leave the premises for fresh air. This response is unique to CO2 and is also why people who commit suicide using asphyxiant gases tend to use helium, nitrogen, or argon instead - because CO2 will make you feel ill and panicky like you're starved for air.

Could it be dangerous? Yes, maybe if you were handcuffed in a closet with it, or you put it inside a tent with an unsupervised infant. Otherwise, not likely.

However, the air conditioner is not particularly effective anyway. The specific heat of CO2 is around 0.77 kJ/kgK at these temperatures, and the enthalpy of sublimation is 521 kJ/kg. 27 pounds of dry ice would allow for a room enthalpy change of -7176 kJ, or about 6800 BTU. A typical window AC unit for a 900 square foot home (recommended by the Home Depot) is 15k-18k BTU per hour. So, even if the dry ice air conditioner could evaporate all the CO2 in one hour, it is still not going to make a lot of difference on the temperature of a house. Going further, if you wanted to cool that 900 square foot house with dry ice (which is about $2 per pound here), you would spend more on dry ice than a typical window A/C unit costs in less than 4 hours.

It's a dumb response to a dumb idea, if I may be so bold.

Patches.jpg - 13kB

Fidelmios - 26-5-2016 at 23:32

Never made the claim he did those things. I said its a dumb idea, because it IS a dumb idea. I get that the normal person won't make this, and even the people who would make this probably wouldn't kill themselves with it. You're right, its dubious that anyone would kill themselves with it, the potential is there, like you said a small child or a really enclosed area. We agree that the methods the guy uses is crap.

As to the copyright claim I think thunderf00t refers to the design was identical to one previously made (he posted it in one of his videos). Which, while doesn't violate the laws legally, I think it does so spiritually. To replace a single substance in a device, and not even pretend to change anything, come on man...

In short they are both dumb haha. As such I think it deserves a spot in the BAD chem thread.

readImage.jpg - 15kB

Edits because forum wizardry

[Edited on 27-5-2016 by Fidelmios]

readImage.jpg - 15kB

Firmware21 - 3-6-2016 at 01:36

https://m.youtube.com/verify_age?next=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvM9qHL1...

I don't know why meth enthusiasts even bother with complicated chemistry and exotic reagents when they can make funky drugs out of ascorbic acid and kitty litter...

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by Firmware21]

NedsHead - 3-6-2016 at 04:40

Be sure not to breath the NaOH5 gas

The Volatile Chemist - 3-6-2016 at 13:22

LOLOL that was hilarious :) Why does it have an age restriction? And the whole George Foreman Grill thing is so funny...Actually, that isn't a bad chemistry video, it's a rather good one. Some of the pamphlets they pass out in boy scouts get all the sources wrong for where drugs come from hah.

ficolas - 6-6-2016 at 14:09

So I recently found bigclivedotcom channel on youtube. He mostly makes videos where he buys some random chinese contraption, and he disasembles it to show how it is an electrical death trap.
In this video thought: https://youtu.be/lxcfouJ4F4A he, acording to my chemistry knowledge, he may have created a death trap, by making a enclosed ketene lamp.
Wouldnt what he just made create ketene, that will acumulate over the time of the lamp is used a lot, and when it breals (Its not a weird thing if it break, after all its a glass bulb where pressure will raise up) it will free the ketene?
Im making this as a questiom because im not entirelly sure if those conditions are enough for ketene to be made in a significant amount over time, and if I am right, its quite a bad youtube video that is related to chemistry.

[Edited on 6-6-2016 by ficolas]

j_sum1 - 6-6-2016 at 21:18

Quote: Originally posted by Firmware21  
https://m.youtube.com/verify_age?next=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvM9qHL1...

I don't know why meth enthusiasts even bother with complicated chemistry and exotic reagents when they can make funky drugs out of ascorbic acid and kitty litter...

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by Firmware21]

Someone right now is separating the blue crystals of their kitty litter or dropping shots of pepto bismol into impure magnesium sulfate solutions.
This would be hilarious if it wasn't so pitifully sad.

Deathunter88 - 7-6-2016 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by ficolas  
So I recently found bigclivedotcom channel on youtube. He mostly makes videos where he buys some random chinese contraption, and he disasembles it to show how it is an electrical death trap.
In this video thought: https://youtu.be/lxcfouJ4F4A he, acording to my chemistry knowledge, he may have created a death trap, by making a enclosed ketene lamp.
Wouldnt what he just made create ketene, that will acumulate over the time of the lamp is used a lot, and when it breals (Its not a weird thing if it break, after all its a glass bulb where pressure will raise up) it will free the ketene?
Im making this as a questiom because im not entirelly sure if those conditions are enough for ketene to be made in a significant amount over time, and if I am right, its quite a bad youtube video that is related to chemistry.

[Edited on 6-6-2016 by ficolas]

Well to be fair oxidation of acetone is a very common demonstration as can be seen by these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXXUeAh8kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bczUv043XtY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEdK4BQCr_8

ficolas - 7-6-2016 at 11:20

Quote:

Well to be fair oxidation of acetone is a very common demonstration as can be seen by these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXXUeAh8kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bczUv043XtY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEdK4BQCr_8

But isnt ketene more toxic than HCN?
The problem is that he didnt do it on purpose, he didnt know he could be oxidating the acetone, he just wanted to make bubbles

Pages:  1  2