Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Lab hot plates in the UK

Drone - 10-1-2006 at 11:17

Has anybody in the UK found a low cost supplier for stirring hot plates?

I have found many sources but the prices seem ridiculous. For example, bottom of the line stirring hotplate (50-300 *C) is £170 ($300), compared to a similar item for half the price in the US.

At these prices I am seriously tempted to buy from the US, but that entails a lot of hassle.

While I am at it, I have yet to find a source for reasonable cost 'Keck' clips in the UK. Any ideas?

evil_lurker - 10-1-2006 at 11:35

Stirring hotplates are $$$ any way you go... overhead stirrers are $$$$.

The cheapest Keck clamps I have found in the US are thru United Glass Tech.. I think they run like $27.50 cents for 10 of them....

They may ship overseas... grab some vacuum grease while your at it.

Lotek_ - 10-1-2006 at 12:02

mmmmm ebay?

neutrino - 10-1-2006 at 14:17

Yes, eBay is about the cheapst source I've seen. One can get a basic plate for $40, one with a stirrer shouldn't be that much more.

DeAdFX - 10-1-2006 at 16:39

If i remember correctly my hotplate stirrer combo was about 70-100ish usd shipped.. It also came with stir bars:D

source was ebay

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by DeAdFX]

Lotek_ - 10-1-2006 at 18:54

i got my 370c hotplate(not stir) for 60$usd. it is an exposed eliment plate but it works really well and fast.

DrP - 11-1-2006 at 03:29

Wont be as cheap as e-bay but there are some componies around that sell second hand lab gear (UK):

Rich-Mond Agencies (I bought a good hotplate-stirrer from these for about £60.00)
www.rich-mond.com
Science exhange (www.science-exchange.com)
Severn Sales
Sarose www.sarose.co.uk

mick - 11-1-2006 at 13:34

A good over head stirrer could be a rechargable drill (sparky). The one I have got also drills holes in masonary and only cost 40 UK pounds. It has also got a clutch mechanism on it. Flexible drive could be a bit of tubing and jubilee clips, with the clutch it should not do too much damage.
The old stirrer hotplates are a lot more sparky that the newer ones with solid state electronics and induction motors. However some of the newer ones can be made to short out with a temperature probe and a low setting on the hot plate. The switching unit melts and the hotplate unit in on full power unless you unplug it or there is a mains switch.

mick