Sciencemadness Discussion Board

urea from household avilable chemical?

menchaca - 22-3-2003 at 08:02

hello again! I hope one day,i´ll be able to anwer questions not only to make it but..
well here is the question is there a way to obtain urea from household chemicals such as ammonia and similars thanks a lot

Nick F - 22-3-2003 at 08:42

1kg of urea should cost you no more than £1/$1.50 at an ordinary garden centre. It is sold as lawn food, often with "soluble", "fast-acting" or something similar on the packet, not "slow release" or "controlled release". It's NPK rating will be 46-0-0 and it should also say "ureic nitrogen, 46%" somewhere on the packet, or words to that effect.
It WILL be there somehwere, just check the ingredients of the fertilisers that they have.

Ramiel - 24-3-2003 at 21:15

I get my urea (~90%) from a 'Produce wholesaler', it was AU$ .8 for a kilo. This guy supplies all the farmers in the region; he's a bit shady, so we have this understanding.

:D

mykhal - 4-4-2003 at 08:51

What about isolation from urine? Why to waste it?

Haggis - 4-4-2003 at 09:07

I would rather pay the price for the urea than gathering, storing and processing many liters of urine. Some cold packs contain urea while others contain ammonium nitrate. Take a look at the content listing on the back.