Sciencemadness Discussion Board

i,i dimethyl iodobenzene

xxxxx - 18-2-2006 at 13:32

i was interested in whether it may possible to produce i,i dimethyl iodobenzene (where both methyl groups are on the iodine). supposedly i,i dichloro iodobenzene could be formed according to organic synthesis then methyllithium could be added. maybe someone could tell me if this would or would not work, or if there might be an easier method.

majdo - 22-2-2006 at 08:03

This problem refers to hypervalent iodine chemistry and it's quite fresh topic.Never heard of something like iodine bonded with 3 carbons.My intuition :) says that your proposition of preparation is highly unlikely.

Nicodem - 22-2-2006 at 10:32

Methyl groups are not electronegative enough to keep iodine in the +3 oxidation state.

Therefore the reaction of 2 equivalents of MeLi with PhICl2 would be very violent and exothermic. If tempered with cold and dilution it should result in iodobenzene, LiCl and some oxidation byproducts of methyl lithium (ethane probably).

unionised - 26-2-2006 at 02:24

"This problem refers to hypervalent iodine chemistry and it's quite fresh topic.Never heard of something like iodine bonded with 3 carbons"

The corresponding fluoride and chloride are discussed in Sidgwick's "chemical elements and their compounds" published in 1950, though I accept that's not the same as a trialkyl iodine.
I guess Nicodem is probably right about the dimethyl version but I wouldn't be suprised if there were a bis trifluoromethyl compound. Certainly, simple electronegativity arguments can't rule out I(C6H5)3

[Edited on 26-2-2006 by unionised]

majdo - 27-2-2006 at 00:35

You are right.I got some old books that describe these compounds are KNOWN for some time,however interest in them has been developed recently.These are derivatives of iodobenzene.Two of three iodine bonds(or 4 of 5 if iodine is pentavalent) are with most electronegative elements (O,N and Cl of course like here).There are some publications i.e on

www.organic-chemistry.org

unionised - 28-2-2006 at 12:07

Of course, the important thing is that, young, old, or indifferent, these things are interesting.:)