Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Mem. des Poudres

Rosco Bodine - 10-12-2005 at 10:49

These old journals would be a nice acquisition .
Perhaps someone here could look into this and
see if the files can be made available .

There have been 10 volumes scanned and uploaded
by The_Duke at E&W to an ftp and an offer to complete
the collection if anyone is interested .

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?p=73849#post...

I just happen to know someone who is interested :D ,
particularly in Vol. 33 for 1951 , a couple of articles about
R-salt , if nothing else .

Urbanski describes 84% yields of R-salt reported by Aubertein giving detailed instructions for synthesis

P. Aubertein , Mem. Poudres 33 , 227 ,
( 1951 )

Also in the same journal a method for production on a semi-commercial scale is reported by Ficheroulle and Kovache

H. Ficheroulle and A. Kovache , Mem. Poudres 33 , 241 ,
( 1951 )

It is difficult to near impossible for me to proxy connect to the E&W anymore to make the request directly to The_Duke .
So any assistance with the communication of the request ,
towards obtaining these articles , or the entire collection is appreciated .

Axt - 10-12-2005 at 11:30

I dont think they were scanned, pdb put me onto those those 1882-1900 volumes a while ago through gallica.
http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF34378325.htm
If they were compiled into a volume pdfs I would like them.

Berichte der Deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft is on there too.
http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF32711339.htm...
Anyone up to compiling that into volume pdf's :P

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Axt]

S.C. Wack - 10-12-2005 at 17:56

Some members have mentioned their fast download speeds. Volume 31 (3688 pp.) of Ber. (1898) is 212.66 MB alone. Though maybe downloading the whole that is available in one day would get noticed and make Gallica think twice about their altruism. Likely that a few people have already done it.

Mem. poudres is not the most publicly available journal, but some of our members can get a hold of articles at a nearby library:

EDIT: added to .txt to include the library holdings of the 1943-1957 volumes, which are under a different name

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by S.C. Wack]

Attachment: mempoudresworldcatsearch.txt (21kB)
This file has been downloaded 1157 times

Downloading complete volumes from Gallica

leu - 10-12-2005 at 18:48

It's rather easy to download entire volumes from Gallica, simply click telecharger once one gets into the Acrobat display of the first page, then select pdf or tiff and save it once it's downloaded :D

Rosco Bodine - 31-12-2005 at 19:04

^ Bump ^

Anybody have access to these R-salt articles ?

P. Aubertein , Mem. Poudres 33 , 227 ,
( 1951 )

H. Ficheroulle and A. Kovache , Mem. Poudres 33 , 241 ,
( 1951 )

Mémorial des Poudres at Gallica

pdb - 21-1-2006 at 06:14

http://gallica.bnf.fr is just the electronic part of the huge French National Library (BNF). The Mémorial volumes reachable on Gallica (up to 1900) are of poor interest. The best years are between the WW and beyond WWII. However, the BNF holds the full collection, but I don't really feel like getting there and photocopying all the volumes... In another life, I had access to the full collection and I spent a dozain hours browsing through, and making copies of the parts that then interested me, i.e. exotic primaries. I will post in another message the list of these primaries, in case someone might be interested. Unfortunately, the notices are fine-printed, making OCRing a bit difficult, and of course they are in French. But if someone is REALLY interested, I might produce a translation of the preparation procedures in plain English. Just a matter of time... ;)

Axt - 21-1-2006 at 06:48

Quote:
Originally posted by pdb
But if someone is REALLY interested, I might produce a translation of the preparation procedures in plain English. Just a matter of time... ;)

Pdb, thanks for volunteering :D I'm sure we can make you think twice before sticking your hand up to volunteer again ;)

I've uploaded the second r-salt article into the r-salt thread, I just asked someone to scan in the first so it shouldn't be long.

pdb - 22-1-2006 at 13:50

As said earlier, this is what I have in shop:

Volume XLI (1959)
carbonic diazotriazol acid
tetrazyl azide salts
fumaric acid azide
trinitro cyanuryl
nitroalcoylamides and their salts
triazido cyanuryl

Volume XXXI (1949)
lead styphnate
lead trinitrometaoxybenzoate
lead trinitrophloroglucinate
tetrazene
diaminotetrazene nitrate
trinitrotriazidobenzen
hexamethylenetriperoxydiamine
diazodinitrophenol
tricyclo acetone peroxyde

I must confess that in my recollection, the list was both longer and more exotic. I would understand you may be disappointed... c'est la vie ! Good night:P

Memorial des poudres et saltpetres

MadHatter - 22-1-2006 at 14:26

I don't know if this is what everybody is talking about, but there are 10 volumes of these,
years 1892 - 1900, under "CHEMISTRY - OTHER" on my FTP. Hope this is some help.

pdb - 25-1-2006 at 13:44

FYI I have uploaded the Mémorial excerpts mentionned earlier on the FTP in \upload\pdb directory.

A detail: I didn't translate anything...

Rosco Bodine - 27-1-2006 at 07:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt
I've uploaded the second r-salt article into the r-salt thread, I just asked someone to scan in the first so it shouldn't be long.

That sounds good . Please don't let that first reference
get away if it can be gotten too , as it is that Aubertein
article which reported the lab method for R-salt which
produced 84% yield . Auberteins method is probably similar
to the industrial process where the temperature is critical
for the good yield and also sulfuric acid is used instead of
hydrochloric acid used in the 50% yield method already well known and confirmed by your own experiments . 84% is quite an improvement over 50% so this is very interesting if it has been accurately reported , and doesn't turn out to be an 84% yield from a recrystallization of a crude product which
was obtained at much lower yield .

@pdb ,
It would be helpful if you could summarize the pertinent technical details from these R-salt articles which are the heart of the matter . A verbatim translation of the entire article is not required .