Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Thoughts On Anodes

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  12

dann2 - 26-1-2009 at 16:48

Thanks for that Sedit,

O well, it's good to clear it up. As someone used to say in my neck of the woods:
"Thinking thought your bum was Castletown" :D
(Sorry it's a bit rude!!)

I think the Diamonds are some way off for us, perhaps not.
There would be nothing to beat a bit of bling when it come to Chlorate and Perchlorate making!
A good anode for to make Chlorate is the Manganese Dioxide anode. It will last a very long time in a pH controlled cell IMO. It has only been tried in a non pH controlled cell where is lasted some weeks, though the cell went a rather, shall we call it, gay colour.

Cheers,
Dann2

Sedit - 26-1-2009 at 19:36

"Thinking thought your bum was Castletown"
(Sorry it's a bit rude!!)
:P

Yehhhh... I THINK;) I may have been confusing some of the gold perchlorite solutions they used for electrolyts in some papers with gold electrodes.
Oh well happends to the best of us. Either way my statement on using gold leaf to cover carbon electrodes still holds true and I have used them for various applications because of the low corrosion rate and cheap way to gold electrodes.

Swede - 27-1-2009 at 08:37

Quote:
Originally posted by dann2

Chromium also buffers the cell. I am not using any.

From the pH controlled Graphite anode cell I have good news and weird news.
First the weird.
I was adding acid at quite a large rate, as stated above, and increasing the rate so to get pH down to 6.8. The rate had gone up to 0.42ml per hour per amp. The pH dropped to 6.7 so I decided to turn off the acid to let pH increase a bit. I assumed that when acid was turned off for about an hour or so the pH would go back up.
24 hours later with no acid going into cell the pH had increased from 6.7 to 6.8!!
The cell seems to be staying rock steady at the wanted pH without adding any acid.

That IS good news, and verifies something I noted earlier... with NO acid additions to a newly-fired up chlorate cell, the pH seems to rapidly climb to 8 or 9+, and stays there... we are into the "9-electron" mode of chlorate production. Call it Mode 9, for lack of a better term.

Then, the acid goes in, and you enter "Mode-6". There seems to be some sort of natural buffering that takes place. Additional acid has less of an effect than one might suppose, and the pH does NOT tend to climb as badly as it does when the cell is first energized. Weird, but beneficial. Implication: An initial control of pH is essential, acid is needed, but once "in the zone", the system tends to stabilize nicely, with only occasional checks of the pH needed.

Quote:
The temperature of the cell is low at 23C so conditions are not optimum for 'Chemical Chlorate formation'. I guess I could wrap some insulation around it but am not going to bother. Will just let it run its course (approx 5 days).

I think your low temps are keeping the graphite intact, and the process clean, at the expense of a bit of efficiency - the former being preferable to the latter, unless the efficiency is now down to 8% or something ridiculous. You'll find out soon enough! Is there enough liquor to draw off a sample and do a quantitative analysis of the chlorate concentration? And are you tracking chloride as well? Those Hach chloride titration strips I mentioned are handy as hell, although at a price. At 85 cents per strip, it's still probably cheaper than mixing your own silver nitrate titration solution; easier too.

Quote:
Thats another advantage with using MMO when controlling cell pH in a one cell system. You can let the temperatrue go way up to 70C or so and since MMO is so tough it does not seem to get damaged. 70C would probably erode Graphite too much.
To get the best from Graphite you would really need a two compartment system. One compartment with anode (below 35C or so) and another larger compartment with a higher temperature (70 - 80C) for to achieve optimum conditions for the 'Chemical Chlorate formation' to take place.

That's where my old "Super T-Cell" would have shined, if I had started with sodium salts. Something I still want to try. By varying the speed of the peristaltic pump, I was easily able to get a Delta Temp. of 40 to 50 degrees C. Of course, using graphite, you'd be in a sort of "reverse" mode... you want to keep the electrolytic cell (w/anodes) cool (immerse cell in H2O and blow a fan across the water) and add heat to the bulk cell for chlorate formation.

Quote:
I think the lesson to be learned from this cell is that if you want to avoid the mess with Graphite and have the anode last long and long then controll the pH. iT's early days yet and the anode may start to erode after some time.

Dann2

Are you tracking voltage and current? I hope it's not too early for a congrats on a graphite cell that is clean... hopefully it'll stay that way. Nice job!

Swede ;)

dann2 - 29-1-2009 at 11:40

Hello,

I am tracking current (it stays steady at approx. 5.2 amps.) but not voltage. I will start measuring it.
The supply is a computer PSU with Nicrome wire resistor.
After five days the solution is <strike>Crystal</strike> Diamond clear!
If you rub your finger on the anode black comes off.

The amount of acid keeping the pH at 6.9 is now a sensible amount (0.115ml per hour per amp, that 0.6ml per hour going into cell).

I am taking a sample very day so will titrate and get an idea of CE etc. Have no Chloride strips, too miserable to purchase though they would definitely be very very handy.

The cell contains 2 liters of saturated Na Chloride so it should be coming near the end of it's 'run time'.
Will let it run untill erosion starts to show on anode and that will tell me what the Chloride concentration is at the point where erosion starts. Perhaps there will not be a sudden start to erosiong due to low Chloride.
The picture below shows the end of the anode. The corner not in the solution can be seen and it is still sharp like when it started off. The other corner looks eroded a bit, but thats because it is under the solution surface and bubbling, giving visual distortion.

@Swede, have you cranked up a (4 month long run) cell to test the LD on MMO'ed Ti yet????????????????? :P

Dann 2

LONG LIVE THE POOR MAN'S MMO!

[Edited on 29-1-2009 by dann2]

[Edited on 30-1-2009 by dann2]

no_erosion.jpg - 97kB

Swede - 29-1-2009 at 12:34

Looking good Dann2! Historically, how low can you go (Cl-) with graphite anodes before erosion becomes a real problem? Once the efficiency of the setup is known, you can certainly predict chloride vs. chlorate with relative accuracy. Good to hear that the HCl dosing is working as well. At 6.9 pH, you are right at that sweet spot for chlorate formation. I'll bet the efficiency will be fairly high.

I haven't cranked up the LD anode yet. I wanted to make one or two more, and the WX has been too cold. I stopped by a local "Container Store", and if you don't mind paying the $$, (and are in the U.S.) they have quite a bit of Nalgene lab quality bottles and other useful stuff for a lab. Anyway, I picked up some small (2 liter ) PET plastic food containers for test purposes.

Latest business has been recrystallization of some Pt-produced perchlorate. Along with sodium sulfite and KOH to neutralize, I hope to have chlorate-free perc when the smoke clears. No point in making perc for pyrotechnics if you can't clean it adequately. Anyone have any idea on how industry uses Sodium Sulfite to reduce chlorate ions? I took a guess and added 4 grams to 300 grams of boiling perchlorate. It's going to suck if it takes multiple recrystallizations to remove all chlorate. I'd like to avoid using acid if I can.

Edit to add: The reason I wondered about voltage was because I was not sure about your power supply, if it was a constant current supply or not. With CC, you can get interesting (and I think valuable) data from the voltage as it varies. Plotting voltage vs. time produces a curve that is predictable, and I think it could be useful to calculate end-of-run conditions.

[Edited on 29-1-2009 by Swede]

hashashan - 29-1-2009 at 13:02

Its been some time,
now since i work in a plasma lab I have acess to some interesting things.
Did anyone try conductive Zinc oxide plated on glass?
anyone knows how well will it last in the harsh cell conditions?

dann2 - 29-1-2009 at 18:19

Hello Hashashan,

By coincidence there is a paper on Al doped Zn Oxide films over in the reference section. See post of posted on 28-1-2009 at 08:51 PM
I have not read it and don't know if it is of any use or not.

Cheers,
Dann2

hashashan - 29-1-2009 at 23:10

I think Ill just try that out, in a completely uncontrolled system and se when it will fail.
Ill start the run on monday

Swede - 4-2-2009 at 13:40

I made a valiant effort to remove traces of chlorate from a modest batch of Pt-generated perchlorate and blogged the results here.

It didn't work. I think I made an error by neutralizing (actually probably more like pH 8) prior to adding the sulfite. If the solution is not acidic, SO2 is not produced, and little or no reduction takes place.

Next cleanup attempts will consist of potassium metabisulfite on a smaller scale.

Another LD plating will take place, hopefully tomorrow, with the goal being more of a flash plating than a semi-massive LD anode. If a light plating adheres to MMO, AND produces perc successfully, then I'll count it as a success. I am going to repeat the process that produced the better anode, especially the heavy boiling of the anode in the surfactant solution.

I also came up with yet another heater idea... I have a bit of Ti tube... crimp and/or weld shut, install the cartridge heater, and either surround the heater with fine grog, or wrap with 304 SS foil for a tight, sliding fit in the Ti tube.

[Edited on 4-2-2009 by Swede]

watson.fawkes - 4-2-2009 at 18:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Swede
I also came up with yet another heater idea... I have a bit of Ti tube... crimp and/or weld shut, install the cartridge heater, and either surround the heater with fine grog, or wrap with 304 SS foil for a tight, sliding fit in the Ti tube.
If you've got some of one of those low melting point bismuth alloys, you could cast it in place. Reversible in hot water.

Swede - 5-2-2009 at 15:19

Quote:
Originally posted by watson.fawkes
Quote:
Originally posted by Swede
If you've got some of one of those low melting point bismuth alloys, you could cast it in place. Reversible in hot water.

I'm afraid most of the cheap cartridge heaters have wattage densities high enough to liquify the alloy even with the outer tube immersed... but a castable metal (perhaps lead?) is a great idea.

I had some success cleaning up perchlorate with sulfite, but it took more sulfite than I expected, indicating that my perc was exceptionally dirty, or my method sucked. It required 4 grams of sulfite to clean up 20 grams of perchlorate.

Any thoughts on perc purification? Selective or preferential reduction of chlorate vs perchlorate is a bit of a mystery... why does the chlorate reduce, but not the perchlorate?

Googling any combination of "purification of perchlorate" or "reduction of chlorates with sulfites" yields either groundwater purification processes, or bacterial investigations.

So far, my technique (for now) consists of bringing to a boil a near-saturated solution of raw perc, acidifying with HCl, then adding sulfite salt in measured quantities, liberating the reducing agent SO2. The addition of the sulfite salts increases pH dramatically, and my modest research indicates the solution must be acidic to work correctly, thus fairly large amounts of HCl are required. After testing clean, the perc (for pyrotechnic use) is neutrlized with KOH, chilled, and collected.

I mentioned to Tentacles in a PM (he already has a sheet) - I bought three sheets of that angled MMO from the eBay guy at $10 per sheet. Odd stuff. Definitely MMO. The underlying Ti is thicker than my stuff. The MMO appears to be a different comp... the shade is very slightly different; OR, it may be used, which is no big deal because the stuff doesn't get used up, really.

The 90-degree part looks to be browner than the rest, and I believe this stuff was used in a chlorine plant or water purification plant, whereby the electrical connections are made by clamping the bent part in big clamps, while the remainder did the work. Just a guess.

I'll throw a shank on one and try a test. I bet it'll work (and plate) fine.

The price at $10/sheet is cheaper per square inch than the stuff I bought earlier... might be worth grabbing one or two before they're all gone:

MMO Sheet at $10 per

dann2 - 6-2-2009 at 12:34

Hello Swede,

The Perchlorate ion is very stable, that is why it persists in the environment for so long. The Chlorate ion is less stable and easier to reduce.

edit:
There is a reaction equation here for Metabisulphite.
and some stuff on Sulphite/Bisulphite dissociation here

You could consider doing a titration on your sample (before Chlorate destruction step) to see how much actual Chlorate is in it. It's not too difficult to do using Ferrous Sulphate, Potassium Permanganate, Manganese Sulphate (not too sure what the Manganese Sulphate is for) and Sulphuric acid + some time.

+ another edit>
Mix some of your product with sugar and drop conc. Sulphuric acid on it. If you get ignition (or crackling noise) you have far too much Chlorate to start destroying with chemicles.

Dann2

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by dann2]

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by dann2]

dann2 - 7-2-2009 at 12:09

Hello Folks,

Some pictures of Graphite Anode from a pH controlled cell. Erosion is low. It is now day 14.
Up a few posts I stated the 'run time' of this cell was about 5 days which was totally wrong. The cell contains approx. 2 liters. Assuming 320grams per liter NaCl (11 moles total NaCl) and I convert all the Chloride into Chlorate at 100% CE then at 5.5 amps that is going to take 13.5 days. If I leave 100 grams per liter Chloride and get 70% CE it will take 14 days.
Anyhow I am taking samples and we shall see later.
You could probable use KClO3 directly from this cell as there would be very little black erosion product.
The solution is not clear. The picture with the thermometer in a jamjar with cell solution shows no black at all while the other picture exaggerates the black hue too much in the solution.
There is very little erosion to be seen on the anode. I intend to let the cell run untill there is alot of erosion on the anode which (I presume) will start to occur when Chloride gets low. Cell temperature is 18C.

Dann2

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by dann2]

erosion_3_a.jpg - 69kB

chloric1 - 7-2-2009 at 17:33

Quote:

The price at $10/sheet is cheaper per square inch than the stuff I bought earlier... might be worth grabbing one or two before they're all gone:

@ swede-Thank you for the link. Any luck with this? Let us no
@dann2 and anyone else interested:
I found a seller who is selling sodium metabisulfite and other chems at good prices. Just click here

[Edited on 2/7/2009 by chloric1]

y2kbugger - 7-2-2009 at 17:38

those cheap sheets do seem pretty scratched up tho

dann2 - 7-2-2009 at 17:50

Hello Folks,

Thanks Chloric1. I don't actually make much Chlorate/Perchlorate. Testing anodes mostly. I would be inclined to try Ferrous Sulphate for destroying Chlorate. I can get tons of it cheap.
The Titanium mesh (with the MMO coating, but nobody is 100% sure yet, variety) is cheap even if there is no MMO coating on it. Ti mesh is hard to come by (unless you happen to be willing to 'visit' and 'charm' the pool chlorination community........) ;-)
I will not be convinced about the (free) MMO coating on the Ti mesh untill someone sticks it into a Chlorate cell. Colour alone is not an indication of a coating that will make Chlorate! Hope I am wrong though.
Dann2

y2kbugger - 7-2-2009 at 18:03

well that will be me in the next day or two. i may take some pictures. And have some Chlorate/No Clorate results in a week or so.

what math do you guys use for purity analysis?
i would say:
heat a measured amount
calculate theoretical O2 loss
and divide the measured loss by theoretical

That's assuming a KCl/KClO3 only mixture which is(?) an ok assumption.

Do i need a catalyst?

Swede - 8-2-2009 at 07:51

Quote:
Originally posted by y2kbugger
those cheap sheets do seem pretty scratched up tho

The ones I got seemed pretty decent. There were one or two locations where the MMO is thin or rubbed off, but I'd say the sheets I bought are 99% covered, and they look good physically. You might have gotten a poor example.

Exposed Ti is not a problem. So long as the MMO does not detach from the Ti, and the formulation is correct, I think it will make chlorate just fine, and exposed Ti will simply oxidize. The cut sheet I've been using from the start has exposed Ti at the edge, and the hanger strap (shank) itself is also exposed and immersed with no problems at all.

I've cut off the 90-degree part and am now wondering what to do with it. Make mini-anodes? Salvage the MMO in some fashion, mechanically or chemically? A while back, I did try dipping a scrap of commercial sheet into cold, 70% nitric with no apparent reaction. It seems to be tough stuff.

Hint for cutting - Use a vertical bandsaw with as fine a teeth set as possible, and run it as slowly as possible. Back the mesh with either very thin plywood, or thick cardboard. It cuts nicely in this way. I'd wear a dust mask, but I doubt very much that MMO is being ejected or becoming airborne, but better safe than sorry.

Edit to add: y2kbugger, if the MMO is capable of making chlorate, then to answer your question, no, I don't think any added catalyst is needed or desirable. If I was forced to choose one, I'd prefer NaF over dichromate, as you have a non-cumulative, vs. a cumulative poison. The NaF should easily remain dissolved in either the wash of the K-crystals, or the metathesis to potassium salts of your Na-based system.

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by Swede]

dann2 - 8-2-2009 at 08:03

Hello,

@Swede You can weld the scraps together with you spot welder. If you weld an ordinary piece of Ti to a strip you could make an anode with all the MMO (if it is MMO) underneath the surface. The piece that you have cut off is an inch wide. Not very small at all at all.
You could also use them as small (desirable) Cathodes with larger anodes. .

Dip the end of one of them into a salt solution quick with power connected and relieve us of the suspence/anticipation.

Heating to drive off Oxygen should work OK. You will need an accurate scale of the amounts of Chlorate are small. Make sure it is dry before you start. I think Manganese Dioxide acts as a catalyst for the decomposition of Chlorates when heated.

And replying to post below!
Would a pair of wire snips not cut the mesh?

Dann2

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by dann2]

y2kbugger - 8-2-2009 at 08:03

so is the oxide coating non conductive then? like what if one were to use just a sheet of titanium?

ha i used a dremel, went through 3 cutting disks before i got two electrodes made.

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by y2kbugger]

replying back up to ya, I tried some very large tin snips and that didn't work, and I didn't wanna risk chewin up my wire cutters.

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by y2kbugger]

dann2 - 8-2-2009 at 08:51

Hello,

It must be Grade 2, 3, 4 or 5 stuff.
It definitely is not Grade one as it is quite soft, like brass, from my dealings with the stuff.
Hack saw?? If it is wearing dremel blades is must be tough.

Ti metal is called a Valve metal. Valve metals will immediately stop coducting if placed into an (say Chloride) electrolyte as an Anode because a very very tough uniform coating of their Oxide forms that is thick enough to stop the current from flowing (or will get thicker). It is refered to as 'self protecting under anodic conditions' (call it self sealing or self healing if you like). Other Valve metals are Hf, Ta, Nb, Zr (I think), W and Al (Aluminium would have the weakest Oxide coat).
If you put enough Voltage to the Valve metal that you have as an Anode then the Oxide coat will break down and current will flow and the Valve metal will corrode. For Ti I think you need about 20 volts. For Ta you need about 50 volts. Al, a tens of Mili Volts. (These figures may not be exact).
The MMO coating is of course conducting. When a bit of it is scratched off the exposed Ti just anodically protects itself and does not corrode unlike non Valve metals.See
here for some Ti Oxide info.

Still think someone shoud do a one minute test on a piece of the stuff to see if it is MMO coated before cells etc are put together.

Dann2

y2kbugger - 8-2-2009 at 09:00

well I am still working on sealing every little hole in my cell with silicone, I am done with corroded wires...

my klc is on its way...I left it in a car and forgot to grab it, so when ever she stopps by my house i can get it.

ahh i see, that really interesting about that Valve metal. I am guessing that where ANODEizing aluminum gets its name.(and i doubled checked wikipedia to make sure my guess was right) LOL

next couple days and i should be able to run a test

Swede - 8-2-2009 at 10:57

OK OK, I'll weld a shank on one and let rip! A small-scale test with potassium salts won't take long, and if starting with 50 or 60 degree saturated KCl, and then keeping it at that temp so no KCl falls out, it should make visible chlorate in just a day or two at 40 to 60 amps. It will be a very harsh test that will check the integrity of the MMO, at a high current density.

Edit - add: Hmm, I'm not so sure anymore. I've probably spot-welded 20+ cathodes and anodes before today with this rig. Normally I don't scrape or sand the MMO material off first at the contact points, but with this stuff...

The first weld was made; I removed the clamp arms, and CLANG both mesh and shank fall to the floor, quite separate. ZERO adhesion. I tried again, same result. By dremeling off the MMO at the weld juncture, I was able to weld it up, apparently OK. This behaviour is very much different from my proven MMO, which welds like crazy, easy as pie, no scraping needed.

There may be some sort of chemical film ON TOP OF the supposed MMO coating. One way or another, we'll find out.

In the end, I think it welded successfully.

dann2 - 8-2-2009 at 14:17

Hello Swede,

Did the current stop flowing yet. (Not being impatent or anything!!!!!!)
If the current flows for a few minutes in a cell without the Voltage rising then I would be willing to bet that is is MMO.
There are very few coatings that would be on Ti that would allow Anodic (ie. +) Current to flow for a few minutes (or less even) without the Voltage rising (coating being eroded off and Ti Oxide forming) and the current flow stopping.
Has the current stoped yet p;

Dann2

I just heard a statement from the telly by Amelda Marcos.
"They did not find any skeletons in my cupboards, only lots and lots of lovely shoes".

Swede - 8-2-2009 at 14:52

Well let me toss it into a beaker full of KCl and see what the currents and the voltages look like... hang on.

Edit: 1 liter relatively weak KCl solution - no "used" liquor. Anode dimensions: 2.5" X 2.5". Cathode dimensions, slightly smaller. Spacing, approx 3/4" or maybe 15 mm.

There is of course massive bubbling and a distinct smell of bleach; a faint smell of chlorine. I will leave it at 4.88V and watch the current, and will reduce voltage only if heating becomes a problem.

I set the supply to constant voltage, and dialing up from 0, here is what I saw...

V------A
0.00--0
1.00--0
2.00--0
2.72--0.10
3.00--0.60
3.30--1.70
3.50--2.50
3.80--3.80
4.88--10.00

I decided to leave it at 4.88V. It started at 10 amps, and over 1/2 hour, it went to 12.1A. Over 1 hour, to 13.6. The amperage is INCREASING at a constant voltage.

I switched the supply to constant current; 13.6A and 4.88V. If the trend of increasing conductivity continues, we should see the voltage DROP. Heating moderate. I have a fan blowing over it and guess the temp to be no more than 50C right now. It is in an HDPE bucket plus a loose-fitting lid. At 13.6A, the smell of chlorine has increased.

So far, it appears to be functioning the same as I would expect any other chlorate-capable MMO. I see no problems... yet. :P

dann2 - 8-2-2009 at 16:03

Hello Swede,

Have you taken a break :P

Edit:
Sorry about that. Your post just appeared. Looks like it's good news all around. End of edit.

Anyhow if perhaps the stuff will (god forbid) not pass current it may have a layer of (shall I say) shit on it.
You have suggested this yourself when you could not weld it first time.
Read below, it is from this book
Page 111

Dann2

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by dann2]

blocked.gif - 16kB

casting composition for heater tube thermal link

watson.fawkes - 8-2-2009 at 16:29

The Pb-Bi eutectic is Pb 44.5% Bi 55.5%, melting at 123.5 &deg;C. Other melting points: Pb 327.5 &deg;C, Bi 271.5 &deg;C. You used to be able to buy Bismuth shot from shot shell reloading suppliers, but they seem to all have switched to tungsten-based formulations. In any case, some Bi would lower the melting point of lead enough to avoid worry about frying the insulation. Even so, you'll want to use teflon, which is typically rated to 200 &deg;C.

You'll want to decide whether to encase the wires or not. Disadvantages are increase material cost (primarily the Bi) and the possibility of shorting out the leads at their junction with the case of the cartridge. Advantage is lower thermal resistance.

Swede - 9-2-2009 at 12:42

Thank you WF... this is a likely method to both secure the cartridge heater, and ensure that the heat transfers successfully. For a lead dioxide plating rig, a Titanium heater is second only to an expensvie process heater encased in PTFE, or glass/quartz, in terms of desirability.

I took a careful look at fish heaters, and the hot zone on all of those that were capable of 100 watts + (minimum) were very long, too tall to mount vertically, and in most cases, too long for a horizontal, submerged system, unless the plating tank is quite large.

Update on the cheap eBay mesh - it continues to conduct, the material is intact, and the products generated (chlorine and hydrogen gas; hypochlorites, other relatively noxious species) are right in line with previous MMO use for chlorate production. Whatever the stuff is, it appears to be capable. For a given voltage, current continues to rise, and by extension, when the system is in CC (Constant Current) mode, the voltage for a given amperage is dropping. Previous examples have shown a similar pattern, with the voltage vs. time curve to be concave... starts high, drops, then begins to climb as chloride ion concentration decreases.

I will continue to run until I have visible chlorate from this small, 1 liter cell, then pull the plug, and examine the mesh. But as of yet, no signs of deteriotration. The ONLY issue was the welding problem.

Idea... I'm going to try and do controlled measurements of the resistance of this material vs. the proven mesh. Then, I am going to try an etch in 20% nitric to test both the durability of the oxides, and to see if perhaps there is some chemical residue or more likely some film that inhibits spot welding. I get the feeling that this MMO is not as electrically conductive as the other material, meaning it'll heat more; BUT, so far, the voltages have been right in line with previous efforts. Stand by for updates...

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by Swede]

Swede - 11-2-2009 at 12:32

Results of the cheap eBay anode for chlorate production:

Excellent, approaching spectacular. I am amazed at how much was made, so quickly, in such a small cell. I did no calculations, did not measure chloride, I simply pulled the plug on it when I had to leave town after maybe 2 days.

This was a lowly 1 liter cell, and I started with KCl stock, no used liquor, precursors, or additives of any kind. The current varied between 5 (at night) to 15 max, at which point the 1 quart plastic bucket began to get too hot.

The bottom of the bucket had about an inch of crystals, which I filtered and washed:

I could see no ill effects on the anode mesh. Color variation in this photo are nothing more than a damp, uncleaned anode... it exhibits a typical white smut that cleans off easily.

And the set itself:

Standard Titanium cathode. The efficiency had to be high. I didn't even chill the liquor prior to harvesting. HCl additions were occasional wash-bottle squirts. If you want cheap MMO, that is as inexpensive as I've ever encountered.

Please, no one suggest that it makes perc. I'm not even going to try. If someone wants to know that badly, buy some yourself.

The ONLY drawback I found so far is the odd shape, and the fact that welding it is a bit more challenging, but no big deal. I have come to the conclusion, though, that as cheap as this stuff is, I'd simply cut it in such a way that you don't NEED to weld a shank onto it. Simply cut it into a useful shape and attach your DC current directly to the mesh.

Dann2, how goes the graphite cell? :P

[Edited on 11-2-2009 by Swede]

MMO MMO MMO MMO MOO!

dann2 - 11-2-2009 at 16:13

Hello Swede,

Definitely MMO, no doubt about it.
MMO has come from a difficult to get thing, to being sold on ebay at a knockdown price and under the name of Ti mesh!
The Graphite will have to be renamed very-poor-mans MMO or perhaps Paupers MMO.

The Paupers MMO (PMMO) is going OK. There is little or no erosion visible on the anode though the liquid is getting black. There is actually very little black suspension. Still taking samples and keeping pH at about 7.0. Temp. of cell is approx. 18C. Takes quite alot of acid when it is all added up.
Some phots's below. The jam jar views consist of exibit one with a light behind the jar. The other one (exhibit two), no light behind the jar.
You can see the anode clearly in the other picture. There is very little erosion. There is no noticable thinning or erosion at the water line (not shown in picture).

Dann2

LONG LIVE THE PMMO!!!!!!!

erosion_3.jpg - 25kB

y2kbugger - 11-2-2009 at 19:43

nice results, I hooked up my 12 Amp cell yesterday, and within 20 hours I have a half an in of crystals built up at the bottom

i should have put the electrodes deeper so it would convect more, the top is so hot and the bottom still cool... ohhh well, its working.

and by the way, how much KCl can you guys dissolve. I tried for 330g per L, but it just precipitated out to about 280g per L i was using distilled water.

how did you figure out your percent purity swede?

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by y2kbugger]

Swede - 12-2-2009 at 09:03

Quote:
Originally posted by y2kbugger
nice results, I hooked up my 12 Amp cell yesterday, and within 20 hours I have a half an in of crystals built up at the bottom

i should have put the electrodes deeper so it would convect more, the top is so hot and the bottom still cool... ohhh well, its working.

and by the way, how much KCl can you guys dissolve. I tried for 330g per L, but it just precipitated out to about 280g per L i was using distilled water.

how did you figure out you percent purity swede?

If you refer to the 99.3% I think I quoted in my blog, that number is suspect, and excludes contaminants other than chloride. What I did was took 10 grams of cell chlorate after it was washed and harvested, but BEFORE any recrystallization or other sort of processing, dissolved that in distilled water, and used Hach chloride titration strips to determine how much chloride ended up in and on the raw crystals. A bit of math yielded the 99.3% value. You could do the same thing using silver nitrate titration, or some other technique. Some of the other possible contaminants might be chlorites, hypochlorites, etc, but given the total lack of any hypo/chlorine smell of both solid and solution, I'm fairly comfortable that the major pollutant was chloride.

The process with MMO is so clean, I'm fairly confident that I do not need to recrystallize before feeding the chlorate into a perchlorate cell. But if you wanted to, there's no doubt that recrystallization of harvested chlorate would result in a very clean product, probably close to 99.8%

The other conclusion I came to was that it is WORTH a thorough wash during harvesting. You'll lose product (but it gets recycled) and you end up with cleaner chlorate.

I have no idea of the concentration of KCl for this particular experiment. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I filled 1/3 or more with KCl nuggets from a big bag; it was then topped off with water, and allowed to sit for several weeks. When I need KCl stock, I simply decant. The concentration will vary with the temp of the bucket. If I wanted to really max out a run, I'd saturate at the planned temp, say 60 degrees, and then lay the current on fast and heavy to keep the heat up and prevent any KCl from crystallizing. After a day or so, if the heat has been maintained, enough chloride will have been used to make the possibility of KCl crystal formation due to cooling off a bit a very small one.

I'm going to set up some sort of data-logger system and track a few runs. There's GOT to be some valuable data in the voltage, current, pH, and temp, enough so that it should be possible to execute additional runs without constant fuss and monitoring of chloride levels, end of run conditions, etc. Something along the lines of "when the voltage required for 50 amps is at 1.3X starting voltage, then the chloride should be at 8% by weight; time to harvest..." Using data in this manner does require a CC/CV supply for meaningful results.

@Dann2 - it's amazing that the edges of your graphite anode are not more corroded. I too got the simple "feeling" that significant amounts of HCl are required to maintain optimum conditions. I also get the feeling that proper pH is something we (as a group) have ignored for too long. My last big run, with the T-Cell, was pH controlled, and the efficiency went way up, AND the environment seemed to be "sweeter" for lack of a better term... less chlorine and hypo smell.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Swede]

dann2 - 12-2-2009 at 13:17

Hello Folks,

Came accross the following paper from:
http://www.chlorimax.com/pdfs/Effects_of_Electrolyte_Impurit...
It's describes (cut and paste):
Presentation provides an introductory review of the role
of electrolyte impurities in chlorate cells on DSA
coating and chlorate cell performance. Provides a
series of case histories discussing specific impurities
that have initiaited premature DSA failures in chlorate
systems. Also touches on the impact of impurities on
solution processes and cathode effetcs often mistaken
for changes in anode performance. Presentation is
speciifc to the chlorate cell industry.

It's a good read IMO AFAICS. Have not read it yet though.
It is attached below also.
It says that Flourine is bad news for DSA. It attacks Ti.
The F may be bad news for LD Ti substrate anode too?
We sometimes use F in Perchlorate cells to stop reduction at the Cathode and raise the Oxygen overvoltage at the anode (ie. cell will make less Oxygen).

You do have to laugh at the long life times of DSA though.

See their Technical section here:
http://www.chlorimax.com
for lots of info. on Nafion membrane and more if you should be so inclined.........

Dann2

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by dann2]

Attachment: Effects of Impurities in Chlorate cells on DSA.pdf (712kB)
This file has been downloaded 940 times

y2kbugger - 12-2-2009 at 15:54

yea that was the figure i was referring too. ha thats such a simple method of doing it i was looking at a chlorate titration:
Iodometrically
1. Treat the sample to remove hypochlorite, and dilute it such as to obtain a solution containing approximately 0.02M of chlorate.

2. Place 25 ml of the chlorate solution in a glass-stoppered conical flask and add 3 ml of concentrated hydrochloric acid followed by two portions of about 0.3g each of pure sodium hydrogencarbonate to remove air.

3. Add immediately about 1.0 g of iodate-free potassium iodide and 22 ml of concentrated hydrochloric acid.

4. Stopper the flask, shake the contents, and allow it to stand for 5-10 minutes. Iodine is liberated according to the following reaction:

ClO3- + 6I- + 6H+ Cl- + 3I2 + 3H2O

4. Titrate the solution with standard 0.1M thiosulphate in the usual manner.
Using ferrous sulphate
1. Treat the sample to remove hypochlorite, and dilute it such as to obtain a solution containing approximately 0.02M of chlorate.

2. Place 25.0 ml of the sample solution in a 250 ml conical flask.

3. Add 25.0 ml of 0.2M ammonium iron(II)sulphate solution (Mohr's salt) in 2M sulphuric acid.

4. Cautiously add 12 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid.

5. Heat the mixture to boiling, and cool to room temperature by placing the flask in running tap water.

6. Now, either titrate the excess of Fe2+ with potassium permanganate or with 0.02M potassium dichromate with an indicator of 20 ml 1:1 water/phosporic(V) acid and 0.5 ml sodium diphenyl-amine-sulphonate.

seems a little complex.

well my anodes are doing fine, the MMO is holding up just as swedes did.
but.. my air vent hose connector came loose from the heat/corrsive fluid, and let my perfectly non corroded wire attachment get all oxidized.....damn, my next one will be secured better

dann2 - 12-2-2009 at 16:08

Hello y2kbugger,

There is a Chlorate titration here. You probably seen it before. It's not too difficult to do. Works for me anyways.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

Dann2

Swede - 13-2-2009 at 08:52

I realize my method was crude and presumptive, but wouldn't the easier method be detection (mass determination) of everything that is NOT chlorate, as opposed to determining chlorate concentration? The latter is important for obvious reasons, but I think by making simple presumptions, we can simplify.

Destroy chlorites and hypochlorites, leaving chloride and chlorate ion. Titrate for chloride. Everything else is chlorate.

With modern MMO, the challenge isn't so much the chemistry, it is the physical construction of the cell, and the materials used, that presents the greatest challenge, IMO. Cells tend to fall apart, chlorine is dumped, connections corrode at insane rates...

@Dann2, thanks for the resource.

Today I need to put some work into a thermocouple amplifier for the data logger. The only reason I'm going type K TC is because I have a lot of hardware for it left over from a previous project, and the TC is useful for high-temp processes.

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by Swede]

dann2 - 13-2-2009 at 11:18

Hello Folks,

I would agree that there is nothing to beat the Chloride strips both for Chloride and (indirectly) for Chlorate.

When one goes over to MMO (it's not too long ago (or am I getting old) that bare pieces of Ti were hard to come by, MMO was more or less not available) ) the 'bottle neck' of problems shifts to other things in the Chlorate business. The 'Anode problem' is no longer a problem, in fact, it will probably be the last thing to give trouble in the cell (as pointed out by Swede).

I think there is very little Chlorites and Hypochlorites in a Chlorate solution. A one or two percent. Not too sure. Does anyone here know how much exactly?
Giving the solutions a good boil gets rid of most of them AFAIK.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 13-2-2009 at 12:01

What I am thinking at this point is that if a PVA thickened
hydrosol of peptized hydrated Bi2O3 and SnO2 is applied as a dip and bake coating to the MMO , maybe three or four coats, what will be the result is a perchlorate anode.

See example 1 and 2 of the attached patent US6777477 and modify example 2 following the increase of PVA to 0.87 g as
described for example 7. The level of Bi doping could also probably be raised, perhaps doubled. A very small amount of included Antimony doping on the order of 1/2% to 1% would probably result in a finer grain structure for the baked coating. That should get the job done. This treatment could perhaps be finished by a dip in ammonium fluoride and baking, although this is my speculation concerning the fluoride treatment which should further toughen and dope the coating.

Really this should be done for an oxygen barrier before electrodeposition of PbO2, to change the overvoltage gradient for the coating layers in a way that opposes
delamination of PbO2 by any permeation of electrolyte
which could evolve oxygen at a lower voltage than the
outer surface PbO2, spreading across the interface of
the PbO2 and MMO otherwise to separate the layers.
As the MMO is catalytic it would tend to preferentially evolve oxygen from any permeating electrolyte, unless it has been coated with something like Bismuth or Niobium doped SnO2
in order to raise its oxygen overvoltage higher than the
the overlying PbO2.

Hmmmm, it's just about time for a Valentine's Day
diva break :D So my fellow estrogen admirers .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpkF31MQ30&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQcvCfi4G8&fmt=18

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US6777477 Bi2O3 doped SnO2 via ammonia soluble derivative.pdf (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 587 times

mmo's available via ebay = $39 american

jimwig - 13-2-2009 at 14:38

mmo's available via ebay = $39 american

after all the hassle to do with DIY this seems a very reasonable solution.

but i could be wrong.

Graphite Erosion

dann2 - 15-2-2009 at 19:27

Hello Folks,

Ye old PMMO (Graphite) cell is starting to look like a classic Graphite Anode cell. Jet black electrolyte that you cannot see through even when there is a light behind the cell or container.
Some photo's below. I did not bother with the photo of some of the cell contents in a jamjar with a thermometer (as before) as you cannot see the thermometer at all.
The four samples in the picture below do not tell the whole story as they are being taken from the cell without vigourisly stirring the cell. If I stirred the cell, the last three samples woud be much darker, especially the last one. The first sample would be similar to what you see as there was no black sediment on the bottom of the cell at that time.
Samples are from 9th, 12th, 13th and 15th (February).
The anode has eroded more in the last two days (14th and 15th) than it has in the previous 20. It eroded more in the previous two days prior to 14th and 15th (ie. 13th and 12th) that it eroded in the previous 18.
I think Perchlorate is about to start forming as I can see a greenish efflorescence that you get when there are tiny amounts of Perchlorate when using Methylene blue to detect it. Could be wrong though.
The cell has entered a different 'mode' as I have the acid turned off for the last four days and the pH is staying at 6.7 approx. Temperature is still in the region of 20C.

Dann2

[Edited on 16-2-2009 by dann2]

erosion_15.jpg - 46kB

Swede - 16-2-2009 at 05:45

Interesting if somewhat unfortunate results, Dann2. What I find intriguing is the fact that the system stabilized at pH 6.7 with no further acid additions needed. As you say, it entered a new phase of chemistry whereby the graphite began to erode at a rapid rate, and the pH did not climb.

What do you think the chlorate concentration would have been if you'd pulled the plug before the graphite began to erode?

I think the answer to the graphite cell conundrum is to either be satisfied with stopping the process at a higher chloride concentration, or, if you don't mind replacing anodes, investing in or working on an effective and large vacuum filtration system that would truly clean the dirty liquor.

dann2 - 16-2-2009 at 13:49

Hello Swede,

I have taken a sample from the cell every two days or so. All will be reveiled when I titrate them. The Anode erosion was expected when Chloride got low. I don't expect large CE since the cell was so cold. Next run will be at approx. 40C, I will insulate the cell and hopefully it will heat up to about this Temp.
No Perchlorate yet. I will pull the plug on the cell as soon as it starts forming......if the anode lasts that long.

I think that it will be easy to get rid of the black stuff. Boil the liquid to get rid of dissolved gases and then let the whole lot settle for a few days and decant off the (hopefully clear) liquid. I found before that if you do not boil the liquid that the gases are inclined to keep the solution agitated as they appear out of the solution over a period of days.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 16-2-2009 at 14:12

I suspect the erosion of the graphite may be self-catalysing and that the more of the erosion product is in suspension, the greater is the erosion rate encountered.

Has any erosion rate comparison been done for a pumped electrolyte where the eroded graphite is filtered out of the electrolyte continuously?

I also suspect that when the pH stabilized may mark the
effective practical endpoint as Swede alluded to above.

[Edited on 16-2-2009 by Rosco Bodine]

dann2 - 20-2-2009 at 18:42

Hello Folks,

Aqua_Fortis 100% sent me a patent showing how Graphite could be treated with Iron (IRON, FFS :D) .
I pasted it here as there is some info. regarding cell voltages in relation to Chloride concentration. I though this might interest yourself Swede if you were trying to link cell voltage with Chloride concentration. The cell voltage does not change very much according to the patent and it would be very temperature dependent. Connections would have to be very very good too.

For example, during a comparative experiment employing a normal chlorate graphite electrode with an iron impregnated chlorate graphite electrode, as the concentration of NaCl decreased from about 250 grams per liter to about 150 grams per liter, the cell voltage increased from about 3.25 volts to 3.6 volts with the normal graphite while with iron impregnated graphite, the increase in cell voltage was from about 3.15 to 3.35 volts

Anyhow my Na Chlorate cell registered Perchlorate with a Methylene blue test and I turned it off. That was a few days ago. Still have to titrate contents of samples. I think the Chloride concentration was quite low before the Perchlorate appeared. The anode was eroding at an unacceptable rate.
It eroded more in the last day of operation that in the previous 22 days of operation!

I cranked up a KCl cell using the same anode. I scraped and scrubbed all the loose Graphite off the Anode so it was like new Graphite. Some pictures below. You can see the clean Chlorate but that is only on day three. It will get slightly blacker as the days go by, but not much. I do not intend to run the cell to the Perchlorate point.
The lesson with a Graphite anode is: Controll the pH. In our case this really means adding acid at a certain rate and keeping an eye on pH.
The Chlorate is gathering on the Anode alot. Perhaps I am geting too much 'Anodic Chlorate formation' at the low temperatrue (20C) that the cell is running at.
When starting the cell I measure the pH of the Chloride solution, it was 6.4.
I added 3cc 12% HCl before current was started to give the acid a bit of a head start. This seems necessary from my experince with the Na cell. I also turned acid on at the normal rate. After some hours there was a stink coming from the cell and on measuring the pH it was 0.30.!! Turned off acid for 5 hours and pH was then mearured at 7.6. I decided to add acid to take pH to 6.8 and I had to add 20ml acid (quite a lot) to get pH to 6.8. There seems to be some buffering going on. A very unruley cell!!!!!!!!
The pH stayed at normal value with normal acid addition from then onwards.
It would appear that it is not a good idea to add acid at the start. Just start pump and leave alone.
Dann2

KCl.jpg - 71kB

dann2 - 24-2-2009 at 16:50

Hello,

Some results of Na, pH controlled Graphite anode cell below.
<table border><tr><th colspan=2> Graphite Anode with pH control @35mA/cm<sup>2</sup> @ 20C</tr>
<tr><td>From Days</td><td>% CE</td></tr>
<tr><td>0 to 1</td><td>16</tr>
<tr><td>1 to 2</td><td>36</tr>
<tr><td>2 to 4</td><td>30</tr>
<tr><td>4 to 6</td><td>38</tr>
<tr><td>6 to 9</td><td>41</tr>
<tr><td>9 to 11</td><td>37</tr>
<tr><td>11 to 14</td><td>36</tr>
<tr><td>14 to 18</td><td>33</tr>
<tr><td>18 to 20</td><td>19</tr>
<tr><td>20 to 23</td><td>19</tr>
</table>

The cell was approx. 2.2 liters with 5 amps (varied a bit) going into cell.
The solution was clear up to day 7, (approx. 150 g/l Chlorate).
Very very little actual Graphite in the solution and not at all visable when a light was put behind the cell.
At day 17 (approx. 500 g/l Chlorate) the solution was starting to get black but still very little actual Graphite in the solution. No black visable when light put behind a jar of solution.
There was little or no visable erosion on the anode at day 19 (520 g/l Chlorate) but the solution was gettng very black at this stage with a light unable to shine through it.
At day 20/21 (550 g/l Chlorate) Anode erosion started to become severe with the deterioration of the anode visable.
At day the end of day 23 Perchlorate appeared. At this point the Chloride concentration was 25 grams per liter calculated from the fact that the starting solution was 334 g/l Chloride and the Chlorate concentration was now 581g/l.

The CE is pathetic.
Anode erosion is good.
More heat needed I guess/hope.
Currently running a KCl cell as shown above in a pic. I will just weigh the product in a few days and get overall CE. There
will be no titrating.
Next NaCl will be insulated to take temp. up to 40C or so.

Acid into cell was 1.8ml per hour for first two days.
Then decreasing to 0.6 over the next 4 days and left in that region untill stopped.
Sometimes I addes some acid manually if I though pH was getting away. Sometimes I turned acid off for some hours
if pH seemed to drift low. Not very scientific!
Acid was stopped on day 18.

Dann2

dann2 - 26-2-2009 at 05:40

Hello,

Ran the pH controlled K Chlorate cell for 7 days and pulled the plug.
The K Chlorate sticks to the Anode somewhat but it does not seem to be a big problem. Acid addtions seem to be less that an Na cell as I was able to turn off the acid for the last day and a half. Very low acid addition on day 5/6.
Cell was more or less the same as the Na cell above. 20C, 4.5 amps into cell (similar CD).

Extracted the Chlorate by cooling solution and running through a cloth. Most of the black (there was some) stayed with the water leaving the Chlorate fairly clean. You could probably use the Chlorate as it is, though it is off white. In practice you would probably recrystallize to get rid of any Chloride and clean the Chlorate up in the process.
Test for Perchlorate, there was none.

The pH controlled Graphite Anode cell is not in the same league of cleanlyness as an MMO cell but it is not far off! There seems to be more black stuff compared to the Na Cell (at day 7) but that may be because the Anode was used before. There is a picture above of Chlorate sticking to anode. When the Anode was placed back into the cell all this fell off and seemed to take a layer of Graphite with it. There is not much erosioin product though (few grams at most) and whatever was there settled to the bottom of the mother liquor and left a 100% clear solution (for recycling after decanting).

Total weight of product extracted was 422 grams. 842 amper hours into cell gives a current efficiency of (drumm roll) 66%. At least it's better that the Na cell.

I cranked up another Na cell. I insulated (wrapped in swaddling cloths) the cell using tinfoil and fiberglass + polystyrene board underneath. The temperature went to 50C (a bit too high, but I am going to run it at that ). Current is higher because cell is at a lower resistance because of the heat I guess.

Dann2

[Edited on 26-2-2009 by dann2]

finish.jpg - 36kB

Swede - 26-2-2009 at 12:42

Some excellent postings, Dann2. I'm surprised the efficiency of the potassium cell was better than the one starting with sodium salts. Have you tried recrystallizing a portion of that chlorate? I wonder how difficult it would be to get the graphite coloration out of the crystals. You'd probably need to hot-filter the near boiling liquor through a fairly tight filter (assisted by vacuum) to get rid of those microscopic particles, and as you mentioned, it's probably not necessary for compositions using chlorate.

I'm hoping that collected data can in fact help determine the cell constituents despite what that patent says. When they say "fairly constant" voltage, I wonder what their definition of that is? With a constant current supply, I've seen the voltage consistently follow a predictable path, but you are right, it IS temperature dependent, and it is also quite dependent upon the level of the liquor, especially if your electrode surface areas decrease as the level drops. For the sake of consistency, some sort of top-off arrangement is a must; OR, engineer the system in such a way that the electrodes are deep enough so that liquor level changes have a minimal overall impact.

dann2 - 26-2-2009 at 15:08

Hello Swede,

I will see if Chlorate will clean up. I think it will clean up OK by filtering.
The black stuff that is in a Graphite Anode cell that has not been let run and run seems to be more easy to get out of the liquor that in a cell where a large amount of(Graphite) Anode erosion has been allowed to take place.
The Na cell (large amount of Anode erosion) liquor is still sitting in a glass container but the liquor has still got a deep black/oragne colour to it. There is also some very very fine Graphite on the bottom of the container which stirres up very very easily. I will be very difficult to clean it up unlike the Graphite (small amount) that is in the K cell where the small amount of Graphite seems to have a larger particle size and falls to the bottom of the liquid. This liquid can be decanted off or (IMO) will filter fairly easily. There is some Graphite trapped in the solid K Chlorate but (IMO) it has a fairly large particle size and will filter out unlike the black discoleration in a cell that has had far far too much Graphite Anode erosion (Na cell in my case).
In a cell that has had large amounts of Graphite erosion, it is as if the Graphite is 'dissolved' in the liquid. Perhaps some compound forms?
[A rather long winded explanation of what I am trying to say...........]

About the voltage accross the cells, it may also be Anode age dependent. As a (say Graphite) anode ages it gets pitted and has in effect more surface area giving different Voltages. Same may even apply to Cathode. Sometimes deposits build up on the electrodes which may not help either. May not make much difference though.

About the liquid level dropping and changing the Anode and Cathode surface area. If you are using a Ti runner down to an MMO anode then the Anode will be effectively below water level all the time so long as you have the runner long enough (MMO one inch (say) below surface). The runner will not conduct to the solution as it will be Anodized with TiO2. The problem occurs with the Cathode. You could cover the runners/Cathodes down to the Cathodes with plastic tubing so that they are covered a half inch (say) above and below the nominal level of the cell. The cell volume can then change up or down a half inch without the electrodes 'seeing' the change in level. The same applies to Anode that have not got runners going down to them. Since you will be using MMO Anodes I guess this does not apply.

I also wonder if you could or should put a heater and controller into cell to keep temperature steady. Perhaps keeping it cool may be more of a problem.
If the cell was force heated to (say) 70C with a controller it can be held steady at that point. If you have constant temperature for a few runs and collect data then you could perhaps later factor in the changing temperature stuff.

The data collection stuff on a cell was always something I wanted to do (and others) but was too lazy and miserable (not willing to spend $$) to get around to it. The stuff you purchased (apcForums) is definitely the biz.
Measuring density of solution might give useful data. Not too easy to do with a computer I guess. Dissolved gases may make it useless data though.
I wonder will you see a small Voltage variation each time your pump puts in a quantity of acid..........

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Dann2

Swede - 27-2-2009 at 07:39

Quote:
About the liquid level dropping and changing the Anode and Cathode surface area. If you are using a Ti runner down to an MMO anode then the Anode will be effectively below water level all the time so long as you have the runner long enough (MMO one inch (say) below surface). The runner will not conduct to the solution as it will be Anodized with TiO2. The problem occurs with the Cathode. You could cover the runners/Cathodes down to the Cathodes with plastic tubing so that they are covered a half inch (say) above and below the nominal level of the cell. The cell volume can then change up or down a half inch without the electrodes 'seeing' the change in level. The same applies to Anode that have not got runners going down to them. Since you will be using MMO Anodes I guess this does not apply.

Good info and a nice idea. There are a few sources for PTFE heat shrink tubing I've been wanting to tap for some time now, and that would be a good use for them.

I've often thought too about measuring specific gravity of the liquor and seeing if it varies enough during the run to provide useful data. Again, a temperature-dependent measurement, and you'd probably need some VERY sensitive hydrometers or some other method, such as a volumetric flask and a good scale.

I suspect on a streaming chart of cell voltage that you would in fact see a nice "blip" in the downward direction as the acid is injected. Then, the voltage would creep back up to "normal" as the acid is spent in neutralizing whatever species it does.

I'm hard at work on transducers and signal conditioners. It's been a bit trickier than I thought it would, but nothing insurmountable. When the smoke clears, I should have transducers for cell voltage, current, temperature (PT100 RTD for good accuracy, or type K thermocouple), and possibly pH. THAT will be the tough one, requiring clean amplification and filtering to prevent noise from making a hash of it.

We've discussed pH electrodes before in the context of continuous immersion in a chlorate cell (my hypothesis: it will be fatally poisoned in a matter of hours) but it'd be worth a cheap pH electrode or two to see if it does in fact die a quick death.

That lead dioxide anode I made, the good one, is still sitting in its ziploc bag, awaiting testing! I need to finish up the data thing first, then more LD and other anode fun. Question: Do you guys think my LD plating solution will store well? Everything I've read says "no." :(

densest - 27-2-2009 at 18:20

Would an ISFET electrode stand up any better than a glass/AgCl one? Or would it be another more expensive sacrifice to the gods?

I'd be leery of putting an electrode into an active electrolytic cell - unless the pH meter was totally isolated from the electrolysis supply, I'd bet on some current flowing through the pH system and probably giving erroneous readings. At worst, it could destroy the electrode and possibly the meter.

If you had a pump or other means of taking more-or-less continuous samples which were not electrically connected to the main bath it might be safer. I would be sure that there was not a continuous path through liquid by (for example) dripping the sample into a beaker and siphoning it out in drips to be sure that the flow was broken.

Swede - 1-3-2009 at 08:05

I think you are correct in all your assumptions; a pH probe immersed in an active cell would not only be chemically poisoned, it would be blown out of the water by stray trons from the process itself. Having messed with pumps and potassium salts, I'll not be trying that again anytime soon, although a sodium system would be fine. Tap the cell, have a cheap pump trickle the liquor through a section of PVC which carries the pH probe, and make your measurements.

On the data acquisition front - coming along. I've got a module made up for amplifying a 0 to 100 mV shunt signal to 0 to 5VDC, using an AD626 differential amplifier, so if the hall-effect units don't work out, I can give that one a try. Next in line - plain old cell voltage.

y2kbugger - 1-3-2009 at 17:46

wow, i am glad to be back here, my login creds got mixed up for a while and i was just able to recover them...

anyway, about anodes, both of my cells that super cheap mmo held up just as it did for swede. i did get a pretty nice yield from one that i stopped early. and the next one is still running. i tried drying it in an oven, but i guess it was finished dryin because i tried to ball mill it with a rock tumbler, but it just made super hard pea sized rocks, some really stragly shape with craters, other just round.

in my second cell i have 9x2 in anodes, both that cheap mmo, running at 14A, compared to my 1.5 by 3.5 @ 12 amps. could the effcientcy change much from that current density. it seems to be working slower than my first run.

the other differences are that i have a little less saturated solution than last time, and also my electrodes are closer together, so the resistence is only .25 ohms compared to .6. it runs cooler because of the less wattage, but i may not have enuf voltage, IDK

first cell: 6.3v @ 12A
new cell: 3.5v @ 14A (closer electrodes with more area, seems slower)

those are the best numbers i could remember, my log book is not with me at this moment

densest - 2-3-2009 at 06:56

This may be old and well known, so forgive me if this is redundant.

There is a way to use the audio ADC built into most PCs as a data collection input. Normally this is difficult because (1) the input is AC coupled and (2) the gain is arbitrary. To get around this, chop the input and multiplex it with a reference signal. This gives a waveform which can be analyzed at one's leisure.

If anyone is interested I'll post a schematic for such a beast. It isn't very complex and should be cheaper than a dedicated ADC board.

tentacles - 2-3-2009 at 09:55

I'm not so sure the current in the cell would necessarily affect the pH probe - the only way to be sure is of course, to try it.. Which I can't do at the moment - our place is next up for new carpet so I can't setup the cell until I know when that's going to happen - I'm going to need that storage space it'll take up pretty soon. At any rate, my reasoning for believing there won't be any effect on the probes is because they work fine in saltwater aquariums - I've seen as much as 12V potential in those, either from pumps/devices in the water, or the chemistry of the tank generating voltage. Always had a titanium grounding probe in mine. It's surprising to reach into your tank (while grounded) and get a nasty shock!

densest - 2-3-2009 at 12:21

Re tentacles: A static potential probably wouldn't be a problem - the input impedance of the meter is high so as long as the electrode can float to the same voltage no current will flow. There's no active electrolysis so the redox potential of the solution is close to 0. In a chlorate cell there's active current passing so an electrode will have a potential gradient across it. That generates a redox gradient which could cause dramatic chemical activity. In either case, if a path exists from the electrode to the power supply connected to the tank and the input impedance of the meter is not high enough (especially through the shield/ground or reference connection), current will flow through the electrode and cause reactions there.

A battery powered pH meter with a very small radius electrode would probably work in an electrolytic cell for a while, perhaps a long while. It probably would last longer if it was well out of the way of the main current flow. Even so, I don't know how well an Ag/AgCl electrode does with chlorate ions (haven't looked it up yet, sorry) or how long epoxy encapsulation would hold up in warm acidic chlorate solution (I know this will eventually destroy it - again, it might take long enough not to matter). The glass part of an electrode would probably be OK.

Anyway, all that is why I'd put my pH probe in a side loop which had very little current passing through it i.e. voltage drop across the loop is close to 0 and either very well isolated from the equipment ground or with a (sacrificial?) electrode connected to the equipment ground near the probes. And I'd try to draw the fluid from a place where the electron flow and ion flow mostly canceled each other.

I have to pay for my electrodes, so I baby them ;). An old electrode has a good probability of either being unstable or not working at all so getting used ones is a game of chance.

Swede - 3-3-2009 at 08:24

Quote:
Originally posted by densest

I have to pay for my electrodes, so I baby them ;). An old electrode has a good probability of either being unstable or not working at all so getting used ones is a game of chance.

This is definitely a problem. I refuse to buy used or even new old stock electrodes from eBay, because if they were not properly stored, they may be worthless, and I think it's more likely they are than not. New electrodes of a decent quality are expensive. The only one we found that was guaranteed NOT to be vulnerable was over $900!! At a minumum, I'd go with double-junction, and the body needs to be glass or a compatible plastic. Epoxy in a chlorate cell will not last long, I'm afraid.

watson.fawkes - 3-3-2009 at 08:32

Quote:
Originally posted by densest
Anyway, all that is why I'd put my pH probe in a side loop which had very little current passing through it i.e. voltage drop across the loop is close to 0 and either very well isolated from the equipment ground or with a (sacrificial?) electrode connected to the equipment ground near the probes.
As long as your circuit is electrically isolated, its internal potential will float to eliminate current flow. The simplest way (although not the cheapest) is to use an isolation transformer and pay attention to isolating the "ground", here an only-local ground, on the pH meter side. Sometimes the power supply transformer provides isolation, sometimes not because two legs of the transformer are "case-grounded" in anticipation of an ordinary safety ground application.

In every case, though, there's the need to maintain a strictly isolated ground. In practice, that means plenty of insulation and no exposed metal parts (which would require safety grounding, negating the whole point).

pH controlled Graphite cell contents

dann2 - 3-3-2009 at 15:57

Hello,

Took some photo's of the end products of two Graphite Anode cell runs.
The yellow liquid is from the Na Chlorate run. All the Graphite EVENTUALLY settles out leaving a yellow
liquid. In times gone by, there has been many a discussion as to what the yellow may be. Perhaps this explains
it, perhaps not. You don't seem to get any yellow if you do not run the cell untill the Graphite starts to erode at
an unacceptable rate.

I recrystalized the K Chlorate from the next run. It cleans up OK. The mother liquor as shown too. All the Graphite
settles out OK (no yellow). A few grams of K Chlorate needles appeared too. I filtered all Graphite from the K
Chlorate cell and weighted. It came to a (very small) 1.9 grams for the 422grams Chlorate made, which is very
low. There would still be Graphite in the solid Chlorate but it would only be milligrams.
It is a pitb to process K Chlorate that has been made using Graphite. If making K Chlorate use the Na salt
and convert after solution has been filtered. (as many here have said).
If you are happy with somewhat discolored product than it is fesible to go straight with the Graphite I guess in a pH controlled cell that is.

Dann2

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by dann2]

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by dann2]

ends.jpg - 51kB

Swede - 4-3-2009 at 06:25

Nice pics, Dann2. I'm assuming the second pic is chlorate, not chloride... looks like a typo. I think you've shown that decent graphite anodes can make all the chlorate you'd ever need for either pyrotechnic use, or as feedstock. It's odd, with all the chlorate I've made in the last few months, I've always gotten the plate crystal form, never the needle. Even when a solution is slowly cooled, or the conditions are otherwise primed for that form, it never seems to happen. On the contrary, I always end up with pretty massive plate crystals shaped like your second picture.

This was from the 4.4 kg T-Cell harvest, where there was a distinct upper layer, and a much more compact lower layer. I finally figured out what caused this... the lower layer formed while the cell was hot, and actively producing. It was very firm and compacted, and required hammering to break up. The upper layer formed when I pulled the plug, took the rig outside, and cooled the remaining liquor, producing a crystalline fallout.

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by Swede]

dann2 - 4-3-2009 at 13:12

Hello Swede,

Thanks for that, I edited the picture.
The needles (there are only a few grams) formed when I left the filtered cell contents for a few days for the black stuff to settle. The cell liquor was cooled to approx. zero before I filtered out the main crop of K Chlorate. It took the needles a day or two to form in the liquor. The liquor would actually have warmed up to about 10C or so and they still formed. Seems strange. Very slow growth at lowish temperature gives needles I presume. There is always a time element to getting solute out of solvent. You must wait a certain amount of time at a certain temperature if you want absolutely ALL the solute to come out at that temperature (I think!). Dynamics versus the figures you see in tables/graphs. The figures you see in tables/graphs are gotton by letting a solution stabalize for quite long periods of time with the temperature fixed.

About the pH probe and interference from the cell currents/voltages.
I put my hand held, battery powered, pH probe into the Na cell (see picture of cell electodes up the thread) today with the current running. With the probe at an inch and a half from the back of the flat Cathodes (remember the flat cathodes have a covering of plastic on the back) the pH probe read the correct pH value. When the probe was put closer to the Cathodes errors began to creep in. Closeer to the bare wire Cathodes the probre was reading approx. one digit too low (6 instead of 7). As the probe was moved closer to Anode the error went to 2 digits.
Your probe shoud be OK if it has a shield around it and is kept 2 inches or so from the Cathode back (You could put a covering on back of Cathode too I guess).
A metal shield around the probe would be best IMO. Sounds like a job for Ti or Graphite, indeed.

Needing to take a hammer to a crop of KClO<small>4</small> is definitely a problem associated with success!

Hope to get around to setting up a pH controlled cell using Gouging rods (a blast from the past for me) and see how they do. One Gouging rod should make KG's of Chlorate if erosion rates are anyway similar to EDM stuff.

Dann2

Dann2

y2kbugger - 5-3-2009 at 18:33

I have a big clue about how to get beautiful crystals the whole way through, much nicer to work with.

My first cell was always running very hot at the top and cold at the bottom because of short anodes, thus little/no convection.
I saw this as undesirable and built my second cell with a deep anode, and I got a warm cell all the way through instead of hot and cool. I saw this a success until I realized I was making a rock of chlorate instead of a snow-like batch of crystals.

I find the looses crystal much more desirable to work with, so I am going to rework my first cell that had short anodes (because it leaked gas and got corroded) and use that one. I believe temperature delta makes it precipitate in the middle of the cell.

What do you guys think? Swede, if you raised up your anode to limit convection perhaps you could get a whole batch of flowing white gold.

[Edited on 5-3-2009 by y2kbugger]

pyro6314 - 6-3-2009 at 17:07

Im following in dann2's footsteps with the poor mans MMO until my cheap Ebay MMO comes in the slow Canadian postal system.

Since Im not pH monitoring or controlling, I understand that all the Chlorate made will be by the 9e- process opposed to the bulk reaction. Since this is the case, temperature wont matter too much will it? Unfortunately the only place I could run this cell without (too much) complaint of the Chlorine smell was the back step where the cell has settled at about 0*C.
Since Im not monitoring/recording/calculating anything, I have no clue when it will be close to complete. Any suggestions on when to pull the plug on a ~2.75L cell of saturated NaCl running at ~0.8A and 3.8-4.5V (It appears to be climbing at the limited current) It has been running for approx 27hours.

@ Swede, I hope you have Cold Junction Compensation for your K Thermocouple you are trying to read. And as to our short conversation on pH electrode poisoning; apparently if you have a liquid filled electrode that is Ag/AgCl, you can safely use it with KCl04 if you substitute the solution in the electrode for NaCl or LiCl opposed to KCl. Apparently with KCl, Perchlorate will have the tendancy to precipitate in the junction clogging it (poinsoning). Im still waiting for a reply back to my email requesting more information from the author.

Edit: Bottom left of first picture you can see the fan I removed from the supply that was seized, melted and causing a god awful 60Hz buzz that vibrated the whole unit. Cheapo replacment in the works...

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by pyro6314]

[Edited on 6-3-2009 by pyro6314]

dann2 - 6-3-2009 at 23:02

Hello Pyro6314,

Is there a plug on the back of that thing so that you could plug it in a warm it up!!!!!!!!
I like the handle. All the cells I have ever seen they have never had a handle. I guess it has just become a 'must have'.
That cell is going to take a loooooooooong time to finish. The current is very low.
You have approx 15.5 moles Chloride total in cell (900 grams). You will convert approx. 10.5 moles of this to Chlorate. That will take 6 * 10.5 moles electrons which is 6 * 26.8 * 10.5 = 1688 amper hours (100% CE). You have 0.8 ampes going into cell. It will take 1688/0.8 = 2110 hours to finish cell at 100% CE. Thats 88 days. At 50% CE is will take alot more , 176 days to be precise.
Look on the bright side. At least it will be summer time when it finishes.
Put in more amps.
My understanding is that the temperature matters little when you are going the '9 electrons' route (CE 66.66%).
I once knew a guy who did a similar thing out the back in a freezing shed. He got approx. 50% CE in a cold electrolyte (call it the 12 electron route). His gouging rods lasted well too.

BTW:
The table above in my post of 25 Feb showing CE for the pH controlled Na cell is totally wrong. I was having a bad day (another one!) when I calculated that table. I have not got a clue how I managed to come up with the figures in it. I think I forgot to multiply by the amount of liters (2.2) that were in the cell. Will look into it.

The overall CE was 77.7%. Total Chlorate produced was 1278 grams, total amper hours into cell was 2484.
This is similarish to the CE of the next cell I ran (KCl with pH controll, 66% CE) .
The other figures are correct. :)

Dann2

Swede - 7-3-2009 at 07:13

Pyro6314, that power supply MUST be capable of more than 800 mA! May I ask why you are running it so gently? Is it to try and keep erosion down on the anodes? On that coffee-pot cell, just looking at the size of both the liquor and the electrodes, I'd guess 5 to 10A would be more appropriate.

I know you are working with sodium salts. Dann2 explained the efficiency thing fairly well. For potassium salts, some time ago, I simplified the equations as much as it was possible to do, and came up with this:

For Potassium Chlorate Production:

W = Weight of yield, in grams
E = Efficiency
AH = Ampere-Hours used

E = (131.32 * W) / AH

For Potassium Perchlorate Production

E = (38.42 * W) / AH

Note that these are "retroactive" equations, meaning you weigh your product, and if you've tracked the AH, you can determine your efficiency. For predictive, IIRC it requires 161 AH per mole Chloride --> Chlorate at 100%. Note that's mole of CHLORIDE ion, not the entire salt, and if you assume 50 to 60% efficiency, you can come pretty closely as to when it is time to yank the plug.

CJC: That little chip has it onboard! It's a wonderful device, essentially a thermocouple meter on a chip. All you need is a good power source and a few supporting components. But when the smoke clears, I doubt I'll be using it, as I'm headed towards a suite of isolated signal conditioning modules, gathered slowly off eBay and other sources. One of them is a PT100 RTD unit that will be more accurate for this sort of thing:

pH: I would LOVE a true pH controller setup, but the calculated dosing technique works very well. It's pretty cool when we have data like "A chlorate manufacturer consumes X pounds of HCl per ton of product" and when scaled down, it does in fact keep the pH very near neutral or slightly acidic. Given the problems of continuous immersion, I doubt I will do anything more than an occasional sample dip with an immediate rinse to keep the precious pH probe healthy. Once the cell is producing, and the acid is periodically added, it seems remarkably stable; I don't remember anything worse than +/- 0.6 swings once it settled down. It seems that the initial startup requires more acid per unit of time than later on, when the bulk process is hopefully taking place. But with no acid - I remember seeing 9 or 10 pH within a few hours of startup.

pyro6314 - 7-3-2009 at 09:47

My graphite electrodes are hopelessly small. Only about 17.1cm2 of anode area in the solution so around 0.7A I figured was ideal to keep about 41mA/cm2 keeping anode erosion at a minimum. Plus at the cells resistance, the current draw topped out at about 1A with 4.3 ish Volts. I'm going away for the weekend so I am going to crank it up to about 5A and leave it. (Probably risky but its outside) I wrapped some old clothing around the pot hoping to insulate it and retain some heat but there is barely any heat running at the small current and the reasonably wide electrode spacing.

Current control is terribly sensitive with a approx 270deg pot divided for 90A. Just touch it for a couple amps. Programming ports on the back will facilitate more accurate control with a resistor bank and pot. Only 100 Ohms full range to control current.

Im looking for a dosing pump/pH controller at present. A Hanna model will do nicely and the combo unit has a provision for manual pump control if you dont use the pH electrode and auto control.

I dont care about my electrodes so Im going to push them hard. If they disintigrate while I'm gone, so be it. :)

Edit: With two Graphite electrodes, what would an AC current do?

[Edited on 7-3-2009 by pyro6314]

[Edited on 7-3-2009 by pyro6314]

dann2 - 8-3-2009 at 10:05

Hello,
An AC afaik does not help. It has been used (making Calcium Chlorate) to keep insoluble hydroxide from building up on one electrode but the 'AC' was more like DC that was reversed every 10 minutes or so.
You would be better off using both rods as anodes and getting yourself some steel wire (or stainless steel) for Cathodes and increasing current.
Put a resistor (piece of Nicrome wire) going to cell to give yourself smoother current control with pot.

Regarding the CE that I reported for my first pH controlled Na Chlorate cell above ran at 20&degC. When calculating CE I forgot to take into consideration of the cell volume. I used Chlorate increase of grams per liter instead of grams increase in the cell.
All CE figures need to be multiplyed by 2.2 (2.2 liters in cell). This now gives very high CE's, up to 90%CE in the middle of the run.
I have just pulled the plug on my latest pH controlled cell ran at approx. 50&degC. Graphite erosion looks similar to cell ran at 20&degC. Looks like low Chloride concentration and high pH are the real Anode murderers. (I was blaming the Butler before this!).

About pH probes in Chlorate cell. The Chlorate manufacturers may not keep their probe immerced 27/7. They may dip them in and out and wash. This would be easy enough to for them to do. It may even be done by an operator. They probably have a known continous flow of acid going into cells (like we do) and if pH goes to drift they stop adding or add extra acid. They would have very detailed knowledge of the acid needed for the cells as they are operated in more or less the same region all of the time. No large Chloride/Chlorate concentration variation for years (literally) on end.
We have a harder task pH controlling our cells because of the way we operate them, (going from 330g/l Chloride / zero Chlorate at start to 80g/l Chloride / ~400g/l Chlorate at the end). The pro's have it easy.
The picture below may be workable. It is more work though. You would need a permanent hole in the Chlorate tank which will not be nice if the electrodes are in the same tank, as the horrible spray will drift out. If a two tank cell is constructed then there would be no spray from the (warm) 'chemical Chlorate formation' tank. If the motor was very weak (small stepper motor) you could forget about the micro switch beside the Chlorate tank as the motor is not going to burn out during the fairly short time that a reading is being taken. Motor output would have to turn fairly slow too.

You are then going to have to time your taking of a reading with the probe in the tank and decide how much extra acid to add for each 00.X amount that the pH is above optimum or how long to turn off acid if below optimum.
All easier said than done!!!

Dann2

[Edited on 8-3-2009 by dann2]

ph_pivot.GIF - 5kB

pyro6314 - 10-3-2009 at 19:46

Left my coffee pot 2.75L cell limited at 6V and it will only pull 2.2 A later dropping to 2.0A today. The anode has decreased slightly in diameter. I have salt build up on the top of the electrodes but not much volume drop. Whoever said hotglue wont stand up to the vapors of a Chlorate cell, I have proved you wrong. The glue is still hard and intact. The old sweater used for insulation/snow protection went from black to having a big whitish spot. Since I have no idea of how many electrons have gone into the cell and my guess on how much NaCl was in there is most likely way off, I'm going to run it until my graphite is gone then process the electrolyte. Ignore the PMMO cell...Real (cheap Ebay) MMO is here! Got my new fan the the DC Supply too so that can go back together.

The guy shipped it to Canada for $10US since he cut the length in half. Only one small spot where the coating is wore off (pictured). Anyone have an idea of how to accurately measure/guess the SA of this mesh?

Swede - 11-3-2009 at 12:45

Pyro, your hot glue may hold together at 2 amps, but at 50 or 60 amps, it heats, softens, leaks, and becomes vulnerable to attack by the chlorine and other gasses which pour off the electrodes at those currents. It will also deteriorate over time. That's one of the challenges of this process... what works for some may not work for others, and finding what is consistent between users and runs is the challenge.

You'll like the MMO. It works, there's no doubt, and you'll get a clean product from it. Welding can be a challenge, but there are other ways to attach straps, or you can cut it in such a manner that the material itself forms its own hanger. A good rule of thumb with this style of mesh is SA = 2X standard dimensions. Good luck, enjoy material. I wonder how much of that stuff he has left? I know I bought quite a bit for a rainy day.

Bikemaster - 11-3-2009 at 15:57

I am not sure but i think that my MMO anode give my perchlorate...:mad:

before to make my chlorate cell i read that it is not possible to make perchlorate whit MMO anode but today i read a web page where they were showing the crystal form of potassium chlorate and potassium perchlorate.(http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/EN/analysis_EN.html) the probleme that at least 75% of the crystal of my cell have the rhombic form, wicht is suppose to be perchlorate...

The problem is that i don't realy want tu have perchlorate for my cell because i am limited whit the use. (no HE mix and not snap bag).

Now that i am pready sure that my anode make kclo4, i have some question:

1. How can i limit the prechlorate formation. (for now i have 2 cell running in serie with a 15V 3A power supplier, they run a 20 C, no ph control, MMO anode (from ebay), stainless stell cathode)

2. how can i be pready sure that it is kclo4 (some test if possible)

I have over 2 kg of this stuff but it is dry and in powder so i need to wait for the next batch to see the crystal(saturday night). i am going to take pic of the crystal and show you the form of the crystal.

[Edite le 11-3-2009 par Bikemaster]

[Edite le 11-3-2009 par Bikemaster]

tentacles - 11-3-2009 at 16:21

Going by the shape of the crystals is inconclusive at best, unless you know the purity of the solution and what all is in it. You've got a witch's brew cocktail of various forms of KCl (presumably, since it's crystallizing) KClO, KClO3 and POSSIBLY KClO4.

As to your questions, I think you can find the answer to the second question on dann2's site: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

I don't see any need to answer the first question until you know for a fact you're making unreasonable percentages of perchlorate - which you're undoubtedly NOT doing. While the MMO anodes (various) on ebay MAY make perchlorate if you drive them really hard, I doubt you're doing that with a mere 3A, although the 7.5v/cell is rather a lot. What's your anode/cathode spacing?

Bikemaster - 11-3-2009 at 18:39

The space between the electrode is 5 cm.

i find i way to find the the ratio chlorate /perchlorate but i need a better scale (+- 0,1).

but i am pready sure that i have kclo4, because before to have mmo anode i was working with graphite anode and the product reacte not the same. (the one with the graphite anode were much more unstable and reacte more slowly with atomized alluminium powder).

with chance i have and other anode... can i put an other cell to reduce the voltage??? it will be 5v wicth is pready good.

thank for your reply:D

tentacles - 11-3-2009 at 18:47

Yeah if you have more MMO mesh put another cell in series, and adjust the spacing so you get good current draw through all the cells. It's not the best way to run things, but it will work and it won't cost you any more power than before.

If you want a perchlorate test, go to your local aquarium shop and buy some methylene blue. Make a weak solution of your crystallized product. Like a couple crystals in 10ml in a test tube, or so. Then add a drop of the methylene blue, if you get a blue/purple precipitate, there's perchlorate.

Perchlorate contamination in chlorate shouldn't make it less stable - apparently chlorIDE contamination can, though, at least for pyrotechnic uses. For HE, I have no idea.

Are you running the cells far beyond a reasonable completion time? That could cause perchlorate formation, but I think you'd notice some wear on the MMO material.

watson.fawkes - 11-3-2009 at 19:32

Quote:
Originally posted by tentacles
Yeah if you have more MMO mesh put another cell in series, and adjust the spacing so you get good current draw through all the cells. It's not the best way to run things, but it will work and it won't cost you any more power than before.
Excuse me. How is it not "any more power than before"?

tentacles - 11-3-2009 at 19:40

Because 15v * 3A = 45w regardless of whether you're wasting 5v of it in resistance through the electrolyte, or if you reduce the spacing and add a third cell to utilize that 5v for electrochemistry. The cells will run a bit cooler, but he's not making chlorate in solution anyways. Whether he can get the full 3A across all three cells remains to be seen, but if he gets the spacing pretty close it should work out.

Swede - 12-3-2009 at 04:30

If MMO could make perchlorate in any reasonable concentration, that is what the big plants would be using rather than the expensive platinum foil sheets, with its necessary Pt recovery methods. I have tried MMO to make perchlorate, starting with recrystallized potassium chlorate, more than once now, and it simply does not do it with any real efficiency. The best I was ever able to get was trace, no potassium perchlorate falling out, and the solubility of potassium perchlorate is terrible - if it had been produced in quantity, it would have precipitated.

If you are starting with KCl, the bulk of the product will fall out as crystallized chlorate, and no longer be subject to much further oxidation. Don't worry too much about the crystal shape; I've seen more than one chlorate crystal type, and it is not a reliable method to determine what you have. If you harvest the crystals and give them a good washing during harvest, you should be in the realm of 98%+ chlorate. Recrystallize, and it should be 99%+

Bikemaster - 12-3-2009 at 07:51

Maby the perchlorate was not made by the anode???

If the crystale shape don't really mather, I can suppose that the result of my cell is only kclo3 (+some inpurity).

So the problem can come from the waching phase and the drying phase.

1. filtration: I only filtrate the solution and i roughtly washe the crystal with cold water.(don't make any recrystalisation) (can have some kcl inpurity)

2. drying : I let dry the the filtrate in a oven wicht run at 140C, and i am not sure but can some kclo3 turn to kclo4 at this temperature (can be at this temp for over 6 hour). If yes it made some kclo4 and kcl... after drying i never wash a other time so i can have like 10% of kcl of impurity in total witch is not very good.

before to have mmo (cell with graphite anode), the kclo3 was dry under a light (less heat but longer) and it is when i make this switch that i saw the difference...

Swede - 12-3-2009 at 14:13

Bikemaster, I've thought of another way you can get an idea if you have potassium perchlorate, or chlorate - check the solubility. It won't be exact, but it might give you a rough idea. Potassium perchlorate is soluble at 100 degrees at the rate of 218 grams per liter, while the chlorate is soluble at 570 grams per liter. You could possibly kill two birds with one stone - recrystallize to get rid of the chloride, and see how much water it takes to dissolve your crystals.

I'd be very surprised if even a tiny portion turned into perchlorate at 140 degrees.

Bikemaster - 12-3-2009 at 16:30

Ok I just recrystallize roughtly 100g of my last batche.

First, the recrystallize crystal have no more the shape of the precipate in the cell, the crystal have now the square shape, wicth is kclo3:).

Secondly, I collect the water of the recrystallization and i boiled down all the water, I collect the salt and i dry it. I mix it with sugar and made the same mix with other of my kclo3 wicth i don't have touch. Result, the mix with the collect salt burn twice slowly that the other mix. So i can say that it have a lot of kcl in it... the inpurity is only kcl and maby 1% are 2% of kclo4 but it dont really change the result of the reaction. i think that i just need to wash the crystal better and it will be ok.

I think that i find the reason why it seem more stable... I feel very stupid but the reason it the shape of the flore... i test the stability of my sample by hitting on it with an hammer. but i don't think about i thing, the type of the flore... before i was testing on rought flore and now i test on smooth flore, wicth is more hard to make detonate.

i find that i had max 3% of kcl in my kclo3:D i will only wash them more next time and i think that it will be ok.

thank for helping me:)

tentacles - 12-3-2009 at 19:35

Are you ONLY washing the crystals from the cell, or are you recrystallizing it? I would suggest recrystallizing it at least once if you're going to use the chlorate for any kind of pyrotechnic purpose.

pyro6314 - 12-3-2009 at 19:50

With my current running in my cell so low, only 3.0A @6.0V limited, I decided to put the electrodes closer to try and decrease the resistance....absolutely no difference. I would hazard to guess if I turn up the voltage any more the anode is going to melt off in a big hurry. It already is so I switched polarity. Lol

While I was at it I attempted to filter the graphite out of the glossy pitch black solution (looks like paint) in attempt to reduce erosion...Not going to happen. It clogged my filter paper and majority went through anyways. I did dry out my filter paper and light it :) There must be an appreciable amount of Chlorate in there already. Topped it up and fired it back up.

I don't have the patience for this icky black mess and I would like the satisfaction of crystal precipitation. My next run will be with KCl and my MMO in the same cell. I will leave dann2 to venture into the black sludge mysteries.

@Swede (or anyone), do you have a suggestion for how big of piece of MMO and how to attach it without access to a spot welder or titanium. Doing this sort of thing without facilities or resources is painful. Maybe I could spot weld with booster cables and my supply @ 90A :o

Off topic, I'm curious how fast I can vaporize a large chunk of iron into its oxide electrolytically...

Bikemaster - 13-3-2009 at 06:41

Yes, i think that i need at least one recrystallisation. I go over this step because my cell seem clear of impurity but i don't think about kcl... anyway, make one recrystalisation is not very long and it goning to make much better quality kclo3:D

For you Pyro, i you want to weld something to your mmo anode, you have to think to recoat it, because the spot of titanium will corode it they are in contact with the electrolite. If you want an easy way to hold your anode (if you have mesh anode), use a titanium wire and past it in some of the top hole of your anode. If the titanium wire don't touch to the electrolite, you will never have problem with it.

Swede - 13-3-2009 at 06:52

To spot-weld the eBay MMO requires scraping of the MMO off of the contact points. It is the only MMO I've encountered that requires that. The brand new sheet I bought a while back does not require scraping; I simply spot weld and the weld is a good one. The spot welding points are the junctions in the mesh... trying to spot-weld the MMO wire between junctions results in a melted wire, as it does not have the mass.

I think a good size for a moderate home cell is 2.5" X 5", or 60mm X 120mm. If your power supply is only capable of a few amps, you'd want to go much smaller. Yes, there is a theoretical current density on the anode for chlorate, but honestly I haven't noticed any real issues if I am not close to theoretical.

For the eBay MMO, if you don't have a spot-welder, I'd simply cut it so that it has it's own "strap" and secure the cable through the mesh using a crimped connector, and a SS bolt with two washers, drilling the mesh if necessary so the bolt fits through. You lose a bit of MMO area, but the stuff is cheap enough so that it's no big deal.

I had a PM from a nice guy in Australia who had his eBay MMO cut with a cutoff disk, and he said they now have a POTENT smell that gave him a headache. I found this to be really odd. Any theories? I never noticed anything even when spot welding the material to Ti hangers, but I normally wear a respirator when doing so.

I'm thinking this stuff (the eBay MMO) was USED in some chlor-alkali process. The 90 degree "foot" portion is a slightly different color, and I am thinking the foot was clamped in some sort of valve-metal mounting, and not subject to any electrochemical processes. Overall, these sheets have a brown tint compared to new commercial mesh, which is flat black.

That doesn't change the fact that it makes chlorate like crazy, but perhaps there are some foreign chemicals absorbed or trapped in the coating, or they weren't cleaned thoroughly after being removed from service.

pyro6314 - 13-3-2009 at 10:09

The pieces I have appear to have been cut with a zip disk or grinder as well. Where the heat would have been concentrated, there appears to be an "alkali" looking white oxidation. Inside the white stuff is silvery stuff with some kind of crystal structure. Man I wish I had Swede's microscope. I emailed the Ebay seller and he says he has 25-35 lbs left and can get more anytime. Such an odd thing to have unlimited supplies of ;) I also asked what its previous application was and what the composition of the MMO is and Im awaiting a reply. I will let you guys know.

As for the "POTENT" vapors... kinda hard to say. Some kind of a crazy replacement reaction with the grinding wheel compound or airborne Ti oxides and MMO. Couldn't tell you. Maybe someone will come up with something after we actually know what its composed of.

For making up an anode, I suppose I could cram a big one into my little cell then just run at a lower current density. No harm in that, correct? When I up size then I can use it there as well. Im waiting for the guy to email me back with me Hanna Dosing pump/ pH controller. Awesome deal if I can get it seeing as the they are in the ballpark of $850 USD retail. (Factor the terrible CAN dollar as well)

Edit: @ Would it be a bad idea to increase the voltage past 6V to get more current through with a graphite cell?
Edit2: He doesn't have any info on the mystery MMO.
[Edited on 13-3-2009 by pyro6314]

[Edited on 13-3-2009 by pyro6314]

Swede - 13-3-2009 at 14:02

I bought one of those Hanna dosing pumps, and I think it is a good deal, if it's from the same eBay supplier. The head of the pump is all PTFE, PVDF (even the spring) and glass, and HCl doesn't touch it. The only trick is to set up some sort of a timer. The Hanna pumps come in different volumes per stroke, and I ended up with one that delivers exactly 1ml per stroke. On the slowest speed, it does about 16 strokes per minute, so a 1 minute "ON" from a digital timer delivers 16 ml of HCl. If you can, get the smallest one, unless you have a monster cell; or, if you have a timer that can do less than 1 minute intervals.

I don't think you'd have any problems with a larger anode in a smaller cell. You may lose a little efficiency, but it won't be gross. But given the size of those eBay sheets, why not make a couple of "junior" anodes? I made several, and they are handy for test runs, or if you want to try something like taking the cell to near 0 chloride, or something else that might be harmful to the anode. You're risking less in that case.

One thing to consider - does the pump have a manual override? In other words, does it require a constantly immersed pH probe to function? We've hashed that out I think in some detail, and I don't think a typical probe would survive long in a cell... it would become poisoned, and even a cheap pH probe is pricey. So being able to use the dosing pump as a simple on/off device would be nice, as well as use it as a controller if you want.

[Edited on 13-3-2009 by Swede]

pyro6314 - 13-3-2009 at 14:50

Actually the one I'm looking at is a little different from the one you got. It isn't listed on Ebay right now I just emailed the guy. This one doesn't have a timer, just the pH controller. It does have a manual override so I will just make up a PIC timer to run it at certain intervals. I believe they all do 1mL per stroke its just the timer that varies the amount of strokes. You could probably open your pump up and build a microcontroller timer to eliminate your intermatic/pump timer combo. Even reuse the pot already on there.

Link to the literature-> http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=018002

It has some other nice features that can be used. Analog output for the pH reading, Aux contact that comes on when dosing (mixing?), optional pt100 for temp compensation of pH, level control so cell doesn't over flow, Acid or base control. Appears it can do alot. Hopefully the guy emails me back though, Im not too confident he will.

dann2 - 13-3-2009 at 19:32

Hello Folks,

The latest NaCl cell with pH control, Graphite anode at (approx.) 55&degC finished.
The overall CE was 79%. The end Chloride concentration was 115grams per liter of solution.
Wear on the anode was not too bad. It made the water black but the black settled to the bottom
of the container where the more of the liqued was decanted off. The liquid was clear but has the
yellow colour that seems to always be present with the Graphite anode cells. I had to filter approx.
200ml of black liquiud through the paper filter shown. The Graphite was dried and give a figure of
6.2 grams Graphite per KG Na Chlorate made. This may not be the whole story as some of the
Anode may have gone off as CO2?. I did not weigh the Anode at start (unfortunately).

A total of 200ml of 12% HCl acid was added to the cell.
There does not seem to be a huge advantage in running the cell warm as I did not get a
great increase in CE compared to the cell I ran at 20&degC. It came in at 71% CE and
it was let run untill the Perchlorate point. (low CE at end of 19%).
The 'bucket' type cell design (ie. no design), I guess, has a lot to be disired when you
are controlling pH and have a warm cell.

I have cranked up my old Lead Dioxide Anode (Ti substrate) in a pH controlled cell. It
is going OK for approx. two days. There is alot of the Ti exposed. Funny thing is the Ti
is gassing. The Tin Oxide interface coat must still be there.
This may have been the cause of my low CE in my last (pure) Perchlorate cell using
this Anode. With a large amount of Tin Oxide exposed that would definitely effect CE
as Tin Oxide is a poor Perk. maker. I tried it way back. It just sits there making Oxygen. <br>

Have graph of cell run will post.

Dann2

[Edited on 14-3-2009 by dann2]

grap_fil.jpg - 29kB

dann2 - 15-3-2009 at 14:40

Hello Folks,

See graph below for my second pH controlled Na Chlorate cell using Graphite Anode.
The CE's are weird. I have gotton 100% CE between the last two samples. I have rechecked everything. Times, amps maths. I estimated the amounts of Chlorate in the cel by measuring the amount of Chloride and calculating the amount of Chlorate formed from the fact that the starting concentration of Chloride was 300 grams per liter. I did not believe the titrations/CE results so I titrated the samples again for Chlorate this time. Same result so I am standing behind the (rather crazy looking) figures.
I am sorry now that I did not let the cell go on for longer. I though the Chloride was getting low so I pulled the plug.
I need to get a constant current supply. Varying amps is a pitb.
The acid additions you see in the graph is what went into cell. There was no 'extra' additions like my first cell run.
12% HCl btw.
The Cathode area is small with the backs of the Cathodes covered with plastic. (see picture above somewhere).

I came up with a titration for Chloride. It is (IMHO) the best poor man's Chloride titration (PMCT) ever devised. 2 grams Silver Nitrate will do at least 80 titrations. On average the two grams wil probably do 160 titrations. Will not beat Chloride strips on handyness though. See Chloride Titration for info.

See a whopper of a supply on ebay here.
It's in the UK. Not constant current unfortunately but has a variable pot for varying the 3.3 volts out. How much I don't know. Plenty of amps!

Dann2

[Edited on 15-3-2009 by dann2]

shrunk.gif - 36kB

Bikemaster - 15-3-2009 at 16:00

400 amp:o

anode will never resiste to this, no? if I compare with my anode, i need to put 8 of them in parralele if i dont want to destroye them (50 amp max). But for this price, it is a very low price for that much amp.

I have the project to make a big cell (18 L and with 100 amp) and i was thinking about having a ph controle on this cell. If you can give my some idea, tip and think to buy to make a ph controle.
ps. if i can save the most money, it will be fun.

dann2 - 16-3-2009 at 00:55

Hello Bikemaster,

You do not have to use all of the 400 amps of course. One problem is that the output voltage is a bit low. You would need good heavy cables and great connections so as to minimize all voltage drops. At those currents you are going to have to have heavy cables and good connections anyways!
Two of these in series will give 6.6 volts (+ more with adjustment) which will be lots of Voltage.

Are you going to use MMO Anodes?

Regarding pH control of a cell with 100 amps going into it. From my limited experience of adding acid to cells it takes (forgetting about the start of the cell where you need more acid) approx. 0.134 ml per hour per amp to keeep pH around the 6.8 mark (12%) HCl). At 100 amps thats 13.4cc per hour. If you set up a tube, bottle and a diabetic syringe (with the usual very fine needle) you should be able to drip acid into your system and eliminate the need for a pump. One drop coming from a diabetic syringe is in the region of 0.015ml (I think). That works out at you needing 900 drops per hour, 14.9 drops per minute. Could this be done with a syringe + container + tube?. You can make the rate increase/decrease by putting the acid reservior higher/lower in relation to the needle. You could also dilute the acid more if the drop rate is too high and you cannot get it any lower. You could perhaps pince the needle a wee bit to make it narrower to slow down drop rate.

Does anyone know how a hospital 'drip' works. You can adjust those. How are they adjusted?

Cheers,
Dann2

Bikemaster - 16-3-2009 at 07:11

wow thanks, this setting will cost me pready much nothing:D.

I will use a 2L bottle as a container (100 amp*0.134ml*24h*6day = 1900ml) i have some 1/4 tubing wich can resist to HCL and will finish with and old broken tip pipette (i will reduce the end hole by heating to get the right amount droping per hour (13,4ml).

some question

1.Do the water have the same consistenci that 12% HCl (will be more easy to make my test)?

2.Where do i have to drop my HCl in to the cell? Do they have better places?

3. How can you reduce the amp?with a dimer. But if it is possible, it will be a very good power supply (but better to get 2 because 3.3v it is not a lot)

Swede - 16-3-2009 at 08:31

@Dann2: Beautiful data, well presented and a great analysis. Thanks!

Bikemaster, I think you are confused about current. A simple power supply has two ratings, voltage, and current. Most supplies are fixed voltage. A typical one is 5 VDC. So lets say you have a 5V, 1,000 amp supply, a monster. You hook that up to a toy robot that requires 5V. The supply will not "force" 1,000 amps through the robot. The Robot will function perfectly, and the current will be maybe 1/2 an amp. The 1,000 amp is a RATING, meaning "This supply is capable of delivering 1,000 amps, but only if the connected apparatus will draw it."

Enter ohm's law. If the apparatus has a resistance (all of them do) the RESISTANCE will determine how much current it will draw, according to the following formula:

Current = Voltage divided by Resistance in Ohms, or

I = V/R where I = current. If I hooked a 10 kilohm (10,000 ohm) resistor to the 1,000 amp supply, the current it will draw will be

I = 5 / 10,000 or 0.0005 amps. Not much.

You can manipulate ohms law easily to solve for any of the variables.

A CC (Constant Current) supply is a different beast. Let's say you have a CC supply rated 10V, 100A. You set it up for CC rather than CV, and start your cell. You then dial up 10 amps; the supply calculates the attached load, and determines that 3.6V is what you need, so it delivers 3.6V. Dialing 20 amps, you'd see something like 4.8V. Keep increasing the amperage, and at some point it won't go any higher because you'd be pegged at 10V, the highest voltage it can deliver. If you set 20 amps for a run, you'll see the voltage varying with time as the chemistry of the cell changes. CC supplies are definitely very handy for this process, as you can control heating, and determine CE with ease.

On your cell: If the anode surface is approximately 60mm X 120mm, the cathode the same, and the spacing about 20mm, at 5V you will see that the system will draw maybe 25 to 50 amps, somewhere in that region, depending upon the electrolyte concentration and other factors. For a 50 amp cell, you need HEAVY cables to the electrodes, at least #8, better #6 or #4 copper, or the cables themselves will begin to heat. light cables = bad news; overheating, voltage loss, etc. And the connection to the electrodes needs to be heavy. An alligator clip is a poor choice. A better choice is something like this:

Where I have crimped (you can solder) a heavy Cu lug and bolted it directly to the anode shanks. Look in the electrical section of a big hardware store for stuff like this - terminal blocks, lugs, other good stuff, the type of stuff they use to wire a circuit breaker panel.

A test for an HCl drip with water will come very close. I'd have it drip as far away from the electrodes as possible, and let natural circulation diffuse it throughout your cell.

If I understand your post correctly, you have a 3.3V power supply? If so you are correct, that is a bit on the low side. Power supplies can be used in series with little problem, so two would be 6.6V, a tad high for chlorate, but not bad. I'd NOT use the lamp dimmer - they are designed for 115VAC. not 6.6VDC power. I'd simply open up the spacing between electrodes a bit, make it 50 to 75mm. Do you have an ammeter? If so, fill a beaker with salt solution, power up, and find a spacing that will give you the amperage you desire. A 2L cell is pretty small and will heat rapidly with anything much above 20 amps. You can immerse the bottle in a larger container 3/4 full of water, and position a fan to blow across the water surface, and it will do an effective job to chill the cell. At 10 or 15 amps, it might be OK, but I'd still place the cell in a bucket or something in case of a structural failure - the bucket catches the corrosive liquor.

HTH, good luck, snap a few pics!

Bikemaster - 16-3-2009 at 11:02

I = V/R.... i fell very stupid...

i made over 6 mounth that my cell run and i was not thinking about this...

If follow you, all in these graph is real???
So the the nacl electrolise can give a better yeild because the resistance is always the same?(never precipate) because with the kcl electrosis the resistance increase slowly so we can't put the cell to the max amp possible when we start the cell because the resistance will become to big and the current will no more pass.

thank a lot for those think because it will help a lot;). i was not thinking about the size of the wire too...

no i don't have this power supply (400A 3.3v) it was just a question tu now how to control the number of amp passing in the cell. It was just dann2 that want to but this power supply. In my futur cell, i will have approx 100 amps divided on three 2x6 inchs mmo mesh anode. I will probably use computer psu.

I will take picture of the cell contruction, but i want to get the most info as possible before to make it and do full of error. I will probably seed pic of my homemade ph control in less than one week.

[Edite le 16-3-2009 par Bikemaster]

kcl électrosise.bmp - 1.7MB

dann2 - 16-3-2009 at 14:33

Hello Folks,

@BM
You have the Ohms law the wrong way around in your head!!

V = Volts
I = Current
R = Resistance

V = I * R
I = V/R
R = V/I

Look on the cell as a resistor.
If we increase the Voltage accross the cell the Current gets higher.
Decrease V and I goes down.
You can also say that if you increase/(decrease) Current (I) then V will go up/(down).

Unfortunately the 'resistor' (the cell) we are talking about here does not hold its
resistance value steady. It varies in resistance as temperature, concentration of products, electrode spacing etc change, so that when we connect a power supply that has a CONSTANT
output voltage (most power supplies are like this when used in their normal range) to the cell the Voltage will stay
steady accross cell but the current will decrease/(increase) as the resistance increases/(decreases). The Voltage will stay steady because that is the type of power supply that is connected to the cell, a constant Voltage supply also called a Voltage regulated power supply.

When you have a constant current power supply the output current stays at the amount that you have set at the controlls of the supply and the voltage varies in sympathy with the resistance. That is, the Voltage will increase/(decrease) as the resistance increases/(decreases). The current into cell stays steady. This is the type of power supply we desire for out chlorate cells.
Read up on Ohms law.

To complicate matters further some supplies are a bit of both (Voltage may vary a bit and current will vary a bit). This is what starts to happen if you use a resistor + a constant Voltage supply to power the cell. Lets forget about this further complication for now though.

The Current (I) (going into cell) is the RATE of flow of electrons. One amp flowing for 26.802 hours will move (put into cell) one mole of electrons.
Read up on moles!!
Some info here

About the dimmer. Are you going to put it on the input of the power supply? It would not work as the supply (link way above) would not function on the waveform coming from a dimmer.

@Swede.
There is a link to a large (constant voltage unfortunately) power supply just above graph above that Bikemaster is referring to.

Dann2

[Edited on 16-3-2009 by dann2]

Swede - 16-3-2009 at 14:58

@Dann2, you beat me by moments with that post!

Bikemaster, You've got it backwards a bit - Resistance is the denominator in I = V/R, meaning twice the resistance = 1/2 the current! ;) If you got a better yield than two separate identical systems running at the same time, then something else is at work.

With a (per)chlorate cell there are some fairly simple rules of thumb, and some that are not so simple. With all else being equal, and voltage fixed, and assuming an oversized power supply like our imaginary 5V 1,000 Amp supply...

1) Bigger Electrodes = more amperage
2) Closer spacing = more amperage
3) Higher ionic species concentration = more amperage
4) Heaver cabling and electrode shanks = more amperage, because light cabling causes a voltage loss over a given run, and the longer the cables are, the more loss you have. If you hooked two very long, light wires to your cell and turned it on, then measured the voltage at the electrode shanks, you might measure 4.23. Replace the light wires with short, heavy cables, and repeat, you might measure 4.85. According to I=V/R, if the voltage increases, so does the current. Heavier cabling has less resistance than lighter cabling, and less resistance means more current will flow at a given voltage.

Any time you have heating in your cabling and electrode straps, it's just wasted energy. Barely warm to the touch = good. It's trickier to keep electrode straps cooler because they are usually Ti, and as a conductor, Ti is pretty lame, and heats up, whereas Cu would not.

With potassium salts, as the chlorate falls out, you really don't lose a lot of current, as the liquor is still a wild hash of ionic species like chlorides, chlorate, hypochlorite, and others, and electricity likes aqueous ions... they help current flow. But you do lose some.

It might help you to try some numbers on paper with ohm's law, and do a bit of algebra, and you'll understand the relationship better. You'll get the hang of it. For example, I have no idea of the resistance of my cell at the start, because I have never put an ohmmeter across it, but I can figure it out because I know the other two variables, voltage, and current.

There are three simple variations on ohm's law. We've seen I = V/R. There is also

R=V/I and V = R x I

I set 5 V on my supply and get 45 amps. The resistance is then:

R = V/I

R=5/45

R = 0.111 ohms

If I put two of these cells in series, the resistance would double to 0.22 ohms. Solving for current:

I = V/R
I = 5/0.222
I = 22.5 Amps

Thus the current is cut in half with a fixed 5V supply. Don't get discouraged, the relationship between voltage, resistance, current, and power (watts) can be tricky and confusing.

[Edited on 16-3-2009 by Swede]

Bikemaster - 16-3-2009 at 15:31

oups... all wrong i need to get a good refresh in electric law.

I saw those law 3 year ago and i think that forget some stuff...
For the chemistry part i dont have any probleme... i know what a mole is...

Ok now with the good law: I=V/R

exemple: power supply 15v 3A

I=V/R
3=15/R
3R=15
R=5 ohm
So i need a resistance of 5 ohm to get 3 amp

too much resistance ex:

I=15/30
I=0,5 Amp

smaller resistance ex:

I= 15/2,5
I= 6 amp
but the max amp than we can deliver is 3 amp so it only give 3 amp.

I expect to be to be ok...

i will have have electric and magnetique next session at school so i will be better in electricity:P

last thing, i need a multimetre,do this one can be good??? wach the spec not the color:P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=39001...

i was writing during your post, i don't use 14 gauge wire, i use 22 (speaker cable) and the end these wire have turn to black and the plastic have melt... can be a big lost. i think that i need to get good wire for my next cell.
O wait i have aluminium 6 gauge wire, use for give the energie to a welder, will it be ok.

[Edite le 16-3-2009 par Bikemaster]

dann2 - 16-3-2009 at 15:59

Hello,

Sorry about that Swede!

The 'resistance' of the cell is something you cannot really put a figure on as such. If you have a (purchased) resistor, say 20 ohms, it will stay rock steady at 20 ohms (so long as you do not abuse it) as the current and voltage vary. Double Voltage, will double current. Increase Voltag by 10%, current will increase by 10% etc. The resistor is linear, or at lease we are going to use it in its linear region of operation. This is how you use the vast majority of resistors in electonic circuits.
The cell is a beast. Say at 1.4 volts you measure 0.4 amps accross cell, then the resistance of the cell is 3.5 Ohms.
If you increase the voltage by four you will NOT get four times the current. I don't know what you will get but it will be far far more than four * 0.4. Current might increase by 20 amps!. The resistance of the cell is nonlinear.
Try and obtain a constant Current supply, it simplifys things greatly.
I have been getting around to building the Constant Current module shown below (top left of diagram) but have never actually done it. It would be a gread add on for a computer power supply.

There is another wolloper of a supply on ebay.uk here. May be worht the price it is constant voltage out though.

Dann2

12AX7 Supply.gif - 8kB

dann2 - 16-3-2009 at 16:07

Hello,

The picture above is from 12AX7 (this board) btw.
Attached is some more info if anyone wants to build CC stuff onto Computer power supplies.

@BikeMaster. Remember if you go above the current rating of a constant voltage supply (usual type of supply) you will heat it up and it will cut off or perhaps fail (or worse).
Dann2

Attachment: constant currents.pdf (51kB)
This file has been downloaded 565 times

Swede - 17-3-2009 at 06:58

Dann2 is correct, a cell is a living creature, with toxic waste products and a mind all its own, sometimes, but the basic Ohm's law will take you far and is a powerful tool.

If there is one thing someone setting up a cell should invest in, and spend a lot of time searching for, it is a good power supply. It will save you from more headaches than you'd ever imagine. A fixed supply, or a computer supply, is fine for casual experiments, but if you want production, at a minimum I'd recommend a variable supply capable of at least 25 amps... 50 to 100 is better, and the supply should be variable from 0 to 10 (or more) Volts. Linear or switching, it doesn't matter, and the switching supplies are 1/5 the weight and bulk of a linear... and they are cheaper.

MOST reasonably modern supplies that are variable have CC built into the device. A typical eBay ad would say "CC/CV Operation" which is what we want.

When I first started, I haunted eBay and bought a 100 amp 0-10V supply for $25. Shipping was $75, because it was linear and weighed a ton. A few weeks later, I snagged a 0-10V, 0-60A supply for $75, a switching supply with digital readouts. Sweet deal. They are out there, it simply requires patience. Used supplies like these normally would sell for hundreds of dollars. But the beauty of them is that they can operate a cell that is the size of a 100 ml beaker, OR a giant 10 liter cell running at 60 amps. One good power supply, and you are set.

I always try to operate mine at no more than 75% rated amperage, and one thing to remember, if your shop gets to 35 or 40 degrees C (HOT!) then the supplies must be "derated", meaning they cannot and will not supply their rated power. My linear supply gets fairly hot. I bought a pair of cheap fans and set them up to blow air through the case, which really helps.

Swede - 17-3-2009 at 07:05

I forgot to add, your 6 gauge Al wire will probably be fine, just be sure to abrade (sandpaper) the aluminum at the connection points, and make sure they are TIGHT. Al wire tends to form oxide skins that inhibit current flow at the connection points.

The best cabling I've ever found is Cu welding cable. Try a welding shop... it is sold by the foot. They will have Cu cable from #6 and bigger, and the beauty of welding cable is that the Cu strands are fine; it is very flexible, and the coating is soft rubber, unlike household #4 which is REALLY stiff and coated with inflexible PVC plastic. Well worth pursuing. #4 cable cost me $2 per foot at a local store, and 12 feet is adequate for a large setup.

[Edited on 17-3-2009 by Swede]

dann2 - 18-3-2009 at 17:42

Hello Folks,

A guy asked me some time ago via u2u what to do with a heap of Graphite stubs that he could not use. (Sorry I don't remember who but I rubbed out my u2u's.)
Check out below. You could make a Bipolar Electrode array from them. There is no need to actually connect power to the stubs as the current 'jumps' the gap with each stub being an Anode on one side and a Cathode the other side.
You could just hang the stubs from the lid of the cell with cord that would withstand the Chlorate cell conditions if you though the plastic holder was too much bother to make.
For every 6 grams of Graphite stubs you have one KG of Chlorate. (with pH controll).

You can see stuff about the Bipolar electrode array up this thread at posts around 25 and 26 Oct. 2008

Dann2

LONG LIVE THE PAUPERS MMO

[Edited on 19-3-2009 by dann2]

Bipolar.GIF - 8kB

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  12