Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Whimsy....

BromicAcid - 21-12-2005 at 12:57

With "Jesus Loves You!" making its way into the top 5 most replied to topics I also noticed that whimsy is the second largest forum, only chemistry in general has more posts and topics, although there was a time when this section of science madness was hardly growing it has continued to grow and may someday soon overtake chemistry in general. Additionally, with the board upgrade I've noticed that a lot of our top posters (Vulture, Organikum, Rogue Chemist, etc.) are most active in whimsy. Will whimsy one day consume us all? :o

Maybe this should have went under forum matters instead of in whimsy :P

[Edited on 12/21/2005 by BromicAcid]

Cyrus - 21-12-2005 at 13:02

Well, I didn't put "Jesus loves you" in whimsy. I don't suppose there's a better spot for it, although the second half might fit better in legal and societal issues or something?

I was wondering about the different forum growth rates also. The problem (I believe that this came up in the thread about E&W) is that for most sections we need to post something new and original in that type of chemistry, which limits possible posts, while in whimsy, we can post something new and original about anything in the world, or even things that are boring... it's whimsy.

I don't have a solution, and yes, probably whimsy will overtake the other forums.

12AX7 - 21-12-2005 at 13:05

Something wrong with humanized conversation? ;)

Tim

chemoleo - 21-12-2005 at 13:27

Yes, but you are forgetting that there are only 600 whimsy topics in 4424 threads, meaning that it makes up 13.5 % of all threads, which isn't all that much.

I wouldn't worry about it. In addition, when the forum undergoes a little slow period, whimsy often picks up the slag.

woelen - 22-12-2005 at 13:19

Yes, it is good that there is a whimsy section. I agree with chemoleo that it is a nice way to keep active members active, also if there are fewer interesting chemistry things to be mentioned. Of course, for me, the real reason for being here is the nice chemistry, but a nice digression sometimes adds something to the chemistry as well :).

The_Davster - 22-12-2005 at 13:40

I agree with Chemoleo, it certainly does add something to this forum.
Alot of us will remember back in the day when Sciencemadness had only 5 sections, General Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Energetic materials, Bioactive materials and Whimsy, seeing as around 21% of my posts are in whimsy, aproximatly 1/5 of them, it makes sense based on the old forum.:P

Also, some of us are mainly experimenting in certain areas, Bromic, you are definatly most active in inorganic chemistry, others are more active in organic, and others in energetic materials, where as I have not really decided what area I prefer experimentation in. Not specializing in a certain are means posts are spread out over the chemistry forums, not allowing a majority in any.

Now when someones whimsy postcount is 50% or higher, then people should worry.:o

Whimsy

CPC - 18-7-2006 at 08:47

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the password to get into the Whimsy forum? Thanks

woelen - 18-7-2006 at 09:39

Contact one of the moderators by U2U, e.g. Polverone. After a few weeks of reasonable posting, I'm quite sure that you will be allowed to go to Whimsy also. But the final decision is not made by me, but by the moderators/admins of this site.

GSZ - 22-7-2006 at 20:01

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/usergallery.php/gallery/1567...

Chris The Great - 23-7-2006 at 02:54

What?

woelen - 23-7-2006 at 10:29

What the fuck is this :mad:???

Summer holl's ==> more trolls???

YT2095 - 23-7-2006 at 10:43

Oh Dear, one too many Amanita Psylocibe me thinks! :(

Woelen, You Swearing!!!! I`m shocked! :o:D

EDIT: Shouldn`t that be in Biochemistry anyway?

/yt2095 Hides :P

[Edited on 23-7-2006 by YT2095]

4 - 23-11-2006 at 21:49

hello. 4 is new to this forum and finds it very useful in the knowlage of chemistry. 4 just has a small question regarding the whimsy forum. why do you need a password to gain access to the forum? what is in the whimsy forum? nice website.

evil_lurker - 24-11-2006 at 03:52

I'm not a mod/admin, but this is my take on things:

Whimsy is password protected to prevent spammers, stupid noobs, K3wLz, trolls, SWIMS, and other disruptive/useless posters out.

In short, posting in whimsy is a privilage and you must be capable of showing some at least some degree of intelligence before being let in.

kaviaari - 24-12-2006 at 11:15

I'm so new in this forum that I don't have to guts to go and ask moderators for passwords. Sounds a bit odd? Well I think it's good to learn how to behave propely before running to the whimsy. Even though the pictures of labs-thread sounds extremely interesting :P

[Edited on 24-12-2006 by kaviaari]

vulture - 24-12-2006 at 14:02

Quote:

I'm so new in this forum that I don't have to guts to go and ask moderators for passwords.

It's better than being a wheasel and post stuff like this which the mods are going to read anyway! :P

anti-semetic?

chemrox - 10-2-2007 at 20:01

Was the jpg post just a wee bit hateful? Or was it can you take a joke?

quicksilver - 12-2-2007 at 08:05

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
Was the jpg post just a wee bit hateful? Or was it can you take a joke?

I dounbt that the collection was anything but entertainment for those who indulge.
However the 1st one of the NY Times wa pretty close to the truth....the rest were 1930's posters displaying the depth of the propganda at that time. Don't know if it was entertainment for the " 'shroomed" or ment as a smear...

Eliteforum - 12-2-2007 at 11:46

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo

When the forum undergoes a little slow period, whimsy often picks up the slag.

I do hope you mean "slack".. :P