Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Our prolific, multifaceted troll- ban him or not?

Pages:  1  

Bert - 1-12-2014 at 20:19

I am somewhat torn regarding our multifaceted troll-

He IS wasting massive amounts of the time members might spend on actual people with genuine questions.

However, some of the material put out by members in response is brilliant, and well worth reading.

Should we consider him to be analogous to an environmental challenge to the immune system that helps keep the organism healthy, or as a malignant cancer that sapps the organisms energy and should be excised wherever discovered...

Amos - 1-12-2014 at 20:40

I have to say, I(and hopefully some others) can't really say unless we know precisely who it is you're talking about. Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

Bert - 1-12-2014 at 21:00

That could be one incarnation.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=46...

There are at least 5 other nicks behaving in a strikingly similar fashion.

Precious

Chinchilla

Smokeup

AsocialSurvival

TerroristChemist/TiniestChemist

And likely more that I have not noticed, or have not been as blatantly obvious as these.

Then there was this little gem:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=51...

phendrol

ewel

Same critter, or just a meth cook trying to spread his spoon feeding requests across several nicks?

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by Bert]

j_sum1 - 1-12-2014 at 21:22

If I was to throw my thoughts in I would go for a ban.
Granted there have been some brilliant responses but that is more a reflection of the high quality of members here than it is his capacity as an intellectual stimulant.

I for one feel ripped off that I devoted any time to reading and responding to one of his threads when I first joined. I don't mind answering a genuine question. I don't enjoy pissing into the wind.

[edit]
I am not sure why trolling and sock-puppetry is not an instant bannable offence. It is on other boards I frequent.
[/edit]

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by j_sum1]

Brain&Force - 1-12-2014 at 21:40

I vote ban on sight. Just treat him/her like a spammer.

forgottenpassword - 2-12-2014 at 02:24

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
I have to say, I(and hopefully some others) can't really say unless we know precisely who it is you're talking about. Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?
Whether or not Dr. Bob is a real doctor, he does sell some good glassware; and I vote not to ban him! :D

Bert - 2-12-2014 at 06:22

Dr. Bob never called himself ThePhDChemist.

Don't recall him specifying that he holds a Ph.D.

He might be an MD, a D.D. or even Th.D.

forgottenpassword - 2-12-2014 at 06:26

It was a joke. Dr. Doctorate. Big laughing face. A joke. Humour.

Bert - 2-12-2014 at 06:42

Life is serious! For more information, contact your local authorities!!!;)

Amos - 2-12-2014 at 07:05

I don't think we need him banned necessarily; but for just his posts and his alone, they can be reported and detritus'd any time they show anything but seriousness. Or, since we like playing with them sometimes, they could be moved to Whimsy?

Chemosynthesis - 2-12-2014 at 09:29

I would prefer a ban. The quantity of usernames is prolific and the post quality is very poor, despite good conversation afterwards. He should just use one username so people get a feel for who they are helping (contributor, random people, one incessant needy degenerate). Is he also "itsmetheuglykid?"

MrHomeScientist - 2-12-2014 at 10:33

Banning likely will just cause him to return later, as he already has before. That being said, I'm for it as well. Don't delete any threads and the quality replies will remain. j_sum1 is right in that the quality comes from the rest of the members, and this guy is just a distraction.

Brain&Force - 2-12-2014 at 10:55

Bert - forgot to ask you this, but do you know for sure this is the same guy trolling the forum (same IP)?

Zyklon-A - 2-12-2014 at 11:09

If you don't ban his IP address he'll just keep coming back. I don't really care if he stays or not, he's funny and doesn't really do harm.
It would be better if this was a poll. Except he might vote to stay from all of his accounts, which could very well make the difference:D!

macckone - 2-12-2014 at 11:59

I say ban all but one account and give him a troll title.

elementcollector1 - 2-12-2014 at 13:06

Nah, he doesn't even deserve that much - we'd just be giving him attention, which is evidently what he craves.
I vote ban on sight, in keeping with previous policy...

phlogiston - 3-12-2014 at 02:46

Give him is own subforum 'village idiot'. It should generously satisfy his need for attention, would separate his crap cleanly from the rest of the forum and at the same time preserves any potentially interesting discussion his questions might provoke.

Bert - 3-12-2014 at 13:20

(Edit) In no way do I wish to appear to threaten anyone. Sorry if the first paragraph was taken that way, I was just explaining what I learned today and how.

I wish to offer this amnesty to our various users who have registered more than one account:

Come clean here, introduce yourself to the community and start over. Pick which name you will use, and all is forgiven (assuming you go forward in line with the fuidelines given in the FAQ and are an ethical, respectable member). Trust me, if you did this for attention- You have now received it.

If you feel there is a legitimate reason for using multiple identities here, PM me. I do understand that connecting you work/public ID to certain lines of personal interest inquiry might be a bad career decision...

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bert]

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bert]

chinchilla - 3-12-2014 at 20:41

Bert, you really hurt my feelings. I was trying offer a method for the manufacture of saltpeter using fixed nitrogen in the form of urea. I have engaged this process for seven summers and wanted to share it. I also have several issues regarding it that could value from input by others. If you feel i am not worthy of participating in the forum i won't. I have always enjoyedyour posts.

Bert - 3-12-2014 at 21:23

Chinchilla/various other names- Come in from the cold and participate. Please. It will be easier & waste less of your time, as well as ours to do so under a single identity. More time spent on our actual interests has to be an improvement?

Chemosynthesis - 4-12-2014 at 09:26

Maybe out of line, but here I am complaining about someone.

Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

If that would bother you, what about "blueberry58?" The guy claims to have an MD, yet also admits to treating patients with what is likely a sham treatment (fraud!), and clearly is abusing this forum for what should be simple work themselves, likely while being paid an above-average salary for their nationality, and not yet contributing anything in return.

Examples: not citing literature, repeatedly. Asking for medical lab apparatus sources. Asking questions on separation and purification without appropriate equipment.

Worst part not related to human health? Literally every single spoonfeeding post is replicated on chemicalforums. How many rules is this guy bending if not outright breaking?

DrMario - 4-12-2014 at 15:00

I see that Dr. Bob was mentioned in this thread. From the few exchanges we had on this forum, I got the impression that he, like me, is not a Dr. in chemistry but has a similar background like me, that is, micro-and-nanofabrication/technology.

j_sum1 - 4-12-2014 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Maybe out of line, but here I am complaining about someone.

Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

If that would bother you, what about "blueberry58?" The guy claims to have an MD, yet also admits to treating patients with what is likely a sham treatment (fraud!), and clearly is abusing this forum for what should be simple work themselves, likely while being paid an above-average salary for their nationality, and not yet contributing anything in return.

Examples: not citing literature, repeatedly. Asking for medical lab apparatus sources. Asking questions on separation and purification without appropriate equipment.

Worst part not related to human health? Literally every single spoonfeeding post is replicated on chemicalforums. How many rules is this guy bending if not outright breaking?
I believe the reference was to ThePHDChemist.
Blueberry is a different issue. But I agree, there is something weird happening here.

Bert - 4-12-2014 at 16:28

At some point, one needs to have acquired a reputation for giving as well as getting. I hope that bluberry58 might be able to help others as well as harvest information for his day job...

ThePhdChemist under his various incarnations is a quite different issue. And even he has occasionally thrown out something useful.

Dr. Bob is a stand up guy, no one needs to explain that or defend him to anyone who's been here long-

phlogiston - 4-12-2014 at 16:41

I don't see anything wrong with falsely claiming to hold a doctorate here. This is the internet. We all know people commonly pretend to be someone they are not. It'd be much better to judge people by their actual contributions and not their nick.

Besides, having a PhD myself, believe me that it means very little. Some of the smartest, most interesting and hard working people I know have no degree at all, and I know quite a few PhD's that are not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box and/or downright lazy.

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by phlogiston]

Little_Ghost_again - 30-12-2014 at 04:01

Nah you got to have a forum pet troll! and to be honest unlike most trolls he does get good replies that are well worth reading.
I also have to say that some the drug chemistry is really interesting!! I am not interested in the drugs but the chemistry side is amazing, also part of me thinks that its safer to have drugs on the street that are safe (yes its all relative) than totally deadly. People will always take drugs and others will always make them, An educated dealer is better than a you tube trained cook.
Besides lets face it people dont have to feed trolls if they dont want to, at least he isnt one of the ones that cause trouble. I would vote to keep him but maybe put him on diet ;)

APO - 11-1-2015 at 13:24

I'll be honest, I sort of trolled (blatantly lied) on one thread, but that was only because I thought if I just asked a simple question that it would be disregarded. I know that a lot of my genuine interest has come off kewlish or overly ambitious at times, but that's totally due to pure ignorance! Maybe we should inquire on any actual interest he has or what he knows/wants to know before we judge him too harshly. Sometimes people just need a little redirection. As long as someone shows some effort and improvement, they should not be banned. However, the multiple identities thing is what makes me a bit more suspicious towards him. I say he needs a bit further investigation.

Bert - 11-1-2015 at 13:36

From a forwarded PM exchange another member had with ONE of the personalities in question, that particular person wished to stimulate conversation, but expressed the view that he was essentially too important/intelligent to follow rules made for mere ordinary people (documenting sources, outlining proposed procedures, transcribing (keeping?!) lab notes- You know. The BORING stuff.)

*Sigh*

I'm too important too. Guess I'll go fishing and ignore the spam for a week or two.

[Edited on 11-1-2015 by Bert]

APO - 11-1-2015 at 14:27

Oh, I guess that's a bit more trollish. Maybe a ban is in order.

aga - 11-1-2015 at 14:55

Whether to ban or not is entirely a decision for the site operator(s).

Nobody here is truly 'real' - we're all subject to the Mask Effect when communicating by proxy.

Personally i don't find much offensive, and if a thread is of no interest to me, i get bored and skip to another.

If the 'troll' posts/threads are interesting, overall they're a + no ?

The fact that this is even being discussed points to the posts being Stimulating in some way.

Multiple IDs is plain silly, as the writing style shows the personality, so should be disallowed purely on the basis of the sillyness.

careysub - 12-1-2015 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Whether to ban or not is entirely a decision for the site operator(s).

Nobody here is truly 'real' - we're all subject to the Mask Effect when communicating by proxy.

Some of us use our real identity on this site - anyone can figure out who I am with a simple Google on my monicker. Another that comes to mind is Woelen.

APO - 12-1-2015 at 16:16

Using a pseudonym doesn't make anyone less real, maybe just a bit dehumanized. Back to the subject of banning, this thread is simply opinion based, no?

aga - 12-1-2015 at 16:36

The Mask Effect is that we do not behave entirely as we truly are when wearing the Mask.

Whether you use your real name or not on a forum does nothing to mitigate the effect.

For example, an extremely shy person can be outspoken here, as the layers of normal physical social interaction are missing.

I could, in real life, be deaf and dumb, so in real life, could/would say nothing in a meeting of minds such as this is.

woelen could possibly suffer from a debilitating stammer in real life, yet here, stands as a very well respected fount of knowledge.
(with very good English spelling and grammar might i add)

The Mask Effect is that we know that *some* social norms do not apply, and we run wild in some ways that we would not, if we were in a standard face-to-face situation.

At an extreme, the entire persona changes into something you would not recognise if met in the normal face-to-face way.

APO - 12-1-2015 at 17:59

Oh, I see what you mean.

Bert - 2-2-2015 at 00:01

I have spent some time recently "researching the research" on online fraud, lies, "astro turfing" and forum sock puppetry (my particular hot button issue of late). Studying detection algorithms and their applications as well as the underlying motives for such activities, some fairly universal "tells" to written falsehoods and the functionally required degrees and manners of correlation between multiple fake and occasionally real identities wielded online to a purpose.

OF COURSE there's an app for detecting that- But the basic research on how, why, how frequently and to what extent people are lying on line has been quite a revelation to me. And raised questions I had never had before.

We evolved for a good long period without written records... All our little lies (and eventually even the known big ones) disappeared into the mists of time. We all lie. There are studies and published statistics, if you want to get an idea of the average numbers and types we tell every day. And for the last tens of thousands of years of this fairly universal human behavior, very little or no documentation.

After writing became pervasive, our lies started to have more temporal persistence... But not much was recorded in hand written form, nor even in printed format. No time, no motivation for so much of our daily communications, which were still mostly spoken.

Now, with the exception of your face to face time and some phone conversations- Every lie has a new and largely unprecedented level of persistence. Another case of our technology outrunning our biologically hard wired and socially evolved stratagems. Texts, tweets, emails, FORUM POSTS. They never really go away completely. Even if you lose your records, NSA has made sure THEIR copy will survive a nuclear war.

Diamonds aren't forever. But the time you went on the forum, pretended to be a woman, then later claimed you were a pre-operative tranny? Or that other time, when you invented a career, an episode with substance abuse and a good bit of window dressing to support all that structure. It's all going to outlive you. Even IP spoofing or masking isn't quite what some may think, especially if a user were so lazy or habit driven as use the same methods on multiple occasions, forums and sock puppets-

Between the social engineering aspects and the intrinsic technological fingerprints, we have no more true anonymity or deniability. And this record of our electronically committed deeds will outlive us all, short of a nova or such.

Ah, brave new world...

[Edited on 2-2-2015 by Bert]

AsocialSurvival - 2-2-2015 at 02:28

Wow.....when did Bert became super administrator....I haven't even noticed when he became administrator?

Why're you mentioning me? I can't understand even a single word from this whole topic.

Correct, I was reinacenated as TerroristChemist, and that's all, because some police are searching for me on the internet, and they wanna arrest me, because of (as they say) "torture, extortion, threat".

Back to chemistry...I'm very busy with my Gold production, here's the process:

1) concentrate heavy water by distillation or electrolysis

2) fuse deuterium to make neutrons

3) use solutions in water of elements to convert them to higher elements in periodic table (e.g. Fe=>...Cu...Pt=>Au) (neutron absorption)

* water is moderator

* get only stable isotopes of element which I want to produce, by using low neutron flux, and circulating it using dc motor underwater and electrode or ion exchange resins...for example, first isotope formed by neutron absorptions is 197-Au (the only stable), and if it is quickly removed - that's it

* Energy needed for fusion is ~ 1 MeV/atom = 26.801 MWh/mol of Deuterium

* maybe use spallation neutron source instead of deuterium

* use only dc voltage and capacitors and dc motor for making extremely high voltage (1 MV or more)

* use soil, wood, air, and water as free resources

* advantages: easy to find buyer and easy to carry (small)

* happy now? Ok, I am busy....leave me alone until I finish it

j_sum1 - 2-2-2015 at 02:33

*sigh*

Zombie - 2-2-2015 at 03:48

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
*sigh*

Now that's some funny stuff right there. Makes a fella happy to be alive!

Bert - 2-2-2015 at 06:24

Quote: Originally posted by AsocialSurvival  

Why're you mentioning me?

I did not mention your specific kettle of crazy. Or even THINK about "you" while writing that, there's a larger issue in play here.

Me, me, me. Get over yourself.

jock88 - 2-2-2015 at 12:55

Making gold can have the coppers on your back in no time.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-tried-to...

Zombie - 2-2-2015 at 13:05

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  

Making gold can have the coppers on your back in no time.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-tried-to...

Not to mention the Illuminatti's goon squad.

251143-2012-someone-loves-his-guinness.jpg - 53kB

morganbw - 2-2-2015 at 16:06

Is banning possible or is there the Lazarus effect in play here?

Zombie - 2-2-2015 at 17:01

From what I gather Lazarus effect is the crux of the thread. Mr' Bert has pointed to new Tech. to detect this but is seems to be a matter of leave well enough alone or continually re-sift the hay for needles.

Play a guessing game? Deal with it?

Say the hell with it, and let the members decide what is worth response. You fellas do a GREAT job of keeping information correct, and worthy. Who cares the motive of the OP.

Chasing a clown around, and dealing with disruption is a different issue. Unfortunately that is the part, and parcel of the nature of a forum. From my experience on several forums... All these clowns eventually find something else to do, and vanish.

jock88 - 2-2-2015 at 17:09

Some things never change.

sigh

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/reagan-pub-being-shippe...

images.jpg - 11kB

TheChemiKid - 2-2-2015 at 17:09

Ban him. He creates more problems then he fixes.

morganbw - 5-2-2015 at 09:47

Poor soul,
delusions of grandeur or really great meds.

Amos - 5-2-2015 at 12:01

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
Poor soul,
delusions of grandeur or really great meds.

Who?

Cheapest and best way to make neutron?

Savior - 12-2-2015 at 01:10

Which way is best?
1) heavy water, deuterium fusion (very low abundance)
2) proton electron fusion (need more information about this)
3) spallation neutron source (looks like needs very high voltage > 1 GeV)
4) other???

Chemosynthesis - 12-2-2015 at 05:10

For what purpose? Purchasing a neutron source like a cobalt-60 sample or building a fusor is probably cheapest for an amateur or small business, lab, etc.

careysub - 12-2-2015 at 07:03

Linear accelerator deuteron sources/deuterium loaded target (the way they make neutrons to trigger nuclear weapons) works well also. There are other ion/target combos that generate neutrons, but D+D is by far the most prolific, unless you have access to tritium. The accelerator voltage required is only 120 kV.

They actually sell tubes filled with several milligrams of tritium gas as warning signs (cost a few hundred $, and an NRC license to possess). If you were clever enough to build a deuteron source using a few milligrams of deuterium gas, then you could do the same with the tritium (and violate the NRC license) and get a way powerful source of high energy neutrons.

Tritium gas glow tubes are available from Europe and Israel up to about one milligram of tritium that you can buy online still, but doing so isn't strictly by the rules.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by careysub]

Savior - 12-2-2015 at 07:28

I don't need high-energy neutrons, but many neutrons, the more the better. Something like 1 kg of neutrons by mass.

Is there any cheaper way than using Deuterium?

I mean using heavy water for such large quantity of neutrons...?!?

What about proton electron fusion? Whay's there so little information on internet about it? I've read that it can be performed with very low voltage and pressure only slightly lower than atmospheric, and they said that if you do that you will produce some weird new elements and even new subatomic particles! Is that joke? They say that all those neutrons, protons, and all elements produced will be different from normal ones! The reason is, as they say, the different spins and some angles....

Also, isn't beam-beam collision better than beam-target?

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by Savior]

careysub - 12-2-2015 at 07:52

Quote:
I don't need high-energy neutrons, but many neutrons, the more the better. Something like 1 kg of neutrons by mass.

Is there any cheaper way than using Deuterium?

By far the most economical source of neutrons by the kilogram is the fission reactor. Just need 30 tonnes of natural uranium metal, and a few hundred of graphite or 3 tonnes of U and 10 tonnes of heavy water.

Quote:

What about proton electron fusion? Whay's there so little information on internet about it?

This is the regulating step in stars, that keep them burning for billions of years instead of blowing up instantly. That is to say, it is extremely slow.

How slow? In the center of the sun, with its extreme pressures and temperatures, it proceeds at such a rate similar to the heating of a compost heap, your own metabolism far outstrips it.

How slow? So slow that it has never been experimentally observed on Earth.

Quote:

I've read that it can be performed with very low voltage and pressure only slightly lower than atmospheric, and they said that if you do that you will produce some weird new elements and even new subatomic particles! Is that joke?

Maybe.

Quote:
Also, isn't beam-beam collision better than beam-target?

No. With a target you have an enormously higher chance of hitting something. If you dueling with someone, and you fire at the same time, the bullets are far more likely to hit you, and your opponent, than collide in mid-air.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by careysub]

Savior - 12-2-2015 at 08:19

That's what I was searching for! Thanks, going for it!
Almost forgot for old-fasioned fission...

Also, can you explain why is pe fusion so slow? I've read on Wikipedia that it can be made fast if higher voltage is used (100 MV to 1 GeV instead of sun core's conditions of 1 MeV to 100 MeV). Is it correct?

Also, what is energy (voltage) needed to initiate fission using neutron? Less or more than for deuterium fusion?

Dr Zeibenstein - 12-2-2015 at 09:50

Americium from ionizing smoke detector and a sheet of Beryllium.
Americium Beryllium neutron source

Cheapest I could think of?

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by Dr Zeibenstein]

careysub - 12-2-2015 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by Savior  
That's what I was searching for! Thanks, going for it!
Almost forgot for old-fasioned fission...

Also, can you explain why is pe fusion so slow?

Technically it is p-p fusion (I forgot to point this out). This relies on the weak force to turn a proton into a neutron (by capturing an electron), which is why it is slow. Most nuclear reactions (fusion and fission) rely on the strong force and have enormously higher reaction cross sections.

Quote:
I've read on Wikipedia that it can be made fast if higher voltage is used (100 MV to 1 GeV instead of sun core's conditions of 1 MeV to 100 MeV). Is it correct?

No. The average kinetic energy in the Sun's core is only 1.3 keV for starters.

Quote:
Also, what is energy (voltage) needed to initiate fission using neutron? Less or more than for deuterium fusion?

Zero energy. There is no energy barrier to overcome. Fission can be performed with ultra-cold neutrons that are travelling about as fast as you can walk.

neptunium - 12-2-2015 at 18:04

electron capture happens in some decay process i dont know how it could be triggered efficiently other than creating what nature does in a neutron stars. the result of the collapse beyond the Chandrasekhar limit. which is hard to do on earth to put it mildly.
every fissile nucleus has a different cross section most U235 reactor work with thermal neutron (meaning moving at thermal speed, not accelerated by high voltage difference) requiring a moderator to slow down the initial neutron. that only apply at the very begining of the reactor's life when the fuel is brand new.
As to the speculative high preassure low voltage electron capture creating funny spins and element and/or particles, i am a lot more reserved than Careysub and would call it a joke ... indeed

Savior - 12-2-2015 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  

As to the speculative high preassure low voltage electron capture creating funny spins and element and/or particles, i am a lot more reserved than Careysub and would call it a joke ... indeed

They called them quasi neutrons, quasi elements, quasi particles...but I can't find that PDF (which I read a month ago) document on Google! And I believe electron and proton can collide in normal fusor to generate a neutron, but I'm interested in cost! Is it cheaper than making heavy water and fusing deuterium?

Sulaiman - 13-2-2015 at 11:10

I believe that if you live in the USA the deliberate generation of neutrons is illegal and most other countries take a dim view.

I think that satellite detection of neutrons is used to detect nuclear threats
so expect visitors !

neptunium - 13-2-2015 at 16:42

oh come on! no body will knock on your door if you run a fusor in your basement for 3 and a half minute every sunday afternoon now!
besides, once you get the equipment, pumps and chamber o rings high voltage etc... you still have to get the deuterium and this is now classified as a nuclear device wich makes it very hard to obtain nowadays..
Only a few home scientist have to time and financial ressources to make it happen as far as i know...
not the typical week end project!

[Edited on 14-2-2015 by neptunium]

Etaoin Shrdlu - 13-2-2015 at 19:10

For what do you need a kilogram of neutrons? I'm dying to know.

Texium - 13-2-2015 at 19:16

Also would you expect them to just sit around like a very generic, neutral, gray block of neutrality?

macckone - 13-2-2015 at 19:18

Fusor are not too difficult to make and deuterium oxide is available online, or make it yourself by boiling thousands of gallons of water.

Sulaiman - 13-2-2015 at 21:58

Quote: Originally posted by neptunium  
oh come on! no body will knock on your door if you run a fusor in your basement for 3 and a half minute every sunday afternoon now!
[Edited on 14-2-2015 by neptunium]

I suspect that generating 1 kg of neutrons will not go un-noticed.

P.S. I'm 'Harmlees', you're an 'international hazard' :D

Bert - 13-2-2015 at 22:41

If you generated a kg of free neutrons in a home lab setting at one time, I suspect satellite observation would not be your most pressing concern.

neptunium - 14-2-2015 at 05:43

1 kg of free neutron flying out of a concentrated area????? screw the satellite dude! you wont live long enough to answer homeland security knocking at your door! your house would have to be burried in concrete!
what do you need that much for i dont get it?

BromicAcid - 14-2-2015 at 05:45

neutrons + mercury = profit?

neptunium - 14-2-2015 at 05:49

ha! the oldest trick! good luck!

Savior - 19-2-2015 at 03:24

To make Gold, of course, but if needed, a nuclear bomb, why not?

If I feel threat coming from Russia, should I rely on my country to protect me? Of course not! We're very close to Russia. They said they're gonna destroy whole world if they get angry... (see Google news)

Here's calculation, if anybody's interested. These are just approximations, correct me if I'm wrong.

1 kg Deuterium = 0.5 kg neutrons
0.5 kg neutrons = 250 g usable neutrons from fusion in fusor (because probability for getting free neutron is ~50%)
250 g neutrons = 250 g Gold
(because even if I include protons from element like Iron from which I will start neutron slow absorption, neutrons in 197-Au are >50%, and if I consider some losses, that's just to be sure)

So, 1 kg Deuterium is 250 g Au.
In water there is 156 ppm or 0.0156% Deuterium, which is 39 ppm Au.

39 ppm Au means (gold in water):
39 g in 1 000 000 g, or
3.9 g in 100 000 g, or
0.39 g in 100 000 g, or
39 mg in 10 000 g, or
3.9 mg in 1 kg, and it means about :
3.9 mg Au in L water !!!

Big yields! Compare it to 1 ppb Au in 1 kg soil.

And I will ignore energy needs for fusion, because quantity of Gold or neutrons is small. Or even energy is not lost...

Imagine now using natural resources to boil water: wood, sun...

And total independance, not only for money, but for nuclear weapons also!

And ISIL will come to us from south, Rusia from east, USA from west! Very little time we have!

Or maybe the amount of Gold is double...because it is 156 ppm D by number of atoms, which is 312 ppm by weight!

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Savior]

Bert - 19-2-2015 at 07:30

I think there's another member here who is working on your exact idea! You should talk to him about ALL your ideas, he's very much interested in those topics-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/member.php?action=viewpro...

He is so like you, it's remarkable. Right down to using the same mobile device and software!

gdflp - 19-2-2015 at 07:54

I thought this thread sounded familiar, I've been wondering about that for a while. After his last post, it's obvious.

Zyklon-A - 19-2-2015 at 08:07

I think you'd have better luck trying to capture a neutron star.

Quote:

0.5 kg neutrons = 250 g usable neutrons from fusion in fusor (because probability for getting free neutron is ~50%)

Why? Will it take ten minutes to transfer them?
Quote:

[...]correct me if I'm wrong.

download (1).jpg - 5kB download.jpg - 11kB images.jpg - 12kB
Get the picture?

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Zyklon-A]

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 08:13

And this gets taken seriously here?

I just saw a supersonic pig fly past.

Bert - 19-2-2015 at 08:40

It is wrong of me to encourage reacting to the trolls, any notice at all is just "feeding the troll". Sorry everyone.

It would also probably be wrong of me to just take every user name associated with starting such topics and use the "delete all posts" function, followed by an IP ban. There IS a bit of baby in this bath water perhaps, somewhere?

Fulmen - 19-2-2015 at 09:41

I agree, Bert. It's not easy knowing where to draw the line. But I think there should be a strict policy against multiple users (choose one, and next time you're out).

Throwing people out for being wrong or even stupid, that's another story. As long as they play nice they at least provide some comical relief.

Zyklon-A - 19-2-2015 at 09:46

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
I think there should be a strict policy against multiple users (choose one, and next time you're out).

Why? Multiple troll users yes, there shouldn't even be one, but not real users.

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Zyklon-A]

Fulmen - 19-2-2015 at 09:51

Because it opens up to cheap tricks like sock-puppetry and whatnot. I'm not saying it should be an absolute rule, sometimes people have legitimate reasons for this but it should be done with the approval of the mods/board owner.

The Volatile Chemist - 19-2-2015 at 09:52

Brain and Force is fine having two, but Brain and Farce, and all the other derivatives, well... I vote no multiple users unless verified with an admin.

Brain&Force - 19-2-2015 at 10:35

Brain&Farce isn't me...

I lost the password to Toilet Plunger a while ago btw.

Bert - 19-2-2015 at 10:35

I suppose creating a "thread of shame" and merging all of the threads as they're identified would be an option.

But I'd rather spend my time at the bench & hood than collating all of these.

Fulmen - 19-2-2015 at 10:45

What? You work for us, no slacking off! :D

Bert - 19-2-2015 at 11:01

Hey, double my pay and...

What, 2 X nothing still equals 0?

Fulmen - 19-2-2015 at 11:23

LOL! I've been a mod for a much larger board, I know what it's like. You just do what you have to to keep the place in line without too much work, if that means slapping down people who can't behave so be it.

Bert - 22-2-2015 at 05:21

I believe in your dog more than in you too!

If you have lost/forgot your password, it can be reset. I can't access passwords to tell you what it was though.

[Edited on 22-2-2015 by Bert]

Amos - 22-2-2015 at 06:55

Alright, we've just confirmed Savior as PHDChemist and AsocialSurvival.

Chemosynthesis - 22-2-2015 at 07:16

The bigger question is why did he post a picture of me and my dog?

blogfast25 - 22-2-2015 at 07:40

Since Bert became admin, weird things are happening here.

No. Nothing weird. As a new moderator Bert does a good job, one that isn't easy with trolls/sock puppets like you around.

[Edited on 22-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Fulmen - 22-2-2015 at 07:41

Chemo: That's you? Posting a picture of another member without their permission should not be tolerated (at least unless previously posted here), and in this case it seems to be akin to impersonation. If I were running this board (I'm not so take my advice any way you like, I'm not telling anybody what to do) it would take a damned good explanation or an unconditional apology to stop me from banning the offender.

This forum sails under the flag of science, I personally expect people here to behave in a professional manner.

Chemosynthesis - 22-2-2015 at 08:09

Chemo: That's you?
No! Sorry, I almost put the sarcasm tag on there, but didn't. It's not me.

Fulmen - 22-2-2015 at 08:14

OK, my bad.

blogfast25 - 22-2-2015 at 08:20

This forum sails under the flag of science, I personally expect people here to behave in a professional manner.

Not a 'professional manner' but at least an attempt at behaving as a scientist.

Do amateur footballers not try to play football and not 'amateur football'?

Yet here there's an 'anything goes' mentality.

Zombie - 22-2-2015 at 08:32

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Also would you expect them to just sit around like a very generic, neutral, gray block of neutrality?

I have a pocket full, and they seem pretty
iniquous to me. :cool:

Zombie - 22-2-2015 at 08:38

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
I think there's another member here who is working on your exact idea! You should talk to him about ALL your ideas, he's very much interested in those topics-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/member.php?action=viewpro...

He is so like you, it's remarkable. Right down to using the same mobile device and software!

christopher-walken-cowbell-soundboard-i151_zps1d87a88f.jpg - 12kB

aga - 22-2-2015 at 08:38

No idea what you get out of your Behaviour.

That post goes too far.

This should be a police matter now.

Zombie - 22-2-2015 at 08:46

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Hey, double my pay and...

What, 2 X nothing still equals 0?

1 = 1
1 + 1 = 2
1 nothing = 1 nothing
1 nothing + 1 nothing = 2 nothing

I think your wrong Bert.

Just sayin' ;)

Zombie - 22-2-2015 at 08:55

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
No idea what you get out of your Behaviour.

That post goes too far.

This should be a police matter now.

I absolutely / 100% / without any shadow of doubt agree.
I'd like to have this kid face to face to teach him how NOT cool that is.

In fact maybe the parents in the linked article would like to assist me.

I can't even say politely how offensive this prick is. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

aga - 22-2-2015 at 09:17

It isn't anything other than a claim that should now be investigated by the police.

Glad i took a screen shot - seems the post has been deleted.

Would email or U2U be better for you Bert, so you can organise the police investigation ?

blogfast25 - 22-2-2015 at 09:49

Aga:

This is not a police matter, at least not for us. The member needs to be 'permanently' banned, that's all.

gdflp - 22-2-2015 at 10:00

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
The member needs to be 'permanently' banned

I agree. He went wayyyy too far.

[Edited on 2-22-2015 by gdflp]

Zombie - 22-2-2015 at 10:04

Agreed!

Perhaps a person on the net "claiming to have done this DOES deserve a knock on the door tho.

WAKE UP CALL!!!

aga - 22-2-2015 at 10:26

Claiming to have raped and murdered someone is not something to be taken lightly or ignored.

It boosts the user from 'slight annoyance' in a virtual online playground, straight into the Real World, where things like rape and murder actually happen, and the perpetrators get caught and put in prison.

Good police enforcement starts at home.

Pages:  1